Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad are they getting me?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

How bad are they getting me?

Billy Bob's car thread prompted me....

I take my car to the dealer every time it needs to be serviced. I realize I'm getting raped worse than if I sat on one of Things "Tuesday Night Specials", but as I live in NYC, I don't have any local guy that I know (if anybody has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it) and don't really have time to head to LI to use the guy I used out there.

And of course, 2/3 of the time I take the car in for an oil change, I get a whole list of things that they recommend I do. And being that I don't know a carboretor from a carbonated beverage, I always end up agreeing to it. Don't really have a choice there. As much as I hate getting screwed over, I'm obviously not going to risk my family's safety.

So, this is the latest I just received from them. Of course I agreed to it and now I'm spending a grand with the oil change and inspection that I was going in for.

So, how bad are they getting me here? And at least they acknowledge that they are ripping me off and give me some half BS excuses to make me feel better about paying double.....

Mr. Crasherino

Our technician has finished inspecting your vehicle. In order to help you better understand the basis for his recommendations I have included in this email explanations regarding the recommended work. Take your time reviewing this proposal and please don’t hesitate to call me with any questions. We also welcome you to come and visit our shop to see, in person, the items that we are recommending. I will follow up with you shortly to review.

Alignment

After inspecting your tires our technician has noted that they are wearing unevenly. Uneven tire wear is a sign that the vehicle’s alignment is off (this is a common occurrence in our area because of the many potholes on NY roads). Though the tires do not have to be replaced now, the alignment should be corrected in order to prolong the life of the tire. Performing an alignment will also promote better gas mileage.

TOTAL – $149.99

Air Conditioning Filter

After checking the in cabin air conditioning filter our technician highly recommends replacing it. Over time air conditioning filters become dirty and if not replaced they become less effective in cleaning and filtering the air passing through your vehicle. The primary purpose of the a/c filter is to protect passengers from allergens and pollutants in the air.

Total - $99.99

Engine Air Filter

After checking the engine air filter our technician highly recommends replacing it. Over time air filters become dirty and if not replaced they become less effective in cleaning and filtering the air passing through your engine. In order to maintain engine efficiency air filters should be replaced periodically.

TOTAL -$85.00

Replace Brake Pads and Resurface Rotors

The technician recommends that the rear brake pads be replaced due to wear. Your brake pads brand new should measure 12mm. When the brakes get below 4mm it is recommended, for safety reasons, to replace your brake pads. Your brake pads currently measure 3mm. Worn brake pads compromise the braking ability of the vehicle leading to a higher likelihood of accidents. They can also lead to the rotors being worn faster than they should be and seizing of the calipers.

Because the rotors have not been extremely worn it is not necessary to replace the rotors but it is recommended to cut the rotors. Cutting the rotors is necessary to clean any debris off the rotors and ensure that they are perfectly level. Brake pads will wear more quickly and the car will not brake smoothly if the rotors are not cleaned and leveled.

TOTAL –$365.51

Transmission Service -

After inspecting the transmission fluid our technician recommends performing a transmission flush on your vehicle. Transmission fluid, like all the other fluids used by your vehicle, has a tendency to break down over time. The fluid is a highly specialized oil optimized for the special requirements of a transmission, such as valve operation, brake band friction and the torque converter as well as gear lubrication. Based on the condition of your transmission fluid it is highly recommended that it be flushed and replaced to prevent any future transmission damage.

TOTAL -$180.55

*A note on our pricing

Acura of Manhattan does recognize that some repairs can be costly. We want our customers to know that we are sensitive to current economic conditions and because of that have made it a point to keep our prices in line with local competitors. While we do make this effort you may find that prices here are sometimes greater than what you might find at a local independent shop. Reasons for this include:

· Acura of Manhattan technicians are certified and approved by Acura

· Acura of Manhattan technicians are required to complete continuing education courses on all Acura models

· We use only OEM Acura parts for all services performed

· All service repairs are documented in the Acura database protecting the warranty and future value of your vehicle

Total Estimate – Total $881.04

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on when you had any of those things done before no?

Cant say anyone ever told me I needed a transmission flush, though.

Btw, I just dropped my wifes car off this morning for an inspection and am awaiting..... "the call". If its about the brakes, I'll know the guy is on the level.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most engine air filters cost 25$-45$.

Alignment is expensive

Everything else looks a little inflated, but nothing that you wouldn't expect getting it done in "Manhattan Acura".

If you went to an Acura dealership in Queens or NJ or elsewhere, you'd pay about 200$ less (approx), IMO.

I change my own air filters, belts, etc, so I just know what the parts cost when I deal with mechanics. Work done depends on where you go. For Manhattan, it sounds about right.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't waste your time with the alignment. As soon as you hit a pothole pulling out of the dealer the alignment gets ****ed all over again. Unless there is a noticeable pull to one side as you drive it's probably not as bad as they say.

Unless the air coming out of your vents stinks then don't get the A/C filter.

