Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Keller wants to stay with Jets

Keller is top 12 in YPC but usually a pretty bleh YAC. His open field running is similar to one S. Greene. A better QB might be able to help Keller improve a bit, but he's just not that athletic. Plus a below average blocker. Our other options aren't any better but that's no reason to overpay to keep Keller.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Keller is top 12 in YPC but usually a pretty bleh YAC. His open field running is similar to one S. Greene. A better QB might be able to help Keller improve a bit, but he's just not that athletic. Plus a below average blocker. Our other options aren't any better but that's no reason to overpay to keep Keller.
    He looked good as a rookie with Favre passing..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He looked good as a rookie with Favre passing..
    yes he did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Of course he does. There is no market for him.

Veteran
    I wouldn't mind Keller being back but he must sign a cap friendly deal right now. If he won't play for pretty cheap, then let him go. He's better than Cumberland, but not by a massive margin. He's not an "elite" TE, but I don't think he needs to be. He can be a receiving threat when a decent QB is getting him the ball (which won't be this season).

Veteran
    Who would you rather instead of Keller ? An All-Pro ?

What starting tight ends on the Jets in the last fifteen years are you comparing him to ? Anthony Becht, Kyle Brady ... Johnny Mitchell ?

Granted he is limited as a blocker but compared to what we had before he can catch the ball and when healthy, gave our offense an other dimension.

If you can sign him for a reasonable contract, he's worth having back. If we can squeeze a reasonable contract under the cap, there is no reason why we can't draft another TE and add diversify our offense - our wide receivers are scaring nobody.

Agreed, if he is looking for top ten TE money ( one writer suggested that his numbers warranted a possible top ten deal) we need to look elsewhere.

He's been a good solder and not a contract complainer despite having been made wait. That loyalty on it's own is not enough reason to sign a guy but it's enough reason to have a conversation to ascertain if there is any middle ground.

The only reason I suspect that the Jets have not been more pro-active in signing him might be connected to any lingering health issues.

All Pro
    He never did learn how to pass block. He is a serviceable run blocker. He's short and, not particularly fast, but he's fluid, and runs good roots. He is smart, and has good hands, but tends to disappear for stretches. I don't know where that puts him, but on this team we needed someone to be able to pass block besides the Oline. Other teams realized that we had no one, and they constantly blitzed us. The WCO may be better for him, but we don't know that yet. I'd take him back for 2.5 mil per year, but I wouldn't give him a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    keller.... if he can stay healthy.

Until this year, he was never hurt.

To you other point, he was targeted 100+ times a season his last two full seasons ('10 and '11)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We are turning the page on alot of guys that have been around here a long time. Keller is one of those guys. Out w the old, in w the new. He is not in the plans.

Are you ever right, or even try to make sense?

Keller isn't old, this would be his first FA contract, he just finished his rookie contract

Sanchez's wild and ridiculous throws have not helped nor being attached to coaches that are clueless when it comes to offense but the bottom line is he has not developed and must take some of the blame.

If he wants premium TE money it's time to bid him farewell.

They should bring him back, letting him go creates another hole. Of course Mornhinweg wants him back, he fits in his offense really well. Unlike with Sparano, where Keller didn't really fit.

Remember his potential with Favre throwing him the ball his rookie year? And how Favre raved about him?

Yeah that's what happens to potential when you have a QB/OC that doesn't understand how to use his maximum ability. It plummets.

He's good in the run block game and serviceable/alright at the pass block game, but really he shouldn't be pass blocking unless he's chipping before going on a route.

no lose if we loose hands of stone keller

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Give Keller a decent QB, and he'll have a breakout year
    He actually is a pretty solid TE even for Mark as hard as that is to fathom.

I don't understand all the Keller hate. Gronk he aint...but he is solid.

Keller had his chances. He showed flashes but his production over the last two years has declined. He is not a beast. He lacks the big time size that most NFL TE's have now. I'm sure he would just love to stay in NY and chase women with Sanchez till 3 o'clock in the morning, but those days are over. Your time is up dude and your boy Sanchez is not far behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by NamathToCaster View Post
    Keller had his chances. He showed flashes but his production over the last two years has declined. He is not a beast. He lacks the big time size that most NFL TE's have now. I'm sure he would just love to stay in NY and chase women with Sanchez till 3 o'clock in the morning, but those days are over. Your time is up dude and your boy Sanchez is not far behind you.
    He had his best year two years ago, and last year he was injured for most of the year.

Do people just make **** up around here these days?

If he wants to sign on the cheap he can stay otherwise, sayonara.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He actually is a pretty solid TE even for Mark as hard as that is to fathom.

I don't understand all the Keller hate. Gronk he aint...but he is solid.
    It amazes me how Jets fans HATE Jets players. Know anyone like that?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    keller should have been used alot differently here. 2 te sets or with him in the slot. he has the talent to be that hybrid te/wr if he can stay healthy.
    I don't think being a hybrid TE/WR is really a desirable quality. I'd much rather have a TE, or a WR. He's not a TE with the speed of a WR, and he's not a WR with the size of a TE. He's in between which is why he can be good, but he can never be great at anything.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    It amazes me how Jets fans HATE Jets players. Know anyone like that?
    I'm right with you on the hating of our own players, coaches and even the team in general which is like the past time around here, but I just don't see it with Keller. In fact he may be the one player(other than Mangold) I've never seen anyone hate on, except maybe Giant Dan, but he hates everyone that's not on his beloved Giants. Not wanting to pay Keller top 10 TE money does not constitute hatred.