Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Lotuleilei - if he's there...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Sheldon Richardson would make a better NT then either IMO. Star I think would be limited in a 3-4. He reminds me more of Wilfork that any other DT to come out sense him. Floyd would be a dominate 3-4DE and I agree that as a 3-4 prospect he is much more explosive then Star who may be too reliant on physical play for a 3-4. I am almost positive Richardson ends up in Pitt though. I'd have no problem with Gilbert Pena in the 5 round either. No need to jump on a NT really early. If we ended up trading Pouha I would think we could use that pick on Pena. There are shockingly a lot of NTs in this draft but he is 334 lbs and doesn't look fat. 2-gap guy that has top talent but is already 26-27 with some minor injuries. He will be a late round bargain.
    Richardson is sloppy and tapped out. I don't mind him as a high reward 2nd rnd'er, but eff him in the first round.

If we want to find a complimentary NT in the later rounds, sure but peeps be crazy if they think we good because the roster sheet says coples and wilk.

Our roster sheet also said mangold and ferguson last year. We saw what that looked like.

And ftr - star could pull of nose in 30 front. So could Floyd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm against this. Not that I think the kid won't be a good player, but I can't justify going d-line 3 straight years when there are so many other holes. BPA has limitations, you cannot keep ignoring other parts of the team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's still available at 9, I pray some team wants him bad enough to trade up for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Star is 6'3" 320 lbs. That's a 3-4 NT.

But he's athletic enough to move around the line, Ngata gets moved around but he plays mostly in front of Ray Lewis. Wilks and Cope can also both swing inside as well but they are more ends and Star is a NT - The talent in that unit would not overlap.

Also remember that these big uglies get rotated a lot.

It's not like I'm saying to draft Joeckel for BPA - you can only have one LT, we don't have a stud NT - if an elite one is the BPA then you take him otherwise technically you're reaching.
    No... Everyone knows he is best suited as a 3-4 end... We don't need another one for the 3rd year in a row... He doesn't play like a NT. He isn't a guy to plug holes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    No... Everyone knows he is best suited as a 3-4 end... We don't need another one for the 3rd year in a row... He doesn't play like a NT. He isn't a guy to plug holes.
    Completely disagree. NT's job is to draw double-teams. Star does that consistently and better than anyone else in this year's draft. Just because he's fast enough to also play DE doesn't mean he can't be a good NT too. Ngata has played plenty of NT his career the Ravens have just had the luxury of moving him around to different spots on the defense to confuse the OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I'm against this. Not that I think the kid won't be a good player, but I can't justify going d-line 3 straight years when there are so many other holes. BPA has limitations, you cannot keep ignoring other parts of the team
    We just lost Devito and Pouha is 33, with a bad back and coming off a season he played horribly. A great DL makes JAG LB's and DB's look a helluva lot better than they really are.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    PouHA is retiring a J E T S!!! Jets have other needs bc #71 Harrison can play and #93 Ellis can play..

Depth

Pouha
    Ellis
    Harrison

Jets needs

CB
    S
    TE
    RB
    OL
    WR
    LB
    QB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Star could be a star he blew plenty of people up, but.. but was the competition talent up to snuff?

I'm hoping we can trade down a couple of spots, pick up another 2nd and get a starter anyway. I'm mixed on who to pick, sort of like kid in a candy store this time of year.

I'd really like to get another Guard, Lacy, a QB, and some Db's but the fact is we are in rebuild mode and it's gonna take a couple of drafts. IMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    I think Star could be a star he blew plenty of people up, but.. but was the competition talent up to snuff?
    Haloti Ngata also played in the Pac-12 (or it was called pac-10 back then maybe who knows college football is a joke). I think competition can be overanalyzed sometimes I mean Vernon Gholston performed excellent against top competition in the Big 12 and Melvin Ingram was First Team All-SEC and now he averages 1 stinkin sack per season in the NFL and is a bust in the making for the Chargers.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agreed. With those 3, any group of Lbers would look good.
    Which is my same argument if you select Chance Warmack for the offense. Others will look good, our running game will improve which will then help Sanchez or MCelroy get the ball off. That is why I have him as 1 and Star 2 on my wish list.
    Either player will help the other players around them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Which is my same argument if you select Chance Warmack for the offense. Others will look good, our running game will improve which will then help Sanchez or MCelroy get the ball off. That is why I have him as 1 and Star 2 on my wish list.
    Either player will help the other players around them.
    How much help do Mangold and Brick need? They are Pro-Bowl caliber players.

Warmack does not make this offense much better than it was last year, if at all. He will not put any points on the board. The OL was not the problem in 2012 and there is more than enough talent on the line to have a successful offense. Don't waste a top 10 pick on a guard. I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    How much help do Mangold and Brick need? They are Pro-Bowl caliber players.

Warmack does not make this offense much better than it was last year, if at all. He will not put any points on the board. The OL was not the problem in 2012 and there is more than enough talent on the line to have a successful offense. Don't waste a top 10 pick on a guard. I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face.
    Last I checked the O-line has 5 starters not 2 and both Guard spots are currently vacant due to FA. Double-check what I said I might be nuts.

We also got no push up front last year in the running game anytime we faced a legitimate defense. Our pass protection was average. Last time we had a great OL we had 4x 1st round picks playing on it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Last I checked the O-line has 5 starters not 2 and both Guard spots are currently vacant due to FA. Double-check what I said I might be nuts.

We also got no push up front last year in the running game anytime we faced a legitimate defense. Our pass protection was average. Last time we had a great OL we had 4x 1st round picks playing on it.
    There are also no quality S or OLBs on the roster.

I didn't respond to you... so you might be going crazy. How would Warmack make those around him much better if he's drafted to play LG, which he would be, he's sandwiched between 2 pro bowlers, right?

And how many teams in the league have 4 1st round picks on the OL now? Don't need to draft guards high... nobody does. Don't need a pro bowler at every OL position to have a good line, just a group of players who work well together.

I want a player who has the ability make an impact on the outcome of games. Warmack will not.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 03-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.