Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77

Thread: How bad are they getting me?

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,603
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself - you save money and a lot of people enjoy it. Frank the Tank looked like he was having a blast.

    For me, however, its simply not gonna happen. I don't have the time, I don't know a goddamn thing about cars - maintenance or otherwise and I don't even have a place to do the work even if I wanted to....don't even have a driveway.

    Unless we have some unknown poster who pops up and tells me that he owns a garage in midtown Manhattan and he's going to give me a special price on a lube job (no homo), I'm pretty much resigned to getting raped at the dealership. Driving to NJ or the far reaches of Brooklyn/Queens to sit around and wait for service (as opposed to dropping off in the am and picking up on the way home), isn't too appealing.

    But, everyone's point on a number of those services are well taken. I'm not gonna pay for an alignment when approximately 48 hrs later - when my wife tries to parallel park and hits a hydrant - it will be out of whack anyway.

    The brakes? That I'm gonna do, just because. The AC filter.....I'll pass. I'll wait til the car starts to stink and then consider it then.
    You forgot about the transmission.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    years ago a buddy of mine went to Jiffy Lube, he made it about 3 miles down the road and blew his engine. They forgot to put the drain plug back in.

    Took forever dealing with them, but they eventually paid for new motor.
    You could probably say that for many mechanics.

    Will they make it right?

    Cars suck.

  3. #43
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    You forgot about the transmission.
    Seems like that's legit - I'm pushing 70k and never had it done before. Having them do that.

  4. #44
    I too use Acura of Manhattan. Never take the first price they give you. You can always negotiate it down between 10-20%. Always.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,851
    You got ripped off, Crash.

    Hugely.

  6. #46
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,228
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    You got ripped off, Crash.

    Hugely.
    I know, I know....I figured it was either you or GMC that was coming in here to tell me that you could have done the whole shebang for $12.95 with a pair of pliers, a quart of apple juice and some gauze.

    And GMC prolly doesn't wanna blow his perilously thin cover.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,851
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I know, I know....I figured it was either you or GMC that was coming in here to tell me that you could have done the whole shebang for $12.95 with a pair of pliers, a quart of apple juice and some gauze.

    And GMC prolly doesn't wanna blow his perilously thin cover.
    LOL!

    I would have charged you more than that.


    But not $100 bucks to change a cabin filter that costs 12.99 and requires no tools to remove and replace



    But....car mechanics are a lot like plumbers. Plumbing is actually extremely easy to replace/fix. We're bad people.

  8. #48
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,228
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    LOL!

    I would have charged you more than that.


    But not $100 bucks to change a cabin filter that costs 12.99 and requires no tools to remove and replace



    But....car mechanics are a lot like plumbers. Plumbing is actually extremely easy to replace/fix. We're bad people.
    COMMON! The technicians are certified by Acura. BY ACURA, THEMSELVES!!!!! And the parts are OEM Acura. You can't put a price on that.


    Actually you can. Right about $100.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Have you done this yet?

    It really is ridiculous. They'd have a lot more respect for you if you ripped up the
    estimate, threw it at them, and told them you want a new estimate that doesn't insult your intelligence.

    I'm not sure you have it in you though. Maybe a few drinks beforehand.

    you could probably get both filters for about $40 and do them in ten minutes after watching a couple you tube videos
    Last edited by Timmy®; 02-28-2013 at 05:07 PM.

  10. #50
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Have you done this yet?

    It really is ridiculous. They'd have a lot more respect for you if you ripped up the
    estimate, threw it at them, and told them you want a new estimate that doesn't insult your intelligence.

    I'm not sure you have it in you though. Maybe a few drinks beforehand.
    I agreed to it, and then, after consulting the Hampur (God, I never thought I'd say that), I cancelled a couple of the items, as previously discussed.

    And, I'll have you know that as we speak, the good people at Liebherr are sending me a brand new fridge on account of my ice maker not working. After yelling at their service providers in Phoenix only got marginal results, I fired off a strongly worded email to their people in Germany. Maybe it was on account of their shame over their lack of German workmanship, but I got a message the next day informing me that the new unit was on its way.

    Next time, I'm getting a Kenmore.

    Of course, I boiled over after not having ice cubes for my drink, so maybe it was the lack of drink that fueled me.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I agreed to it, and then, after consulting the Hampur (God, I never thought I'd say that), I cancelled a couple of the items, as previously discussed.

    And, I'll have you know that as we speak, the good people at Liebherr are sending me a brand new fridge on account of my ice maker not working. After yelling at their service providers in Phoenix only got marginal results, I fired off a strongly worded email to their people in Germany. Maybe it was on account of their shame over their lack of German workmanship, but I got a message the next day informing me that the new unit was on its way.

