Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Why Cant we Afford Revis?

  1. #1

    Why Cant we Afford Revis?

    There has been a lot of talk about Revis’ contract demands and how we have bad contracts on the team already and don’t want to pay a CB “QB or PassRusher” money, but I think there is more to the salary fit then simply “we shouldn’t pay $16 million a year for a CB”

    “Premium” positions are obviously QB, Passrusher and LT” and then after that CB is not far behind and could easily be considered 4th. So why not look at what we have invested in those first 3 positions and then see what we can afford to pay Revis.

    1. QB – Whether we trade for Matt Flynn, Foles or draft Barkley/Nassib/Geno etc, only Flynn could command more then $5million a year over the next 5 years (and he would have to come in and really be great to get a new deal – which would be a good problem t have). All the other guys will be on rookie deals for all of the seasons where Revis would be paid huge money. So basically, as far as Cap Dollars, we aren’t doing to be paying a “Franchsie QB” for the next 5 years.

    2. LT – Brick is signed to a very fair contract that lasts through 2016 with little to no dead money after next season if we ever needed to release him. He is a top 10 LT, who doesn’t have a bad injury history. Basically we do not need to worry about a massive signing bonus/bad contract at this position.

    3. Pass Rusher – Wilkerson and Coples, are not eligible for FA until 2015 and 2016 respectively and given our defense, probably wont be double digit sack players who will command Mario Williams type salary numbers. Hoepfully we find our speed rusher in this draft, but again, even if we find the next Aldon Smith, he wont need to be paid “edge rusher” money until 2017.

    There is also the argument that we don’t want too high of a cap % tied up in 1 position in CB, but Cro’s can be released after 2013, and save $9.5 million cap dollars with only $1.5 in dead money. While I don’t want to outright release him, he would be a good candidate to restructure.

    Lastly, Harris, Holmes and Sanchez, our three worst contracts, can all come off the books after 2013 with little ramifications to the cap and probably to the team’s play on the field.

    So basically, why cant we afford $15 million a year over the next 4 years to the top CB on the market. Who exactly are we saving this money for?

    If we need more draft picks and get a great deal for revis that’s a strategy I understand. If we don’t like his holding out or worry about his knee then ok I get that too. But to say we cant afford to pay a CB $15 a year, the then FO needs to ask themselves who ARE we gonna pay if we don’t pay Revis????

  2. #2
    Did you somehow forget that the Jets ARE paying franchise money at QB and WR already ??. 2013 is an I possible year to sign Revis.

    Plus we would never release Cro ... If anything we would trade him based on his performance last year.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 AM.

  3. #3
    Truth is we can, but we won't be able to afford much else after that.

    We'll release other players, and it will affect us down the road when dealing with Wilkinson, etc.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Did you somehow forget that the Jets ARE paying franchise money at QB and WR already ??. 2013 is an I possible year to sign Revis.

    Plus we would never release Cro ... If anything we would trade him based on his performance last year.
    Last I checked, Revis is UNDER CONTRACT in 2013. Any contract would be an EXTEMSION.

  5. #5
    The one thing that I continue to see is this:

    If another team can afford to pay Revis market value, WHY CAN'T WE?

    The last I checxked we still have the absolute same salary cap as everyone else. If he hit the open market someone would certainly overpay him, but we do not have that problem right now. We can negotiate and keep him here long term. And besides, this team isn't doing anything this season anyway. Everyone continues to maintain that the Jets are looking at 2014 at the earliest that they'd be back in contention, so why not field the best team that we can field this season while signing Revis long term and look at 2014 as the objective to start getting back into SB talk?

  6. #6
    We can afford to pay Revis. With the releases of Holmes and Sanchez after the 2013 season the Jets will have just $70 million of the 2014 salary cap tied up and you figure the cap will be at least $123 million, if not more.

    He is affordable.

    The question is is it smart business to pay a CB $16+ million per season when it's not even a Top 5 priority position on a team.

    The Ravens lost their stud CB, Laderius Webb, considered by many as a Top 5 or at least Top 10 CB, in October and they "only" went on to win the Super Bowl. Yes, I know, we don't have a team like the Ravens right now, but if you draft the way and pick up a handful of INTELLIGENT free agents, we could have a team like that one day.

    Who was the #1 CB on the Giants? Corey Webster? The Packers? Tramon Williams? The Steelers? Ike Taylor.

    See where I'm going with this?

    The days of a Deion Sanders carrying a team to a championship are long gone. That NFL disappeared after the Ty Law Rules took into effect. They're nice to have, but not a necessity. Not at all. Cromartie as the #1 is better than all of the past six or seven Super Bowl Champions' #1 CB, and that's the truth.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    We can afford to pay Revis. With the releases of Holmes and Sanchez after the 2013 season the Jets will have just $70 million of the 2014 salary cap tied up and you figure the cap will be at least $123 million, if not more.

    He is affordable.

