Thread: Interesting walterfootball draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting walterfootball draft

The latest mock draft on walterfootball.com is interesting in that it goes offense for all of the first four rounds.

1. Patterson (WR)
    2. Barkely (QB)
    3. Escobar (TE)
    4. Ball (RB)

Now while this fails to address the needs at OLB and OG, it strikes me at interesting to contemplate that we could possibly end up with potential starters at all four of those positions this way (which also says a lot about the state of our offense).

I'm not a fan of Patterson in the 1st but the other 3 don't really bother me that much. Swap in your favorite OLB or OG in round 1 and what do you guys think of the rest?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    hate all 4 picks. Patterson is not a top 10 talent, Barkley is a no , don't know much about the te abs monte ball ran behind an all pro line and I'm not a fan

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at who was on the board when we were up for that mock draft I would have drafted like this.

1) Jarvis Jones - OLB
    2) DeAndre Hopkins - WR
    3) David Bakhtiari - OG/OT
    4) Joe Randle - RB
    5) Shawn Williams - S

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep I hate this rubbish lineup mock draft.

Prefer something like 1. jordan/ mingo/ ansah
    2. Warfard/Cooper/Lane etc any worthwhile OL.
    3. Jamarko the S
    4. Knile Davis if he lasts that long or Swopes white lightning
    5. Another passrusher/ Rb Barner
    6. OL/ WR/passrusher

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    hate all 4 picks. Patterson is not a top 10 talent, Barkley is a no , don't know much about the te abs monte ball ran behind an all pro line and I'm not a fan
    I see Curtis Martin type runner in Ball. And that isn't meant as a compliment. Martin was unique. .More like a poor mans Martin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Barkley fell that far I'd take it in a second. The rest does nothing for me but I'd be OK with it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Looking at who was on the board when we were up for that mock draft I would have drafted like this.

1) Jarvis Jones - OLB
    2) DeAndre Hopkins - WR
    3) David Bakhtiari - OG/OT
    4) Joe Randle - RB
    5) Shawn Williams - S
    Shawn Williams favorite color is blue. Leave him alone, Seriously i don't see how he slides to the 5th. I like the guy as a leader and a hitter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The perceived association & stigma between one USC Quarterback who's unravelled into a mess, and drafting another (who's a far cry from risk-free) is public/media/fan sh*t-storm no GM/Owner will entertain.

Don't care if they're different people.
    Don't care if they're different skillsets
    Don't care if they were coached by different staffs.
    Don't care if we need a quarterback...

Our new GM is NOT replacing a dysfunctional USC quarterback with another one. Wrap your minds around that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Patterson and Ball.....Barkley in the 2nd I could live with although prefer Manuel in that spot or Bray (maybe 3rd for him)

I really think Patterson is going to be a stud....A lot of people don't seem to think so but I watched him play a ton and he's a bonafide playmaker with a ridiculous ceiling....Not to mention he is a special teams beast.....Great SEC defense had a ton of trouble containing him, that means alot to me

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Shawn Williams favorite color is blue. Leave him alone, Seriously i don't see how he slides to the 5th. I like the guy as a leader and a hitter.
    Just going by who they had on their draft board.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yep I hate this rubbish lineup mock draft.

Prefer something like 1. jordan/ mingo/ ansah
    2. Warfard/Cooper/Lane etc any worthwhile OL.
    3. Jamarko the S
    4. Knile Davis if he lasts that long or Swopes white lightning
    5. Another passrusher/ Rb Barner
    6. OL/ WR/passrusher
    Very solid realistc draft (although you aren't finding an NFL quality pass rusher in the 6th round, maybe a decent special teams contributer)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of Patterson and he hasn't showed well at the combine. I'm warming up to EJ Manual at QB but hopefully in the 3rd round. I do like Ball in the 4th though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would cry if that's our draft

We would be drafting Hill, Sanchez and Greene all over again.

I like walterfootball alot, I even post there sometimes, but he isn't very good when it comes to the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I would cry if that's our draft

We would be drafting Hill, Sanchez and Greene all over again.

I like walterfootball alot, I even post there sometimes, but he isn't very good when it comes to the Jets.
    Who is?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Who is?
    Walter, the guy who does the site.

I rarely agree with his Jet assessments or draft pick predictions for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, me and walter often go back and forth a couple times over emails every draft season. It's all in good fun, but I have to take him aside and say, walt... the jets are not going in that direction, that i can assure you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Ya, me and walter often go back and forth a couple times over emails every draft season. It's all in good fun, but I have to take him aside and say, walt... the jets are not going in that direction, that i can assure you.
    lol good stuff Para, way to school em!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I may be reading this wrong, but I thought his "Who is?" was meant to be read as a sarcastic, rhetorical response to "he isn't very good when it comes to the Jets".

As far as this draft, there's something to be said about finally addressing offense, predominantly. And I'm not opposed to Barkley if the team likes him. A QB like him in the 2nd round won't hamstring an organization like swinging and missing in the first. There was a time that Barkley was top 5 guy....if the team has him rated that highly, I wouldn't mind going for it. It doesn't stop us from taking a top QB next year if that's what plays out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I may be reading this wrong, but I thought his "Who is?" was meant to be read as a sarcastic, rhetorical response to "he isn't very good when it comes to the Jets".

As far as this draft, there's something to be said about finally addressing offense, predominantly. And I'm not opposed to Barkley if the team likes him. A QB like him in the 2nd round won't hamstring an organization like swinging and missing in the first. There was a time that Barkley was top 5 guy....if the team has him rated that highly, I wouldn't mind going for it. It doesn't stop us from taking a top QB next year if that's what plays out.
    Nailed it Crash. I find most mock draft sites, even ones that have no real reason to dislike the Jets, have no idea what the team is about and tend to follow the party line laid down by ESPN and some of the awful beat writers. Things like giving us a lousy QB pick in the 2nd round because 'the fans will revolt if the Jets don't draft a QB here'.

Draftcoundown has us taking Glennon in the 2nd round because...and I quote... "Mark Sanchez is running out of chances and at the absolute least a reliable backup is needed.". So who the frak drafts a 'reliable backup QB' in the early 2nd round?

Even in this case, Walter says he gave us Patterson because he Tanny mocked it and W feels Tanny must still have some inside info. How retarded is that?

Personally, I don't give a rat's arse about the USC thing. From what I have seen and read (and I am no expert), I think Barkley is probably one of the top 3 prospects in this draft at QB and worth a gamble at 39 if the FO agrees.
    Last edited by nycdan; 03-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.