Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE TRADE FOR FLYNN OR FOLES!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Foles no thanks... He sucks.

FLynn is a bit interesting but that's as far as I go when describing him as a "Must Get."
    Foles, a rookie, had games where he threw for 345, 381 yards last year. He also had two games where he had 32 completions. Sanchez has never in his career had 32 completions. This behind an atrocious and injured Philly oline.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Foles no thanks... He sucks.

FLynn is a bit interesting but that's as far as I go when describing him as a "Must Get."
    Foles, in 1 year, has completed more passes than Flynn has attempted in his career

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Foles, a rookie, had games where he threw for 345, 381 yards last year. He also had two games where he had 32 completions. Sanchez has never in his career had 32 completions. This behind an atrocious and injured Philly oline.
    Totaly different systems. Foles also threw 265 times in 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Both guys are STOP GAP solutions ... not a real solution. They will overpay if they get either.
    Neither should be treated as stop-gaps. Schneider and the Seattle coaching staff thought well enough of Flynn to give him that deal. Philbin wanted him but Miami diced around and low-balled him.

Foles looked good as a rookie completing more than 60% of his passes and more TDs than Int which is a good sign for a rookie. I didn't watch his games so I have no idea if he was completing dump offs when the eagles were down by 3 scores and the other team was just playing prevent. Or what his comp % was at 3rd and long. He did play behind a ****ty oline so playing behind this group would not come as a shock.

Foles would cost more in comp but less in salary and is signed for one more year. This gives the jets another year to evaluate him before committing to him. If they trade for Flynn and he plays like a middle of the pack QB, the jets will need to decide next offseason whether to extend him or let him go into his FA year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If the Jets pull the trigger on Foles that means that Mornhinwig liked what he saw in Foles. I trust an OC with a excellent track record over random Jets fans.

Also Deasean Jackson was out for those two games and in one game the Eagles had a total of 27 yards rushing (without Mccoy).

A deal would make a ton of sense, Jets need a QB and Foles does not even remotely fit Chip's system.

As for Flynn, i am indifferent. I am not a big fan of his and would not want to commit more than 1 year to him (don't want a Sanchez type contract problem with Flynn next year if he ends up sucking).

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If the Jets pull the trigger on Foles that means that Mornhinwig liked what he saw in Foles. I trust an OC with a excellent track record over random Jets fans.

Also Deasean Jackson was out for those two games and in one game the Eagles had a total of 27 yards rushing (without Mccoy).

A deal would make a ton of sense, Jets need a QB and Foles does not even remotely fit Chip's system.

As for Flynn, i am indifferent. I am not a big fan of his and would not want to commit more than 1 year to him (don't want a Sanchez type contract problem with Flynn next year if he ends up sucking).
    Bingo! IF IF the Jets want to spend a 2nd round pick on a QB, why not go with Foles as opposed to one from this draft...

Again, it's all primarily based on Mornhenwig's thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Totaly different systems. Foles also threw 265 times in 7 games.
    Yeah and who is our new OC? You don't get 32 completions in a game twice by accident if you are a rookie.

I watched at least two games with foles last year and he looked good for a rookie, he had some bad games as well but I'd rather get this guy if the cost is reasonable than draft a qb this year. In any case I would be surprised if Philly let him go. They have to no reason to just yet.
    Last edited by Beerfish; 03-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Both guys are STOP GAP solutions ... not a real solution. They will overpay if they get either.
    You would have said the same thing if the Jets had traded for Kaepernick last year or drafted Russel Wilson. Sure Foles is a question mark, but plenty of good NFL QBs were not high first round picks (Rodgers/Brees/Kaepernick/Wilson/Brady/Romo/Schaub/Dalton). Just because Foles went in the 3rd round does not make him a "STOP GAP."

The alternative is drafting one of this years "prospects" and hope he is capable of having a couple of 300 yard games in him, something we already know Foles can do in Mornhinwigs system. I rather use that pick to bring in Foles

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I said Flynn was over paid.
    Did you watch Flynn in the preseason? Yes Russell Wilson (already a Top 10 QB in the NFL) beat him out, but Flynn played very very well. It was what made the Seahawks decision so bold, Rex and probably every other coach in the NFL would have went with Flynn, but Carroll recognized how dynamic and special Wilson is. That said Flynn is better than Sanchez period and could become a Top 10 QB in the NFL himself.

You would have said the same thing if the Jets had traded for Kaepernick last year or drafted Russel Wilson. Sure Foles is a question mark, but plenty of good NFL QBs were not high first round picks (Rodgers/Brees/Kaepernick/Wilson/Brady/Romo/Schaub/Dalton). Just because Foles went in the 3rd round does not make him a "STOP GAP."

