Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He is not great, the jets are not looking for him to be great, but competent enough to challenge or supplant Sanchez if Sanchez does not play to his contract next year.

He is the best 1mill a year option for the jets.
    I just can't see the Jets sitting a 12M cap hit on the bench. But then again, they might have to. It's a really, really bad situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He is not great, the jets are not looking for him to be great, but competent enough to challenge or supplant Sanchez if Sanchez does not play to his contract next year.

He is the best 1mill a year option for the jets.
    No he's not.

Someone who can stay on the field and legitimately battle Sanchez and take the job from Sanchez is the best option for the Jets.

A 35 year old who hasn't played a down of football is the best option? I don't think so. I don't think Brady Quinn is either, but neither is Garrard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    The idea that Garrard is from a previous generation's consciousness is the funniest part.
    Yeah, that too. Unless there are some seven year old's on this board, he's within all of our generations.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Yeah, that too. Unless there are some seven year old's on this board, he's within all of our generations.
    Hell I saw Johnny Unitas play as a rookie.. And Jim Brown play at Manhasset HS..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just can't see the Jets sitting a 12M cap hit on the bench. But then again, they might have to. It's a really, really bad situation.

Calm down Patriot homer

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a training camp body nothing more......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry if I misremembered the situation. OK fine, the Jaguars, clearly working with a top notch FO that has been so successful for so many years, decided not to play him. If I do remember correctly, they actually cut him right before the start of the season. And then he sat out for a year. Won't have played in almost 3 years. You're right, he's solid. I could probably search for a post where you shat all over Garrard back in the day, but now that he's a Jets' QB prospect, he's suddenly underrated. Gimmeafvckinbreak.

Stop riding the coattails of others on this board Patriot homer

Me pointing out that the younger generation of fans all complaining about the prospective move, doesn't change the fact that Garrard IS a solid player when healthy, it means the younger fans don't know who he is. All I've said that if healthy, this is a move I prefer over the other QB's that the Jets have been rumored to be linked in.

Garrard would be a very solid transition move for the Jets I'm also still one of the few who still believe Sanchez can turn things around under Mornhinweg. I also think the Jets need to target in a QB in this draft, the 3 I like the most are Smith, Bray, and Manuel.

But you go ahead and pretend to know what I said in the past and what I think
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    People need to realize there is no way we can be competitive this year...we are basically rebuilding...we need to start having great drafts...it's impossible to keep every great player you have in the salary cap era...and this team is in no position to sign any big name free agents.......we need to draft well so we can have consistent success ...not sign or trade for a bunch of players...be good for 2 years and then suck and in salary cap hell..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RichCimini: David Garrard update: Lines of communication remain open, but no deal imminent. Likely to take at least a wk as #Jets tend to other biz.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    No he's not.

Someone who can stay on the field and legitimately battle Sanchez and take the job from Sanchez is the best option for the Jets.

A 35 year old who hasn't played a down of football is the best option? I don't think so. I don't think Brady Quinn is either, but neither is Garrard.
    Well you need to say come up with somebody's name. Find me somebody that has started a few years inthe NFL that will come in and play for 1 mill and challange /sanchez I got

tyler Thigpen
    RexGrossman
    Gradcowski
    Chalie Batch who probably wouldnot leave the steelers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    He's a training camp body nothing more......
    He's better than any QB on the roster. If he's just a training camp body, I hate to think what those other 3 must be...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Hell I saw Johnny Unitas play as a rookie.. And Jim Brown play at Manhasset HS..
    That's amazing. Manhasset was my town's rival. Incredible lacrosse player too.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, just bring in someone who can compete on a level playing field with Sanchez. If the FO feels Gerrard or and one else for that matter can improve this offense from last year, this fan is all for it.
    I take in to consideration the talent level of this team last year and understand it left much to be desired. Yet, the play of the QB was beyond ugly and and well below the level of a 4 year starter. Even a decent JAG would have improved the play of those around him even slightly. I think we can all agree that was not the case with Mark, if anything his play pull the team down.
    So, unless our new GM pulls off a miracle and moves Mark, he will be here next season. As a fan, all I ask for,is for the first time in his career,have someone in camp who can actually beat him out for the starting job. An if thru a fair competition, Mark is not the best QB in camp and at the start of the season,then whoever wins takes over the starters role.
    I would also not complain if thru a FAIR competition Mark came out on top, he started again. My one proviso to that is, that we have a backup who is ready to step in should Mark start to fall back and continue his slide to the long term backup status. Also the hope that the coaching staff will have the balls to make the switch without regard to any players feeling and do what best and right for the team.
    Last edited by fltflo; 03-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Signing Garrard tells me the Jets plan to draft a QB this year, but still want to be competitive this season in case the young QB isn't ready.

If they wanted to tank the season they'd just stick with the garbage we already have on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or it's another Brunell move. Bring in an old fart that can stand in in a pinch but will serve primarily as a mentor. Rex has not given up on Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Or it's another Brunell move. Bring in an old fart that can stand in in a pinch but will serve primarily as a mentor. Rex has not given up on Sanchez.
    Garrard isn't a Brunnel move, he will come and compete for the job.

I think the Jets will also draft a QB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Idzik doesn't give a rat's ass about coddling Sanchez. And at this point Rex doesn't either. He's worried more about his own job to care about Sanchez's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Garrard isn't a Brunnel move, he will come and compete for the job.
    Garrard vs. Sanchez.

Scintillating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Garrard vs. Sanchez.

Scintillating.
    :popcorn:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And they would be wrong, Garrard wasn't replaced by Gabbert because he was injured, the Jags didn't want to pay Garrard, then the injuries started. If healthy, Garrard is a solid QB. You must be one of the 24 yr olds.
    +1

The people who just dismissed Garrard as washed up are ignorant of the facts. He was a cap casualty in Jacksonville and at the time Gabbert was a high draft pick who hadn't yet proven to be a bad player. Garrard would have started over Matt Moore and Ryan Tannehill last season if he didn't have a foot injury in preseason.

Oh well, we didn't trade a 1st round pick for Alex Smith so let's rebuild