Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 349

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

  1. #81
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading Jets fans trolling their own favorite football team

    How f-ing pathetic is that
    Last edited by JonEJet; 02-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.

  2. #82
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Do you actually know why he was cut? He got hurt and before he got hurt he was the #1 QB on the Dolphins depth chart. At least know what you're talking about.
    What exactly did I say that was inaccurate?

  3. #83
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard, great.

    Jamarcus Russell....even better

    Lets get guys in here that provide competition for the job.

    Unless Sanchez has an unbelievable turnaround, the Jets are looking for lightning in a bottle

  4. #84
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MMehtaNYDN: Asked David Garrard how workout with Jets went. His response: "It went great, but still working out the particulars."... #nyj

  5. #85
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Are you positive on the 11 million?

    He got a decent signing bonus and only 2 million of his 2013 salary is guaranteed, so why would it be 11 million.

    Plus if he is awesome, we can redo a long term deal making his 2014 salary moot and if he sucks we cut him as its not guaranteed.
    his salaries are 5.25 this year and 6.25 next, Seattle eats the SB.

    I don't know- what does it matter how much is guaranteed? your trading for him your not going to cut him before sept and just pay him the two mill. The salary is 5.25 with 2 guaranteed, not a 2 mill base with 3.25 in incentives.
    his 2014 salary is 6.25 with no guarantees. I hope that clears it for you.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    lets get sanchez the hell out of here and get a real qb here. enough of all these slugs we are looking at. garrard,quinn jags

  7. #87
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    But what does it accomplish? If we played mcelroy we could see if he could be a decent backup and probably win 5 games.

    If we sign garrard, we dont play any young players and win 6 games....YAY!
    Rarely disagree with your posts, but surprised you're so down on Garrard. While he's not a guy at this stage that is going to win games by himself, he's one that (historically) doesn't lose them for his team. Only two losing seasons in his career as a starter, and in one of them he put up pro-bowl numbers.

    He's a guy who has succeeded without weapons his whole career...why not try to do the same thing with the most offensively-challenged team in the NFL? IMO, all McElroy showed in his one start is that he's a career 3rd-stringer until he's out of the league...it would be nice to see this team win some games even while they're in transition, since I can't get on the 'tank the season' bandwagon.

    I think it would be a good pickup. If the injuries and time off have done him in, he'll go into the season as a backup. If he plays well enough to win the starting job, he'll be much more competent than the QB on the field in '11 & '12.

  8. #88
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    People were deluding themselves if they thought we were getting anything
    better than a second level vet as a QB. Garrard, Cassel, Quinn are the
    types I expected. The real key will be what Mornhinweg & Lee can do
    with a QB and what they think of the QB's in the draft

  9. #89
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Garrard, great.

    Jamarcus Russell....even better

    Lets get guys in here that provide competition for the job.

    Unless Sanchez has an unbelievable turnaround, the Jets are looking for lightning in a bottle
    In a year where Alex Smith is the best QB available (FA or draft), what did you expect?

  10. #90
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    his salaries are 5.25 this year and 6.25 next, Seattle eats the SB.

    I don't know- what does it matter how much is guaranteed? your trading for him your not going to cut him before sept and just pay him the two mill. The salary is 5.25 with 2 guaranteed, not a 2 mill base with 3.25 in incentives.
    his 2014 salary is 6.25 with no guarantees. I hope that clears it for you.
    Its your typical anti jets spin.

    First off forget the 6.25, as its one of three things.
    1. he falls on his face, gets cut and its 0
    2. he is good, we keep him at 6.25 which is a low number for a starting QB and gain the sanchez money
    3. he is good/great, we tear up the 6.25 and renegotiate a long term deal

    As for next year at $5.25 its interesting that you think its a bad deal for the jets to have another team pay his signing bonus and we take him after that and basically get a 1 year 5.25 deal with a non guaranteed option. If thats bad it must have been atrocious for what seattle did last offseason.

    We can pay 5.25 for flynn and hope for the future, with a total downside of $3million. Or we can pay garrard $2 million (or so) to be a poor stopgap with no future at all.

  11. #91
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Rarely disagree with your posts, but surprised you're so down on Garrard. While he's not a guy at this stage that is going to win games by himself, he's one that (historically) doesn't lose them for his team. Only two losing seasons in his career as a starter, and in one of them he put up pro-bowl numbers.

    He's a guy who has succeeded without weapons his whole career...why not try to do the same thing with the most offensively-challenged team in the NFL? IMO, all McElroy showed in his one start is that he's a career 3rd-stringer until he's out of the league...it would be nice to see this team win some games even while they're in transition, since I can't get on the 'tank the season' bandwagon.

