Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know of any great current flat screen deals?

Jets Insider VIP
    How far is your couch from the screen?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Nice. I do all of my online electronics shopping at Ira's of North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Wait what?

Abe's of Maine? Please explain.
    Starting to get confused....

Never heard of Abe's of Maine, but thought Ira's of North Dakota sounded like a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I almost just spit out my bagel. The choice of 'Ira' was perfect.
    OK... Now this feels like a setup

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    you should have just left it alone....it was a LOLz worthy post.

Dont feel as if you must explain it to the rubes.

It's Comedy 101.

and I don't get it

Hall Of Fame
    Abe's of Maine is actually pretty well known for those who follow the deal sites like slickdeals or fatwallet.

Interesting to watch the Hanger faithful initially close ranks only to find themselves quickly overcome by the natural forces of repulsion that exist. Vitriol baby!

As an aside, do we have a bingo here?

http://siouxcityjournal.com/places/i...126166323.html

Plasma

I would definitely go with Plasma. I just bought a Panasonic ST-50 (think that is the model number), and am very very happy with it.
    The colors are absolutely beautiful!!! Such a colorful and clear picture. My parents have an LG LCD or LED, and I find the picture is very flat compared with the plasma. The colors are also not as defined, and almost seems they are not actually real colors. Don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful picture, but to me plasma is richer with the colors.
    Happy shopping!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Monitor slickdeals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    a Panasonic Plasma is a lot of bang for the buck. If you dont need a ton of inputs and you don't have a bright room, then a ut50 in particular once you customize the setup will give satisfying results at a very affordable price. It lacks the aggressive louver filter that is found in upscale Panasonic Plasma's which is actually a good thing.

I picked up a 50" (also have a 55") for $549 shipped/no tax from Amazon about a month ago. They price matched Frys...

Check slickdeals.net, here's a couple of nice LG LED's...

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8984...m4700-soundbar

Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any tv these days.
    I prefer to avoid the latest technology, "best" as tv technology is booming and in 2 years the new base $500 models will be better than the one you bought now for $2500.

Reminds me of what happened with computers...
    +1, good advice.

I just picked up a Samsung 46" LED 7 Series from PC Richard for an auction, ran me ~$1200.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    How far is your couch from the screen?
    This meme is now second page material? Wow, how the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Wait what?

Abe's of Maine? Please explain.
    good retailer, but I still think B&H is the best. 30 years of buying photography and electronics from them and always the best or near best deal with the best customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I almost just spit out my bagel. The choice of 'Ira' was perfect.
    Isn't he a frequent call in to WFAN? "Ira from North Dakota on line 2 Mike"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdownjets View Post
    I would definitely go with Plasma. I just bought a Panasonic ST-50 (think that is the model number), and am very very happy with it.
    The colors are absolutely beautiful!!! Such a colorful and clear picture. My parents have an LG LCD or LED, and I find the picture is very flat compared with the plasma. The colors are also not as defined, and almost seems they are not actually real colors. Don't get me wrong, it is still a beautiful picture, but to me plasma is richer with the colors.
    Happy shopping!!!
    I will be replacing all of the TVs from a house fire in a few months and I will be going with Panasonic Plasma on the two centerpiece TV's and then probably picking up 40-inch LCDs elsewhere.

For the snobs who want to argue about angels dancing on the head of a pin, CNET is a reliable and unbiased review site.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

Even the top of the list item can be picked up for ($1300 -$1700) in the 50 inch size or around $2300 in the 65 inch version

For those of us who used to argue about the whole plasma vs LCD/LED thing, errmmm... I believe that I was massively correct on pretty much all of this stuff.

Both Plasma and LCDs have all but eliminated the glaring weaknesses in the early generations of each those technologies. Any purchase made today will be a fine television set. With either technology you can buy a $500 TV today that is superior in almost every measurable degree to a $3000 set from a just five years ago.

My own opinion is that the whole 3D thing is a gimmick and the only value to the sets from a few years ago with 3D capability was that their introduction caused the older non-3D versions to drop in price.

