Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE TRADE FOR FLYNN OR FOLES!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What should we do instead?
    Anything but trades. I don't want to give up precious draft picks. We have a dearth of talent on the roster. We need all the live bodies we can get.

Look at any and all FA QBs and have an open competition. Maybe use a mid-round draft pick on a QB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    From what I saw of Foles, playing behind arguably " the worst Oline in the NFL"
    Last year, he made more plays under duress in less than 1 year than Sanchez has made in 4 years playing behind a much better Oline.
    I would love to see what Marty could do with Foles in his 2nd season of action.

The thing that impressed me from Foles was the way he kept his head up, & eyes down the field when he moved around, and he has a quick release & remains accurate after taking a few steps away from pressure.
    At least this is a well thought-out and supported response to why we should trade for Foles, as opposed to the knee-jerk "ooh let's get that guy he's thrown a touchdown before!!" comments from most. But...

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Anything but trades. I don't want to give up precious draft picks. We have a dearth of talent on the roster. We need all the live bodies we can get.

Look at any and all FA QBs and have an open competition. Maybe use a mid-round draft pick on a QB as well.
    I hope this is the way the team goes.

Can't afford Flynn and Foles only becomes an option if you trade Revis for multiple picks. Can't afford to send any more picks to any more teams.

But what is the difference if we draft a QB with a pick in any of round 2-5 or if we trade a 5th for flynn? Isnt that the same except that we dont need to develop a QB who may or may not have the talent to even be considered as a starter?

The only difference here is money, and given the particular "dearth of talent at QB", the value of the position, and the fact that its a 1 year option, flynn is a better risk-reward play.

I wouldn't take either over a draft pick we could get in the 3rd or even 4th this year. Anyone who thinks an overpaid Flynn or Foles can do better then guys like Matt Scott or Landry need to wake up. I'd rather not trade for someone elses mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I wouldn't take either over a draft pick we could get in the 3rd or even 4th this year. Anyone who thinks an overpaid Flynn or Foles can do better then guys like Matt Scott or Landry need to wake up. I'd rather not trade for someone elses mistakes.
    How is foles overpaid exactly?

I assume you mean landry jones, the QB who struggles with pressure? Seems perfect for our team?

Jets Insider VIP
    Flynn== UGH

Foles == even worse UGH

what's next?? trade for Ryan Lindley threads?

If the Jets can't sign Matt Moore as a FA, there is only one option --- go with Sanchez, McElroy, a mid round draftee and SImms or some other UDFA and wait until 14 when we can unload Sanchez and when there are QBs worth drafting coming out in the draft
    Last edited by sg3; 03-01-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post

With all do respect we would not be overpaying for Foles, since he is still on his rookie deal. I have watched all of Foles NFL snaps and was pretty impressed

How is foles overpaid exactly?

I assume you mean landry jones, the QB who struggles with pressure? Seems perfect for our team?
    I said Flynn was over paid.

Cmart - I agree that flynns body of work is small, but if you can watch some of the plays from his game against new england (the year before the detroit game that everyone talks about).

He is a mobile and accurate QB, which is exactly what we need. He took an absolute beating in the NE game, didnt back down, and most importantly, he continued to keep his eyes downfield and move in the pocket as the rush was coming.

For whatever reason, GB has a strong history of developing QBs which increases the odds (albeit it slightly) that flynn will be a player like hasselback.

Im not against foles, but Id have to guess the price is much higher for him as far as compensation we would need to give up.

Personally I think flynn can be had for a 5ht round pick (or even 6th) and while its a lot to pay him ($5.25), its a 1 year option, the NFL just "gave" everyone and extra $1.5+ million in cap room, and this is the most important position on the field....IMO worth a 1 year trial on this guy.
    Since we're on a 1 year trial, save the $$ and save the pick and see what Mornhenwig, how has a stong history of developing QBs, can do with Sanchez (or any other FA/cheap QB)...If Sanchez doesn't turn it around he's gone in '14..

Jets Insider VIP
    Signing either qb would ruining our chances at the #1 pick next year. The most important thing for our franchise right now is to secure that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Since we're on a 1 year trial, save the $$ and save the pick and see what Mornhenwig, how has a stong history of developing QBs, can do with Sanchez (or any other FA/cheap QB)...If Sanchez doesn't turn it around he's gone in '14..
    Im actually fine with that plan, its certainly better then winning 5 games with garrard

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Signing either qb would ruining our chances at the #1 pick next year. The most important thing for our franchise right now is to secure that pick.
    I like Clowney but would rather not be the worst team in the league to get him. No reason at all to think we end up with the #1 there are much worse team out there.

Hall Of Fame
    But what is the difference if we draft a QB with a pick in any of round 2-5 or if we trade a 5th for flynn? Isnt that the same except that we dont need to develop a QB who may or may not have the talent to even be considered as a starter?

The only difference here is money, and given the particular "dearth of talent at QB", the value of the position, and the fact that its a 1 year option, flynn is a better risk-reward play.
    If we can get Flynn for a 5th then that would definitely be a legit option that needs strong consideration regardless of the $$$

I think the price for Flynn or Foles is a 2nd or 3rd which is too much IMO.

If we can get Flynn for a 5th then that would definitely be a legit option that needs strong consideration regardless of the $$$

I think the price for Flynn or Foles is a 2nd or 3rd which is too much IMO.
    Agreed 100% - 5th its a smart move with a lot of upside

2nd - 3rd no way.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1

The first thing Rex did when he got the job was overdraft a QB and tie his success to that of Sanchez. If Idzik is smart, he will not make these hasty decisions. He should try to fix this team first instead of rushing into something. Let's get the money and cap situation a little healthier and take our time with the rebuild. Let's get the line in shape and add some skill players that need a year or two to develop and have them on board for a new QB. How about seeing if the MM system is going to work. Rex is going to be here for a year. If we do get a new head coach next year, I'd like to give that coach the opportunity to have input on the QB decision. Let's even give Sanchez one more shot to improve since he will be here anyway (yeah, I know...)

Let's give the Jets some distance from last year's atmosphere and get the team moving in the right direction. If we put the right system in place, we won't have to worry that our window is closing.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis-ed View Post
    Why wouldn't they do this? Both of these guys deserve a chance! Plus neither cost that much.
    The garbage is always greener on someone else's team... Yes Sanchez has sucked, but still has a better resume than those guys...

All Pro
    NO!

You want a QB? Go draft one....which the Jets should do in 2014...

It all depends on the draft pick cost. I would 100% for sure look into trading for either one of them, especially Foles.

If it was anything lower than a 3rd rounder I'd make the trade instantly.

Foles no thanks... He sucks.

FLynn is a bit interesting but that's as far as I go when describing him as a "Must Get."