    Next time, I'm getting a Kenmore.

    Of course, I boiled over after not having ice cubes for my drink, so maybe it was the lack of drink that fueled me.
    well next time you need an air filter, go to one of those auto parts store that says they'll change windshield wipers or batteries for free. I'm sure if you asked, they'd do the air filter for free, since that's less of a pain in the azz than installing windshield wipers.

    i say screw all of it. get a friend to change your filters and get two estimates on your brakes. You could get out of this for a few hundred or less easy.

    I have a car with 235k. I must have got my transmission fluid flushed, by I don't remember ever doing it. Once tops.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 02-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.

  12. #52
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,581
    I got tired of dropping $850 at the Honda dealer twice a year, a friend recommended the Mobil station at Ave C between Houston & 2nd, "Eastside Service Station", so I've been going there for about 6 years for oil changes, inspections, etc., and they've been great/cheap (don't get gas there, $$$$, even for Manhattan). I never have anything except routine maintenance though - I get 3 year leases, and I put less than 7k miles per year on it. I still take it to Honda for the 'milestone' maintenance, but I generally only do that twice during the 3 years, and turn it in with 20k miles on it. I saved money on that, too, by going to a Honda dealer in PA, where we go weekends/summers - it's literally like $200-250 instead of $850. If you have a place you go regularly outside of the city, look for a dealer there.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,021
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Billy Bob's car thread prompted me....

    I take my car to the dealer every time it needs to be serviced. I realize I'm getting raped worse than if I sat on one of Things "Tuesday Night Specials", but as I live in NYC, I don't have any local guy that I know (if anybody has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it) and don't really have time to head to LI to use the guy I used out there.

    And of course, 2/3 of the time I take the car in for an oil change, I get a whole list of things that they recommend I do. And being that I don't know a carboretor from a carbonated beverage, I always end up agreeing to it. Don't really have a choice there. As much as I hate getting screwed over, I'm obviously not going to risk my family's safety.

    So, this is the latest I just received from them. Of course I agreed to it and now I'm spending a grand with the oil change and inspection that I was going in for.

    So, how bad are they getting me here? And at least they acknowledge that they are ripping me off and give me some half BS excuses to make me feel better about paying double.....
    If it was a 4-way alignment that's not crazy, Cabin filter is a waste of money in opinion, Trans service is about right, Air filter seems high being it's a pop in part, That brake price seems high if they are going to just cut the rotors instead of replacing them, however, one new rotor can be upwards of $300 so..... Overall not bad. Most shops nowadays are priced in line with dealerships the auto industry has had it tough especially garages, so in order to survive they are modeled more like dealerships, where you can save some money at a private over a dealership is in the labor rate.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself - you save money and a lot of people enjoy it. Frank the Tank looked like he was having a blast.

    For me, however, its simply not gonna happen. I don't have the time, I don't know a goddamn thing about cars - maintenance or otherwise and I don't even have a place to do the work even if I wanted to....don't even have a driveway.

    Unless we have some unknown poster who pops up and tells me that he owns a garage in midtown Manhattan and he's going to give me a special price on a lube job (no homo), I'm pretty much resigned to getting raped at the dealership. Driving to NJ or the far reaches of Brooklyn/Queens to sit around and wait for service (as opposed to dropping off in the am and picking up on the way home), isn't too appealing.

    But, everyone's point on a number of those services are well taken. I'm not gonna pay for an alignment when approximately 48 hrs later - when my wife tries to parallel park and hits a hydrant - it will be out of whack anyway.

    The brakes? That I'm gonna do, just because. The AC filter.....I'll pass. I'll wait til the car starts to stink and then consider it then.
    You might want to do the AC filter, I experienced a loss of my air compressor this summer, and maybe doing the AC filter might prevent that from happening. Ill bump the thread for you

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    well next time you need an air filter, go to one of those auto parts store that says they'll change windshield wipers or batteries for free. I'm sure if you asked, they'd do the air filter for free, since that's less of a pain in the azz than installing windshield wipers.

    i say screw all of it. get a friend to change your filters and get two estimates on your brakes. You could get out of this for a few hundred or less easy.

    I have a car with 235k. I must have got my transmission fluid flushed, by I don't remember ever doing it. Once tops.

    No offense but it sounds like he can afford to live in Manhattan and isn't hand to fist by any means. No sure that's analogous to a rural lifestyle maintained by bartering for goods and services with toothless goobers and living off the grid.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,928
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    LOL - My dad used to say that he was waiting for the invite to Jimmy's (his bodyshop guy) daughter's wedding. Between my mother and sister's driving, he paid for most of it.
    Go to Jimmy's sopne.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,316
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    No sure that's analogous to a rural lifestyle maintained by bartering for goods and services with toothless goobers and living off the grid.


