Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First mock ever--plus 2014 Round 1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

First mock ever--plus 2014 Round 1

My first ever mock. Cool story brah

Jets trade Revis for a second and a third round pick in the 2013 Draft and a first round pick in 2014—not sure of the suitor, hoping Idzik figures that out . Love Revis the player, hate Revis the business man. I don’t begrudge him getting every penny he can, I just don’t have to like it. Will go down IMHO as the most detested great all-time Jet ever (edging our Keyshawn who was one of my favorites until forcing his way out).

Don’t want 2 number ones this year from SF (or anyone), don’t even want ONE number this year if I can’t get a one next year—this is such a deep draft through the middle rounds that getting 1 or 2 extra first rounders doesn’t get you that much more value than a 2 and a 3 this year and a number 1 next year.

My picks:

1—Chance Warmack—If he’s there, this is a no-brainer. I want a massive dominating OLine so that the next QB of the Jets will have the luxury of a consistently clean pocket and a strong complimentary running game. Build the offense from the trenches. This guy steps in Day 1 and immediately improves the passing game and the run game.

2(a)—Giovani Bernard—Perfect all-around back for the WCO, 3 down runner, pass catcher and good blocker, paired with Powell and McKnight will result in a solid running game. Over the next 2-3 years we’ll become a passing team with Mornhinweg, but that needs to be complimented with a solid run game—just like the Ravens and the 49ers.

2(b)—Alex Okafor –Edge pass rusher that can also defend the run, prototypical size and skillset for a 3-4 OLB. All the top edge rushers are gone, but I’m not sold on the lot of them.

3(a) Larry Warford—Stick him in between Brick and Mangold (even though he’s played mostly RG) and this line is impenetrable. Can play center too. Build from the trenches.

3(b)—Robert Alford—small school CB with decent size and great speed to play opposite Cro. Honestly never heard of him before the Combine—but we need to keep Kyle Wilson out of the starting lineup.

4—Shamarko Thomas—saw him play a lot this year—fast heat seeking missile that lays the wood at every opportunity. Insurance if Landry leaves. Combine time may move him up, face plant may move him down .

5- Nico Johnson—can never have enough SEC/Alabama linebackers. Big and strong interior run-stuffer--nice ILB prospect. Have seen him go anywhere from round 4 to round 6. Likened to a young Bart Scott. Still don’t get some of the hate here for the Mad Backer, brought some nastiness and toughness to the team that got to the AFC Champ games based on a stout defense. He got hurt and old in a hurry—no reason to hate him.

6—Denard Robinson—Jets take a flyer on a potential playmaker and an option behind Kerley to run the Wildcat. This guy won’t quit on his teammates and refuse the call. Jets still like getting a "name" player.

7—Braden Brown—developmental OT from BYU. Worth a shot, could provide immediate depth at RT. Gotta love big dudes from BYU.

Honestly not sold on the edge rushers that might be available at 9—either too small or maybe a project—no sure fire stud IMHO. That’s why I take the safe—yes, safety is what we need, we can’t afford to gamble on potential superstardom in hopes of landing the next LT—with Warmack. Also, hate the QBs this year--drafting a mistake just because you NEED a QB is still a m mistake--there is so much talent in this draft--let's restock all over the field rather than force something.

And here’s where we start moving forward:

2014 NFL Draft Round 1

1(a)—A. J. McCarron—I don’t think we’re going to be picking 1 or 2 or even top 5, so Teddy Bridgewater and Clowney won’t be there for us. But I look at McCarron as the next Matt Ryan or maybe an Eli Manning type. 6-4, needs to add some bulk, above-average arm strength, perfect mechanics, very accurate, tall pocket passer, smart and—so important-- doesn’t turn the ball over. Some look at him as a game manager with an all-star supporting cast, and he does—but he’s also got the talent IMHO to be a top tier NFL QB. Not sure, however, how he’d translate to the WCO because while not a statue, he’s not a supremely mobile QB. Love Johnny Football, and as a little guy myself, I’d be a huge fan, but I don’t want a small guy back there—notwithstanding what Russell Wilson has done.

1(b)—Marquise Lee--WR out of USC and say goodbye to Santonio Holmes.

I was happy we drafted Sanchez, was happy with his rookie season and was absolutely looking forward to a bright future after 2010. But after the Baltimore game in 2011, I started to get a little queasy and tried to rationalize in my mind that the end of 2011 was due to his Oline play and him getting blasted. 2012 was, quite frankly, brutal in every respect for him and even the most ardent Sanchez supporter—which I am/was—can’t imagine this ending well. Maybe Marty can do miracles, but hope is not a strategy. And quite honestly, I don’t need a Kapernick or a Newton or a physical freak—I want a solid dropback QB that can hit open guys 10-15-20 yards down the field like he’s handing off to them. Give me A.J.

_

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    McCarron is a 5-7th round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    McCarron is a 5-7th round pick.
    Let's see after 2013 season.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job there Stokes. This would be a very nice haul.

I am not too crazy about Warford. I think he has a bad body. Plus there is the Kentucky/D-Rob factor. Check out the guy with a similar last name, Earl Watford.