    I think it would be a good pickup. If the injuries and time off have done him in, he'll go into the season as a backup. If he plays well enough to win the starting job, he'll be much more competent than the QB on the field in '11 & '12.
    It really isnt what i think about garrard as a player, more that at his age, he presents no upside at all, and i dont think he is talented enough at 34, with his rust to take us to the playoffs.

  12. #92
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Its your typical anti jets spin.

    First off forget the 6.25, as its one of three things.
    1. he falls on his face, gets cut and its 0
    2. he is good, we keep him at 6.25 which is a low number for a starting QB and gain the sanchez money
    3. he is good/great, we tear up the 6.25 and renegotiate a long term deal

    As for next year at $5.25 its interesting that you think its a bad deal for the jets to have another team pay his signing bonus and we take him after that and basically get a 1 year 5.25 deal with a non guaranteed option. If thats bad it must have been atrocious for what seattle did last offseason. And of cousre I dont think is is bad for another team to eat the bonus- WTF did you get that. I said that you dont have to be concerned with it seatle eats it.

    We can pay 5.25 for flynn and hope for the future, with a total downside of $3million. Or we can pay garrard $2 million (or so) to be a poor stopgap with no future at all.
    It is not anti jets at all I said in post 63 that if you want Flynn for the jets qb going forward 11 mill over 2 years was very reasonable. I am propping up Garrard over Moore, Quinn, Vince Young, Campbell as a transitional qb till the jets draft someone. If I wanted the jets to fail in this i would be propping up Young, Quinn, Cassel or Moore. I honestly thing Gerrard is the best transitional qb for the Jets.

    I am also very well aware of how the cap works regarding cutting people.
    Last edited by patman; 02-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.

  13. #93
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    It really isnt what i think about garrard as a player, more that at his age, he presents no upside at all, and i dont think he is talented enough at 34, with his rust to take us to the playoffs.
    To paraphrase Mora, PLAYOFFS, YOU TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS. I did not know you were thinking of the jets as playoff contenders next year. I can not even think of 12 starters on both sides of the ball, and your concerned about his ability to lead the team into the playoffs. I thought you understood that i believed the jets were in a transitional phase.

  14. #94
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Reading Jets fans trolling their own favorite football team

    How f-ing pathetic is that
    + infinity

    at this fanbase

  15. #95
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    It is not anti jets at all I said in post 63 that if you want Flynn for the jets qb going forward 11 mill over 2 years was very reasonable. I am propping up Garrard over Moore, Quinn, Vince Young, Campbell as a transitional qb till the jets draft someone. If I wanted the jets to fail in this i would be propping up Young, Quinn, Cassel or Moore. I honestly thing Gerrard is the best transitional qb for the Jets.

    I am also very well aware of how the cap works regarding cutting people.
    Oh, no, never.
    You are just a Patriots fan wishing all of us Jets fans well, why wont these peeps grasp that?

  16. #96
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the idea was to look at QBs that would not just challenge Sanchez but possibly be better?

  17. #97
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Oh, no, never.
    You are just a Patriots fan wishing all of us Jets fans well, why wont these peeps grasp that?
    I dont care if the jets sign Flynn or Gerrard or any of these guys being mentioned, they are not going to win the division from the pats next year. As long as they don't finish above the pats I wish them all the luck in the world and I wanted them to beat the Colts in 2009.

    I think Scott and Rex bark more than bite, I think Cro should be castrated for being such a fine role model to the epidemic of young black men not raising their sons, but i have no issue with any of the other players and Mangold has always been one of my favorite active players and Klecko is my favorite opposition player of all time. (besides Chamberlain)

    I don't hate the jets, I don't hate the ravens either. I don't like the fins and Steelers and colts..
    Last edited by patman; 02-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.

  18. #98
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,154
    Post Thanks / Like


    Mark Sanchez, Starting Quarterback, 2013 New York Jets.

    SAR I

  19. #99
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to get excited about a QB who hasn't played a down of football since December 2010. I'd rather Quinn, but really neither will beat out Sanchez for the job. Quinn's just as erratic and Garrard will find himself on the injury report half the time, at least. Hopefully McElroy can.

  20. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    It's hard to get excited about a QB who hasn't played a down of football since December 2010. I'd rather Quinn, but really neither will beat out Sanchez for the job. Quinn's just as erratic and Garrard will find himself on the injury report half the time, at least. Hopefully McElroy can.
    mceleroy wont be given the chance just like tebow never got his chance. its all about rexs golden boy mark sanchez.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us