Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: Revis and Belichick? No way

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Sunday notes: Revis and Belichick? No way

Looking at the Jets and the rest of the NFL:

1. Cancel this Foxborough shuttle: Let's end this notion right now. If Darrelle Revis plays out his contract and becomes an unrestricted free agent, there's no way he'll end up in New England. Tom Brady is the big fish in Beantown, and he'll remain the Patriots' highest-paid player for as long as he's around. It would contradict the Patriot Way to pay another player more than Saint Tom, who, in case you missed it, took a hometown discount last week.

Combining his three-year extension with his two existing years, Brady reportedly averages $14.5 million per year -- below what Revis is seeking. Bill Belichick might feign interest to drive up the price (and tweak the Jets), but he'll never undercut Brady by paying someone else more -- especially someone who once called him a "jerk."

2. Diminishing return: If the Jets get to the point where they decide to trade Revis (which, in my opinion, is how this will end), they need to remember this: In 2007, they traded their second-round pick to switch places with the Panthers and move up 11 spots in the first round, picking him 14th overall. As an asset, Revis has appreciated over time, so the Jets shouldn't settle for anything less than their original investment -- first- and second-round picks.

By the way, Revis was the second DB drafted that year. Can you name the first? Answer below.

3. More Revis thoughts: Trading Revis in the offseason could cost the Jets a quality starter. How's that? Right now, he's counting $9 million on the cap. If he's dealt, his "dead" charge is $12 million. That extra $3 million could mean the difference between re-signing a free agent like Mike DeVito or letting him go. In other words, you lose more than a premier cornerback if you trade Revis.

The counter argument: If you wait until the end of the preseason to trade him, the dead charge is $15 million because he will have received $3 million in bonuses by then -- $1 million roster, $1 million workout and $1 million reporting. The Jets would have to leave themselves enough cap flexibility to incur an additional $6 million beyond his current cap figure, and that won't be easy. Let's face it, it's a mess.

4. Draft nuggets: The Jets have met with the top 10 quarterback prospects, according to senior personnel exec Terry Bradway. In an interview with the team web site, he said the strength of the QB class will be in the second and third round, although he suspects a couple will wind up as first rounders. Reading between the lines, this tells me the Jets don't have any quarterbacks with a first-round grade.

Other insights from Bradway: The best values at safety and running back are Rounds 2 to 4. There are 12 to 14 wide receivers that can make significant contributions as rookies. Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan (shoulder surgery), a player linked to the Jets at No. 9, might not be ready until early training camp.

5. Crystal ball: Prediction on the early theme of free agency for the Jets -- exodus. I can easily see them losing mainstays such as DeVito, Dustin Keller, Brandon Moore and Shonn Greene, along with LaRon Landry. Even with the bump in the cap, they're still only about $8 million under. It'll take about $8 million for the draft and restricted-free agent tenders, so they're really operating with no room for spending. They have to make cuts (Tim Tebow) and restructure contracts (Santonio Holmes) to create room.

6. Austin Power: The Jets are trying to decide whether to give RT Austin Howard the first-round tender ($2.86 million) or second-round tender ($2.02 million) as a restricted free agent. Something they should consider: The Ravens, Howard's first team, own the last pick in the second round and could be looking for a left tackle to replace free-agent LT Bryant McKinnie. Howard, almost 26, would be better than any draft pick at that spot, so it wouldn't be a shock if the Ravens explore an offer sheet.

7. Out like Flynn: A lot of folks are saying the Jets should trade for Seahawks backup QB Matt Flynn, but he'd hardly be a sure thing. Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, formerly Flynn's coordinator in Green Bay, passed on him last offseason. Chiefs GM John Dorsey, formerly a Packers exec, also passed, as the Chiefs opted to trade for Alex Smith. It tells you something about a player when the people who know him best don't want him.

