Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard Works Out For Jets Today

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agree about Sanchez!
    Also agree. He was given more than most QBs. No one ruined him or anything like that. He's simply not very good.

He's going to be a disaster in MM offense... Terrible fit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    This is competition? LOL
    Brunnell
    Tebow.

Sanchez is horrible and has more turnovers than any Qb in football the last two years.

Yes, as sad as it may be any minimally viable jag QB's are legit competition.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I guess Savage is naive too since he pointed out Vinnie T's success once Parcells got hold of him..
    Do you realize what you sound like? Do you know what the rest of the NFL, coaching staffs, players, fans, media, basically everyone - do you know what kind of a look you'd get for bringing up Vinny when asked about Sanchez?

C'mon.

Yes, it's a tragedy. It's even a possibility - if handled differently back in 2010 - that Sanchez wouldn't be in this exact condition, in this situation... who knows.

but it is what is now. And that's over.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No apologies necessary but thanks...I think we're speaking the same language here..Where do you place Mornhenwig?

McCarthy only had 1 year with Smith, and it was his rookie year...
    Yeah, we're not too far off.

To answer your question:

I think Mornhinweg is definitely higher up there than Schotty and Sparano in terms of developing QBs or at least getting guys to play over their heads. Don't think there's any debate in that.

He definitely did a good job making unheralded or middling QBs like Jeff Garcia, AJ Feely, and Kevin Kolb look competent. He struggled with Harrington in his lone season together in Detroit, but maybe Harrington was doomed from the start. He was a pretty massive bust in the pros.

I still believe that's an above average track record, one that is reputable enough to give one last desperation shot for Sanchez, but I think part of that is attributed to the fact that Sanchez is still owed guaranteed money. Sanchez also needs somewhat viable competition this year (and I'm not talking Brady Quinn or McElroy). If Garrard is truly healthy, that'll suffice and I'm sure we can sign him without any serious guaranteed money due to his prior health concerns.

I'm certainly not optimistic about Sanchez's chances, but you're right in that Mornhinweg is one of a handful of coaches that could pull the rabbit out of the hat. I just don't think he is close to that Harbaugh/Roman tier, however.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sold on this move. Garrard hasn't played in forever and has had major injuries. In his prime, yes, he is a better option than Sanchez, but now, he feels like fake competition for Mark. I'm assuming this is not the only competition that will be brought in because it is laughable if that is the case.

Healthy, he is a slight upgrade over Sanchez in that he won't turn it over much, but you aren't going anywhere with 35 year-old Garrard at the helm. If the idea is to be crummy next season with the hope of landing a really good QB prospect in next year's draft, this move sort of makes sense then.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Do you realize what you sound like? Do you know what the rest of the NFL, coaching staffs, players, fans, media, basically everyone - do you know what kind of a look you'd get for bringing up Vinny when asked about Sanchez?

C'mon.

Yes, it's a tragedy. It's even a possibility - if handled differently back in 2010 - that Sanchez wouldn't be in this exact condition, in this situation... who knows.

but it is what is now. And that's over.
    I can give a rats ass what I sound like. I'm not apologizing for logically thinking instead of saying, "he sucks".."he's done". I've explained my reasons/explanation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Savage is naive too since he pointed out Vinnie T's success once Parcells got hold of him..
    Well I guess I could have added Steve Young who also sucked with the Buc's like Vinny.. I know most fans believe there's no hope for Sanchez my only fear is that Sanchez may agree with them..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Well I guess I could have added Steve Young who also sucked with the Buc's like Vinny.. I know most fans believe there's no hope for Sanchez my only fear is that Sanchez may agree with them..
    A lot of truth in that -

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No apologies necessary but thanks...I think we're speaking the same language here..Where do you place Mornhenwig?

