Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    6 years in excess of 120 mill

-per Schefter
    And I don't even know if he is a top 10 QB, lol

Comically absurd

Winning the SB is not going to make Flacco a better player. It didn't make Eli a better player last year. People always want to transform the SB winning QB into an elite player even when he isn't. If a player were elite, he'd be elite in the regular season, which is a larger sample size.

Flacco next year will throw his typical 21-25 TDs, 60% completion, 3,500-3,800 yards. In the regular season, he will not be one of the top 10 QBs in football. He never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Are you sure?

In 2010 he was statistically better outdoors, in 2011 he averaged 369 yards/game outdoors and in 2012 he was actually better outdoors too.

Situation G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
    Outdoors 5 101.6 129 188 68.6 1350 270.0 7.2 12 4
    Indoors 11 86.6 319 470 67.9 3270 297.3 7.0 21 18

Outdoors 5 95.7 160 230 69.6 1849 369.8 8.0 9 6
    Indoors 11 118.7 308 427 72.1 3627 329.7 8.5 37 8

Outdoors 7 99.1 198 305 64.9 2380 340.0. 7.8 17 6
    Indoors 9 94.1 224 365 61.4 2797 310.8 7.7 26 13

In 2008 and 2009 he was better indoors, but then in 2007 he was much better outdoors... Overall he's just a fantastic qb regardless of where he plays.
    Thanks for straightening that ill informed "authority" out.

Back to the thread, good for Flacco but it's going to be very hard for the Ravens to repeat with him taking up so much cap room God forbids he gets injured.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Winning the SB is not going to make Flacco a better player. It didn't make Eli a better player last year. People always want to transform the SB winning QB into an elite player even when he isn't. If a player were elite, he'd be elite in the regular season, which is a larger sample size.

Flacco next year will throw his typical 21-25 TDs, 60% completion, 3,500-3,800 yards. In the regular season, he will not be one of the top 10 QBs in football. He never has been.
    THIS. Flacco picked a great time for an excellent postseason run. The Ravens pretty much had to cave in to his demands despite him not being worth even close to that contract. Flacco being the highest paid player in the NFL is just hilarious. Good luck keeping that defense elite with that much cap space getting swallowed up.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    whats gotta piss you off is the fact that joe flacco was a local kid in our backyard who the jets decided they werent interested in and chose the usc douche instead.

FYI~ Flacco was drafted in 2008 and Sanchez is 2009

My sentiments exactly.

I'm all for players getting as much money as possible, but no way does Flacco deserve to be the highest paid player in NFL history. He's not even a Top 5 QB.

People let his postseason run influence their decisions. Cool he was great in the postseason, I wont take that away from him. But in the regular season, he had so many ups and downs.

This was a mistake by Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Flacco is a young qb who carried his team on his back to a super bowl title. He deserves every penny. Great move by the ravens.
    This logic is exactly why teams get locked in bad, long-term contracts.... The Ravens don't owe anything to Flacco, he will never live up this contract. They will be lucky to get another Super Bowl out of him

How much of flacco's contract is guaranteed ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    And I don't even know if he is a top 10 QB, lol

Comically absurd
    +1

Mark Sanchez is a bargain now. Tanny knew what he was doing.

SAR I

Flacco is a young qb who carried his team on his back to a super bowl title. He deserves every penny. Great move by the ravens.
    Yes, I'm sure throwing at wide open receivers/Boldin was so hard.

Please. His receivers being constantly open and making huge plays got them the Lombardi. Joe obviously helped, of course, but he didn't carry anyone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hardly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    whats gotta piss you off is the fact that joe flacco was a local kid in our backyard who the jets decided they werent interested in and chose the usc douche instead.
    Flacco was drafted in 2008, Sanchez in 2009. In 08 they had Favre. Really not sure how you expect this to have been reconciled.

Just wait until what Rodgers will be getting with his upcoming contract extension. $75M guaranteed at 22/per for 8 years? Matty Ice is almost certain to snag himself a "$100M" contract as well in the near future. At some point the QB market will deflate, but for right now the absurd is probably going to get more absurd.

