Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brian Costello: Keller wants to stay with Jets

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How can you say that? All Sanchez has done is look for Keller in the passing game. Keller doesn't have great hands and does not get the separation you would expect from a player with his athleticism.
    Why do you encourage the meathead? He doesn't care; logic bores him.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    easy, sanchez doesnt utilize his tes the way they should be used. many blamed schotte it didnt improve with sparano either. sanchez doesnt throw an accurate enough pass for kellers liking friends or no friends bring in another qb and we have an elite te in keller.
    You.Are.Ill.

But in a good way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 yr $2-3 mil deal otherwise goodbye.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Who would you rather instead of Keller ? An All-Pro
    Not quite. I'd prefer a cheaper TE who can actually block like Fasano. Not having a blocking TE who could seal the edge on running plays and help pick up the blitz in pass protect killed our offense last season among other problems and exacerbated Sanchez's TO's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see Keller come back but we can't sit here and pretend that we can unless he's willing to take less to stay with the Jets. He's a good player that can surely get more from another team and if he happened to take less it would tell a lot of the overpaid greedy jerks on the team a little about having a conscience.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thank you.

Whether it's Mark Sanchez, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Akili Smith or Joe Montana, you need to be able to catch the football consistently, especially if you can't block a five year-old, and Keller hasn't. His hands are the main reason he has not become a top tier receiving TE, because other than them he has the skill set to be one.

He's not worth $5 million per.

Cya, Dustin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keller is an average TE. Nothing special. Jets can't afford to throw big money to a JAG. As was stated above, if he wants to make a big splash,if he even can, he's going to have to look elsewhere.

Short money is all he'll get with the NYJ.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marty can get the LJ Smith out of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Keller is beginning to panic a little about his prospects for a big payday in FA.

Reading between the lines, he's not getting the kind of (unofficial) interest he was anticipating.

Not so long ago he was saying he didn't want a franchise tag and the $6M one year salary that comes with it. I think he would gladly take it now.

My guess, if he hits FA, he averages no more than $3M - $4M a year on a multi-year deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Looks like Keller is beginning to panic a little about his prospects for a big payday in FA.

Reading between the lines, he's not getting the kind of (unofficial) interest he was anticipating.

Not so long ago he was saying he didn't want a franchise tag and the $6M one year salary that comes with it. I think he would gladly take it now.

My guess, if he hits FA, he averages no more than $3M - $4M a year on a multi-year deal.
    You people way overrate Keller. He isn't getting shart in Free Agency after the abortion of a season he just had. 1 yr deal

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    You people way overrate Keller. He isn't getting shart in Free Agency after the abortion of a season he just had. 1 yr deal
    I wonder if Belichick agrees with you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I wonder if Belichick agrees with you.
    He already has Hernandez and glass arm Gronklozki. Pats need to resign Welker and get a downfield receiver who can make plays in the go route.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love how this franchise continues to alienate it's supposed blue chip players. The guys we invested high picks in.

Awesome.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He already has Hernandez and glass arm Gronklozki. Pats need to resign Welker and get a downfield receiver who can make plays in the go route.
    Considering Gronks injury history more reason for Keller. BB can never have enough TEs. WCO teams in need of a TE will have interest in Keller.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I love how this franchise continues to alienate it's supposed blue chip players. The guys we invested high picks in.

Awesome.
    Keller is blue chip? When did that happen? He's a tight end who can't block and just spent an entire season on the injury report. He's not as fast or as dynamic as the elite receiving tight ends like Graham or Hernandez and he's a total liability in run blocking and pass protection. Give me a more complete tight end like Fasano. We can even take the kid Eifert from ND with one of the picks we get for Revis to be our new receiving TE he's got better size than Keller.

Get rid of Cumby too he is an even crappier version of Keller.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keller is blue chip? When did that happen?
    It happened when you read my post more closely.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You people? Who are these "you" people to which you refer?

Scots? Captain Caveman fans?? White, hetero omnivores???

I don't think projecting a salary in the $3M range (roughly half the franchise tag amount) for Keller is over-rating him at all. It's the economic reality of NFL free agency.

In the new economics of the NFL, you get low pay your first 3 years on your rookie deal, then you get bigger pay in Free Agency.

A lot of players with less of a career history than Keller have been paid a lot more in FA. Decent slot receivers pull down $5M - $6M in FA. Good CBs are getting $9M-$10M in FA. I don't think it's a stretch to project a proven, mid-level, NFL starting TE to get $3M a year.

And, personally, I don't even rate Keller all that highly. Maybe he squeaks in the top half (i.e top 16) of NFL starting TEs, but that's about it. But, in an environment where even players like Jeff Cumberland are being considered with $2M price tags, Keller will get somewhere between $3M and $4M IMO.

It won't be the 6 year, $30M with $15m guaranteed type deal he probably thought he was going to get - more like 3 years, $10M or 4 years, $14M with around $5M guaranteed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Considering Gronks injury history more reason for Keller. BB can never have enough TEs. WCO teams in need of a TE will have interest in Keller.
    Don't forget about the fact that Jake Ballard will be coming back. I doubt they'll need Keller to fill that fourth string TE role, because that's what he'd be up there. I think Miami, with Fasano a FA and them becoming a more passing team, would be a good fit for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Out w the old, in w the new. He is not in the plans.
    This.