Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-13?

3-13?

There's been a lot of talk about the Jets rebuilding this year and many even saying we're gonna be one of the worst teams in the league. The ESPN power rankings didn't help much either.

Now I'm fine with that if that's how things turn out. Few fun years and then ya gotta bite the bullet and rebuild occasionally. That's the beauty of the NFL.

Problem is, I just don't see it. This may annoy the Sanchez haters and those calling for a 3-13 season so we can draft a QB early, but I don't see why we're not right in the hunt again come December. Not 14-2 or anything, but 9 or 10 wins doesn't seem crazy.

Let's look at last year. Even with an absolutely disgraceful offense, I'm pretty sure we were still in the running come early December. This after what I think may have been the biggest turning point of the season. Not Revis or Holmes getting hurt, or the butt fumble... the Hill drop vs NE. (Don't wanna kill the kid. He's young and hopefully he rebounds. But that seemed like a big fork in the road to me.)

The offense can only get better. There really is no getting worse. I'll assume Sanchez is the starter. Even if his play/ability doesn't increase dramatically, the rest of the O will be improved. Which will raise QB play by default.

1. O line should be improved or at least on par.
    2. Receivers... considering we were fielding a squad of division 3 guys last year, this'll definitely be better. Holmes, Bray, Kerley, and Hill (hopefully improved) is light years ahead of what took the field most of last season.
    3. Coordinator. Any doubt if MM is an upgrade over Sparano? Think not.
    4. Questions remain at TE and RB, but Keller was hurt much of the season and while I liked Greene, he's hardly irreplaceable.
    5. Which leaves QB. As I said before, the QB play will improve just from the fact whoever is at QB will have some actual NFL level players around him. And I for one still haven't given up on Sanchez. This is his last year to prove himself and I know the guy has to toughen up, but I think he can have his best (not saying much) year this season.

Defense:

Well we lost a lot of guys. But was any of it unexpected? Even if we weren't rebuilding, they pretty much all had to go anyway.

1. Revis. If he stays, we have the best CBs in the league. If he leaves, we did pretty damn good w/o him last year. Cro is a beast.
    2. Safety is probably the biggest concern. Actually not sure of the plan here. But we knew Bell was old and Landry was just to expensive given our cap issues.
    3. D line. Wilk is awesome. Coples should only get better. I loved Pouha, but dude was hurt a lot. Losing Devito blows, but he's not a top tier guy. I'm thinking the line will play at least as well if not improve as Wilk and Coples gain experience.
    4. LBs. Harris is the man. Even if many of you don't agree or think he's overpaid, I doubt many will argue he's not at least a solid starter. Davis seems ready to step up. Losing Scott, Thomas and Pace certainly lowers our experience level and each of them played well in green. I just don't think it'll take much to replace their level of play last year. Pick up two more guys in the draft and/or FA and the LB corps led by Harris should be improved and faster.
    5. Coordinator. Rex is back calling plays. In what many believe will be a make or break year for him. I actually feel sorry for opposing QBs. If Rex goes out, he's gonna go out swinging.

So am I nuts? Or even during our "rebuilding", do we still have some hope for a decent season?

(Oh and please get Tebow off the team asap. That'd be another huge improvement.)

No you are right there is a lot of hope here.

OL will be better then last year
    WR will be better then last year
    OLB will be better
    ILB will be better
    QB will be better
    RB will be better

TE?
    DB?
    DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about the Jets rebuilding this year and many even saying we're gonna be one of the worst teams in the league. The ESPN power rankings didn't help much either.

Now I'm fine with that if that's how things turn out. Few fun years and then ya gotta bite the bullet and rebuild occasionally. That's the beauty of the NFL.

Problem is, I just don't see it. This may annoy the Sanchez haters and those calling for a 3-13 season so we can draft a QB early, but I don't see why we're not right in the hunt again come December. Not 14-2 or anything, but 9 or 10 wins doesn't seem crazy.

