Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glauber: Keyshawn Johnson's advice to Jets: Trade Darrelle Revis

Glauber: Keyshawn Johnson's advice to Jets: Trade Darrelle Revis

Keyshawn Johnson's advice to the Jets is simple, straightforward and perfectly logical: It's time to trade Darrelle Revis.

Johnson himself has been down this road before.

Revis, facing an uncertain future with the Jets because of impending contract issues and his continuing recovery from reconstructive knee surgery, has been the subject of controversy, something Johnson understands well.

"I think it's a smart move if they do move him and get value," the former Jets receiver said. "He's not going to win any games for you. He's a defensive back who will shut down the [opponents'] top receiver, but the ball is not in his hands. The Jets need more than a top corner. They need some pieces. If he gives them the value to get those pieces, then move him."

Johnson said he believes the Jets have far too many holes at other positions -- especially quarterback -- and will not be a contending team this year. So why not get something for their best player, especially given that his contract is set to expire after next season and the Jets don't have the franchise tag to keep him for at least the 2014 season, if not longer.

"It's not that the Jets don't want him," said Johnson, now an ESPN analyst.

"It's the right thing to do to build the team. He's the top corner. He's the guy. But [the Jets] need a quarterback, running back, wide receivers, other defensive backs. [A trade] gives them that opportunity to fill some of those holes. If they keep Revis, what else do they have? Not much. They're in a division against the Patriots, and other teams in the AFC are improving."

Johnson is especially troubled by the Jets' quarterback situation, with incumbent Mark Sanchez set to return. The team also has backup Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow still is on the roster, although he is expected to be released.

The Jets met this past week with veteran David Garrard, who has not played the last two years because of injuries. There's also a chance they will draft a quarterback next month.

"It's a bad football team, and the quarterback doesn't know if he's coming or going," Johnson said of Sanchez. "One minute, he wants to be Hollywood. The next, he wants to be a quarterback. Can't do both, son."

Johnson himself was involved in a controversial trade shortly before the 2000 draft, so he knows what Revis is going through. The Jets' No. 1 overall pick in 1996, Johnson wanted a new contract that year, but the Jets opted to trade him to Tampa Bay in exchange for two first-round picks.

The Jets used the picks to draft defensive end Shaun Ellis, a fixture on their defense until two years ago, and tight end Anthony Becht, who did not emerge as a dynamic player in his five seasons with the Jets. The Jets also drafted quarterback Chad Pennington and defensive end John Abraham in the first round that year.

If there's a similar deal for Revis, Johnson says the Jets should take it in a New York minute.

"Absolutely," he said. "Get something of value for him. Two No. 1s is hard to get for a non-quarterback. You've got to find a real sucker. But if you do, then take it. And the Jets can't afford to dangle him out there, bark and don't bite. If they do that [and don't trade Revis], then you're going to have a player that's [ticked] at you playing this season."

As for his own trade in 2000, Johnson contends the Jets were wrong to deal him because the circumstances were far different than they are today.

The Jets, who had reached the AFC Championship Game after the 1998 season, went 8-8 in 1999 after quarterback Vinny Testaverde suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in the opener. Testaverde was back in the lineup for 2000, when the Jets went 9-7 in Al Groh's only season as their coach (he left to coach Virginia after the season).

"I was the heartbeat and the soul of the team," said Johnson, who played for the Super Bowl champion Buccaneers in 2002. "I was the personality of the team. I was productive. We had the pieces. We didn't need anything else. All we needed was a healthy Vinny Testaverde. It was the wrong move. The offense didn't look the same when I left. It was pretty much Curtis Martin and a hodgepodge. I wouldn't have done it if I were the GM."

And if the Jets had been in a similar situation in 2000 as they are now, would the Keyshawn trade have made sense?

"No quarterback, no running game, no playoffs? Yes, that would have been a great decision," Johnson said. "But that wasn't the case. We had players. We had Pro Bowlers. We had a good team."

The Jets' general manager at the time was former coach Bill Parcells. And guess who negotiated Johnson's contract -- an eight-year, $56-million deal -- with the Bucs?

John Idzik, now the Jets' general manager.

"When you see him, tell him I said thanks for the money," Johnson cracked.

Johnson believes Idzik will be a capable executive and thinks he'll wind up doing the right thing with Revis.

Namely, trading him.

And if the Jets had been in a similar situation in 2000 as they are now, would the Keyshawn trade have made sense?

"No quarterback, no running game, no playoffs? Yes, that would have been a great decision," Johnson said. "But that wasn't the case. We had players.

We had Pro Bowlers. We had a good team."

"I think John will do a good job with the Jets," Johnson said. "He'll be good."

Revis has complained publicly about not getting the answers he needs from the Jets about his future. Johnson's advice to him is this: Dare them to make the deal.