8. No ordinary Joe: Ravens QB Joe Flacco landed a six-year, $120.6 million contract, the 13th $100 million deal in NFL history. Of the eight contracts no longer active, the biggest actual payout was Brett Favre, who got $54.6 million of a $100 million deal, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Moral of the story: There's a lot of funny money in the NFL.

9. No ordinary Joe, part II: Three weeks ago, I had lunch with Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, for a story on another client, Stony Brook RB Miguel Maysonet. Linta, describing his penchant for signing small-school players (Flacco came from Delaware), admitted it's a risky way to do business. "It's living on the edge, but I like taking the road less traveled," he said. After his Flacco commission, Linta will be driving that road in style.

10. A poor Reid-option: Alex Smith fits Andy Reid's West Coast offense because of his short accuracy, but let's be real here: The Chiefs gave up too much in the trade, sending the 49ers a second-round pick (No. 34) this year and a conditional pick in 2014. Smith isn't that good, but it's a weak quarterback class. Plus, the Chiefs have a poor track record for drafting passers. The last 10 quarterbacks drafted by the Chiefs never won a game for the franchise, per ESPN Stats. Where have you gone, Len Dawson?

Answer to the trivia question: LaRon Landry, drafted sixth overall by the Redskins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...lichick-no-way

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Typical Wendy Whinini.....lets paint a dark, ominous scene for The Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He couldn't be more wrong on Austin Howard and the OT's in this draft (also, McKinnie is a LT, Howard's a below average RT), but he's right re: Revis and New England. That marriage will NEVER happen. Miami though .. that I could definitely see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    By the way, Revis was the second DB drafted that year. Can you name the first? Answer below.
    Another interesting fact on the 2007 draft.. After Revis went at pick 14,picks 18,19,20 and 21 were all DB's..Leon Hall,Michael Griffin,Aaron Ross and Reggie Nelson..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap, talk about swinging and missing on the draft...

The last 10 quarterbacks drafted by the Chiefs never won a game for the franchise, per ESPN Stats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Holy crap, talk about swinging and missing on the draft...
    How many were 1st rd picks is the question?? I mean how many non 1st rd picks have played well for the Jets?? Pat Ryan??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    How many were 1st rd picks is the question?? I mean how many non 1st rd picks have played well for the Jets?? Pat Ryan??
    The Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in the first round since 1983.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bradway -- the best values on QBs, DBs and RBs will be Rds 2-4. No need to take any of these QBs, Vaccaro or Lacy in Rd 1. None. QB can probably wait until Rd 3 for me really. But 12-14 WRs who can make an immediate impact? Maybe on 28 other teams -- not with this QB situation

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I agree with Bradway -- the best values on QBs, DBs and RBs will be Rds 2-4. No need to take any of these QBs, Vaccaro or Lacy in Rd 1. None. QB can probably wait until Rd 3 for me really. But 12-14 WRs who can make an immediate impact? Maybe on 28 other teams -- not with this QB situation
    First rounder should be a pass rusher or a WR. Nothing else.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Cancel this Foxborough shuttle: Let's end this notion right now. If Darrelle Revis plays out his contract and becomes an unrestricted free agent, there's no way he'll end up in New England. Tom Brady is the big fish in Beantown, and he'll remain the Patriots' highest-paid player for as long as he's around. It would contradict the Patriot Way to pay another player more than Saint Tom, who, in case you missed it, took a hometown discount last week.

Combining his three-year extension with his two existing years, Brady reportedly averages $14.5 million per year -- below what Revis is seeking. Bill Belichick might feign interest to drive up the price (and tweak the Jets), but he'll never undercut Brady by paying someone else more -- especially someone who once called him a "jerk."

2. Diminishing return: If the Jets get to the point where they decide to trade Revis (which, in my opinion, is how this will end), they need to remember this: In 2007, they traded their second-round pick to switch places with the Panthers and move up 11 spots in the first round, picking him 14th overall. As an asset, Revis has appreciated over time, so the Jets shouldn't settle for anything less than their original investment -- first- and second-round picks.

