Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    "Mark Sanchez will not be a bust"

You said that the day the kid was drafted I believe. You can keep ripping Mark now because you find it f*cking hilarious to sit on a Jets board and troll for reaction, but no one that's been here for that long is going to forget it. Most of us know you do this for sh*ts and giggles, but when you derail almost every thread it gets tiresome.

I don't know if Sanchez can bounce back from the past two years but to say that he was "along for the ride" in 2010 is absolute non-sense (sorry McDawg, you know I still <3 ya). His numbers weren't anything to write home about, but his play was much better. Pats week 2, Miami week 3, Buffalo week 4, the 3 comebacks, Pitt and Chicago were all really good performances. He then played great in the playoffs and we thought we were set at the position for the next 10+ years. In short, his 2010 season was the polar opposite of his 2011 season (Solid numbers but in reality, sh*t play).

We're going to draft a QB early (2nd/3rd round) and bring in a vet, but if you think for one second that this team isn't deep down hoping that the QB they're paying a massive amount of money and spent a high draft pick on cant somehow turn it around with Mornhinweg, who is a solid when it comes to the development of QB's and runs an offense suited perfectly for Mark, then you are completely delusional. If he fails, he fails. We'll be ready. But he's going to get another shot. Like I said to the Revis freaks around here regarding that mess, the sooner you accept this, the softer the blow will be for you when it actually happens.
    All good points.

People forget what Sanchez really looked like his first two years. People were calling him a gunslinger and Favre like....LOL. Nobody at the time was saying he was along for the ride at that point. People want to know why has Sanchez regressed the way he has, you can look no further than Rex. He coached the confidence and aggressiveness right out of the kid. The constant brow beating of telling him to eliminate mistakes and the stupid color coding wristbands. Rex's rational was that we have a great defense and running game so just dont screw it up, instead of telling the kid, hey, we have a great defense and running game go out there and make plays for us, dont worry about turning it over you have a great defense to bail you out. You cant make a young QB paranoid about making mistakes, it just stunts their development and kills their confidence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    All good points.

People forget what Sanchez really looked like his first two years. People were calling him a gunslinger and Favre like....LOL. Nobody at the time was saying he was along for the ride at that point. People want to know why has Sanchez regressed the way he has, you can look no further than Rex. He coached the confidence and aggressiveness right out of the kid. The constant brow beating of telling him to eliminate mistakes and the stupid color coding wristbands. Rex's rational was that we have a great defense and running game so just dont screw it up, instead of telling the kid, hey, we have a great defense and running game go out there and make plays for us, dont worry about turning it over you have a great defense to bail you out. You cant make a young QB paranoid about making mistakes, it just stunts their development and kills their confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Logic isnt allowed on this board...Be careful you're in a minority
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Logic isnt allowed on this board...Be careful you're in a minority
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Great Post, M. Spot on.
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I agree. I remember him GAME ONE versus the TEXANS. he looked great.

I would love to have that kid again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    All good points.

I occasionally go back and watch games from those first two seasons and compare it to film of the games of his last two. The quarterback that we've watched the past two years looks NOTHING like the guy slinging it in the first two seasons. Mentally and mechanically. I don't know when the hell it happened but somewhere in his third year he just broke. I'm inclined to say it was the ravens game, but I think that game was more of the final nail. I personally think the game that truly started to cause his decline was Oakland. He was killed that entire game, smashed in the face and had his nose broken yet no roughing call was made. But something that I really think got to him was that final drive. They got all the way down there, and once again his line let him down. He scrambled in an attempt to score but came up short. The Ravens game was pretty much the K.O. punch.

