Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sense of entitlement in the NFL

Jets Insider VIP

Sense of entitlement in the NFL

It's easy to say now as a non NFL player that I would be happy with any contract....

But if you were a player of Revis' caliber, do you think you would settle? Or would you want to be paid as much as the best CB (and defensive player) in the league should be paid?

It's a shame Revis acts like a baby whenever a contract renewal is due. He kind of tarnished his tenure here, if he would have stayed quiet...im sure he would retire as a HOF'er and as a lifelong Jet.

I think it's best to trade him away to an NFC team, let him enjoy the weather in Cali. If we can get a few picks, then that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

It's easy to say now as a non NFL player that I would be happy with any contract....
    I'm still bummed that the Bears cut you, bro. Would have been cool to watch you in action.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm still bummed that the Bears cut you, bro. Would have been cool to watch you in action.

SAR I
    Yeah, I really thought it was my time. Im opening up a car dealership now.

All Pro
    He has every right to get as much as he can, but if he were smart he'd be more like Jeter, and less like ARod. If it was me I'd do whatever I could to be sure we won a SB with him, and that he was a life long team first player. He'd make a lot more money in the long run. He'd probably be happier. Have a better life, and a better legacy, but I guess you have to be who you are. When he's gone, he's gone, and I won't be thinking about him.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    hahaha

But if you were a player of Revis' caliber, do you think you would settle? Or would you want to be paid as much as the best CB (and defensive player) in the league should be paid?

It's a shame Revis acts like a baby whenever a contract renewal is due. He kind of tarnished his tenure here, if he would have stayed quiet...im sure he would retire as a HOF'er and as a lifelong Jet.

I think it's best to trade him away to an NFC team, let him enjoy the weather in Cali. If we can get a few picks, then that's cool.
    Not jumping on your post at all, but regarding the bolded part, is that supposed to be a concern for Revis, the fans, or both? I say that because the HOF doesnt take longevity with a program into consideration, especially in this day and age. Him retiring a Jet should be the least of his (or any players' on any team) concerns IMHO.

yes if you think......

youre that good and some one is willing to pay you for those services. then I guess you are entitled to ask for as much as you can get. to many times we fans become offended by what they pay and what players ask for. yes you are not in the game and if you were that good you would ask for as much as you can get. what I don't like is this thing where we want certain players to play for free. you wont go to your job and accept the minimum wage if others in your field were getting 20-30.00 and hour would you, no. another thing ive noticed is that when black players seek large paydays to many fans get offended, could this be built in envy. and these players are turned on way to fast for little or nothing. that's not loyalty, because there is no loyalty in this game, just money. get used to it, get over it, just be a fan and let the owners and players sort that out, that's what I do............

I would want to be the highest paid player at my position if i was the best player at my position. The years that I was the highest performing sales guy, I got paid the most and I wanted to be paid the most. Can't see how it would be different if i was a corner. Revis issue is that he wants to be the highest paid guy in the company

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I would want to be the highest paid player at my position if i was the best player at my position. The years that I was the highest performing sales guy, I got paid the most and I wanted to be paid the most. Can't see how it would be different if i was a corner. Revis issue is that he wants to be the highest paid guy in the company
    If you basically refused to come to work until you got a raise you would either have been let go or things would be very uncomfortable for you. If you did it a 2nd time all your good will, and trust would be used up. If the third time was looming and the company did not protect itself they would be idiots. If you switched companies you would give up your seniority, and whatever legacy you may have had there. Who knows how well you would do? Money isn't everything. Btw he doesn't want to be the highest paid at his position. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player.

Banned
    Yeah, I really thought it was my time. Im opening up a car dealership now.
    You do know that over 80% of businesses that ex-professional athletes open, fail within the first two years?

Hall Of Fame
    NFL players are entitled to ask for what they think they're worth. And NFL owners are entitled to tell them to go fvck themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If you basically refused to come to work until you got a raise you would either have been let go or things would be very uncomfortable for you. If you did it a 2nd time all your good will, and trust would be used up. If the third time was looming and the company did not protect itself they would be idiots. If you switched companies you would give up your seniority, and whatever legacy you may have had there. Who knows how well you would do? Money isn't everything. Btw he doesn't want to be the highest paid at his position. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player.
    Revis lost me, not that he cares, when he took his money up front and then didn't want to honor the rest of the years left on the contract that he signed. I remember hearing many Jets fans complain that he was only making a million dollars and deserved to have his contract torn up, totally ignoring the millions he had already put in his pocket. Then when he was given his front loaded re-do he mockingly said that he might do it again in a couple of years. He hasn't really had the chance because of his injuries since. Those are the reasons why, as great a corner as he is, I would never want to see him in Pats colors.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    NFL players are entitled to ask for what they think they're worth. And NFL owners are entitled to tell them to go fvck themselves.
    Well put!

All I said was that if I was the best,I would want to be paid the highest. That is what is wonderful about sales. You sell more - you get paid more. I also said that he does not want to be the highest paid at what he does, he wants to be the highest paid at the company.

Revis is a cut-throat businessman. And twice before did not act as a model employee, however this time he has not done anything "unethical" since last OTAs whee he refused to confirm or deny that he was going to show up in time for TC. I knocked him on this forum for it, but most jet fans were not annoyed by it- judging by their responses. This off season he has acted just like any other player seeking a extension during his walk year.