3. More Revis thoughts: Trading Revis in the offseason could cost the Jets a quality starter. How's that? Right now, he's counting $9 million on the cap. If he's dealt, his "dead" charge is $12 million. That extra $3 million could mean the difference between re-signing a free agent like Mike DeVito or letting him go. In other words, you lose more than a premier cornerback if you trade Revis.

The counter argument: If you wait until the end of the preseason to trade him, the dead charge is $15 million because he will have received $3 million in bonuses by then -- $1 million roster, $1 million workout and $1 million reporting. The Jets would have to leave themselves enough cap flexibility to incur an additional $6 million beyond his current cap figure, and that won't be easy. Let's face it, it's a mess.

4. Draft nuggets: The Jets have met with the top 10 quarterback prospects, according to senior personnel exec Terry Bradway. In an interview with the team web site, he said the strength of the QB class will be in the second and third round, although he suspects a couple will wind up as first rounders. Reading between the lines, this tells me the Jets don't have any quarterbacks with a first-round grade.

Other insights from Bradway: The best values at safety and running back are Rounds 2 to 4. There are 12 to 14 wide receivers that can make significant contributions as rookies. Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan (shoulder surgery), a player linked to the Jets at No. 9, might not be ready until early training camp.

5. Crystal ball: Prediction on the early theme of free agency for the Jets -- exodus. I can easily see them losing mainstays such as DeVito, Dustin Keller, Brandon Moore and Shonn Greene, along with LaRon Landry. Even with the bump in the cap, they're still only about $8 million under. It'll take about $8 million for the draft and restricted-free agent tenders, so they're really operating with no room for spending. They have to make cuts (Tim Tebow) and restructure contracts (Santonio Holmes) to create room.

6. Austin Power: The Jets are trying to decide whether to give RT Austin Howard the first-round tender ($2.86 million) or second-round tender ($2.02 million) as a restricted free agent. Something they should consider: The Ravens, Howard's first team, own the last pick in the second round and could be looking for a left tackle to replace free-agent LT Bryant McKinnie. Howard, almost 26, would be better than any draft pick at that spot, so it wouldn't be a shock if the Ravens explore an offer sheet.

7. Out like Flynn: A lot of folks are saying the Jets should trade for Seahawks backup QB Matt Flynn, but he'd hardly be a sure thing. Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, formerly Flynn's coordinator in Green Bay, passed on him last offseason. Chiefs GM John Dorsey, formerly a Packers exec, also passed, as the Chiefs opted to trade for Alex Smith. It tells you something about a player when the people who know him best don't want him.

8. No ordinary Joe: Ravens QB Joe Flacco landed a six-year, $120.6 million contract, the 13th $100 million deal in NFL history. Of the eight contracts no longer active, the biggest actual payout was Brett Favre, who got $54.6 million of a $100 million deal, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Moral of the story: There's a lot of funny money in the NFL.

9. No ordinary Joe, part II: Three weeks ago, I had lunch with Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, for a story on another client, Stony Brook RB Miguel Maysonet. Linta, describing his penchant for signing small-school players (Flacco came from Delaware), admitted it's a risky way to do business. "It's living on the edge, but I like taking the road less traveled," he said. After his Flacco commission, Linta will be driving that road in style.

10. A poor Reid-option: Alex Smith fits Andy Reid's West Coast offense because of his short accuracy, but let's be real here: The Chiefs gave up too much in the trade, sending the 49ers a second-round pick (No. 34) this year and a conditional pick in 2014. Smith isn't that good, but it's a weak quarterback class. Plus, the Chiefs have a poor track record for drafting passers. The last 10 quarterbacks drafted by the Chiefs never won a game for the franchise, per ESPN Stats. Where have you gone, Len Dawson?

Answer to the trivia question: LaRon Landry, drafted sixth overall by the Redskins.