McCarthy only had 1 year with Smith, and it was his rookie year...
    C Mart; during the past season you were as critical of Sanchez as anyone. Now you are changing your tune somewhat. I think Sanchez can be OK as a QB but we are talking about trying to win a SB. IMO the guy is not competant enough to get us there no matter how strong our D is or how great the OL is. He is too inaccurate of a QB and has happy feet and no feel for the pocket. His decision making is a bit out of left field also. The statement about Vinny was a bit underreported as well. When that guy first came into the NFL with Tampa he NEVER had a real QB coach of any kind. He had the job of trying to learn how to read defenses by himself. As time went on he did a credible job of it. Further he had NO talent at all around him in Tampa for years. By the time he got to the Jets he was a much different QB as far as reading defenses and he had lots of talent around him. He was somewaht erratic though. So many here called him INTERCEPTERVERDE when he was with us! TUNA is in the Hall of Fame but not because he made Vinny into a great QB. He was already a very good QB when he got to us but unable to step up to the next level. He gave us a great season and lots of hope but that is about it. I was a Vinny fan but lets not go overboard with it.

I hope Sanchez can change and become a great QB and take us to the SB and win it. That is why we play the game. To merely get to the AFCCG is not enough. IMO I doubt Mark can get us to and win a SB no matter who the OC is or how much talent we have surrounding him. We have read all the excuses here for Mark. The man is an adult. He gets paid to win! No excuses are necessary if he does not win!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are missing what I'm saying. It's not that Mark is unequivocally done as a quarterback. It's that he's future with the New Jets is unequivocally done. You have to understand why that's a reality.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4823803]Brunnell
    Tebow.

Sanchez is horrible and has more turnovers than any Qb in football the last two years.

Yes, as sad as it may be any minimally viable jag QB's are legit competition.[/QUOTE]

Sad but so very true Fish

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are missing what I'm saying. It's not that Mark is unequivocally done as a quarterback. It's that he's future with the New Jets is unequivocally done. You have to understand why that's a reality.
    Cannot argue with you one bit

With all that guaranteed money, a monstrously prohibitive cap hit and a desperate hope that the new OC and QB coach can rehab Sanchez …..maybe he stays till 2014

On the other hand how can we possibly START that POS at home at Met Life.
    Fans booing their own team ……televised ……not such a good idea!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    C Mart; during the past season you were as critical of Sanchez as anyone. Now you are changing your tune somewhat. I think Sanchez can be OK as a QB but we are talking about trying to win a SB. IMO the guy is not competant enough to get us there no matter how strong our D is or how great the OL is. He is too inaccurate of a QB and has happy feet and no feel for the pocket. His decision making is a bit out of left field also. The statement about Vinny was a bit underreported as well. When that guy first came into the NFL with Tampa he NEVER had a real QB coach of any kind. He had the job of trying to learn how to read defenses by himself. As time went on he did a credible job of it. Further he had NO talent at all around him in Tampa for years. By the time he got to the Jets he was a much different QB as far as reading defenses and he had lots of talent around him. He was somewaht erratic though. So many here called him INTERCEPTERVERDE when he was with us! TUNA is in the Hall of Fame but not because he made Vinny into a great QB. He was already a very good QB when he got to us but unable to step up to the next level. He gave us a great season and lots of hope but that is about it. I was a Vinny fan but lets not go overboard with it.

I hope Sanchez can change and become a great QB and take us to the SB and win it. That is why we play the game. To merely get to the AFCCG is not enough. IMO I doubt Mark can get us to and win a SB no matter who the OC is or how much talent we have surrounding him. We have read all the excuses here for Mark. The man is an adult. He gets paid to win! No excuses are necessary if he does not win!
    Because its obvious Sanchez is a different player today then '09-'10. Those that say differently are wrong. So why is that? Yes, he sucked in '12, but what about all the talk on here from last season how the RBs sucked and how bad the Jets WRs were? So then how could any QB be successful if that is the case? Add to that the clueless OC, who if he was any good as an OC would still be here, right?

All I'm saying is considering all that and how Sanchez is most likely a Jet in '13, due to his contract/cap hit, lets see what Mornhenwig, a proven, competent OC/developer of QBs, can do. If he sux, he's gone. The Jets aren't going to the SB this season.

I've suggested going after Foles, if Mornhenwig endorses him, since he knows him and his abilities better than anyone, including Reid. Why spend a 2nd round pick on a QB in the draft if your OC already has coached Foles.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    While rolling out is one of sanchez's "strengths" he is one of the most horrendus screen pass QBs I have ever seen. He has zero feel for when to throw it and has wound up with MULTIPLE INTs to defensive lineman when trying to execute screens. Screen passes happen to be a staple of MMs offense.

