Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Cant we Afford Revis?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    From that angle, "terrible" might have been too strong. Maybe it's better to say that the Jets have been unable to solidify any positions with the drafting that's been done since '07.

Wilkerson and Coples are the only two players that are sure to be on the '13 roster that have nailed down a starting role, if you assume Greene, Slauson and Keller are gone. If you only produce two starters out of 5 consecutive straight drafts, it's gonna be difficult to spend a ton of money at the CB position.

Yes, most of that is because so many picks were traded away, but no matter how you look at it, the draft crops from '08 through '12 are (IMO) the reason why it isn't reasonable to lock up Revis long term. The Jets don't have low-money guys manning the other positions effectively.
    There are two picks that are really responsible for the perception that the Jets are a bad drafting team. The Gholston pick and the Sanchez pick. They were both top 10 picks at arguably the two most important positions on the team. If both those guys were the players they were thought to be when drafted, then this franchise would be in much better shape. They didnt work out, it happens. Missing on top 10 picks hurts a lot more than missing on late first round picks, that why it is imperative that Idzik gets a guy at #9 this year that ends up being a solid starter for seasons to come.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    But as has already been mentioned in this thread, we have this season to worry about with bad contracts. Those contracts come off the books after this season. So why can't we sign him to a smaller salary THIS season that really gets amped up after 2013? I don't believe there is anything keeping us from doing that. That's obviously assuming Revis signs off on it, but I can't see any reason why he wouldn't. Revis has already said he likes playing for Rex Ryan and the Jets and would like to stay if possible. In the end, he'd likely still be getting market value for his services.
    As i pointed out, you can keep him without touching this years cap number. you can even reduce it by adding more to nex years SB

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    From that angle, "terrible" might have been too strong. Maybe it's better to say that the Jets have been unable to solidify any positions with the drafting that's been done since '07.

Wilkerson and Coples are the only two players that are sure to be on the '13 roster that have nailed down a starting role, if you assume Greene, Slauson and Keller are gone. If you only produce two starters out of 5 consecutive straight drafts, it's gonna be difficult to spend a ton of money at the CB position.

Yes, most of that is because so many picks were traded away, but no matter how you look at it, the draft crops from '08 through '12 are (IMO) the reason why it isn't reasonable to lock up Revis long term. The Jets don't have low-money guys manning the other positions effectively.
    You don't think Kerley,Hill,Ellis,Davis,Powell or McKnight have a chance?? Hell add Bush and Allen to the list of possibles..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You don't think Kerley,Hill,Ellis,Davis,Powell or McKnight have a chance?? Hell add Bush and Allen to the list of possibles..
    If Revis is traded, Wilson starts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying that players drafted that become too expensive to keep are bad draft picks? You can't count last year's players, because we don't know how many starters there will be, and Ellis, and DD will start this year, along with probably Hill, and Powell. We missed on Sanchez, Gholston, and to a lesser extent Wilson. All first round picks which I imagine is where Tanny spent most of his time, and had the most influence over. Tanny is gone now so we start over. Still paying a CB 15% of your cap is a pretty stupid thing to do even if we have the money. It's not like he'll take a 3 year contract or anything so we'll be stuck with him when hopefully we'll need that money to pay a franchise QB, an edge rusher, a WR, Coples, and Wilkerson. Look at the teams that win SBs and those are the elite players they have. Show me the list of CB SB MVPs.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    All good points. I'd front-load a Revis deal the same way his last one was. I'd actually front-load it to a ridiculous extent. Big SB, big 2014 and 2015 cap numbers (I mean up to $20 million big) , high overall guarantee number. But give yourself some flexibility 2016 and in the out-years by making the cap number manageable and Revis potentially cuttable ($6-$7mm conceivable?). If Revis returns to elite form, then from his / his agents' POV, it gives a 30-31-year-old Revis a chance to hold out in 2016 to try and squeeze a couple more years of peak money. If he is slipping, he's cuttable.

Basically, give him the Mario Williams deal, but reverse it.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...3DE&Team=Bills

Admittedly, I'm not deep enough on CBA and contract conventions to know how flipping the Williams deal would affect Jets' ability to minimize dead money hits in the out-years.
    Last edited by Tackleem; 03-04-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Truth is we can, but we won't be able to afford much else after that.

