Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Flacco is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You always take care of your franchise QB and then worry about all the other pieces of the puzzle.

Ravens will have a quality QB for the next 10 years.
    Yeah, the Cards were thinking the same when they gave up everything they had for Kolb. Worked out wonderfully, did it not? Very smart.

First you have to IDENTIFY the franchise QB before you spend everything you have on him. And if Flacco is a franchise QB then you have to invent a new tag for guys like Brees, Peyton and company. Guys that don't need an elite defense to win games.

The Ravens haven't had a quality QB the past 5 years, so what are you even talking about "next 10 years". Newsflash: The Ravens and 49ers have something in common, they both have an elite defense. They both don't have great QB's. They both kicked out other great QB's (so called franchise guys). You don't make any sense. Spending everything you have on a QB and then worry about the rest doesn't win you anything. Unless maybe the guy throws 60 touchdowns and 5 picks per year. Maybe then he's worth it. But Flacco wasn't even more productive than let's say Alex Smith if you look at the numbers. And he could be had for 1/4 of what Flacco costs now. You're not that smart, I know that much. We all do actually. We have, for the last decade.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Yeah, the Cards were thinking the same when they gave up everything they had for Kolb. Worked out wonderfully, did it not? Very smart.

First you have to IDENTIFY the franchise QB before you spend everything you have on him. And if Flacco is a franchise QB then you have to invent a new tag for guys like Brees, Peyton and company. Guys that don't need an elite defense to win games.

The Ravens haven't had a quality QB the past 5 years, so what are you even talking about "next 10 years". Newsflash: The Ravens and 49ers have something in common, they both have an elite defense. They both don't have great QB's. They both kicked out other great QB's (so called franchise guys). You don't make any sense. Spending everything you have on a QB and then worry about the rest doesn't win you anything. Unless maybe the guy throws 60 touchdowns and 5 picks per year. Maybe then he's worth it. But Flacco wasn't even more productive than let's say Alex Smith if you look at the numbers. And he could be had for 1/4 of what Flacco costs now. You're not that smart, I know that much. We all do actually. We have, for the last decade.
    This could be the dumbest post that I ever read.

You compare Flacco to Kolb and Alex Smith?

This could be the dumbest post that I ever read.

You compare Flacco to Kolb and Alex Smith?
    Not much I agree with you on and I don't know if this is your opinion just to be lame and disagree with everyone as usual but the position you have to pay money if you have a superstar is QB. Yes, Flacco is a superstar now.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 03-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Just because he beat a ****ty Colts defense, completing about 50% of his passes, got lucky throwing a bomb that should have been picked vs Denver (again completed about 50%), beat one of the worst defenses in the league in the Pats and then beat a SF team that gave up 41 points and 42 points to Seattle and NE in the last 3 weeks of the season and a team that allowed 31 and 24 points in playoff games, doesn't make Flacco a superstar...
    Tom Brady wouldn't have won his first SB if it wasn't for the refs kissing his ass in the forward pass game. Eli doesn't win the '07 SB if David Tyree does catch the ball with his facemask and Samuel held onto a pick in the 4th qtr. Luck always plays role.

Amazing how JIers can overrate people like Matthew Stafford and Alex Smith but Joe Flacco who is way better than either of those two and won a Super Bowl he's overated.

All Pro
    5 years from now, Flacco's contract will look like chump change.

Do I believe Flacco is a top 3 QB in the NFL? No.

But he is a franchise QB that the Ravens can build around for years to come.
    Except they won't have any money to do so. So much for the Ravens being the best run franchise and Ozzie the best GM in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Not much I agree with you on and I don't know if this is your opinion just to be lame and disagree with everyone as usual but the position you have to pay money if you have a superstar is QB.

QBR 46.8 (17th)
    Quarterback Rating: 87.7 (14th)
    Passing Yards: 3817 (14th)
    DYAR: 354 (17th)
    DVOA: -1.4% (17th)
    WPA: 2.44 (12th)

1 Super Bowl win

PAY THIS MAN MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Tom Brady wouldn't have won his first SB if it wasn't for the refs kissing his ass in the forward pass game. Eli doesn't win the '07 SB if David Tyree does catch the ball with his facemask and Samuel held onto a pick in the 4th qtr. Luck always plays a role.