"Revis should kick back and say, 'Move me. If you're all so bold to trade me, then trade me. Send me to Green Bay or wherever,' " Johnson said. "He should realize it's not a bad thing and that they don't want you. He's a wanted man with value. He'll get his money no matter where he plays."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...medium=twitter
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.

if we were trading revis even up for a qb or a rb as good as he is id say yes but we are trading for "what if" draft picks. no thanks

Jets Insider VIP
    he will be traded, I'm certain and for draft picks

coming off a torn ACL nobody is offering franchise QBs or RBs or any player "as good as he is" if such a player even exists in the NFL

problem is that if he is not traded before or during the 2013 season, he walks off to some team stupid enough to accede to his 16 million a year demands

Maybe the Eagles want to repeat their Asomugha fiasco and there's always the Raiders and Redskins out there for Uncle Sean and Revis' shyster agents to flim flam

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    he will be traded, I'm certain and for draft picks

coming off a torn ACL nobody is offering franchise QBs or RBs or any player "as good as he is" if such a player even exists in the NFL

problem is that if he is not traded before or during the 2013 season, he walks off to some team stupid enough to accede to his 16 million a year demands

Maybe the Eagles want to repeat their Asomugha fiasco and there's always the Raiders and Redskins out there for Uncle Sean and Revis' shyster agents to flim flam
    no he wont be. no team will give up all that for a player coming off that injury.

revis plays the 2013 season here and restructures to end his career here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    no he wont be. no team will give up all that for a player coming off that injury.

Pipe dream.

Undrafted Free Agent
    if we were trading revis even up for a qb or a rb as good as he is id say yes but we are trading for "what if" draft picks. no thanks
    "What If" he doesn't get traded and leaves at the end of 2013 or isn't the same player after this major surgery? I'm not sure that's a risk I'd like to take.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When Vinny went down in that first game against the pats in '99 was one of the worst moments of my life ... The trophy was ours in a ny minute that year

Ljr
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 03-02-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan29 View Post
    "What If" he doesn't get traded and leaves at the end of 2013 or isn't the same player after this major surgery? I'm not sure that's a risk I'd like to take.
    what if we trade him and whiff on the picks and get nothing?

I just wonder what # he'll be issued in Denver. Champ Bailey already has lockdown on #24.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I just wonder what # he'll be issued in Denver. Champ Bailey already has lockdown on #24.
    $16M

jets fans simply amaze me they want to trade our best player best cb in the nfl for that matter.

the sunday night we win the super bowl there will still be fans here *****ing about something.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    "He's not going to win any games for you." ...Please. Stop RT @ProFootballTalk Keyshawn's advice to Jets: trade Revis http://wp.me/p14QSB-7tXC

We now know what Keyshawn thinks. I don't watch ESPN shows anymore, does anyone know if Mangini has ever commented on the Revis trade situation? If so, what does he think?

jets fans simply amaze me they want to trade our best player best cb in the nfl for that matter.

the sunday night we win the super bowl there will still be fans here *****ing about something.
    The Sunday Night we win the SB will likely be as a result of the rebuild, a rebuild that trading Revis accelerates and facilitates.

Cause and effect. LOL

If the Jets had a QB, RB, OG, TE who could block, 2 OLBs, a MLB, and a Safety... I think most would want Revis here...

Heck if we just had a solid QB, I'd want him.

There's just too many holes and the asking price is too high for a team with Cap issues.

fantastic player though.

This has been my take all along. The jets will explore trades and if somebody blows them out of the water they will trade him. meanwhile they will negotiate and try to get something done. Only then when all hope is lost will they trade him in October. just to be sure they get something.

So you think it's better to have Revis play out his one-year rental with the Jets, finish at 7-9 or 6-10 with him as opposed to 5-11 or worse without him and lose him to free agency and MAYBE get a 4th round compensatory pick (depending on the net gain or loss in the Jets offseason free agent market next spring)?

What a waste. Take a 2nd and 3rd and move on. Get some value because we ain't keeping him beyond 2013. He'll bolt for sure because the Jets can't and won't pay him franchise QB money for the CB position.

no team is giving up the farm for revis. what dont you guys get? 2nd and 3rd round picks the way the jets draft are questionable. this is a weak draft year.

hes coming off a serious injury. will he be the same player?

im all for getting the most we can for revis or out of revis as a player here.

All League
    The Jets are going to trade him, just not anytime soon. Wait till the preseason where he can show he has returned to form, and get more bang for your buck. His value is the lowest it can be right now. If I were Idzik, unless I get blown away by a deal before the draft, I say wait till Revis can get back on the field and prove himself and then deal him before the start of the season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    "I think it's a smart move if they do move him and get value," the former Jets receiver said. "He's not going to win any games for you. He's a defensive back who will shut down the [opponents'] top receiver, but the ball is not in his hands.
    Hmmmm, I wonder where I have heard that before?