Let's look at last year. Even with an absolutely disgraceful offense, I'm pretty sure we were still in the running come early December. This after what I think may have been the biggest turning point of the season. Not Revis or Holmes getting hurt, or the butt fumble... the Hill drop vs NE. (Don't wanna kill the kid. He's young and hopefully he rebounds. But that seemed like a big fork in the road to me.)

The offense can only get better. There really is no getting worse. I'll assume Sanchez is the starter. Even if his play/ability doesn't increase dramatically, the rest of the O will be improved. Which will raise QB play by default.

2. Receivers... considering we were fielding a squad of division 3 guys last year, this'll definitely be better. Holmes, Bray, Kerley, and Hill (hopefully improved) is light years ahead of what took the field most of last season.
    4. Questions remain at TE and RB, but Keller was hurt much of the season and while I liked Greene, he's hardly irreplaceable.
    5. Which leaves QB. As I said before, the QB play will improve just from the fact whoever is at QB will have some actual NFL level players around him. And I for one still haven't given up on Sanchez. This is his last year to prove himself and I know the guy has to toughen up, but I think he can have his best (not saying much) year this season.

Defense:

Well we lost a lot of guys. But was any of it unexpected? Even if we weren't rebuilding, they pretty much all had to go anyway.

1. Revis. If he stays, we have the best CBs in the league. If he leaves, we did pretty damn good w/o him last year. Cro is a beast.
    2. Safety is probably the biggest concern. Actually not sure of the plan here. But we knew Bell was old and Landry was just to expensive given our cap issues.
    3. D line. Wilk is awesome. Coples should only get better. I loved Pouha, but dude was hurt a lot. Losing Devito blows, but he's not a top tier guy. I'm thinking the line will play at least as well if not improve as Wilk and Coples gain experience.
    4. LBs. Harris is the man. Even if many of you don't agree or think he's overpaid, I doubt many will argue he's not at least a solid starter. Davis seems ready to step up. Losing Scott, Thomas and Pace certainly lowers our experience level and each of them played well in green. I just don't think it'll take much to replace their level of play last year. Pick up two more guys in the draft and/or FA and the LB corps led by Harris should be improved and faster.
    5. Coordinator. Rex is back calling plays. In what many believe will be a make or break year for him. I actually feel sorry for opposing QBs. If Rex goes out, he's gonna go out swinging.

So am I nuts? Or even during our "rebuilding", do we still have some hope for a decent season?

(Oh and please get Tebow off the team asap. That'd be another huge improvement.)
    Good post, with a good D and average O anything can happen. If we keep Revis, we have two shut down Corners to counteract our inability to score... Its the NFL, things can change very quickly, esp if key players on other teams go down. Buff has no QB, Miami has basically no QB and a overpriced WR and of course NE is what they are, a good team getting older...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    No you are right there is a lot of hope here.

OL will be better then last year
    WR will be better then last year
    OLB will be better
    ILB will be better
    QB will be better
    RB will be better

TE?
    DB?
    DL?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Good post, with a good D and average O anything can happen. If we keep Revis, we have two shut down Corners to counteract our inability to score... Its the NFL, things can change very quickly, esp if key players on other teams go down. Buff has no QB, Miami has basically no QB and a overpriced WR and of course NE is what they are, a good team getting older...
    Good to hear. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a homer. Couldn't see what was so horrible about this team vs last year and why it actually couldn't improve.

Dreamers, while there are questions with Revis and at TE. We played great at corner last year w/o 24, so I wouldn't expect much of a drop off there. And Keller was either out or playing hurt most of the season I believe. Not saying we're definitely going to improve there, but it doesn't seem like it'll take much.

Good to hear. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a homer. Couldn't see what was so horrible about this team vs last year and why it actually couldn't improve.