The alternative is drafting one of this years "prospects" and hope he is capable of having a couple of 300 yard games in him, something we already know Foles can do in Mornhinwigs system. I rather use that pick to bring in Foles
    No ... The alternative is sucking in 2013 for the no.1 pick in 2014 ... Logan Thomas ... AJ McCaron ?

Practice Squad
    Morninweg was Foles coordinator in Philly, he knows him more than anyone in the league besides Reid.

If Marty believes that Foles has what it takes to be successful in his offense it would be moronic not to give a 3rd for him and call him OUR project QB. Only difference is that his 3rd round pick would come with 1 year in the NFL already under his belt.

Contract is perfect because he is only in his second year of his rookie contract which is less than a million and in our cap situation that is a big bonus.

Foles doesn't fit Chip Kelly's offense at all so Chip wouldn't mind gaining a 3rd round pick and still grab Manuel from Florida State to compete with Vick and Dixon. And with the Chiefs trading for Alex Smith the only other viable trading partner for Philly is us.

This move makes perfect sense for both teams.

Again this is all based on what Marty thinks, if he likes Foles alot then make the move, if the move isn't made then Morninweg decided he wasn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Did you watch Flynn in the preseason? Yes Russell Wilson (already a Top 10 QB in the NFL) beat him out, but Flynn played very very well. It was what made the Seahawks decision so bold, Rex and probably every other coach in the NFL would have went with Flynn, but Carroll recognized how dynamic and special Wilson is. That said Flynn is better than Sanchez period and could become a Top 10 QB in the NFL himself.
    I agree, while it was preseason, flynn was very accurate which is what we need for MM's offense

No ... The alternative is sucking in 2013 for the no.1 pick in 2014 ... Logan Thomas ... AJ McCaron ?
    Really? that is who you think will go at the top of next years draft? Good thing you aren't the Jets GM.

Logan Thomas, while being a gifted athlete, was ATROCIOUS last year and barely completed 50% of his passes. Just because one site has them ranked as 1 and 2 on their prospect list means nothing (mainly because they only list seniors). Matt Barkley was supposed to be the first pick this year, he may not even go in the first round. There will be underclassmen like Manziel and Bridgewater going in the top 10.

Really? that is who you think will go at the top of next years draft? Good thing you aren't the Jets GM.

Logan Thomas, while being a gifted athlete, was ATROCIOUS last year and barely completed 50% of his passes. Just because one site has them ranked as 1 and 2 on their prospect list means nothing (mainly because they only list seniors). Matt Barkley was supposed to be the first pick this year, he may not even go in the first round. There will be underclassmen like Manziel and Bridgewater going in the top 10.
    Manziel?? You are on the Johnny football boat ??

Manziel?? You are on the Johnny football boat ??
    No, i am not a fan, but there is a better chance that he goes in the top 5 than Logan Thomas or AJ Mccaron.

Undrafted Free Agent
    The only thing that gives me pause when considering a trade for Foles is this. Andy Reid just landed the gig in KC and could have probably traded for Foles for a lot less than what they gave up to get Alex Smith.....why?

No, i am not a fan, but there is a better chance that he goes in the top 5 than Logan Thomas or AJ Mccaron.
    Fair enough ... But you get my point ... Don't hamstring the potential of drafting a prospect by paying to much for a Backup QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff144man View Post
    The only thing that gives me pause when considering a trade for Foles is this. Andy Reid just landed the gig in KC and could have probably traded for Foles for a lot less than what they gave up to get Alex Smith.....why?
    More of a finished product..Can step right in and produce

Fair enough ... But you get my point ... Don't hamstring the potential of drafting a prospect by paying to much for a Backup QB.
    Can you explain how paying a 5th round pick and cash/salary cap space in 2013 inhibits us from drafting a QB in 2014.

Thanks

I think we agree, that it would be an awful idea to give up our first rounder next year for a middling QB (Flynn types) or that we bring in a guy like Moore and give him a guaranteed 3 year contract.

But, I am not ready to throw in the towel for this coming year. Lets bring in Foles (maybe for a 3rd this year and a conditonal pick next year) and if he turns out to be great and we win 10 games, great. If he sucks, and we go 2-14, we will get out franchise QB in the next draft. Some of you are acting like we just close up shop before the season starts. If thats the case, lets just make up fake injuries for Mangold/Dbrick/Coples/Wilkerson/Cro etc.. instead of risking serious injury to any of them in a season we aren't attempting to do well in.