After Oakland was when I saw his mechanics change, that's when I saw him look at pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield, and that's when his confidence was absolutely destroyed. It's also important to note that it was after those two games that Rex made the call to go back to "ground-and-pound" effectively putting Mark back into the "game-manager" role. I always disagreed with that call and thought that it put to much blame on a guy who didn't really deserve it. The WR's weren't getting separation, the play calling was attrocious, starting center was hurt, and the right tackle was an abortion of a player. The right call IMO would have been to fire Schotty, something Rex almost did, and promote Bill Callahan. That's not to say that that none of these recent problems are his fault, he's an NFL QB his mental make-up should be better than that, but getting a polarizing QB like Tebow in what should have been Marks "bounce-back" year, along with signing an unproven OC in Tony Sparano wasn't exactly helping the guy you picked to be the face of your franchise. The way this franchise handled his development was borderline criminal. I just hope somewhere deep down that guy who led us those first years is still in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    What makes me laugh is I remember my 1st posts on this board where how bad of a pick Sanchez was and I was basically told to stop posting. I actually did for like 2 years then for some reason came back. All this time now and I still see people making excuses for Sanchez. How about just admitting he wasn't a good draft pick. He was a huge unproven project QB that didn't fit the O we where running. He was hyped in a very weak class and we fell for it.
    Because it wasn't a bad pick regardless of how you felt at the time. That's great that you get to say "I told you so" but this is a QB driven league. You don't have one, you aren't winning. Who were we gonna throw out there? Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff? Hell no. F' that noise. We gave up essentially nothing to get him so moving up wasn't that hurtful. We got to 2 championship games with him his first two years and he played a sizeable role in our getting there, especially in 2010. The pick was fine and b*tching about it before giving him enough time to prove it was silly. In the end, after 4 years it hasn't entirely worked out so far but we have won with him. If you complained his first two years you really had nothing to stand on.

Borgo my man, the mantra is "see if..if not he's gone in '14"...He's here in '13 so why not try..Mornhenwig is an experienced and proven OC & developer of QBs, unlike the genius Sparano. And again all we read on here last season is how ****ty the Jets RBs were, how the Jets didn't have any WRs, yet it's all on Sanchez? Again, if he ****s the bed in '13, he's gone in '14..Jets aren't going to the SB anyway...

And c'mon..He hasn't always sucked..Geez, people have short memories...You don't win 11 games in '10 and then beat Manning in Indy (leading a drive to kick the GW FG) and Brady in NE with a "always sucked" QB...
    + a million.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 03-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

I occasionally go back and watch games from those first two seasons and compare it to film of the games of his last two. The quarterback that we've watched the past two years looks NOTHING like the guy slinging it in the first two seasons. Mentally and mechanically. I don't know when the hell it happened but somewhere in his third year he just broke. I'm inclined to say it was the ravens game, but I think that game was more of the final nail. I personally think the game that truly started to cause his decline was Oakland. He was killed that entire game, smashed in the face and had his nose broken yet no roughing call was made. But something that I really think got to him was that final drive. They got all the way down there, and once again his line let him down. He scrambled in an attempt to score but came up short. The Ravens game was pretty much the K.O. punch.

After Oakland was when I saw his mechanics change, that's when I saw him look at pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield, and that's when his confidence was absolutely destroyed. It's also important to note that it was after those two games that Rex made the call to go back to "ground-and-pound" effectively putting Mark back into the "game-manager" role. I always disagreed with that call and thought that it put to much blame on a guy who didn't really deserve it. The WR's weren't getting separation, the play calling was attrocious, starting center was hurt, and the right tackle was an abortion of a player. The right call IMO would have been to fire Schotty, something Rex almost did, and promote Bill Callahan. That's not to say that that none of these recent problems are his fault, he's an NFL QB his mental make-up should be better than that, but getting a polarizing QB like Tebow in what should have been Marks "bounce-back" year, along with signing an unproven OC in Tony Sparano wasn't exactly helping the guy you picked to be the face of your franchise. The way this franchise handled his development was borderline criminal. I just hope somewhere deep down that guy who led us those first years is still in there.
    WOW!!!! Please post more!!