    The question is is it smart business to pay a CB $16+ million per season when it's not even a Top 5 priority position on a team.

    The Ravens lost their stud CB, Laderius Webb, considered by many as a Top 5 or at least Top 10 CB, in October and they "only" went on to win the Super Bowl. Yes, I know, we don't have a team like the Ravens right now, but if you draft the way and pick up a handful of INTELLIGENT free agents, we could have a team like that one day.

    Who was the #1 CB on the Giants? Corey Webster? The Packers? Tramon Williams? The Steelers? Ike Taylor.

    See where I'm going with this?

    The days of a Deion Sanders carrying a team to a championship are long gone. That NFL disappeared after the Ty Law Rules took into effect. They're nice to have, but not a necessity. Not at all. Cromartie as the #1 is better than all of the past six or seven Super Bowl Champions' #1 CB, and that's the truth.
    I agree with this premise as a whole, but when you look at this particular situation I think we have to factor in who we ARE gonna wind up paying.

    Is it prudent to be $30 million under the cap wtihout revis or to be right up against it with him?

    You dont need a top tier CB to win, that is a fact, but we dont have a pass rusher or QB to pay, so who would get this money? Are we gonna sign a FA pass rusher in 2014, because the success rate of doing that is very poor.

    If we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I agree with this premise as a whole, but when you look at this particular situation I think we have to factor in who we ARE gonna wind up paying.

    Is it prudent to be $30 million under the cap wtihout revis or to be right up against it with him?

    You dont need a top tier CB to win, that is a fact, but we dont have a pass rusher or QB to pay, so who would get this money? Are we gonna sign a FA pass rusher in 2014, because the success rate of doing that is very poor.

    If we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?
    More likely than not we'll be moving up or trying to move up in order to select Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel for QB.

    Re-signing Muhammad Wilkerson after three years would be a wise move.

    Other than that it's tough to say because we don't know what the roster will look like or what some young players (Hill) may or may not develop into.

    Some name 2014 free agents include: Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Ben Tate, Maurice Jones-Drew, Percy Harvin, Jacoby Jones, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jermichael Finley, Greg Olsen, Michael Oher, Jared Allen, Brian Orakpo, Tim Jennings, Charles Tillman, Corey Webster, Donte Whitner.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    More likely than not we'll be moving up or trying to move up in order to select Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel for QB.

    Re-signing Muhammad Wilkerson after three years would be a wise move.

    Other than that it's tough to say because we don't know what the roster will look like or what some young players (Hill) may or may not develop into.

    Some name 2014 free agents include: Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Ben Tate, Maurice Jones-Drew, Percy Harvin, Jacoby Jones, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jermichael Finley, Greg Olsen, Michael Oher, Jared Allen, Brian Orakpo, Tim Jennings, Charles Tillman, Corey Webster, Donte Whitner.
    If we did move up for a QB, we wouldnt need to pay top $ for the QB. Now we might have to give up draft picks and in turn fill those holes with FAs, but thats tough to forecast.

    That FA list is, IMO, completely devoid of top tier FAs. Nicks is great but injury prone. Other then Orakpo, there isnt a single desirable player on that list when you factor in age and cost.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If we did move up for a QB, we wouldnt need to pay top $ for the QB. Now we might have to give up draft picks and in turn fill those holes with FAs, but thats tough to forecast.

    That FA list is, IMO, completely devoid of top tier FAs. Nicks is great but injury prone. Other then Orakpo, there isnt a single desirable player on that list when you factor in age and cost.
    Depending on what happens with our RB situation, Ben Tate would be a legitimate FA target. He's young and has very little wear and tear.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Depending on what happens with our RB situation, Ben Tate would be a legitimate FA target. He's young and has very little wear and tear.
    I work with a family member of his. He says he's happy in Houston, but wouldn't mind a starting role if the $ was right.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I work with a family member of his. He says he's happy in Houston, but wouldn't mind a starting role if the $ was right.
    I'm sure he'll be be fielding quite a few phone calls a year from now.

    He'll turn 26 next August and was awesome in 2011 filling in for Foster.

    He could very well be the No.1 FA on the market.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The one thing that I continue to see is this:

    If another team can afford to pay Revis market value, WHY CAN'T WE?

    The last I checxked we still have the absolute same salary cap as everyone else. If he hit the open market someone would certainly overpay him, but we do not have that problem right now. We can negotiate and keep him here long term. And besides, this team isn't doing anything this season anyway. Everyone continues to maintain that the Jets are looking at 2014 at the earliest that they'd be back in contention, so why not field the best team that we can field this season while signing Revis long term and look at 2014 as the objective to start getting back into SB talk?
    Because of existing bad contracts that have handcuffed us.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,747
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I agree with this premise as a whole, but when you look at this particular situation I think we have to factor in who we ARE gonna wind up paying.

    Is it prudent to be $30 million under the cap wtihout revis or to be right up against it with him?

