Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 349

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    "So what he is 34?" - Do we have a super bowl roster here that he will push over the top?

    Flynn isnt going to cost a top pick like alex smith did. We are taking about a 5th round pick for a guy who is tailor made for the WCO and is only 27 years old.

    Why even bother with garrard, we know his ceiling and its low. If we are going to pay a 34 year old QB to be mediocore for us, I would rather play sanchez every game or even mcelroy.

    It is a MUCH better risk reward to go after a QB who could turn into a top 15 guy for the next 6 years.

    David Garrard, no game action in 2 years and hes a good guy to bring in...unreal.
    it's a stop gap.. someone to bring in to hopefully put Sanchez on the bench, and not turn the ball over 30 times while doing so.. nothing more, nothing less.

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    it's a stop gap.. someone to bring in to hopefully put Sanchez on the bench, and not turn the ball over 30 times while doing so.. nothing more, nothing less.
    Agreed, but would rather bring in Matt Moore, definitely better than Sanchez, and Brady Quinn for sure.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    "So what he is 34?" - Do we have a super bowl roster here that he will push over the top?

    Flynn isnt going to cost a top pick like alex smith did. We are taking about a 5th round pick for a guy who is tailor made for the WCO and is only 27 years old.

    Why even bother with garrard, we know his ceiling and its low. If we are going to pay a 34 year old QB to be mediocore for us, I would rather play sanchez every game or even mcelroy.

    It is a MUCH better risk reward to go after a QB who could turn into a top 15 guy for the next 6 years.

    David Garrard, no game action in 2 years and hes a good guy to bring in...unreal.

    Why because he was injured, he is healthy now. If you want Flynn for your long range qb-fine. 11 mill over 2 years with no SB is a reasonable pick up. But remember you will have to clear another 5 mill of cap room for him and give up a pick, but who knows maybe he will do a deal and push some of the cap hit into next year.

    IMO Garrard was the guy for a transition, no for the future.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ConorTOrr: On David Garrard, tire kicking, and other #Jets workouts today | http://t.co/YJf3s86FST

    http://profootballzone.com/nfl/jets-...+Football+Zone)
    @ConorTOrr: Per his Twitter page, it looks like DB Eric Crocker has signed with the #jets.

    http://www.lodinews.com/sports/artic....html?mode=jqm
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.

  5. #65
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ConorTOrr: Per his Twitter page, it looks like DB Eric Crocker has signed with the #jets.
    Idzy's first official signing...

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    it's a stop gap.. someone to bring in to hopefully put Sanchez on the bench, and not turn the ball over 30 times while doing so.. nothing more, nothing less.
    But what does it accomplish? If we played mcelroy we could see if he could be a decent backup and probably win 5 games.

    If we sign garrard, we dont play any young players and win 6 games....YAY!

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why because he was injured, he is healthy now. If you want Flynn for your long range qb-fine. 11 mill over 2 years with no SB is a reasonable pick up. But remember you will have to clear another 5 mill of cap room for him and give up a pick, but who knows maybe he will do a deal and push some of the cap hit into next year.

    IMO Garrard was the guy for a transition, no for the future.
    Are you positive on the 11 million?

    He got a decent signing bonus and only 2 million of his 2013 salary is guaranteed, so why would it be 11 million.

    Plus if he is awesome, we can redo a long term deal making his 2014 salary moot and if he sucks we cut him as its not guaranteed.

  8. #68
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like
    its seems as though he has some talent and experience. May not be as bad as many here think...Landry was a risk with injury and look at how well he turned out to be.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    But what does it accomplish? If we played mcelroy we could see if he could be a decent backup and probably win 5 games.

    If we sign garrard, we dont play any young players and win 6 games....YAY!
    McElroy sucks. We already know that.

    There aren't any FA QBs who could come in here and we'd be able to claim we'd 'accomplish' anything by playing them... but don't you agree that we need someone budget friendly to compete with Sanchez?

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard is 35 and done, but at least they have started looking for a filler.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to see AJ Feeley get a look he knows the system.