One sequence from last season stands out and explains just how truly incompetent the Jets have been with Sanchez..TN MNF..Sanchez completes 2 straight 10+ yards passes for 1st downs and we're sitting watching and saying, "alright, he's got a rhythm going now" and what does the genius Jets coaches do? They pull Sanchez and put in Tebow for the WC..Brilliant!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    #Jets are moving toward a deal with free-agent QB David Garrard, per @AdamSchefter.

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    RT @ConorTOrr: #Jets meeting with David Garrard and co. lasted until almost 2 a.m. last night. Physical apparently came back well.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
    David Garrard's visit with the Jets will wrap today. No immediate deal expected. They'll keep talking. Garrard has some interest elsewhere.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Our entry on Garrard. Lengthy meeting with #Jets yesterday, both sides will keep in touch.. #nyj | http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/03/jets_pleased_with_david_garrar.html …

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    March 1, 2013David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with Jets once they can work through cap issues, per source. "Both sides are feeling good about a possible deal," said source.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    #Jets are moving toward a deal with free-agent QB David Garrard, per @AdamSchefter.
    I prefer Garrard over Quinn

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is good news...

Sign Garrard, draft a guy if the right one is available (such as EJ Manuel in the 2nd round) and the QB position is much better off.

Sanchez can't play so this goes in the direction of making sure that doesn't happen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I occasionally go back and watch games from those first two seasons and compare it to film of the games of his last two. The quarterback that we've watched the past two years looks NOTHING like the guy slinging it in the first two seasons. Mentally and mechanically. I don't know when the hell it happened but somewhere in his third year he just broke.
    The exact moment in 2011 was when Haloti Ngata crushed him bodily and then proceeded to feed Mark his own still-beating heart.

There have been a few flashes of pre-Ngata Sanchez since then, but they were brief, for the most part, aside from the 2012 opener against the Bills.

His mechanics are gone, his confidence is gone, and both are likely due to an as yet untreated injury.

But what is done is done. Maybe he gets his head and body together at some point, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that to happen with the Jets anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baloney, Sanchez played about 6 really good games in his career. He has played about the same his whole career except for a few games. The Jets, with a stacked oline, running game and defense barely eeked into the playoffs twice but for the grace of god and won some playoff games, in which he really played well in about 3 of 6 games.

As for rhythm, he never had it. If you watched games where the team never brought in the wildcat he could throw 3 great passes in three plays and then dirt ball the next three.

If you want to point to a turning point as to when things started to really go wrong? For me it was very early in his career when the team told him to to run the friggin ball and become essentially a pocket passer thus taking away any aggressiveness he had to his game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    If the best the Jets are going to do is Quinn or Garrard to compete with Sanchez, why not let Tebow stay and compete?

and there you have it...and he actually covers football for a living.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    If the best the Jets are going to do is Quinn or Garrard to compete with Sanchez, why not let Tebow stay and compete?

and there you have it...and he actually covers football for a living.
    I don't see much difference between Tebow and Quinn because I think they both suck, but Garrard has definitely done some things in this league that makes him adequate. But in addition to Garrard, the Jets will be adding a guy in the draft I believe.

Tebow is a goner. Most likely Mcelroy as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I don't see much difference between Tebow and Quinn because I think they both suck, but Garrard has definitely done some things in this league that makes him adequate. But in addition to Garrard, the Jets will be adding a guy in the draft I believe.

Tebow is a goner. Most likely Mcelroy as well.
    Quinn doesn't bring a circus...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sanchez may have 'looked better' years ago, but he was still an inaccurate turnover machine. it's not like his completion percentage started out at 65% and steadily decreased to 55%. and it's not like he fumbled 3 times his rookie year and threw 10 picks, which steadily increased over the past 3 years. when he entered the nfl he was more confident in his abilities. as the games wore on and he kept turning it over, getting sacked, making mistakes and having the defense bail him out, he lost confidence in himself. he wasn't on usc anymore and the differential in aggregate team talent couldn't mask his deficiencies. sanchez would have failed on any nfl team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a fan of Sanchez at this point but based on circumstances he's the best option the team has in 2013.

