Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Brady Quinn Likely

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Why are people making such a big deal out of a guy who will be our 3rd string qb?

Plenty of legitimate gripes with this team for us to cry about.

This isn't one of them.
    Because people are clueless and do not understand how the business of football works. From some of the posts in this thread you would think the Jets were ready to sign the guy to Brees-type contract. Never mind that we are looking for a one year stop gap and the guy may not even make the team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Agreed. Still, with the cards as they lay, there is little cap room to make a run at a legitimate QB. I know the team has to address the position after the revolt from the fans last year, and this is just what i expected due to Sanchez cap #.

Tannenbaum effectively killed the 2013 season with the Sanchez and Holmes contracts. Whats even worse, the writing was on the wall......the decline was visible.......and Tanny THEN sign them to mega deals?

Im fine with that really, but we shouldnt think for a split second that battling out McElroy, Sanchez, and Quinn would produce anything better than what the team had last year.
    What legitimate QBs are available?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say legitimate, but Matt Moore seems to be the best available.

He wouldn't be terrible as a stopgap type qb for this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be against bringing in Quinn if we exhausted all other options (Moore, etc). As bad as he's been I have a hard time believing he'd be any worse than Sanchez was last year. Our QB of the future is likely not going to be on next season's roster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before anyone answers, I think it is your responsibility to define "legitimate".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't go as far as to say legitimate, but Matt Moore seems to be the best available.

Matt Moore will cost more than Quinn. We do not have the luxury of spending extra $.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    Before anyone answers, I think it is your responsibility to define "legitimate".
    Actually it should be sdJetsetter's responsibility. His post:

Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Agreed. Still, with the cards as they lay, there is little cap room to make a run at a legitimate QB. I know the team has to address the position after the revolt from the fans last year, and this is just what i expected due to Sanchez cap #.

Tannenbaum effectively killed the 2013 season with the Sanchez and Holmes contracts. Whats even worse, the writing was on the wall......the decline was visible.......and Tanny THEN sign them to mega deals?

Im fine with that really, but we shouldnt think for a split second that battling out McElroy, Sanchez, and Quinn would produce anything better than what the team had last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Moore will cost more than twice as much as Quinn. Plus, what sense does it make to pay a guy like Moore almost 5 million to be just a stop gap? As bad as it may sound, I would almost rather see Sanchez play it out in the new system and go to a rookie half way through the year if Sanchez returns to his 2012 form.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Matt Moore will cost more than twice as much as Quinn. Plus, what sense does it make to pay a guy like Moore almost 5 million to be just a stop gap? As bad as it may sound, I would almost rather see Sanchez play it out in the new system and go to a rookie half way through the year if Sanchez returns to his 2012 form.
    This has pretty much been my philosophy this entire off season. Do not do anything with Sanchez' and Holmes' contracts. Ride them out for one more year and dump them next year when the cap hit will be a fraction of what it is today. People just need to get their heads around the jets being a 3-5 win team this year. There are just too may holes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchize fails that bad does he and Rex hit the bricks midway into the season so Idzik gets a jump on assembling "his" team. And if we bring in stop gaps why not Vince Young if nothing else he can run, plus MAY be motivated to earn his next check from ANOTHER team in 2014

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    If Sanchize fails that bad does he and Rex hit the bricks midway into the season so Idzik gets a jump on assembling "his" team. And if we bring in stop gaps why not Vince Young if nothing else he can run, plus MAY be motivated to earn his next check from ANOTHER team in 2014
    I am not convinced Rex will be gone after this year. The Jets are expected to do nothing and most likely will. There are no expectations from Rex other than to keep the team together. Even if they are a 3-5 team but hang tough in those losses it sill makes Rex look good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it should be sdJetsetter's responsibility. His post:

Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

How much do you or sdJETSetter understand about the current cap situation?

It's one thing to make some vague blanket-style remark about the Cap and how it relates to aquiring competition at that position?

Details?

BTW, my bad on knee-jerking to your post, I now realize that yours was dependent on his.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's one thing to make some vague blanket-style remark about the Cap and how it relates to aquiring competition at that position?

Details?

BTW, my bad on knee-jerking to your post, I now realize that yours was dependent on his.
    Enlighten us on the subject and who those QBs might be.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Details?

I understand that we have about $6m in cap room and still have to sign / replace about dozen free agents and also sign all of our draft picks. There is a very good site, http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html , that provides good info on the cap situation - and it aint pretty.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Enlighten us on the subject and who those QBs might be.
    Enlighten me on why you highlighted the wrong sentence.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enlighten me on why you highlighted the wrong sentence.
    ??? You claimed petejet and sdJETsetter didnt know about the cap situation, please tell us about it and who these free agent Qbs are.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    R-U- sure? It sounnds like Woody is setting up for us to get the 1st pick next year, & doesn't care about this season!
    I'm never sure about anything the Jets do. But I am sure that Mark Sanchez sucks. Bringing in Brady Quinn or any retread is immaterial. COMPETITION is the best that we can hope for in 2013 especially at the QB spot. For that reason alone this signing makes me happy.

All I am really hoping for is a guy that can hold on to the football. A guy that isn't turnover prone like Sanchez. Do I think Brady Quinn can be that? I don't know.

Part of me thinks that based on where he was picked in the draft that everyone that gets him is trying to make him into a franchise QB. That ship has passed. Brady Quinn will never be that. But if the CS trains him to be good at the handing the ball off, protecting the football, only take obvious gimme passes, then I think Quinn has a chance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    R-U- sure? It sounnds like Woody is setting up for us to get the 1st pick next year, & doesn't care about this season!

----------------------

I have no problem with this. The Colts went into 2011 with Curtis Painter as their starter. Made no effort to be competitive and ended up with a boatload of cap space and Andrew Luck. Look at them now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that we have about $6m in cap room and still have to sign / replace about dozen free agents and also sign all of our draft picks. There is a very good site, http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html , that provides good info on the cap situation - and it aint pretty.
    Jason has admitted that he doesn't have the exact details of the contracts.

Homes has a base 11mil salary, right? And then we find out:

there is offset language in Holmes' contract, meaning if he's cut, he can earn no more than $7.5 million in 2013.

Who are we to trust? What is the golden source for contract info? I like Jason, but I also know the he himself doesn't consider his own information truly accurate.

There is no true sourse to find all of the ins-and-outs of player contracts, and that's what I was getting at. Unless some smart guy starts a company with sports agents providing him the exact details and clauses of player contracts, you guys are farting in the f***ing wind with this salary cap talk.

You don't know ****. Neither do I.

And Jason doesn't know much more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    You want Vince Young to learn a brand new offense in just one offseason, good luck with that. Might as well bring in the Taco Bell flash cards you see on the sidelines of college games. Just tell Vince to run to the Border.