While Tanny messed up in the no tag, he did get the must show part right. He knew who he was dealing with.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    That pretty much sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Trying to compare it to day-to-day scenarios is ridiculous. Revis is better at doing something that is a marketable skill than anyone one of us is at anything. He is, quite literally, the single best cornerback in the world, in a system where the top player gets more than $10M a year, with a limited timeframe to do it.

Your company, if they wanted to spend the money, could replace you, me, or anyone else in a heartbeat. The Jets cannot, there is no one in the world that the Jets could use to replace Revis. Now, that's not the same as me saying he's worth the money, I don't really care about the holdouts, but I don't think the Jets should spend $15M/year on him either. But making comparisons to people working at jobs they can realistically do into their 60s that are similar to 1000s of people around the country doesn't serve a purpose.

NFL players have to make all the money they are going to need to live their entire lives in a job that most are out of in under 2 years. I do not blame them for leveraging their value for maximum payout.

Fans always say "I'd just be happy to play." Well, that's because we aren't world-class athletes. We're fan shlubs that drink too much and care too much about living vicariously through the success and failure of our teams. We work our whole lives to get by... NFL players work for as long as their talent or health holds up, and hope to make enough to live out their lives. Most of them don't have a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Trying to compare it to day-to-day scenarios is ridiculous. Revis is better at doing something that is a marketable skill than anyone one of us is at anything. He is, quite literally, the single best cornerback in the world, in a system where the top player gets more than $10M a year, with a limited timeframe to do it.

Your company, if they wanted to spend the money, could replace you, me, or anyone else in a heartbeat. The Jets cannot, there is no one in the world that the Jets could use to replace Revis. Now, that's not the same as me saying he's worth the money, I don't really care about the holdouts, but I don't think the Jets should spend $15M/year on him either. But making comparisons to people working at jobs they can realistically do into their 60s that are similar to 1000s of people around the country doesn't serve a purpose.
    Excellent post, but i think you missed one point.

"there is no one in the world that the jets could use to replace revis"....that isnt true.

There isnt anyone to replace him exactly, but what if you could get 75% of revis' production for 30% of the cost, while increasing the production of 3 other positions all for the same net cost?

That is why the only people who should care about trading away "our best player" should be 12 years old and younger. Sure its great to have the best CB in the game, but if that player is going to ultimately (and it will be slow and tough to see) sabotage the team by not allowing for a smart and balanced use of funds throughout the roster, then he should be traded in order to increase the teams chances of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Excellent post, but i think you missed one point.

"there is no one in the world that the jets could use to replace revis"....that isnt true.

There isnt anyone to replace him exactly, but what if you could get 75% of revis' production for 30% of the cost, while increasing the production of 3 other positions all for the same net cost?

That is why the only people who should care about trading away "our best player" should be 12 years old and younger. Sure its great to have the best CB in the game, but if that player is going to ultimately (and it will be slow and tough to see) sabotage the team by not allowing for a smart and balanced use of funds throughout the roster, then he should be traded in order to increase the teams chances of winning.
    Yeah, I was really talking about a 1 for 1 replacement. I agree with what you wrote, but I just wanted to simplify and limit the number of caveats for my overall point, which is a guy who is the single best at what he does in the world in an industry that pays millions for the best, and will not be the best for more than 5 more years is quite different than regular dudes.

First of all, any player only has a limited amount of time to collect on their special athletic gifts. So when I hear and see this "mevis" sh*t, the only thing I can think of is what would that very person do? If they were in Revis shoes, you can bet your A$$ they would be b*tching for more money also.

And this isn't simply about someone wanting more money, it is the kind of player that Darrelle Revis has turned out to be.

Has there ever been a New York Jet that has been as consistent as Revis? NO.

Has there ever been players in the history of the league that are as consistent as Revis is? Yes, probably. But you bet your A$$ those guys wanted to get paid also.

This isn't about some guy like Calvin Pace that got a huge payday through FA and never lived up to the expectations. This is about a guy that barring injury could very well go down as the best corner to have ever played the game. On top of that, this is about a guy that NEVER lets up. He is consistently the best corner in the game. We aren't talking about Cro here that had a few great seasons through other very average seasons.

What's worse is when I hear all of this sh*t about the Jets can't pay him what he wants. That's a crock of sh*t because the last time I checked we still have the same salary cap as every other team in the league. If we truly can't pay him because of all of the stupid contracts that Tanny wrote, well then whose fault is that? Certainly not Revis.

So really what this all boils down to is how important do you think Revis is when building a defense? Most of the posters on this site want to lessen the value of Revis by saying he isn't someone you can build a defense around. That's nothing more than OPINION, certainly not fact. I happen to firmly believe that you can build around Revis and create a top notch defense. That is also my opinuion, but it doesn't make it any more wrong than you.

And if you don't like Revis's greedy perception that everyone has for him, shove it up your A$$, because it isn't about to change and as I already explained he is certainly in the conversation of the very best defensive players in the game today. I don't care and I'm sure Revis doesn't either.

Contracts talks are business they are not personal. It isn't about you wanting him to have some sort of emotional attachment to the NYJ. It's about him getting all that he can get for his services.

You can also bet your A$$ that somebody is going to pay him a huge payday. That's a fact. So my immediate thought is if some other team can pay him, WHY CAN'T WE PAY HIM?

As has been already been mentioned we have the SAME salary cap as everyone else. So stop with nonsense about we can't pay him. Someone will sign him for big money and win a SB as a result. And if they can do it, WE CAN ALSO.
    Last edited by Mainejet; 02-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.