  12. #72
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Would like to see AJ Feeley get a look he knows the system.
    Even at 35, I would bring him in, too. Plus, with a name like that, his presence would be a virtual cavalcade of jokes.

  13. #73
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    12123-N.Y.
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    They might as well just bring jeff garcia in for a look he did say he would be the jets next.burnell for rex and he knows the.system inside and out under marty and hes in decent shape lol

  14. #74
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    What's the point of wasting money on a sh!t QB? Seriously, I'd rather ride with McElroy and it's pretty well documented how I feel about him. We have NO cap room to waste on a guy just to have him here riding the bench. Mark Sanchez is starting next year because he's the best option we have on the roster and because he makes way too much money.

    Garrard and Quinn are going to do better than Mark Sanchez? No. If they do, what are they gonna win? Maybe 1 more game? At least we won't have the horrible turnover stats... YAY!

    This team needs two things on offense, Chance Warmack at #9 and Montee Ball or a comparable legitimate starting RB with all the tools. Both can be had in the draft and for a decent price. Seriously, what's the point of bringing in a broken down or a never has been at QB? There's no chance in hell that the Jets win the Super Bowl with either crappy QB and all they are doing is taking up a roster spot from a good player with actual potential. There's just no cap room for that this year.
    Sanchez will be released in August b/c if he's released after July it doesn't affect our cap number this year. Garrard, Quinn or a rookie QB we draft will start. McElroy and Simms will be on PS, possibly.

  15. #75
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You've obviously never seen Manziel play.
    Manziel has a weak arm. You can run all you want but if you don't threaten a team with your arm (Tebow) you won't be a good QB in the NFL. Wilson and RGIII have the arm strength to get it done, Manziel is a faster version of McElroy.

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSackExchange View Post
    They might as well just bring jeff garcia in for a look he did say he would be the jets next.burnell for rex and he knows the.system inside and out under marty and hes in decent shape lol
    Talking temporary not answers.

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Sanchez will be released in August b/c if he's released after July it doesn't affect our cap number this year. Garrard, Quinn or a rookie QB we draft will start. McElroy and Simms will be on PS, possibly.
    Huh?

    And yes, it will be costly, because in the offseason, the Jets, for some reason, decided to reward Sanchez for the team not winning Peyton Manning's services by giving him a $40.5 million extension. As we discussed earlier this month, Sanchez is guaranteed $8.25 million contract next season with no offset language. So, the team has to pay him that much even if Sanchez finds another job, and if the Jets designate him a June 1 cut, he still would count $12.35 million against the salary cap in 2013 and $4.8 million in 2014 (see, this is one big reason why Tannenbaum probably should start looking for another place of employment).

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...h-mark-sanchez

  18. #78
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    He's 34. Hasn't played in 2 years. Is often injured. Was cut by Miami of all people. And had one OK season at QB in the NFL.

    Yeah, he's the best option for the Jets.... if you're a Pasts* fan.
    Do you actually know why he was cut? He got hurt and before he got hurt he was the #1 QB on the Dolphins depth chart. At least know what you're talking about.

  19. #79
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Huh?

    And yes, it will be costly, because in the offseason, the Jets, for some reason, decided to reward Sanchez for the team not winning Peyton Manning's services by giving him a $40.5 million extension. As we discussed earlier this month, Sanchez is guaranteed $8.25 million contract next season with no offset language. So, the team has to pay him that much even if Sanchez finds another job, and if the Jets designate him a June 1 cut, he still would count $12.35 million against the salary cap in 2013 and $4.8 million in 2014 (see, this is one big reason why Tannenbaum probably should start looking for another place of employment).

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...h-mark-sanchez
    Yeah I know, whether you keep him or not after July 1st his contract will be the same in 2013 and 2014. I just think the Jets will just get rid of him if he doesn't win the job. There is no difference to cutting him July 1, 2013 or February 2014, the cap hit is the same for both years. So it is just as costly to keep him as it is to cut him except by cutting him you get rid of some of the drama and bad vibes of the past 2 years.

  20. #80
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Quinn and Garrard. Just depressing...
    And exactly who should the Jets be targeting? Don't think Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers are available

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us