Complete bull****. If Revis walked north and stood in front of the Foxboro FO and said, "I would like to play for you for a deal reasonably commensurate with my worth," Belichick would jump off of his little boat to sign him. The "Patriot Way" these days is trying to win football games with a mind thinking toward the future. Reading anymore into this is overthinking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    First rounder should be a pass rusher or a WR. Nothing else.
    If we take A WR in the first I will stab my eyes out with a compass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely disagree with revis and the pats who is to say revis would not take a pay cut to play in new england? I think if he went to foxoboro for a fa visit they would roll out the red carpet and he might be inclined to sign for less than he wants from the jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    If we take A WR in the first I will stab my eyes out with a compass.
    HA!! So true.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the Patriots already have their shutdown corner in Talib. He will be much easier to keep control of than Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

room.

Is he aware that if the Jets keep Revis and let him go next year, that he counts $9M against the cap in 2014, and the Jets get nothing in return (maybe the 97th pick)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    He couldn't be more wrong on Austin Howard and the OT's in this draft (also, McKinnie is a LT, Howard's a below average RT), but he's right re: Revis and New England. That marriage will NEVER happen. Miami though .. that I could definitely see.
    And u couldn't be more wrong, because Austin howard is a career LT playing out of position at RT and doing a solid job. Howard a 1st time starter at a position he never played before did a solid job while giving up a few sacks and he is a Jag . Ferguson a career LT gave up a ton last season and he was having an off year.

Just goes to show how players are looked at by some based on preconceived notions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    I completely disagree with revis and the pats who is to say revis would not take a pay cut to play in new england? I think if he went to foxoboro for a fa visit they would roll out the red carpet and he might be inclined to sign for less than he wants from the jets.
    Who is not to say? Revis, thats who.

Everything Revis has ever done is about top dollar. He held out twice in a three year period and said he'd hokd out again even with a long term deal.

There is absolutely no way in hell he is taking less money to play anywhere.

This isnt about signing for less than he is seeking from the Jets, its for less than anyone ekse would sign him. That is completely out of character for Revis AND his agents.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to strongly agree with this. Even with the ACL tear, how could you take less than what you paid? He's a proven commodity, draft picks are not. I agree with another poster who said somewhere else that the best plan would be to wait till after the draft and let people see how he's coming back and then trade for '14 picks, to really start building next year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Complete bull****. If Revis walked north and stood in front of the Foxboro FO and said, "I would like to play for you for a deal reasonably commensurate with my worth," Belichick would jump off of his little boat to sign him. The "Patriot Way" these days is trying to win football games with a mind thinking toward the future. Reading anymore into this is overthinking.
    As a Pats fan, I'm tired of the 'Patriot Way' meme.

It gets blown out of proportion and I'm sure their locker room is like plenty of other good locker rooms out there. The team is probably a little more intense about what to say when talking to the press than some teams *cough* Jets *cough* but otherwise it's not like there's a real 'Patriot Way'.

It's just fan service jerk off stuff at this point which leads to dumb posts on message boards about how a player would never do X if they believed in the Patriot Way.

The cognitive dissonance from people who love Gronk's antics and then get preachy about the "Patriot Way" is high comedy, though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    As a Pats fan, I'm tired of the 'Patriot Way' meme.

It gets blown out of proportion and I'm sure their locker room is like plenty of other good locker rooms out there. The team is probably a little more intense about what to say when talking to the press than some teams *cough* Jets *cough* but otherwise it's not like there's a real 'Patriot Way'.

It's just fan service jerk off stuff at this point which leads to dumb posts on message boards about how a player would never do X if they believed in the Patriot Way.

The cognitive dissonance from people who love Gronk's antics and then get preachy about the "Patriot Way" is high comedy, though.
    They are still the GOAT organization at dealing with malcontents. They singlehandedly resurrected Corey Dillon and Moss's careers. My basic takeaway is that Foxboro is a highly disciplined football environment where performance on the field trumps all other considerations, and that appeals to a lot of NFL guys, especially when it results in wins on the field.