Dreamers, while there are questions with Revis and at TE. We played great at corner last year w/o 24, so I wouldn't expect much of a drop off there. And Keller was either out or playing hurt most of the season I believe. Not saying we're definitely going to improve there, but it doesn't seem like it'll take much.
    With DB it is more a matter of the Ss. Bell I don't think will effect and people over rated Landry but that could still yet go either way IMO. CB wise I think we will improve on what we saw last year. Revis back or not. Hard to say as our DB where still top of the game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    With DB it is more a matter of the Ss. Bell I don't think will effect and people over rated Landry but that could still yet go either way IMO. CB wise I think we will improve on what we saw last year. Revis back or not. Hard to say as our DB where still top of the game IMO.
    Got ya. Assumed you were just referring to the CBs. Yeah safety is definitely the biggest worry I have (DT next). Hopefully they can come up with something.

How are we so sure the OL will be better? Won't we be having 2 new starters?? Takes time for that to come together.

And at WR/TE, I still think isn't that great. Just lots of question marks. Will Hill improve? Will Holmes be healthy? Can Cumberland stay healthy? Kerley is the only real reliable guy.

And well QB, we just have to pray MM can do something Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    How are we so sure the OL will be better? Won't we be having 2 new starters?? Takes time for that to come together.

And at WR/TE, I still think isn't that great. Just lots of question marks. Will Hill improve? Will Holmes be healthy? Can Cumberland stay healthy? Kerley is the only real reliable guy.

Slauson was one of the worst Gs in the league last year. Colon IMO makes up for loosing Moore. Moore was still good but was aging. Colon is in his prime. RT well I dont think much of Howard but a full camp with OTAs as the starter should help. He will look better but I'm not expecting much more. I just dont think Slauson will be hard to replace is all. Vlad looked better last year. Either way a full camp with all of them healthy right out of the bat is a good sign. Remember DBrick still had healthy questions going into last year.

Yeah like bench him.

No real guarantee that we will be better, but Howard has a year under his belt. Slausson is drawing zero interest so pretty much anyone we replace him with should be at least as good. And i would assume we will land a guard in the top end of the draft.

Well the addition of a healthy Holmes helps (assuming health). If we keep BE, that helps. Hill will have a year under his belt. Last offseason he had to acclimate to the NFL, this offseason he can spend more time suring up his hands.
    Remember there was a point last year where we "trying to make a playoff run" and our WRs were clyde gates/Chaz schillens/M Gillyard and Kerley with kerley being the only NFL caliber option.

As for TE, we can't be worse since Keller was out or hurt all of last year. Even if we JUST have Cumberland we are the same as last year.

This is the million dollar question. Whether we improved all around, or not, is not going to matter if our QB position continues to get zero/negative production.

Sure, but replacing two guys that were beginning to decline when you have some of the best next to 'em in Mangold and Brick seems like a smart move. Regardless of cap or rebuilding scenarios. Is it 100% it'll be improved? No, but I definitely don't mind the moves and I'd say it's probable the Oline will benefit from the moves.

Agreed. Somewhat. Sure we don't know if the WR crops or TE will be great. But it will undoubtedly be improved.

It was sickening seeing the level of receiving weapons that were on the field most of last season. Kerley is good, but at 3. Not 1 or 2 (yet anyways). And it was too early to rely on Hill like that. I'm just figuring on what we have on the roster currently, and barring another huge injury, it's a hell of a lot better. Besides, I'm guessing we'll probably add another option through FA or the draft.

I think Keller is good, but again he was out or hurt most of last season. So it's not like we're taking a hit however things work out.

Yup.
    Last edited by Mike135; 03-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.

6 wins def. Maybe 7. Please observe the schedule. Tougher this year - both the AFC and NFC teams.
    QB stinks. RBs? TE? Redone OL.
    Safety? OLB (not better, newer). DL depth?

Revis? I have no idea if he has or will recover. He has shown what indication? Comparison: Marcus Lattimore of USC injured his knee and had surgery in a similar time to Revis. He indicated there is an outside chance he MAY be available for LIMITED action in September.
    RB is a MUCH easier and less demanding position than CB.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    6 wins def. Maybe 7. Please observe the schedule. Tougher this year - both the AFC and NFC teams.

Revis? I have no idea if he has or will recover. He has shown what indication? Comparison: Marcus Lattimore of USC injured his knee and had surgery in a similar time to Revis. He indicated there is an outside chance he MAY be available for LIMITED action in September.
    Are you comparing Lattimore's injury to Revis?

