Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets to consider 2nd round tender for Cumberland

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets to consider 2nd round tender for Cumberland

Report: Jets consider second-round tender for Jeff Cumberland
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 4, 2013, 6:09 PM EST

In recent years, there has been scant little action in restricted free agency, and excitement could be lacking once again unless a team decides to make a big offer for Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz or Chargers wideout Danario Alexander.

Nevertheless, restricted free agency isnít without its interesting moments. Hereís one: According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have given thought to tendering RFA tight end Jeff Cumberland at a second-round level.

Cumberland, who turns 26 in May, showed some promise in 2010, setting career highs in catches (29), yards (359) and touchdowns (three). Should the Jets extend him a second-round tender, he will receive a one-year, $2.023 million contract offer, according to figures reported by NFL Networkís Albert Breer in January.

A second-round tender would effectively keep Cumberland off the market; itís hard to see any team giving up that high of a pick for him. In short, it would somewhat insure the Jets from the potential loss of UFA tight end Dustin Keller, who figures to draw some interest if he hits the market.

Were the Jets to exercise their right-of-first-refusal on Cumberland, it would save them $700,000, per Breerís figures, but it would potentially open the door to a club making a play for the tight end. Cumberland went undrafted out of Illinois in 2010, so only the first- and second-round pick tenders would ensure the Jets any compensation were they to decline to match an offer sheet.

Such are the decisions teams have to make in restricted free agency. Thatís usually what passes for excitement.
    In my opinion if they do give him a second round tender and pay him $2 million next year I think that is a sign they are moving away from Keller. He is basically Keller but bigger and faster although they both can't block. This frees up $2-$3 million to bring in a good blocking TE like Fasano.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cumberland appears to me to be a good # 2 TE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    J Cumberland is a BALLER!!! Jets R goin to draft another BIG TE that can Block & Catch. Team em up w/JC.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like what I saw out of the kid and think he has potential to help this offense with the right QB throwing the ball to him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    In my opinion if they do give him a second round tender and pay him $2 million next year I think that is a sign they are moving away from Keller. He is basically Keller but bigger and faster although they both can't block. This frees up $2-$3 million to bring in a good blocking TE like Fasano.
    Well, at least the Jets know that he'll still be on the roster. There isn't a team in the NFL that would trade a 2nd round pick for 5 Jeff Cumberlands (even if they came for only the price of 1)...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I like what I saw out of the kid and think he has potential to help this offense with the right QB throwing the ball to him.
    I very much agree with you! I also think he tried very hard to improve his blocking. I like him better then killer-Keller. Keller killed us many times with drops. Time for him to go!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I very much agree with you! I also think he tried very hard to improve his blocking. I like him better then killer-Keller. Keller killed us many times with drops. Time for him to go!
    Wrong ... Keller is far better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hayden Smith may be TE #2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    cumberland hasn't been able to stay on the field. he should take the jets offer and run.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cumberland has been injury prone. Yes he seems to have some upside but I would'nt be counting on him to be our #1 T.E. by any means. In fact him and Keller is'nt enough. The Jets need them both and one of those top 2 tight ends in the draft or Fasano Having 2 very good TE's is almost a must nowadays to have a successful offense - it is the position where you can create your best match-up scenarios. So u need 2 tall and fast TE's and 1 good back-up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    It's a sign Idzik is making his first mistake as our GM. Cumby's value is currently at around $1 mil or less not over 2. While Keller is insanely overrated Cumberland is not even close to being as good a receiver. We need all the cap space we can get.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speculation, not news

Cumby is a good player, not worth 2M per year, so no way he gets a 2nd round tag, would rather pay helen

these are not the droids you are looking for

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They can't be serious.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cumberland is an easily replaceable jag.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to see what a healthy josh baker could have done

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    They can't be serious.
    I agree. This is nonsense. Nobody is looking to sign cumberland.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we have a choice. Roster is thin as it is. We can't lose both our TEs before the draft and be forced to pick one where we might not want to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see it with him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, Cumberland is a nobody.

If they are THAT worried about someone tendering him an offer that they will guarantee him a 2M dollar salary for his 2 catches a game OUT OF FEAR SOMEONE WILL SIGN HIM FROM US then I'd say we have serious problems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Seriously, Cumberland is a nobody.

If they are THAT worried about someone tendering him an offer that they will guarantee him a 2M dollar salary for his 2 catches a game OUT OF FEAR SOMEONE WILL SIGN HIM FROM US then I'd say we have serious problems.
    +1

This along with not already cutting Teclown have me worried about Idzik. He might be another dud with a fancy degree like Tannenbomb.