Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Lotuleilei - if he's there...

All Pro

Star Lotuleilei - if he's there...

We're talking BPA.

I suspect this "heart condition" is not serious. Let's assume for this thread that it is a non-issue and then suppose he slides to #9.

You take him and run. He is an elite prospect and is more proven than any of the potential pass rushers. He has favorable reviews to Haloti Ngata (whom we passed on to draft a franchise left tackle).

Yes we would then have drafted defensive line in the first round for 3 years in a row. Yes that is a lot of resources to dump into one unit on the team but you don't pass on an elite talent if he is there.

Remember when the Patriots actually could win in the playoffs? Yes they had Brady and cameras but they also had: Seymour - Wilfork - Warren = SuperUnit.

There are bigger holes and it won't help the Jets much in 2013 but for sustained long term success you take BPA. You take an elite talent if he is there and if Star is on the board at #9 then he is IMO THE ABSOLUTE BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD.

You sound like GreenJetsandHam in that post.

I always like taking the best player but man this would be a tough one to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You sound like GreenJetsandHam in that post.

I always like taking the best player but man this would be a tough one to do.
    He's never had a problem before and the problems could stem from losing weight too rapidly. His level is also right on the cusp of being normal... Fluctuations are not that uncommon.

I think you trust the doctors here, the dude is certaintly worthy of the #9 pick.

He lost 10 lbs in 1 week for the combine. If you did that your heart would fail an EKG test too. Lotuleilei would make Pouha and his contract expendable plus he'd be a significant upgrade and a demon alongside Coples.

Jets Insider VIP
    He wouldn't fit Pouas position, he fits more as a 3-4 DE. Which means we would have drafted a DE for the third year in a row. No thanks.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    He wouldn't fit Pouas position, he fits more as a 3-4 DE. Which means we would have drafted a DE for the third year in a row. No thanks.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2
    Star is 6'3" 320 lbs. That's a 3-4 NT.

But he's athletic enough to move around the line, Ngata gets moved around but he plays mostly in front of Ray Lewis. Wilks and Cope can also both swing inside as well but they are more ends and Star is a NT - The talent in that unit would not overlap.

Also remember that these big uglies get rotated a lot.

It's not like I'm saying to draft Joeckel for BPA - you can only have one LT, we don't have a stud NT - if an elite one is the BPA then you take him otherwise technically you're reaching.

Hall Of Fame
    No.

We have Wilk, Ellis and Coples. Time for them to hold down the fort. Sink or swim.

Rookie
    My wish list for the 9th pick goes in this order:

Chance Warmack (Our running game and Passing game improve because of this man) Evidenced by (Mark Ingram winning the Heisman, Eddie Lacey as a possible late 1st/2nd round pick, and oh yeah shutting down Notre Dames front defense)

Star Lotaulalie (We had trouble stopping the run last year. This addition would just be an awesome front D-Line)

Dion Jordan (Rex might be able to turn this guy into our Suggs)

WR Patterson (Might as well get a year learning the system so you can take over for Holmes when he is gone)

If none of those guy's are on the board trade down and collect another pick.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    My wish list for the 9th pick goes in this order:

Chance Warmack (Our running game and Passing game improve because of this man) Evidenced by (Mark Ingram winning the Heisman, Eddie Lacey as a possible late 1st/2nd round pick, and oh yeah shutting down Notre Dames front defense)

Star Lotaulalie (We had trouble stopping the run last year. This addition would just be an awesome front D-Line)

Dion Jordan (Rex might be able to turn this guy into our Suggs)

WR Patterson (Might as well get a year learning the system so you can take over for Holmes when he is gone)

If none of those guy's are on the board trade down and collect another pick.
    http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index..._draft_pr.html

Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee, 6-3, 205 Hes explosive. Hes dynamic. He runs consistent 4.4s, Im just not sure how smart he is. Youre going to have to keep it simple for him. But the kid is really dynamic.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

i'm going for OLB ... Jordan & Ansah are Teh Awesome!!!

ljr

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    We're talking BPA.

