Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Put Brady and Manning in Rex's offensive systems and they become middling Qb's . You can't look at stats in a vacuum. A prime example is Matt Cassell - surround him with a sound fundamental offensive plan and good Oline like the Pats had and he looks good. Let him start for KC and they're abortion of an offense and you get ****.

If you want to say that Rex's offense has been the worst prooductive for QB's over the past two years -I'll agree 100%.
    Change that to "tell him what the defensive play call is" and then give him the officials in his pocket, and add in some oline holding, and you may have something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Not to live in the past but under Cavanaugh, Sanchez went to two AFCCG. However, when his role expanded Sanchez crumbled. He simply is not ready or talented enough to carry a team and help his surrounding casrt to get better.
    Wrong once again, the Jets G&P system went to two AFCCG's , when the horses necessary to run the G&P were gone so was the G&P but our stubborn HC still insisted it was the way to success. Sanchez crumbled in part because the Rex system became ineffective.

He may not be the calibre of QB to put his team on his shoulders and carry them but they need to give him an offensive identity before we can try to find out what he is.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Garrard > Tebow

Garrard > Quinn

Garrard > Cassell

Garrard > McElroy

He will cost the vet minimum ($800K for a player his age), will be a decent backup and is cheaper than Tebow ($2 mil). Alex Smith is not that good you guys are so wrong about him and Matt Moore it isn't funny.
    Garrard is also > Sanchez.

Garrard 85.8 QBR, 61.6% Completion, 89 TD and 54 INT
    Sanchez 71.6, 55.1%, 68 and 69

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Serious question .... Are you more likely to gain a true franchise QB with a top 5 pick or a 15+ pick ? ...
    Historically , I 'd say 15+ . For every can't miss prospect- Manning, Luck , RGIII, Bradshaw,Aikman there's the QB drafted later who flourised with proper coaching team personnel - Brady, Marino, Rodgers, Favre, Staubach etc....

And on the flip side just any many top 5 who flamed out - Russell, Carr, Couch, Mirer, Leaf etc....
    Last edited by 56mehl56; 03-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not true. How soon people forget the number of 4th qtr comeback wins he lead in '10, including at Indy in the playoffs. And he didn't **** the bed in 1 of his 6 playoff games, all on the road.

Yes, he sucked in 2012 but so did the whole damn O. People *****ed all season about how poor the WRs and RBs were but its all the QBs fault? Where is the '12 OC? QB Coach? Now can Mornhenwig straighten him out? We'll find out. If not, he's gone in '14. But don't say he hasn't done ****. It's an ignorant comment.
    +infinity

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Put Brady and Manning in Rex's offensive systems and they become middling Qb's . You can't look at stats in a vacuum. A prime example is Matt Cassell - surround him with a sound fundamental offensive plan and good Oline like the Pats had and he looks good. Let him start for KC and they're abortion of an offense and you get ****.

If you want to say that Rex's offense has been the worst prooductive for QB's over the past two years -I'll agree 100%.
    Cassell looked good in 2010 when he had 27 tds and 7 picks.. In 2011 Charles was lost for the season and TJ was old and shot plus Haley got replaced by Crennel.. BTW Rex really doesn't have a offensive system that was one of the problems..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Garrard is also > Sanchez.

Garrard 85.8 QBR, 61.6% Completion, 89 TD and 54 INT
    Sanchez 71.6, 55.1%, 68 and 69
    If healthy I agree. Why this move is such a no-brainer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you...

Also Garrard eventually left from the Jacksonville Jaguars not becuse he wasnt any good but because Jacksonville wanted to save money but people just make stuff up out here like Garrard was a medicore journeyman QB!!!!!

Indeed in Garrard's last year with Jacksonville he concluded the 2010 season by throwing for 23 touchdowns, 2,734 yards and a quarterback rating of 91, while earning a spot in the 2010 Pro Bowl. Jacksonville drafted a QB and cut Garrard to stop from giving Garrard the money he deserved...ummm how did that work out for Jacksonville??

Great right

Garrard has been a better NFL QB then Quin or Sanchez or all of the other FA QBs available now!!! Are we kidding!!!

FF run amuck!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Problem with Garrard is he's not a sexy name like Alex Smith, Matt Moore or Nick Foles. He's been off the radar for a couple years so 20 year old Jets fans haven't been seeing him in SC highlights and fantasy football drafts.

But if healthy Garrard is better than all those aforementioned qbs and will cost the league minimum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem with Garrard is he's not a sexy name like Alex Smith, Matt Moore or Nick Foles. He's been off the radar for a couple years so 20 year old Jets fans haven't been seeing him in SC highlights and fantasy football drafts.