My best guess for Rodgers contract if he's ruthless:

5 years, 170 million, 125 guaranteed

Flacco did a nice job in the Superbowl, but what happens when he turns into just "Joe Flacco" again? Baltimore will be choking on that contract for a long time when that happens.

My best guess for Rodgers contract if he's ruthless:

5 years, 170 million, 125 guaranteed

Now we're just going overboard. That's fiscally impracticable. I think Rodgers is more likely to take a "team-friendly" deal that brings him around Flacco's numbers, perhaps just a bit more.

The scary part is what happens to QB contracts with the new crop of young pups already performing at high levels. As I said I think the market will eventually deflate once some of these contracts start severely underperforming, but it's scary to think. Flag football may be much, much closer than we realize.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 03-02-2013 at 02:29 AM.

He was 15th in TD's last year, and 25th in INT's. He's generally good for around 20 to 25 TD's and 10 to 12 INT's each year. Those are GOOD stats, but not great. I would say that Flacco is no better than Tony Romo or Andy Dalton, and not nearly as good as Ben Roethlisberger.

The Top 5 QB's last season were:

Drew Brees : 43TD's/19 INT's
    Aaron Rogers: 39 TD's/ 8 INT's
    Peyton Manning: 37 TD's/ 11 INT's
    Tom Brady: 34 TD's/ 8 INT's
    Matt Ryan: 32 TD's/ 14 INT's

You can't mention Joe Flacco in the same breath as any of these quarterbacks. He's incredibly overpaid just for winning a Superbowl and being the MVP. Baltimore will regret this contract in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    He was 15th in TD's last year, and 25th in INT's. He's generally good for around 20 to 25 TD's and 10 to 12 INT's each year. Those are GOOD stats, but not great. I would say that Flacco is no better than Tony Romo or Andy Dalton, and not nearly as good as Ben Roethlisberger.

The Top 5 QB's last season were:

Drew Brees : 43TD's/19 INT's
    Aaron Rogers: 39 TD's/ 8 INT's
    Peyton Manning: 37 TD's/ 11 INT's
    Tom Brady: 34 TD's/ 8 INT's
    Matt Ryan: 32 TD's/ 14 INT's

You can't mention Joe Flacco in the same breath as any of these quarterbacks. He's incredibly overpaid just for winning a Superbowl and being the MVP. Baltimore will regret this contract in the very near future.

Superbowl MVP is one of the dumbest awards in sports. At least in a World Series or NBA Finals, the MVP award accounts for a dominant performance over a multitude of games. Super Bowl MVP goes to either the QB of the winning team or a guy who makes a deciding play in one single game. Holmes makes one catch and he's the Super Bowl MVP, Mr. Clutch. Guess what, Deion Branch was also a Super Bowl MVP - sounds pretty meaningless when attached to his name, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Superbowl MVP is one of the dumbest awards in sports. At least in a World Series or NBA Finals, the MVP award accounts for a dominant performance over a multitude of games. Super Bowl MVP goes to either the QB of the winning team or a guy who makes a deciding play in one single game. Holmes makes one catch and he's the Super Bowl MVP, Mr. Clutch. Guess what, Deion Branch was also a Super Bowl MVP - sounds pretty meaningless when attached to his name, doesn't it?
    It's crazy... I mean to pay Joe Flacco that kind of money? JOE FLACCO? He's a good solid QB but he's not top tier by any means. Would you say he's as good as Jay Cutler? Hmm... maybe about the same, but I would probably take Jay Cutler over him if the chips were down.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    It's crazy... I mean to pay Joe Flacco that kind of money? JOE FLACCO? He's a good solid QB but he's not top tier by any means. Would you say he's as good as Jay Cutler? Hmm... maybe about the same, but I would probably take Jay Cutler over him if the chips were down.
    The Lombardi is an uber-exclusive club. You win, and you're in. The hero-worship that automatically gets applied to any QB who snags himself a ring doesn't, however, accurately align with the realities of team-building for long-term competitiveness (and henceforth, Lombardi-winning likelihood) in the league. This is a super-competitive, copycat yet constantly evolving league. Every year seems drastically different than the last nowadays in terms of who and what wins.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 03-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.