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post

I can't tell if there is sarcasm here or not ... Hhahahaha.

All League
    Agree with most except that i am not sure QB play will improve by default. Rather, I say, QB play is key. The team will go as the QB goes.

All Pro
    Offense
    ======
    OL - I think by the end of the season our O Line has a chance to be better, but with 2 out of 5 new starters (unless we re-sign Slauson?) will take time to get together, regardless of the talent. Plus, I think we're moving back to zone blocking rather than man, which may take an adjustment period. Again, last year our line was better by season's end compared to the start, due to Sparano's scheme changes

WR - better if Holmes is healthy, marginal difference if not. Again, might be a slow start if they play safe with Holmes

TE - wash (Cumberland vs. Cumberland). Hopefully some new talent will be added, but again there's the learning curve

RB - keen to see Powell get more time, I thought he played well as the season went on - but that may be a factor of the O line too. However he has better hands out the backfield, and Goodson / McKnight are options too. Depends a lot on ...

OC - definite upgrade before a ball has been snapped. That's how bad Sparano sucked.

QB - the ultimate factor ... we'll only do as well as the QB does. Even just limiting the stupid turnovers would be a huge plus, any improvement in accuracy would be gravy

Overall I think our O will struggle early but may come good later in the season. However, early struggles may demand a QB switch, which would have a major impact too.

Defense
    ======

DL - must solidify the middle - we need Ellis to step up. Last year we got run at a lot due to problems there. I expect Wilk & Coples to both improve on a good 2012

LB - lots of turnover, lots of additions to make, so tough to say how this unit will look. Based on last year it shouldn't take much to improve, though getting to the QB is still a huge question mark

DB - Safety is still a BIG hole; CB unsettled till we know about Revis. If our front 7 does a better job against the run our DB's could get exposed, esp. if we start Wilson all year. Last year's stats were biased by the fact teams could run on us effectively

Specials
    ======
    Same personnel at P / K, which is good; return jobs tbc; main issue last year was turnovers at key moments. Cut those out and ST's should be a strength again

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It isn't that easy new players aren't proven yet, O has to learn another system again, other teams have improved also this is most likely a 2-3 year process and 75% of it revolves around the QB.

All Pro

Defense:

I agree. I'm tired of hearing how many players we lost. We didn't lose them. We know where they are, and most of them are at home on the couch. Ellis, and Garay are a big improvement over what we got from Pouha, and Devito last year. Barnes, and #9 pick, are a big improvement over Pace, and Thomas. Don't worry about safety. This is a very deep year for safeties in FA and the draft, plus the two we got last year. The fact is that every position we need, except QB is deep in this draft. Garard isn't bad if he stays healthy, and he, and whoever else we get can only be helped by the switch to MM, and Lee, over Spaz, and Cav. Don't let these people get to you. It's going to be an interesting year. A lot of youth, and potential, and we should improve as the year goes by.

There is still so much yet to be determined. Free agents still to sign, Revis, draft picks, Holmes health and a lot of competition at key positions.

With that said, I would agree this years team will be better last years team - how much better will depend on a lot of the variables mentioned above
    Last edited by fidelioion; 03-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Well , I really want to wait and see what they do for the rest of FA and the draft, but here's my thinking on this:

There's a very thin line between the good teams and bad teams in todays NFL. Teams go from worst to first and vice versa all the time.

I'm thinking (like you) that they will focus on improving the OL, and by result the running game. I do believe they'll invest their 1st rounder on an OLB. I am assuming and hoping that their yield of contributing players via the draft will really work out for them this season. Just call it optimism with nothing really factual to back it up. They'll improve the ST's just based on a couple of player additions from the scrap heap.

When it is all said and done, I think they will still be good enough to sneak into the playoffs. A very good defense and a potent running game is a recipe to get a lot of wins. JMO.

Jets will have more than 3 wins.

I actually think we surprise a lot of people this year.

We'll see, won't we