But if healthy Garrard is better than all those aforementioned qbs and will cost the league minimum.
    I have no clue about the league minimum, but the money would indeed be short, and he would have little problem beating out Sanchez, if indeed the QB competition is open and legitimate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Franchize QB

My prediction is E.J Manuel as the starter in 2014. he has all the tools to be a franchise back.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

E.J Manuel

Whoops, i meant franchise QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I have no clue about the league minimum, but the money would indeed be short, and he would have little problem beating out Sanchez, if indeed the QB competition is open and legitimate.

I think it's around $835K league minimum for someone with as many years in the NFL as Garrard. Signing Garrard and cutting Tebow would save us an add'l $1mil in cap room and Garrard is better than Tebow with none of his baggage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I suggested two years ago to bring Garrard in to compete with Sanchez, get Sanchez put on the bench and then have Sanchez learn what the heck he is supposed to do as an NFL QB.

Now we are getting him three years later. Is Garrard going to be as good as he would have been then? No...

But there is no way in the world he makes the consistently dumb plays we saw Sanchez make last year.

Why some folks are reflexively against Garrard is beyond me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    1: and? We're a team with a bad set of QBs and most likely won't draft one until 2014, so a stopgap is just what we need. It's at least a good way to not have to watch Failchez throw to wide open defenders.

2: See 1.

We're most likely not drafting a QB until 2014, so go ahead and throw that dream out the window. As for the other 3...HUH? You want us, a team that needs every pick we can get, to trade for a QB who's entire reputation is based off of 1 game in the GB offense; a QB who only started for Philly because Vick is made of glass, and when he did he was nothing special; a QB who had 1 good year in Philly, got traded to Arizona and proceeded to do absolutely nothing. Yeah, no thank you.

Let's just roll with Garrard/Sanchez/Quinn/Whoever in 2013 and wait patiently until 2014 rolls around.

I don't think we should wait. Draft a QB this year and next year. We've seen QB's drafted outside of the 1st round have a lot of success recently - Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson. Not a difficult concept.

Starting your boy Garrard does nothing for this franchise.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm giving Idzak a pass on this quarter back situation. The cap situation is horrendous and there is no way the Jets can afford a real NFL QB. So we will settle for Gerard and perhaps Quinn. It will be interesting to see if they draft one, but this class isn't great. Sanchez will be the starting QB on opening day. Another season gone down the tubes---Lets just hope that the guy can turn this chaotic mess around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I don't think we should wait. Draft a QB this year and next year. We've seen QB's drafted outside of the 1st round have a lot of success recently - Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson. Not a difficult concept.

Starting your boy Garrard does nothing for this franchise.
    I agree with part one of your statement. I can't imagine not taking a QB somewhere between the 3rd and 7th rounds. Bray, Dysert, Scott - take a shot on someone.

I disagree with part two. As a season ticket holder, I can't bear watching Sanchez play another game as our starting QB. Garrard could at least make the games watchable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Cassell looked good in 2010 when he had 27 tds and 7 picks.. In 2011 Charles was lost for the season and TJ was old and shot plus Haley got replaced by Crennel.. BTW Rex really doesn't have a offensive system that was one of the problems..
    In essence that's my point in a nutshell. People look at Sanchez's stats and say he's the worst QB in the league. They don't factor in supporting cast , development and the lack of a solid offensive gameplan.

They point to the two AFCCG;'s and say Rex gave him everything by having a G&P team that was effective. Unfortunately, the Jets could have taken it to the next level if Rex only allowed the O to work outside his limited box. When the D **** the bed in the playoffs esp against Pitt , they didn't have an O that was capable of making a comeback though Sanchez did an admirable job. Rex's vision of G&P and defense got this team so far but prevented it from climbing over the hill and setup it up for a precipitous fall when the G&P was no longer effective.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft a QB this year and next year.
    For what reason? Let's focus on building an OLine and receiving corps in this draft. It does nothing for us to settle for a QB this year when 2013 is a wash anyway. The New York Jets are about 2014 and beyond, so we'll think about a QB in the 2014 draft after we've built up the rest of the team.

We've seen QB's drafted outside of the 1st round have a lot of success recently - Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson. Not a difficult concept.
    They aren't the norm, though. Dalton's been fine, but we have yet to see if the Wilson/Kaepernick's of the world are one-hit wonders or not. Again, focus on building foundation this year and then worry about a QB in 2014.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It keeps getting worse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, + infinity

My biggest problem with many of the younger generation fans