Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bad are they getting me?

Jets Insider VIP
    crash - its a good thing you didn't put any useless info into your post like age of car, mileage, last time you had it serviced, whether you bought it or leased, etc.

Those prices are a hosing. Taking it to an Acura dealer on LI would result in almost the same. Some of that you can do yourself, and ordering over the Internetz will save you money on parts. You could also find an Acura forum for your model and find out how to do some of that stuff and where to get good deals.

Or you could be a giant sissy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    crash - its a good thing you didn't put any useless info into your post like age of car, mileage, last time you had it serviced, whether you bought it or leased, etc.

Those prices are a hosing. Taking it to an Acura dealer on LI would result in almost the same. Some of that you can do yourself, and ordering over the Internetz will save you money on parts. You could also find an Acura forum for your model and find out how to do some of that stuff and where to get good deals.

Changing an air filter is easier than posting a picture in the Hampur. Those prices are for 70 year old widow women or guys who have so much money the just don't give a crap.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Changing an air filter is easier than posting a picture in the Hampur. Those prices are for 70 year old widow women or guys who have so much money the just don't give a crap.
    Calling out other posters is against the TOS.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Calling out other posters is against the TOS.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm just trying to make a man out of him

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Don't bother with an alignment until you get new tires. Then, and only then, should it be done, and even at that point it's not totally neccessary unless you have Popeye fore arms from trying to keep the car straight on the highway.

A/C filter is bogus.

Transmission flush is only like every 60,000 or 90,000 miles.

Do your brakes squeak, or the peddle presses almost to the floor? Then don't bother yet.

This.
    Take it from a cane-shaker pushing 180,000 miles on his 4Runner. I've been driving around with a blown shock for years because I can't justify the expense.

Alignment you pretty much have to do when you get new tires, otherwise **** that unless your steering wheel is wobbling in your hands.

Scrap the rotor job unless you're way past the squealing brakes period and into full-fledged 'feels like you're stopping on gravel' mode.

AC filter? lolz

Transmission fluid check your manual, its usually only once every 60-75k or somewhere around there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Those prices are for 70 year old widow women or guys who have so much money the just don't give a crap.
    or people who brush their teeth in public bathrooms.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Says the guy who's squemish when other people brush their teeth.

For the record, its an 05' MDX with about 68K on it. I have it serviced every 3-4k miles and have no real intention of getting a new car in the next 3-5 years.

I'm the anti-SAR that way.

But, I'm pretty much right with SAR that I laughed out loud when you suggested that I order the parts myself. That's pretty funny.
    Last edited by crasherino; 02-28-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

dealerships are for chumps. if my car broke down in front of a dealership I'd have it towed somewhere else.

there's nothing more important than finding a mechanic you trust. ask all your friends and co-workers. best bet is a guy in a crappy garage with low overhead. if he does inspections you've hit pay dirt.

i need new tires and there's no way I'm going to a tire place for installation, they'll always find something you don't need. i just ordered them online and I'm going to drop them off at my guy's shop. he's the only guy that touches our cars that are out of warrantee.

not to mention that metro NYC has high scrupleless dick rate...
    Yeah I hate the Jiffy Lube "consultation." It's enough to make me not go there.

Reminiscent of the old Circuit City extended warranty hard sell.
    Unfortunately, I can't take my car to my shade tree mechanic neighbor for servicing in exchange for a six pack. On the flipside though, he doesn't ask me to shovel his driveway. And I don't speak Erdu/Pashtu or any other 'u' that would allow me to get in tight with any of the auto shops on or near 11th avenue. I'm guessing if I left my car there, I'd probably get it back without a radio.

So, if you have any recommendations for a dependable garage in Manhattan, I'm all ears. And being that you object to Jiffy Lube as well, I'm pretty much SOL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

For the record, its an 05' MDX with about 68K on it. I have it serviced every 3-4k miles and have no real intention of getting a new car in the next 3-5 years.

Along with the transmission flush, did they say you'd need new Meyerhoff lifters?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Along with the transmission flush, did they say you'd need new Meyerhoff lifters?
    No - but they told me that I needed a whole bunch of plugs replaced. I told them no thanks - I gotta messageboard buddy who could hook me up right cheap.

Hall Of Fame
    please do not get upset. when you post these you will be insulted 90 percent of the time, but you might actually find a nugget. maybe..possibly..unlikely

Tires wearing unevenly?

Rotate the tires.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Tires wearing unevenly?

Rotate the tires.
    I'll bet you have a "guy" who fixes your car.

I don't see you following the 15k/30k/50k maintenance program when the postcard arrives in the mail.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

please do not get upset. when you post these you will be insulted 90 percent of the time, but you might actually find a nugget. maybe..possibly..unlikely
    Which part did I get upset at? Should have used a smilie, I guess.

I was actually shocked that I got so much real feedback. I had no idea we had so many handy Hampurites.

I think I'll start a TV thread.

I don't see you following the 15k/30k/50k maintenance program when the postcard arrives in the mail.
    Wait....what do you mean you don't follow the program? its optional?

I currently own 5 friggin' cars, you bet I have a guy.

He probably has a boat named: "The FF2®".

Hall Of Fame
    Which part did I get upset at? Should have used a smilie, I guess.

I was actually shocked that I got so much real feedback. I had no idea we had so many handy Hampurites.

I think I'll start a TV thread.

yeah my driveway was icy yesterday and the oil truck couldn't make it up. i had to buy two new gas cans and get the oil myself. last time I bought one of those frigging new fangled self locking gas cans and I decided I'd by the old fashioned kind this time. didn't know they were illegal. i considered starting a "who invented these new f*ing gas cans" thread and putting out a feeler for old illegal cans. but I was exhausted from the insults in the Erin Andrew fifty cents thread.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I currently own 5 friggin' cars, you bet I have a guy.

He probably has a boat named: "The FF2®".
    LOL - My dad used to say that he was waiting for the invite to Jimmy's (his bodyshop guy) daughter's wedding. Between my mother and sister's driving, he paid for most of it.

Jets Insider VIP

But, I'm pretty much right with SAR that I laughed out loud when you suggested that I order the parts myself. That's pretty funny.
    not squeamish - just think its disgusting.

seriously - what's wrong with doing research, buying parts and doing it yourself? you don't get ripped off + save some money.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

not squeamish - just think its disgusting.

seriously - what's wrong with doing research, buying parts and doing it yourself? you don't get ripped off + save some money.
    There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself - you save money and a lot of people enjoy it. Frank the Tank looked like he was having a blast.

For me, however, its simply not gonna happen. I don't have the time, I don't know a goddamn thing about cars - maintenance or otherwise and I don't even have a place to do the work even if I wanted to....don't even have a driveway.

Unless we have some unknown poster who pops up and tells me that he owns a garage in midtown Manhattan and he's going to give me a special price on a lube job (no homo), I'm pretty much resigned to getting raped at the dealership. Driving to NJ or the far reaches of Brooklyn/Queens to sit around and wait for service (as opposed to dropping off in the am and picking up on the way home), isn't too appealing.

But, everyone's point on a number of those services are well taken. I'm not gonna pay for an alignment when approximately 48 hrs later - when my wife tries to parallel park and hits a hydrant - it will be out of whack anyway.

The brakes? That I'm gonna do, just because. The AC filter.....I'll pass. I'll wait til the car starts to stink and then consider it then.

Hall Of Fame

I don't know a goddamn thing about cars

are you Irish or Jewish?