Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Idzik, I like his approach thus far.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Thumbs up John Idzik, I like his approach thus far.....

There obviously is still a huge mountain to climb and the draft and the rest of this off-season will be the first real, complete, sample he gets judged by. However, I like what he is doing thus far, case in point:

Izdik is not putting himself in a position to eat shoe-leather, nor is he being bullied by the media the way that Mike Tannenbaum always was. Izdik has been very tight-lipped & cautious in dealing with the media. In turn, the media is doing what they usually do and fabricating alot of their own stories about the Jets as far as the team's intentions with free agents, as well as the draft. In my opinion, this is already a small victory for the Jets front office and hopefully an indication of things to come. I also believe Rex Ryan's silence in the media as of late is a direct result of Izdik's presence.

Izdik has already made some of the necessary moves to get the Jets about 8 million under the cap and can get under even further by restructuring a few other deals. This was not rocket science, but, it shows that he is on the right track as far as managing the mess of a salary cap that he inherited. The funny thing is, you still constantly hear about the Jets CAP situation, when there are several other teams that are in far worse CAP situations, like the Steelers for example.

These are just a few small observations of the Jets new GM thus far, but, they are positive ones none the less and reasons for Jets fans to be at least somewhat optimistic about the future of the Jets under GM John Izdik's tenure.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Veteran
    So far he flies under the radar. Very unlikely for a Jets GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree his low key approach is desperately needed. I'm impressed with his approach so far.
    Last edited by RMJK; 03-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.

whats his approach?

his cuts were no brainers.

signing arena league and cfl players?

my guess hes so dumbfounded by the situation this organization is in he doesnt know what to do.

To this point he has done nothing that any person would not have done. Many JI posters called the moves two months ago.
    He has a clean slate. I can not say anything positive or negative until after the draft. He may be good or not.
    Rex, however, is on thin ice, having degraded a decent team given to him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    whats his approach?

his cuts were no brainers.

signing arena league and cfl players?

my guess hes so dumbfounded by the situation this organization is in he doesnt know what to do.
    His plan is to get through 2013 with low cost JAGs and rentals, taking another year off of the bloated salaries he inherited. Not at all worried about winning this year, end up with a crappy record = good draft position, and a reason to get rid of Rex at the end of the season. Bring in his new guy, use draft picks and cap space breathing room, and start building a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    To this point he has done nothing that any person would not have done. Many JI posters called the moves two months ago.
    He has a clean slate. I can not say anything positive or negative until after the draft. He may be good or not.
    Rex, however, is on thin ice, having degraded a decent team given to him.
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    His plan is to get through 2013 with low cost JAGs and rentals, taking another year off of the bloated salaries he inherited. Not at all worried about winning this year, end up with a crappy record = good draft position, and a reason to get rid of Rex at the end of the season. Bring in his new guy, use draft picks and cap space breathing room, and start building a contender.
    just dont see the jets laying down this season as many say they will. many with psls on are on the ledge and woody has a stadium to fill.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sounds like you should be working for the media too.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Sounds like you should be working for the media too.
    why because i speculated on his reasoning and his approach thus far.

john idzik may soon be called john idiot if he doesnt make drastic changes here.

While we are still early in the offseason, the new league year doesn't even begin till 3/12, Idzik seems to have brought an air of professionalism back to the franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

john idzik may soon be called john idiot if he doesnt make drastic changes here.
    What FACTUAL basis do you have to make that statement - or your previous statement in your other post for that matter?

Sounds like you just want to keep throwing sh!t on the wall with the hopes that something sticks.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I hope this really is the plan, but knowing our headline/back page loving owner I don't feel overly optimistic.

Only out of ignorance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darook View Post
    I hope this really is the plan, but knowing our headline/back page loving owner I don't feel overly optimistic.
    If Woody Johnson brought Idzik into this mess with a "win now" edict, he's even more of a shortsighted idiot than we already know he is.

My opinion on Idzik will hinge initially on how he handles Revis. The smart move would be to trade him after this draft and sometime later in the summer when he will be healthier and have greater value. The biggest benefit will be receiving high draft pick compensation for the 2014 draft where there will be some franchise altering prospects potentially at the QB position.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darook View Post
    Well the big headline stealing move last season - which was credited to Woody Johnson by almost everybody - including the media, was actually owned up to by Tannenbaum after he was canned.

Point being If Woody trusts Izdik to run his team (which he does or he wouldn't have hired him) he will step back and let Izdik run the show as the GM of the Jets.

What FACTUAL basis do you have to make that statement - or your previous statement in your other post for that matter?

Sounds like you just want to keep throwing sh!t on the wall with the hopes that something sticks.
    time will tell, my statement is based on future happenings. so far hes done nothing monumental. we all predicted the slugs he cut. lets see how he handles revis,holmes and sanchez and see how he does in the draft.

idzik can surely be idiot when all the smoke clears, i hope not but a possiility.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

time will tell, my statement is based on future happenings.
    So your statements are based on things that haven't happened yet.

Gotcha.

There obviously is still a huge mountain to climb and the draft and the rest of this off-season will be the first real, complete, sample he gets judged by. However, I like what he is doing thus far, case in point:

Izdik is not putting himself in a position to eat shoe-leather, nor is he being bullied by the media the way that Mike Tannenbaum always was. Izdik has been very tight-lipped & cautious in dealing with the media. In turn, the media is doing what they usually do and fabricating alot of their own stories about the Jets as far as the team's intentions with free agents, as well as the draft. In my opinion, this is already a small victory for the Jets front office and hopefully an indication of things to come. I also believe Rex Ryan's silence in the media as of late is a direct result of Izdik's presence.

Izdik has already made some of the necessary moves to get the Jets about 8 million under the cap and can get under even further by restructuring a few other deals. This was not rocket science, but, it shows that he is on the right track as far as managing the mess of a salary cap that he inherited. The funny thing is, you still constantly hear about the Jets CAP situation, when there are several other teams that are in far worse CAP situations, like the Steelers for example.

These are just a few small observations of the Jets new GM thus far, but, they are positive ones none the less and reasons for Jets fans to be at least somewhat optimistic about the future of the Jets under GM John Izdik's tenure.
    I agree 100% Arod. Many people wanted to assassinate the guy just as soon as he was hired, but it is the long haul that will tell the story about Idzik.

Also, the first thing he ever mentioned in his press conference was competition will rule the team, especially at QB. That was music to my ears. It's the best way to run any football team IMO. It's things like that which make me think we could finally have a good FO.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree 100% Arod. Many people wanted to assassinate the guy just as soon as he was hired, but it is the long haul that will tell the story about Idzik.

Also, the first thing he ever mentioned in his press conference was competition will rule the team, especially at QB. That was music to my ears. It's the best way to run any football team IMO. It's things like that which make me think we could finally have a good FO.
    In all honesty Maine, I think bringing a GM in from outside the organization was the best move that Woody could have made.

Fresh eyes, and fresh perspective of a man that has been successful everywhere he has been.