Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has a 2nd round qb other than Brees or favre worked out?

Has a 2nd round qb other than Brees or favre worked out?

With the thought of taking a qb in the 2nd round looking like a realistic option, I was wondering. Does anyone remember a 2nd round qb other than brees or favre that worked out well for a team? It seems like either you get a sure fire first round guy or you get surprises later in the draft. 2nd round qbs tend to be what you thought they were, a guy with great talent that can't seem to stack up for other reasons. I just don't really remember many that worked out. Can anyone think of any examples?

kellen clemens. duh.

Kaepernick and Dalton are the best out there in the last 5-10 years...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Think Montana was a 3rd

(Almost fits)

Ljr

How far to do you want to go back?

Dalton
    Kapernick
    Brees
    Favre
    Boomer Esiason
    Randall Cunningham
    Ron Jaworksi
    Ken Stabler.

Bart Starr was picked in the 17th round.
    Johnny Unitas was picked in the 9th round.
    Joe Capp in the 18th round.

Another thing to consider, in the last 5 years, 15 QBs were selected in rd. 1 vs just 7 QBs selected in round 2.

With that, although no blue chip propsects, this is an extremely deep qb draft... You might get a guy in rd. 4-5 who would normally be a rd. 2-3 guy.

Or pick up an undrafted Rookie FA who would normally get drafted in rd. 4-5....

A lot of depth IMO.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 03-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.

All League
    Browning fokking Nagle

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Browning fokking Nagle
    nice. but he had a great opening day at atl.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    nice. but he had a great opening day at atl.
    Nagle went to my brothers' alma mater Louisville. I remember him telling me that there's a great QB at Louisville who can throw a ball through the goalpost from his knees on the 50 yard line. Specifically he said "We have to get him in Green"

Yeah, we got em. A pick after Atl took Favre.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nagle went to my brothers' alma mater Louisville. I remember him telling me that there's a great QB at Louisville who can throw a ball through the goalpost from his knees on the 50 yard line. Specifically he said "We have to get him in Green"

Yeah, we got em. A pick after Atl took Favre.
    Without Holmgren, I don't think any of us would know Favre today.

Mangini was the goodest drafter ever.

Browning fokking Nagle
    Was a POS qb

The days of teams taking guys like Batch, Plummer, and Banks in the 2nd to start seem so long ago. You just don't see a lot of teams drafting a 2nd round QB anymore and expecting them to be starters.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How far to do you want to go back?

Dalton
    Kapernick
    Brees
    Favre
    Boomer Esiason
    Randall Cunningham
    Ron Jaworksi
    Ken Stabler.

Bart Starr was picked in the 17th round.
    Johnny Unitas was picked in the 9th round.
    Joe Capp in the 18th round.
    But we don't have our 17th round pick any more.

F'n Tanny!

Veteran
    Schaub

q.b. in the second round

the draft is a guessing game.whether it is the second,third,fourth etc.will not be a sure thing this year.these are young kids.some will mature as they gain experience.others will never mature as q.b.s.I doubt that the jets will waste a draft pick on a q.b. this year.rebuilding the offensive line is of the utmost importance.

All League
    Not one person named Brady yet. Are we counting the ghey?

@gregcosell: From what I've studied so far this QB class has concerns. Does not mean no one will develop into quality starter but serious questions.

@gregcosell: I try to determine what can be coached + what can't when I watch QB (or any position). It's a difficult balancing act but it's essential.

@gregcosell: Asked about Barkley/Dalton comparison. Had highly respected exec. tell me Dalton was 10 in every category exc arm strength. There he was a 4

@gregcosell: We're all so quick to judge QB. All you can do is evaluate what you see + then project and transition. But think attributes + traits.

@gregcosell: What makes QB evaluation so fascinating is that different people focus on different things. Think about why QBs are good in the NFL.

@gregcosell: Asked about Bray. Obvious arm talent. Concerns are very loose + undisciplined in pocket. Efficiency drops dramatically in muddied pocket.

@gregcosell: I'm always leery of QB who has hard time with bodies around him. Have to make those throws in NFL. Bray really struggled with that.

@gregcosell: Another concern with Bray is functional mobility. Stiff in his movement. Don't have to be a runner but must avoid + reset. Didn't see that.

@gregcosell: Different QBs have those traits in varying + distinctive degrees but those attributes are necessary. Can't play at high level without them.

@gregcosell: I've seen Barkley throw more than 250 passes. He does not drive the ball. His intermediate + deeper throws lose energy on the back end.

@gregcosell: Lack of arm strength means he must be outstanding in other traits, like timing, anticipation, accuracy, pocket movement, etc. Inconsistent.

@gregcosell: For those new to following me, I don't deal with hype. And I've been wrong, believe me. But it's hard to overcome arm strength limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    The days of teams taking guys like Batch, Plummer, and Banks in the 2nd to start seem so long ago. You just don't see a lot of teams drafting a 2nd round QB anymore and expecting them to be starters.
    The Dolphins have been trying to draft QB's in the 2nd for decades