I suspect this "heart condition" is not serious. Let's assume for this thread that it is a non-issue and then suppose he slides to #9.

You take him and run. He is an elite prospect and is more proven than any of the potential pass rushers. He has favorable reviews to Haloti Ngata (whom we passed on to draft a franchise left tackle).

Yes we would then have drafted defensive line in the first round for 3 years in a row. Yes that is a lot of resources to dump into one unit on the team but you don't pass on an elite talent if he is there.

Remember when the Patriots actually could win in the playoffs? Yes they had Brady and cameras but they also had: Seymour - Wilfork - Warren = SuperUnit.

There are bigger holes and it won't help the Jets much in 2013 but for sustained long term success you take BPA. You take an elite talent if he is there and if Star is on the board at #9 then he is IMO THE ABSOLUTE BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD.
    100% on board if he's there at 9. You win in this league on defense by pushing the pocket. How good was Dallas defense last year & they have one of the most dynamic pass rushers in Ware? Not very.

When you have a great Dline you don't need studs at every LB position, look at the Giants.
    Jet fans have to realize that there is a lot of depth in this draft & although Patterson might be great, you can move the chains in the WCO with players that know the "system".
    Jets should go trenches @ #1 & #2 this year.
    If they are able to trade Revis, then with the extra 2 & 3 or whatever they end up with should be on skill positions at RB, TE, WR in the order with which their board plays out for BPA at those positions.
    If they feel that at 3 the TE sitting there is better than the WR or RB then take him.
    We all know we can't fix this team in one draft. Do not pick for need!
    BPA at any other position than LT or Center!

Veteran
    I am all abroad the Star. he's a top 3 pick prior to the heart issue. if he gets cleared take him at 9 or trade the pick to someone who's got the bots for him.

All Pro
    Absolutely.

Floyd is the only player i would take ahead of Star. People seem to think the loss of De Vito and probably Pouha is just going to sort itself out. I'm not ready to count on Ellis. No way, no how.

Veteran
    Ellis Coles and star would be nasty from 3-4 tough against run and pocket constantly collapsing

Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    Ellis Coles and star would be nasty from 3-4 tough against run and pocket constantly collapsing
    Agreed. With those 3, any group of Lbers would look good.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Absolutely.

Floyd is the only player i would take ahead of Star. People seem to think the loss of De Vito and probably Pouha is just going to sort itself out. I'm not ready to count on Ellis. No way, no how.
    Why not? Then we wasted a 3rd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about Coples when you says Coles. I think he'd be better suited at SOLB with Wilkerson at the RDE spot, with Star at LDE.

It would be interesting to see where the speed rushing WOLB comes from in that scenario.

Veteran
    I think puoha gets cut and Ellis just too much of a question mark. I meant to say Wilkerson-star-coples would be nasty. if you rely in Ellis this season it could be an ugly year giving up huge rushing yards every game

Absolutely.

Devito ran out of steam last year, only so much you can ask of an overachiever.
    Ellis just needs more time is perfect in a rotation.
    Would love to see us get some veteran FAs that don't cost a fortune at LB.
    I'm hoping Harris had some sort of injury that they didn't want to reveal, it was weird how much he dropped off last year.
    might of had something to do with the Dline & Scott, Pace & Thomas REALLY falling off the age cliff.

Absolutely.

Sheldon Richardson would make a better NT then either IMO. Star I think would be limited in a 3-4. He reminds me more of Wilfork that any other DT to come out sense him. Floyd would be a dominate 3-4DE and I agree that as a 3-4 prospect he is much more explosive then Star who may be too reliant on physical play for a 3-4. I am almost positive Richardson ends up in Pitt though. I'd have no problem with Gilbert Pena in the 5 round either. No need to jump on a NT really early. If we ended up trading Pouha I would think we could use that pick on Pena. There are shockingly a lot of NTs in this draft but he is 334 lbs and doesn't look fat. 2-gap guy that has top talent but is already 26-27 with some minor injuries. He will be a late round bargain.