We'll release other players, and it will affect us down the road when dealing with Wilkinson, etc.
    Absolutely agree. Besides if we can get ample picks for him we can get well much faster!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Never said they didn't have a chance, just that they aren't going into the season as an unquestioned starter (maybe Powell would be).

That post almost makes my point - with all of those areas still in flux (not to mention QB, TE, & OL), how can the team afford to tie up cap money in a player at the one position where the team actually has viable starters?

If trading Revis means getting two additional picks along with the ability to sign Landry, Keller & another mid-level free agent, that's can be viewed as getting 4 or 5 players for the price of one. That just seems to be the best fit for THIS team, since they've done such a poor job of filling out the roster the past few years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    All good points. I'd front-load a Revis deal the same way his last one was. I'd actually front-load it to a ridiculous extent. Big SB, big 2014 and 2015 cap numbers (I mean up to $20 million big) , high overall guarantee number. But give yourself some flexibility 2016 and in the out-years by making the cap number manageable and Revis potentially cuttable ($6-$7mm conceivable?). If Revis returns to elite form, then from his / his agents' POV, it gives a 30-31-year-old Revis a chance to hold out in 2016 to try and squeeze a couple more years of peak money. If he is slipping, he's cuttable.

Basically, give him the Mario Williams deal, but reverse it.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...3DE&Team=Bills

Admittedly, I'm not deep enough on CBA and contract conventions to know how flipping the Williams deal would affect Jets' ability to minimize dead money hits in the out-years.
    You cant front load Revis' contract because when you get to the year that his salary dips he will threaten to hold out. All you are doing is grossly over paying for those first 3 years and then have to re-visit his contract again and then pay him a huge signing bonus all over again..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never said they didn't have a chance, just that they aren't going into the season as an unquestioned starter (maybe Powell would be).

That post almost makes my point - with all of those areas still in flux (not to mention QB, TE, & OL), how can the team afford to tie up cap money in a player at the one position where the team actually has viable starters?

If trading Revis means getting two additional picks along with the ability to sign Landry, Keller & another mid-level free agent, that's can be viewed as getting 4 or 5 players for the price of one. That just seems to be the best fit for THIS team, since they've done such a poor job of filling out the roster the past few years.
    Because landry and keller arent good players ON the field.

Landry is a big hitter, but his coverage is terrible and we need deep safety help, not another physical S. Keller is a TE that doesnt block.

More importantly, all the areas you mention that are in flux.....

If we draft a RB in the 4th round and either he or powell is successful, the RB position is set.

We will draft a guard and probably resign one of our guys.

We will draft at least 1 OLB.

We have young WRs and will draft one in either 2013 or 2014.

This draft is full of safeties.

Basically what im saying is that we have holes in 2013, when revis is under contract. In 2014, when his new contract would kick in, hopefully our young players have stepped up to fill those holes, making him affordable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Because landry and keller arent good players ON the field.

Landry is a big hitter, but his coverage is terrible and we need deep safety help, not another physical S. Keller is a TE that doesnt block.

More importantly, all the areas you mention that are in flux.....

If we draft a RB in the 4th round and either he or powell is successful, the RB position is set.

We will draft a guard and probably resign one of our guys.

We will draft at least 1 OLB.

We have young WRs and will draft one in either 2013 or 2014.

This draft is full of safeties.

Basically what im saying is that we have holes in 2013, when revis is under contract. In 2014, when his new contract would kick in, hopefully our young players have stepped up to fill those holes, making him affordable.
    All true, but that's a lot of faith in Idzik. He's basically going to have to hit on all of those picks if the team does sign Revis. If he's going to be that good in the draft room, then I'm even more convinced that he should deal Revis.

I do think you're undervaluing Landry a little bit, and Keller catches way too much flak on this board. He's the best TE the team has had since Mickey Shuler. And for all the talk about his average blocking, he was on the field both years when the Jets had top-5 rushing attacks. He's no star, but he's serviceable.

Revis blanketing another team's #1 doesn't do much for us if the middle of the field is wide open on defense and the offense can't pick up a 3rd & 5.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez and Holmes are both gone after next season. Jets could resign Revis now or extend him during the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn has started a total of one NFL game. How on Earth would he command over 5 million a year?