Amazing how JIers can overrate people like Matthew Stafford and Alex Smith but Joe Flacco who is way better than either of those two and won a Super Bowl he's overated.
    In the regular season Eli could have been called for being in the grasp of Pat defenders..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Except they won't have any money to do so. So much for the Ravens being the best run franchise and Ozzie the best GM in the league.
    Sure they will.

In year 3 or 4, Flacco will do a Brady-like restructure to free up money.

Tom Brady wouldn't have won his first SB if it wasn't for the refs kissing his ass in the forward pass game. Eli doesn't win the '07 SB if David Tyree does catch the ball with his facemask and Samuel held onto a pick in the 4th qtr. Luck always plays role.

The premise of this thread or at least somewhere it evolved that Flacco was a top 5 QB, ahead of Brees. I'm not saying he's terrible, just not at that level.

If you disagree, that's fine, but I don't think it's crazy to think Brees is better.

I would not have paid Flacco this. I would have tagged him with the non exclusive and too my chances.

Banned
    The premise of this thread or at least somewhere it evolved that Flacco was a top 5 QB, ahead of Brees. I'm not saying he's terrible, just not at that level.

If you disagree, that's fine, but I don't think it's crazy to think Brees is better.
    Brady
    Rodgers
    P. Manning
    Brees
    Big Ben
    Flacco

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post

QBR 46.8 (17th)
    Quarterback Rating: 87.7 (14th)
    Passing Yards: 3817 (14th)
    DYAR: 354 (17th)
    DVOA: -1.4% (17th)
    WPA: 2.44 (12th)

1 Super Bowl win

PAY THIS MAN MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.
    Total mediocrity. Insanity!

How is Flacco not on that level? He just won a Super Bowl in which he beat Manning, Brees and the best defense in a 3-game stretch? And don't give me "well suckchez almost did the same thing" the Jets had a better defense in 2010 than the Ravens did this yr and I am nowhere near as down on Sanchez as 99.9% of this board.

Too many 20 year old Jets fans paying attention to fantasy football stats. No disrespect to Brees but put Flacco in Payton's system with Graham, Colston and at least 10 games per season in a dome and he'd put up pretty fantasy stats too.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 03-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Last year you would have written the same post replacing "Flacco" with "Eli." Nobody wanted anyone but Eli as their QB, now no one wants anyone but Flacco. Imagine if Eli had signed this contract after that season, only to miss the playoffs with their $20 million dollar man. It's a massive, massive discrepancy in price vs. expected production. Flacco certainly deserved and earned a nice fat contract, but the biggest ever? LOL inflated QB market.
    I would gladly take either of them. Eli and Flacco have a lot in common with regards to their personalities and how they handle adversity. Eli has won 2 SBs and has been the MVP twice. Only idiots would knock Eli for not making the playoffs. Eli is a proven commodity now.

Again, the contract is a reflection of the circumstances. Flacco was in the perfect situation to get a huge payday. He had the Ravens by the balls. The best players don't always make the most money. It is what it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Brady
    Rodgers
    P. Manning
    Brees
    Big Ben
    Flacco
    I would put Eli ahead of Big Ben and Flacco. But I don't lump them all together anyways, I put them in tiers. Each tier in no particular order. I would consider the top two rows "elite".

Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, Brees.
    Eli, Big Ben
    Flacco
    Ryan

Jets Insider VIP

WHY ARE YOU APOLOGIZING!!!

You are correct!!

Folks are insane with who is the latest that is all....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would put Eli ahead of Big Ben and Flacco. But I don't lump them all together anyways, I put them in tiers. Each tier in no particular order. I would consider the top two rows "elite".

Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, Brees.
    Eli, Big Ben
    Flacco
    Ryan
    Yea, now that I think about it, you are probably right.

All Pro
    Sure they will.

In year 3 or 4, Flacco will do a Brady-like restructure to free up money.
    Watch Anquan Boldin walk because they won't be able to afford him, then who will he throw his Hail Mary's that no one else can catch and wrestle down to?

Banned
    Watch Anquan Boldin walk because they won't be able to afford him, then who will he throw his Hail Mary's that no one else can catch and wrestle down to?
    Maybe the Ravens will sign Holmes.

Hall Of Fame
    To the same guys he does now. Jones and Smith.

Boldin was more of his "security blanket". If they lose him then Flacco will rely more on Pitta who is emerging as a very good TE.

Smith, Pitta, Jones, Rice. Pretty good weapons if you ask me.