How old is your car and how many miles? A transmission flush shouldn't be necessary on a newer car.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    dealerships are for chumps. if my car broke down in front of a dealership I'd have it towed somewhere else.

there's nothing more important than finding a mechanic you trust. ask all your friends and co-workers. best bet is a guy in a crappy garage with low overhead. if he does inspections you've hit pay dirt.

i need new tires and there's no way I'm going to a tire place for installation, they'll always find something you don't need. i just ordered them online and I'm going to drop them off at my guy's shop. he's the only guy that touches our cars that are out of warrantee.

not to mention that metro NYC has high scrupleless dick rate...
    Last edited by Timmy®; 02-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing you're NOT getting bent over on is the brakes. The most useless "repair" of a car is the alignment. Because the next time you parallel park and hit the curb or, as the dealer suggested - hit a pothole, the alignment is off again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO you might be overpaying. But I am not a mechanic and I am not going to get in someone's pockets on the internet. Alignment is usually BS. And the filters should be cheaper IMO.

BUT . . .

Are you happy with the overall service? Have you had any troubles after they fixed things? How far would you have to travel to go somewhere else? Most of all, are you capable of doing it yourself and/or would you want to do it?

Sometimes it might not be worth it to save a few dollars if you aren't going to be satisfied. Also, if the car is dealer maintained it will likely improve the resale value.

I agree with John, there is probably a paying a premium b.c it is Acura of Manhattan.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And when it comes to your car, you tell the dealership what you need, not the other way around.

Go to Jiffy Lube next time. You could do almost all of what you listed there for half the price (approx).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    IMO you might be overpaying. But I am not a mechanic and I am not going to get in someone's pockets on the internet.

BUT . . .

Are you happy with the overall service? Have you had any troubles after they fixed things? Are you capable of doing it yourself?

Sometimes it might not be worth it to save a few dollars if you aren't going to be satisfied.

I agree with John, there is probably a paying a premium b.c it is Acura of Manhattan.
    Manhattan, dude.

Manhattan Starbucks is more expensive. Imagine a mechanic? LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Go to Jiffy Lube next time.
    with CrayC putting in the wrong filter...if he puts one in at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    LOL. They'll show you the old one at least. You'll see if it's dirty or not.

The Acura guy probably just changes it and throws the original one away.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Btw, I just dropped my wifes car off this morning for an inspection and am awaiting..... "the call". If its about the brakes, I'll know the guy is on the level.

-
    Here we go, PC Richard all over again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Here we go, PC Richard all over again.
    Please, stop being you.

Please.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Don't waste your time with the alignment. As soon as you hit a pothole pulling out of the dealer the alignment gets ****ed all over again. Unless there is a noticeable pull to one side as you drive it's probably not as bad as they say.

Unless the air coming out of your vents stinks then don't get the A/C filter.

How old is your car and how many miles? A transmission flush shouldn't be necessary on a newer car.
    Don't bother with an alignment until you get new tires. Then, and only then, should it be done, and even at that point it's not totally neccessary unless you have Popeye fore arms from trying to keep the car straight on the highway.

A/C filter is bogus.

Transmission flush is only like every 60,000 or 90,000 miles.

Do your brakes squeak, or the peddle presses almost to the floor? Then don't bother yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. They'll show you the old one at least. You'll see if it's dirty or not.
    Yeah I hate the Jiffy Lube "consultation." It's enough to make me not go there.

Reminiscent of the old Circuit City extended warranty hard sell.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manhattan, dude.

Manhattan Starbucks is more expensive. Imagine a mechanic? LOL.
    LOL.

I don't know what is worse, waiting a half-hour for a cup of coffee or the price.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Don't bother with an alignment until you get new tires. Then, and only then, should it be done, and even at that point it's not totally neccessary unless you have Popeye fore arms from trying to keep the car straight on the highway.

A/C filter is bogus.

Transmission flush is only like every 60,000 or 90,000 miles.

Do your brakes squeak, or the peddle presses almost to the floor? Then don't bother yet.
    This. I think you're getting hosed on all of it unless the brakes need replacing. And even then all you likely need is new pads.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And when it comes to your car, you tell the dealership what you need, not the other way around.

Go to Jiffy Lube next time. You could do almost all of what you listed there for half the price (approx).
    years ago a buddy of mine went to Jiffy Lube, he made it about 3 miles down the road and blew his engine. They forgot to put the drain plug back in.

Took forever dealing with them, but they eventually paid for new motor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing that doesn't seem remotely bogus is the brakes...and that could be argued.

If you can replace a light bulb you can probably replace the air filter and the cabin air filter. Guessing that should cost you ~$30 total.

Then again I'm a doer. Are you a doer?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Only thing that doesn't seem remotely bogus is the brakes...and that could be argued.

If you can replace a light bulb you can probably replace the air filter and the cabin air filter. Guessing that should cost you ~$30 total.

Then again I'm a doer. Are you a doer?
    once you replace your first air filter, you'll feel bad about how much money you wasted over the years.

kind of like the first time I went on line and learned to bleed the air out of my furnace fuel line.

I have a car with 235k. I must have got my transmission fluid flushed, by I don't remember ever doing it. Once tops.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 02-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.