Oh, and he has zero tough when throwing to RBs as his outlet. Greene didnt have great hands, but sanchez loved to drill it right at him (see poor pocket presence and lack of football game feel) all the time.
    I agree, he has had difficulties with the screen passes, predominantly getting the ball over the defenders arms.

I will question how much the screen was/is practiced and what percentage of the playbook plays are based off of it. In the 4 years that Rex has been coach , I might be exaggerating but if they called 2 dozen screens it seems like a lot. I also got the feel that the screens in general were never quite setup effectively, almost that the RB's never cleared the LOS and the plays were more like laterals than actual screens.

MM's offense should ramp up those numbers extensively and thus also drive the practice reps up accordingly. Like anything else if you don't practice it and use it often it can become a problem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

You can make those same statements about Sanchez. Other than implementing G&P which masked the woeful developement of the JETS offensive skill players, Rex has virtually ignored the offensive side of the ball.

Do you think Cavanaugh helped Sanchez ??? I don't .
    Do you think Sanchez was surrounded by great offensive talent ?? I don't.

Again Sanchez may be all the things his critics here say he is( inaccurate, gunshy, a turnover machine, poor arm , can't read defenses). But , maybe, just maybe he was never developed and utilized in an offensive system that could truly help him and the Jets have a real offense, one that Rex was so unwilling to unleash.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he'll get booed? What NY athlete, including Jeter and Eli, hasn't been?

Hey if Idzik/Woody want to cut bait now go right ahead. I'm just guessing with his '13 contract/cap hit he'll be here for '13. So see what happens. Have I said anything about starting him? Giving him a new contract? No. Just see what happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he'll get booed? What NY athlete, including Jeter and Eli, hasn't been?
    If you finger the office secretary, and everyone finds out... That sh*t doesn't go away. Not ever.

It's with you for life.

New Guy -- "...Who's that?"

Charles from Accounting -- "That's Bill. He blasted a secretary once".

Next time Bill so much as looks at an intern... look out. It affects everyone's opinion and perception. That guy can't be trusted to keep his pen out of the company ink. That's fcking tattooed on his forehead.

...Mark tanked. Big time. The biggest franchise implosion I can recall in decades. That sh*t isn't going anywhere. It's there waiting for him. He'll have to take the Jets to the playoffs, nay, the AFFCCG every year, for the rest of his career - to dispel any chance of this team wanting to move on.

It's over. It's not a matter of "if", it's just how long the FO can keep the fire under control.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you finger the office secretary, and everyone finds out... That sh*t doesn't go away. Not ever.

It's with you for life.

Next time Bill so much as looks at an intern... look out. It affects everyone's opinion and perception. That guy can't be trusted to keep his pen out of the company ink. That's fcking tattooed on his forehead.

...Mark tanked. Big time. The biggest franchise implosion I can recall in decades. That sh*t isn't going anywhere. It's there waiting for him. He'll have to take the Jets to the playoffs, nay, the AFFCCG every year, for the rest of his career - to dispel any chance of this team wanting to move on.

It's over. It's not a matter of "if", it's just how long the FO can keep the fire under control.
    Implosion in decades? Ha! Better not stop with the QB then. Look along the sideline.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's with you for life.

...Mark tanked. Big time. The biggest franchise implosion I can recall in decades.That sh*t isn't going anywhere. It's there waiting for him. He'll have to take the Jets to the playoffs, nay, the AFFCCG every year, for the rest of his career - to dispel any chance of this team wanting to move on.

This is just wrong, did everyone forget the implosion of 2008, final year of Mangini, with Favre? 8-3, top of conference to no playoffs? How does anything top that debacle? The Joe Walton years? Al Groh's only season? This team was shredded with injuries all year, this past year can't even compare to some of those other years.

Some of you have short term memories.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Implosion in decades? Ha! Better not stop with the QB then. Look along the sideline.
    I thought maybe you were just being naive, but now i'm beginning to see that's more of a case of ignorance.

Let me spell it out for you. It doesn't matter who, what, when and where. It just is. Sanchez mentally blew an ACL - Lattimore style. It's just a waiting game now.