Some good posts on this page....Tanny let the O go to hell and Schotty didnt help develop the kid while Sparano actually hurt his development. Jets finally have a real OC....draft some OL help and playmakers on O....draft a 2d-3rd rd QB to develop compete and let's go.

Fans love to rip players but do you know what people like even more.....a good comeback story - and whata story it would be if Sanchez could turn it around and put up a good season in 2013. Not saying it will happen by any stretch but its possible if Izdek and the coaches give him the help he needs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would much rather have Garrard(if healthy)than Sanchez any day!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quinn doesn't bring a circus...
    Absolutely... Except the entire circus aspect was media driven. The dopey fans buy into it but really the only thing that should matter is what happens on the field.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!! Please post more!!

One sequence from last season stands out and explains just how truly incompetent the Jets have been with Sanchez..TN MNF..Sanchez completes 2 straight 10+ yards passes for 1st downs and we're sitting watching and saying, "alright, he's got a rhythm going now" and what does the genius Jets coaches do? They pull Sanchez and put in Tebow for the WC..Brilliant!!
    Thank you again, I put a lot into my posts so it's nice to hear.

I try to post as often as I can it's just been a bit difficult recently with college going on (I'm only 19 lol).

Completely agree with your points on Sparano. I didn't have a real issue with the DESIGN of his plays (Routes and such), they were, IMO, better than Schotty's, but his feel for what was going on was completely atrocious. His handling of Tebow and the WC did nothing but harm.

Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    The exact moment in 2011 was when Haloti Ngata crushed him bodily and then proceeded to feed Mark his own still-beating heart.

There have been a few flashes of pre-Ngata Sanchez since then, but they were brief, for the most part, aside from the 2012 opener against the Bills.

His mechanics are gone, his confidence is gone, and both are likely due to an as yet untreated injury.

But what is done is done. Maybe he gets his head and body together at some point, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that to happen with the Jets anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    I am not a fan of Sanchez at this point but based on circumstances he's the best option the team has in 2013.

Some good posts on this page....Tanny let the O go to hell and Schotty didnt help develop the kid while Sparano actually hurt his development. Jets finally have a real OC....draft some OL help and playmakers on O....draft a 2d-3rd rd QB to develop compete and let's go.

Fans love to rip players but do you know what people like even more.....a good comeback story - and whata story it would be if Sanchez could turn it around and put up a good season in 2013. Not saying it will happen by any stretch but its possible if Izdek and the coaches give him the help he needs.
    Whole-heartedly agree with these posts. I'm not expecting much, at this point it's just hope. I think that if Mark can effectively "erase his hard drive" as Rex put it, truly win the QB competition, and have a strong start like he did in '09 & '10, there is a REALLY slim chance that maybe, JUST MAYBE, that he can pull himself out of this, the same way that Alex Smith did in 2011. Again, I'm not expecting this to happen, but I still hope it happens.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 03-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really hope that Garrard is 100% healthy and that a deal gets done. Given the other options out there, he is the best mixture of talent, experience, scheme fit, and price for the Jets.

If healthy and given a fair shake, he has the talent to force the Jets to sit Sanchez.

Then, add a Manuel or a Wilson or a Bray or a Scott and let him learn from a good pro in Garrard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know anything about this guys recent history, but based on what I've seen, I think he would be the best stopgap we could hope for. I know he isn't the long term answer, but I always thought he was a little better than average QB. Seemed to take good care of the football and could hit some tough throws now and then.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Absolutely... Except the entire circus aspect was media driven. The dopey fans buy into it but really the only thing that should matter is what happens on the field.
    right..that QB plan, and active, inactive by Rex was also media driven...