    You dont need a top tier CB to win, that is a fact, but we dont have a pass rusher or QB to pay, so who would get this money? Are we gonna sign a FA pass rusher in 2014, because the success rate of doing that is very poor.

    If we dont pay revis, who are we gonna pay?
    I think paying Revis just because there is no one else to pay would be a mistake. One of the biggest issues with Revis aside from all the money he wants, is that he is never happy for more than a couple years with his contract, and you have to re-visit his situation every couple years. Plus, its not like he is some great leader in the locker room either.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 03-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

  15. #15
    I'm sure the front office has a plan and all of this is taken into account. Perhaps they want to play three players 5 million instead of one 15? Right or wrong the play of our CB's last year lessens the urgency for Revis (though kyle wilsons season as an aberration, he got beat alot the other team just did not catch the ball.)

  16. #16
    It's a good question. But I think the answer lies very simply in the fact that this has been a terrible drafting team (on the whole) since '07.

    The fact that they've missed on so many picks has left the team with more holes than they can afford to replace while having their CB tandem combine for over 20+ mil a year. Had they been able to fill some of those gaping holes with solid picks instead of either trading away or outright missing (as good teams do), then maybe we're having a different discussion right now.

  17. #17
    The jets can sign Revis there is no doubt about that. They will have more cap room than 90% of the teams and they wont have a qb taking up 10% or more of the cap. This is based on 6 years 78 mill with 42 guaranteed. .The jets give Revis an extension of 3 years. and a 20 mill SB to be paid the first day of the league year. This makes Revis the highest paid DB in the league and top 4 defensive player. He gets the deal done while he is still rehabbing so the jets get a 10% discount

    2014 20mill SB
    2014 3M old bonus, 3.5 new bonus and 4 mill salary fully guaranteed
    2015 3M old bonus, 3.5 new bonus and 8 mill salary fully guaranteed
    2016 3M old bonus, 3.5 new bonus and 8 mill salary
    2017 10mill SB, guranteed
    2017 6.8 new bonus and 9 mill salary
    2018 6.8 new bonus and 9 mill salary
    2019 6.8 new bonus and 9 mill salary

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    It's a good question. But I think the answer lies very simply in the fact that this has been a terrible drafting team (on the whole) since '07.

    The fact that they've missed on so many picks has left the team with more holes than they can afford to replace while having their CB tandem combine for over 20+ mil a year. Had they been able to fill some of those gaping holes with solid picks instead of either trading away or outright missing (as good teams do), then maybe we're having a different discussion right now.
    I completely disagree that we have been a terible drafting team. We have traded away too many picks and did not have a clear vision of how what we were trying to accomplish, but poor drafting is not the case.

    We missed on gholston (HUGELY) and vlad,and wasted a pick on connor but coples, wilkerson, kerley, slauson, and mcknight have all contributed, epsecially when you factor in the rounds they were selected in.

    Then we have high ceiling developmental players in Ellis and Hill, and promising players like davis who we are still waiting to see what we have.

    Unfortunately our biggest gamble, drafting our franchise QB, is the one that didnt work out.

    No team hits on every pick and we have not been as bad as advertised with the players we have actually selected.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Because of existing bad contracts that have handcuffed us.
    But as has already been mentioned in this thread, we have this season to worry about with bad contracts. Those contracts come off the books after this season. So why can't we sign him to a smaller salary THIS season that really gets amped up after 2013? I don't believe there is anything keeping us from doing that. That's obviously assuming Revis signs off on it, but I can't see any reason why he wouldn't. Revis has already said he likes playing for Rex Ryan and the Jets and would like to stay if possible. In the end, he'd likely still be getting market value for his services.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I completely disagree that we have been a terible drafting team. We have traded away too many picks and did not have a clear vision of how what we were trying to accomplish, but poor drafting is not the case.

    We missed on gholston (HUGELY) and vlad,and wasted a pick on connor but coples, wilkerson, kerley, slauson, and mcknight have all contributed, epsecially when you factor in the rounds they were selected in.

    Then we have high ceiling developmental players in Ellis and Hill, and promising players like davis who we are still waiting to see what we have.

    Unfortunately our biggest gamble, drafting our franchise QB, is the one that didnt work out.

    No team hits on every pick and we have not been as bad as advertised with the players we have actually selected.
    From that angle, "terrible" might have been too strong. Maybe it's better to say that the Jets have been unable to solidify any positions with the drafting that's been done since '07.

    Wilkerson and Coples are the only two players that are sure to be on the '13 roster that have nailed down a starting role, if you assume Greene, Slauson and Keller are gone. If you only produce two starters out of 5 consecutive straight drafts, it's gonna be difficult to spend a ton of money at the CB position.

    Yes, most of that is because so many picks were traded away, but no matter how you look at it, the draft crops from '08 through '12 are (IMO) the reason why it isn't reasonable to lock up Revis long term. The Jets don't have low-money guys manning the other positions effectively.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us