Thread: Cimini: Trying to balance the Jets' books

Cimini: Trying to balance the Jets' books

'Tis the season for number crunching.

The Jets, like many teams, have salary-cap concerns. They have roughly $6 million in cap space, which doesn't allow them to be serious players in free agency -- unless they create more room by cutting players and/or restructuring contracts.

Here's a position-by-position breakdown of the cap totals, providing insight into how the Jets have invested in recent years -- and where they need to trim some fat. (Note: Totals don't include current free agents such as Dustin Keller, Mike DeVito, LaRon Landry, et al. Allow small margin of error.)

OFFENSE

Quarterback: $16.48 million. Roughly 14 percent of cap devoted to a position that needs an overhaul. Yeesh.

Running back: $1.8 million. If the QB position is Peter Luger's Steakhouse, this is Burger King.

Wide receiver: $16.86 million. Not much bang for the buck, based on 2012 performance.

Tight end: $960,000. Konrad Reuland and Hayden Smith are the top guys under contract. Hence, the low number. They need Keller.

Offensive line: $22.12 million. A pretty high number, considering only two starters are under contract.

Offense total: $58.22 million

DEFENSE

Defensive line: $12.5 million. One of the few areas where the talent lines up with the cost. They're trying to re-sign DeVito.

Linebacker: $20.6 million. We're counting $4.5 million in dead money from Bart Scott, Calvin Pace cuts.

Secondary: $26.47 million. The total will increase by $3 million if they trade Darrelle Revis, if you can believe that. Landry will be a tough squeeze.

Defense total: $59.57 million

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Veteran
    Good article, clear enough for dopes like me to understand. I thought Tanny was a Cap guru?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Good article, clear enough for dopes like me to understand. I thought Tanny was a Cap guru?
    if you want real Jets cap info, go to nyjetscap.com. Jason is a poster here, and does an incredible job with the salary cap. Oh, and his #s are accurate (and he doesn't have an agenda) unlike Cimini.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Accountants are terrible with numbers...........

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Isn't Tanny a lawyer?

It's pretty amazing how the media trashed the Jets all season long for the 'circus' the team supposedly was, yet the minute Tanny is fired he's on the NFL site appearing and giving out his sage cappy wisdom. I guess they're not embarassed to have this ringmaster filling their airtime?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

That was an excellent summary.
    Tanny belongs to the Barack Obama School of Financial Analysts.

It'll take a genius to get the Jets straightened out. Not in 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    That was an excellent summary.
    Tanny belongs to the Barack Obama School of Financial Analysts.

It'll take a genius to get the Jets straightened out. Not in 2013.
    Isn't Barack Obama a lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    'Tis the season for number crunching.

The Jets, like many teams, have salary-cap concerns. They have roughly $6 million in cap space, which doesn't allow them to be serious players in free agency -- unless they create more room by cutting players and/or restructuring contracts.

Here's a position-by-position breakdown of the cap totals, providing insight into how the Jets have invested in recent years -- and where they need to trim some fat. (Note: Totals don't include current free agents such as Dustin Keller, Mike DeVito, LaRon Landry, et al. Allow small margin of error.)

OFFENSE

Quarterback: $16.48 million. Roughly 14 percent of cap devoted to a position that needs an overhaul. Yeesh.

Running back: $1.8 million. If the QB position is Peter Luger's Steakhouse, this is Burger King.

Wide receiver: $16.86 million. Not much bang for the buck, based on 2012 performance.

Tight end: $960,000. Konrad Reuland and Hayden Smith are the top guys under contract. Hence, the low number. They need Keller.

Offensive line: $22.12 million. A pretty high number, considering only two starters are under contract.

Offense total: $58.22 million

DEFENSE

Defensive line: $12.5 million. One of the few areas where the talent lines up with the cost. They're trying to re-sign DeVito.

Linebacker: $20.6 million. We're counting $4.5 million in dead money from Bart Scott, Calvin Pace cuts.

Secondary: $26.47 million. The total will increase by $3 million if they trade Darrelle Revis, if you can believe that. Landry will be a tough squeeze.

Defense total: $59.57 million

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    Right now the jets have zero cap room, all 6 mill of the is dedicated to the Rookies. They have to make more cuts/reworks of more expensive players just to sign a bunch of min wage guys to fill out the 53 man roster. I hope he
    didn't spend too much time on his analysis

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    if you want real Jets cap info, go to nyjetscap.com. Jason is a poster here, and does an incredible job with the salary cap. Oh, and his #s are accurate (and he doesn't have an agenda) unlike Cimini.
    Yes, Jason is excellent, too bad he doesn't post here anymore(unless I missed it)...this cap info was at least short and to the point...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post

Alledgedly, yes. But he masquerades as a person who thinks he knows budgets and spending. Just like Tanny did.

Veteran
    Isn't Tanny a lawyer?

It's pretty amazing how the media trashed the Jets all season long for the 'circus' the team supposedly was, yet the minute Tanny is fired he's on the NFL site appearing and giving out his sage cappy wisdom. I guess they're not embarassed to have this ringmaster filling their airtime?
    Supposedly he wants a media job, which is kinda funny, he's a stiff who buried us in this cap situation..

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Alledgedly, yes. But he masquerades as a person who thinks he knows budgets and spending. Just like Tanny did.
    And the deficit is masquerading as a shrinking deficit. Oh wait, that's not a masquerade, it's the truth.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/the-defi...rica-knows-it/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    And the deficit is masquerading as a shrinking deficit. Oh wait, that's not a masquerade, it's the truth.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/the-defi...rica-knows-it/
    There's a board for that, no one cares here.

Anyhow, Cimini's article is fine, but it's really limited in detail. Everyone knows that there will be major issues in 2013, but the Jets do come through quite clean going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Right now the jets have zero cap room, all 6 mill of the is dedicated to the Rookies. They have to make more cuts/reworks of more expensive players just to sign a bunch of min wage guys to fill out the 53 man roster. I hope he
    didn't spend too much time on his analysis
    Exactly. He listed a bunch of numbers without making a clear point.

2012 New York Jets

W - L

6 - 10

If the Jets win more than they lose, they'll do better.

I can do it too.

Jets Insider VIP
    I wish BO was our Cap guy! We could just borrow billions, spend it on overpriced players, and leave the bill to future generations of PSL holders!

@JasonLaCanfora: Over weekend I reported 2013 cap would rise - at least $122.5M and as high as $123M. It is $123M, up about $1.5M, significant for many teams

@RapSheet: Sources: The @NFL salary cap has been sent to clubs. It is set at $123 million. Up from $120.6M