Like you I am not sold on the pass rushers in this draft. Bunch of Aaron Maybins.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think your draft is a bit too dreamy in terms of draft picks received for Revis and also the players you expect to be around when the Jets pick.

Because of the injury no team will trade a farm of draft picks for Revis unless he's 100% healthy and it's an area of need at the CB spot. Getting a 1st round next year is plausible because teams will feel like they're get to keep the picks this year and that they will be a much better team next year. But teams won't additionally trade their 2nd and 3rd this year for Revis. I think the most the Jets will get depending on their timing of trade can expect a market of a 1st rounder and a conditional 3rd if he's healthy throughout the season.

Warmack is a great choice at #9.
    Bernard may be a solid choice in the 2nd round, I would rather go WR but he's a good choice.
    Okafor is a decent pick at that slot, but I don't think he has the agility to play TE's in space - he's too stiff.
    Warford will not be on the board in the third round. He will be long gone by then.
    Alford is a nice pick for our 3rd rounder, but again the Jets need OL,WR's & TE's and I would've picked up a OL or TE's at this spot. Even if we drafted Warmack we would need a player to come in if one of our players get hurt this year, we have very little depth...let's hope Ducasse picks it up this year.

The rest of the picks are ok, but you gotta think at some point the Jets also address the Safety spot, Landry will be gone via FA and while we will sign some lessor known player to fill his spot, we need playmakers especially if the Jets plan on trading Revis.

So my opinion is that it's a fair draft but your smoking some really good stuff if you think we good that boatload of picks while he's injured.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Quick question. If you took Warmack in the first. Then why the other guard in the third, and why is he starting at LG over warmack?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the qb from Clemson comes out he will be a first round pick too. Id take him ove Mccaron.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Nice. Quick question. If you took Warmack in the first. Then why the other guard in the third, and why is he starting at LG over warmack?

I'm slotting Warmack at RG.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice job bra.. I really hope idzik picks warmack (hopefully hes still there) Would be best pick for jets.. After that you really have to wait and see whos available, who is best at position we are in need of, ect. I hope our gm takes the 2 year approach rebuilding this team. I dont really care about next year, Sanchez blows we have to wait his exit out.. Just pick good value each round, dont go chasing a certain postion this year.. qb 1st round hopefully next year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we draft a QB next year, it better be either Teddy Bridgewater or Logan Thomas

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm slotting Warmack at RG.

_

Left Guard is more important than RG, first off.

2nd, McCarron is a mediocre prospect. Middle round, game manager player.

Boyd, Bridgewater, and Johnny Football are who we should really be looking at in next years class.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been more in favor of olb than Guard at 9 but overall I like what you have done in the draft. If we take two guards I'm not sure we need to go OT later on. I'm also not high on Denard top be honest. However you covered some key spots with okafor and bernard. Pretty good job overall and I also like any possible trade of Revis netting us a 1 next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Not in the run game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get Katherine Webb

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

2nd, McCarron is a mediocre prospect. Middle round, game manager player.

Boyd, Bridgewater, and Johnny Football are who we should really be looking at in next years class.
    Warmack is much more dominant than Warford and does not need as much help, which he won't get from Howard. Warmack could be slotted into the RG spot and solidify the right side for a decade, and that side is more important in the run game.

Warford will need some help, that's why I've put him between Brick and Mangold.

We're not going to be drafting 1 or 2 next year so we're not getting Bridgewater and as much as I love us little guys like Manziel, I don't think you can count on such a small guy.

You may think McCarron is mediocre, but by next draft he's going to be a sure-fire first rounder. Super accurate and doesn't throw interceptions.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    We get Katherine Webb
    I'd trade Revis for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post

The rest of the picks are ok, but you gotta think at some point the Jets also address the Safety spot, Landry will be gone via FA and while we will sign some lessor known player to fill his spot, we need playmakers especially if the Jets plan on trading Revis.
    I have Shamarko Thomas as the battering ram to step in for Landry. I want Landry to stay, but if not, Thomas is going to be blasting folks over the middle on a weekly basis.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johnny football will not be a.pro qb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    If we draft a QB next year, it better be either Teddy Bridgewater or Logan Thomas
    Logan is horrid I hope not. Thought he would declare this year I had him ranked like 20th in this class. Out side of Bridgewater who I am NOT sold on at all and Driskel who are both underclassman next years class look like a very poor QB class. I'll take what here this year in the 2nd over any of them. Carr and Boyd will likely be the top SRs and neither look like anything better then what you will see in the 4th round this year. McCarron and Murrey are nothing more then career BUs even if they succeed at the next level.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Logan is horrid I hope not. Thought he would declare this year I had him ranked like 20th in this class. Out side of Bridgewater who I am NOT sold on at all and Driskel who are both underclassman next years class look like a very poor QB class. I'll take what here this year in the 2nd over any of them. Carr and Boyd will likely be the top SRs and neither look like anything better then what you will see in the 4th round this year. McCarron and Murrey are nothing more then career BUs even if they succeed at the next level.
    You should watch more Bridgewater if you are not sold... He is projected to have a draft grade near Andrew Lucks.