Plasma TVs are not too heavy any more. They do not have burn in issues. Power consumption is higher but the cost difference is negligible over the life of the unit. LCDs no longer have the refresh rate and ghosting issues that plagued early versions of that technology. Both technologies come in very thin units which weigh far less than older generations.

Personally I would stick to a "name" manufacturer. I would limit my own selections to Samsung, Panasonic, LG or <cringe> Sony. Not that Toshiba, Sharp, Vizio or others are bad sets but I think the price premium on the name brands is very thin nowadays so why not pay a couple of extra bucks for a Samsung?

Most people who think they are buying an LED today are really buying an LCD with LED back lighting. True LED TVs (OLED) are only now coming to market this year and those sets will remain very expensive for the next few years. The quality of OLED displays literally blows away either LCD or Plasma and so I would say any purchase today should be made with the idea in mind that you might want upgrade to OLED in 5 years or so once those become dirt cheap.

Ten years from now we will all likely be watching OLED displays that have been printed onto paper-thin flexible plastic sheeting and then pasted onto an entire wall. The technology already exists. It is simply a matter or figuring out the manufacturing challenges.

• fatwallet and slickdeals are your friends! This cannot be stressed often enough.
    • Never ever ever buy monster cables or anything from Bose audio equipment as you will be massively overpaying for marginal quality.
    • Never buy an extended warranty in a store! Pick up a square trade warranty on the WEB (again, check fatwallet for details).
    • monoprice.com is hands down the best site on the web for any cables or interconnects that you may need. In fact the three websites mentioned here together with CNET for reviews are worthy bookmarks in anyone's browser.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Nice. I do all of my online electronics shopping at Ira's of North Dakota.
    lol... lest we not forget Moishe's of Montana..now that dude has some deals!

BTW since when is $2200. a great deal for a 60" TV?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    lol... lest we not forget Moishe's of Montana..now that dude has some deals!

BTW since when is $2200. a great deal for a 60" TV?
    Do yourself a favor and do some research on this one if it fits your budget. You won't be sorry. I got it on sale 2 months ago for $1700. Not sure why the price went back up.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...panasonic+vt50

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35118304.html

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I just won a company insentive and brought home a 48 inch LED. The good news it was free, the bad news is I dont see colors so good (color blind).

Sooo... meh?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    I just won a company insentive and brought home a 48 inch LED. The good news it was free, the bad news is I dont see colors so good (color blind).

Sooo... meh?
    I share your color-challenged pain. Went to the eye doctor last month, flipped through the Ishihara test and she laughed at me. Complete fail. Diagnosed at age 6 and it's gotten worse almost every year.

I've been keeping my eye on the prices for a particular Samsung 55 inch LED TV and the price just dropped to $1100 at Amazon. The best I say previously was $1087 on Cyber Monday. I may have to bite...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES...s=samsung+6100

As others have alluded to Panasonic plasmas are hands down the best value in televisions. If you can deal with the slight issues of them being a little heavier and not quite as good in a very sun lit room you'll be getting a picture that rivals the best of the best with amazing black levels. Just got this for my parents.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00752...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Whatever you decide check the CNET review for custom settings and just copy their suggested ones for your model as defaults are blown out and ****ty.

If sun is usually shining directly on the screen I'd go lcd/led though.

Edit: Also has WiFi and one touch Netflix/Amazon Prime etc built in which is way simpler for my parents than having to go through a PS3 or something and switching inputs etc.
    Last edited by Carlton; 03-13-2013 at 10:50 AM.

I share your color-challenged pain. Went to the eye doctor last month, flipped through the Ishihara test and she laughed at me. Complete fail. Diagnosed at age 6 and it's gotten worse almost every year.
    So you thought the red robe was pink and still rocked it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    In the market for a 42" and 55" inch LCD.

I know many of you are always on top of this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    I bought my son his own 40" last Christmas: Visio from Walmart. Just under $500. Great as a standalone, but not for a home theater setup.