Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriots/BB and their playoff woes

JetsInsider.com Legend

Patriots/BB and their playoff woes

Honestly, you could look at that franchise and say that they're the most successful franchise in recent memory. How many times have they missed the playoffs in the last decade and a half? Twice? They've been in how many AFCCGs, and how many Superbowls? An undefeated regular season?

Yet, many of the fans feel that they've underachieved. And I'll tell you why I think this happens yearly.

The Patriots are arrogant, and that starts from Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Their arrogance and sense of entitlement causes them to overlook opponents, and they never learn year in and year out. The 3 Superbowl Championship teams were not as talented as the teams of recent memory. Especially on offense, yet they won vs a Rams superpower in one year.

They are a HOF coach, and a HOF QB, respectively, but recently every time they get close something happens that causes them to be crushed.

Forget the catch by David Tyree. Where was the NE offense the rest of the game?

Forget Eli Manning ruining the Patriots fun in the playoffs. The NE offense disappeared when it mattered most.

vs Ravens at home TWICE. L

vs Jets at home after they annihilated them 45-3 in the regular season in that stadium. L

Their arrogance and sense that they deserve to win, despite what they say is the biggest reason they overlook their opponents and look like crap in certain games.

One of the best teams in a decade and a half. Underachievers?

Discuss.

All League
    projection of self failure onto those more successful. Nothing more.

Ninety percent of what people attribute to them is self delusion and posturing to make their own situation seem more tolerable.

Happens in every aspect of life.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Gotta suck to be a Patriot or Patriot fan.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    projection of self failure onto those more successful. Nothing more.

Ninety percent of what people attribute to them is self delusion and posturing to make their own situation seem more tolerable.

Happens in every aspect of life.
    Losing 8 years straight is not successful. Nice try trackmarks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Losing 8 years straight is not successful.
    Then what do you call friggn' 44 years?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The last year I bought a Vette??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Jets haven't underachieved, they just stink. LOL. Most years, anyway.

Do you feel that the Pats "underachieved" since 2004? Like you should have at least another SB victory?

That's my point.

All League

You make my point

projection of self failure onto those more successful.
    The Jets are over 40 years and all you have to say is how the Pats aren't successful because of 8 years...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The last year I bought a Vette??
    Every time the Jets lose I buy another firearm.

I gotta get rid of some of this stuff.

Veteran
    Is this the part when you tell us. You ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Every time the Jets lose I buy another firearm.

I gotta get rid of some of this stuff.
    The Obamanation will be after you..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Is this the part when you tell us. You ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.
    None of us will ever know the extent of the "cheating", so I can't rely on that when I look at the Pats success in the early part of last decade.

I'm sure many other teams cheat as well.

Pats are always in the Superbowl picture, and recently have not closed the deal.

Teams like the Giants, Steelers, Packers and Ravens have done more in recent memory than the Pats, in terms of bringing home the trophy and overall success in the playoffs.

Pats need to win. Their window of awesomeness is closing.

You can't compare the Jets and the Pats. Like comparing an Iraqi soldier to a Delta Force Operator.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah but we lose 2 AFC Champ games and guys on this board are cumming in their pants that we have arrived.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The Obamanation will be after you..
    If only you knew what you were saying.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yeah but we lose 2 AFC Champ games and guys on this board are cumming in their pants that we have arrived.
    In terms of the Jets, that's major accomplishment city right there.

Beating the Pats in the playoffs is our Superbowl. That's pathetic.

You can't compare the two. Organizations are run very differently.

Hall Of Fame
    You sound a little bit like the Mets fans who knock the Yanks for only winning once in the past decade.

Should the Pats have won at least one more SB? Yes. But I have a hard time labeling a team that has dominated a division for a decade "underachievers". Actually, they have nearly dominated a conference, winning 5 crowns in that time.

The NFL is designed to prevent such things. We barely put together back-to-back decent seasons before it all crumbled. What the Pats have done in the era of the salary cap is exceptional.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If only you knew what you were saying.
    I do and no one is ever taking mine..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Jets haven't underachieved, they just stink. LOL. Most years, anyway.

Do you feel that the Pats "underachieved" since 2004? Like you should have at least another SB victory?

That's my point.
    Just getting to the Super Bowl is extremely difficult.

AV misses a couple of kicks, the Pats could be 0-5 in Super Bowl games.

Tyree doesn't make a circus catch or Samuel doesn't drop a game-ending INT and Welker makes that grab, the Pats could be 5-0 in Super Bowl games.

When the Pats won SB's 3 out of 4 years, expectations for them to keep winning were very high.

To answer your question, based on expectations, I do feel the Pats have underachieved with regards to the ultimate goal over the past 8 years.

Unfortunately, it is what it is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You sound a little bit like the Mets fans who knock the Yanks for only winning once in the past decade.

Should the Pats have won at least one more SB? Yes. But I have a hard time labeling a team that has dominated a division for a decade "underachievers".

The NFL is designed to prevent such things. We barely put together back-to-back decent seasons before it all crumbled. What the Pats have done in the era of FA is exceptional.
    I'm not comparing the two. And since we can have people on here constantly remind everyone that the Jets haven't won in 1,000 years, I can discuss the rivalry of my team, who I know probably better than any other team in the NFL because of that rivalry.

I don't follow baseball, or basketball or anything like that. I love football, and watch as many games as possible.

I feel that the Patriots have been special over the years, but always seem to lose in crucial spots as of late. That's the NFL, yes, but they've had so many more chances than teams that have done more.

Instead of discussing possible Revis trades, if Manti Te'o is gay, fat or slow, and Brady Quinn joining the Jets over and over again, I started this thread.

Joke or not, this is part of the Pats' recent history. Why don't they have a 4th Lombardi Trophy? My opinion, I'm entitled.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Just getting to the Super Bowl is extremely difficult.

AV misses a couple of kicks, the Pats could be 0-5 in Super Bowl games.

Tyree doesn't make a circus catch or Samuel doesn't drop a game-ending INT and Welker makes that grab, the Pats could be 5-0 in Super Bowl games.

When the Pats won SB's 3 out of 4 years, expectations for them to keep winning were very high.

To answer your question, based on expectations, I do feel the Pats have underachieved with regards to the ultimate goal over the past 8 years.

Unfortunately, it is what it is.
    That's my point, Mike. I think they should have at least 1 more as well. I'm not trying to knock them, they're awesome and I hate them for it, but they're a TEAM.

Comparing them to the Jets is stupid. Not in the same universe. Especially now.

I'm sick of talking about how awesome Revis is, and that we should pay him what Tom Brady makes. An honest, decent discussion of the Pats wouldn't kill anyone.