  18. #58
    Im not a pro mechanic, but ive been turning wrenches for over 30 years doing things most "mechanics" couldnt dream of doing. Im usually spot on .... so her goes:
    If your going to the dealer, Ill have to assume its a relatively new car. Id be interested in the make model year and mileage to really tell (especially the mileage)

    1. alignment - when you take your hands off the wheel on the highway, does it stay straight? do you feel any vibration? if all this checks out, you DONT need the alignment. Look at your front tires. do you actually see uneven wear? ill bet not. RIPOFF

    2. a/c filter - this made me chuckle. The filter costs 10 bucks (on ebay) and they want 90. if your ac is ice cold and it doesnt smell this is not needed RIPOFF

    3. air filter - another hardy chuckle - an air filter can be as little as 10 or 15 bucks depending on what kind of car. to replace, on a lot of cars, simply involves opening the hood, unlatching a few latches, opening a door, pulling th e old filter out and popping the new one in. thats it! MAJOR RIPOFF

    4. Brakes - if what they say is true (the measurement) then pad replacement is legit. Cutting the rotors is a good idea as well. i hope that price is for 4 wheels but i suspect 2. the shame is that the pads themselves for a pair are well under 50 bucks. sometimes front wheel pads can be 16.99 at napa. replacing them, for even the lamest backyard mechanic with chinese tools , is childs play. either way ill say this one might be LEGIT

    5. Trans fluid - NEVER! this is such a crock of s**t. Until recently, tranny fluid used to never get replaced for the entire life of a car, I know im gonna hear it but thats the truth. if it aint broke dont fix it..... this is not engine oil. 180 bucks for 25 worth of fluid? RIPOFF

    I could personally do all this work (except alignment) for $100 in parts and about only a few hours in an afternoon while searching for sockets, cursing and drinking 4 beers. Glad I watched dad and grew up hot rodding

    The funny thing is this: all the work they suggested is childs play. the filters? really? they interestingly didnt want to do anything that wasnt A. SUPER fast and B. SUPER easy.

  19. #59
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,002
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Im not a pro mechanic, but ive been turning wrenches for over 30 years doing things most "mechanics" couldnt dream of doing. Im usually spot on .... so her goes:
    If your going to the dealer, Ill have to assume its a relatively new car. Id be interested in the make model year and mileage to really tell (especially the mileage)

    1. alignment - when you take your hands off the wheel on the highway, does it stay straight? do you feel any vibration? if all this checks out, you DONT need the alignment. Look at your front tires. do you actually see uneven wear? ill bet not. RIPOFF

    2. a/c filter - this made me chuckle. The filter costs 10 bucks (on ebay) and they want 90. if your ac is ice cold and it doesnt smell this is not needed RIPOFF

    3. air filter - another hardy chuckle - an air filter can be as little as 10 or 15 bucks depending on what kind of car. to replace, on a lot of cars, simply involves opening the hood, unlatching a few latches, opening a door, pulling th e old filter out and popping the new one in. thats it! MAJOR RIPOFF

    4. Brakes - if what they say is true (the measurement) then pad replacement is legit. Cutting the rotors is a good idea as well. i hope that price is for 4 wheels but i suspect 2. the shame is that the pads themselves for a pair are well under 50 bucks. sometimes front wheel pads can be 16.99 at napa. replacing them, for even the lamest backyard mechanic with chinese tools , is childs play. either way ill say this one might be LEGIT

    5. Trans fluid - NEVER! this is such a crock of s**t. Until recently, tranny fluid used to never get replaced for the entire life of a car, I know im gonna hear it but thats the truth. if it aint broke dont fix it..... this is not engine oil. 180 bucks for 25 worth of fluid? RIPOFF

    I could personally do all this work (except alignment) for $100 in parts and about only a few hours in an afternoon while searching for sockets, cursing and drinking 4 beers. Glad I watched dad and grew up hot rodding

    The funny thing is this: all the work they suggested is childs play. the filters? really? they interestingly didnt want to do anything that wasnt A. SUPER fast and B. SUPER easy.
    So...you are saying Crasherino is a friggin mouth-breathing moron?




    -

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,440
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    COMMON! The technicians are certified by Acura. BY ACURA, THEMSELVES!!!!! And the parts are OEM Acura. You can't put a price on that.


    Actually you can. Right about $100.
    last time I was down at Wantagh Acura (over a year ago), Acura "technician"'s hourly rate was $108.00.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us