Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets to consider 2nd round tender for Cumberland

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Hayden Smith may be TE #2
    One other Jets tight end to watch is Hayden Smith. A 6-foot-7, 240-pound former Australian rugby star signed last April, Smith was a raw prospect who progressed last season. On Monday, former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum discussed Smith on NFL Network.

"We could not cover this guy in practice," he said. "It would drive (Jets coach) Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We could not cover this guy. He got better and better. (He) wound up dressing for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rance-for-jets

Cumberland is a massive talent. He is huge with a lighting fast 40 time. The reason Jet fans are clueless about him is because Sanchez will make any reciever look like ****. OH did I mention I really really hate Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Cumberland is a massive talent.
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

His talent is so massive that it went unrecognized by every team in the NFL during the draft.

He's so talented that he's yet to do anything noteworthy, 3 years into his NFL career.

Cumberland was intriguing a few years ago. He's not anymore. We know what he is: a JAG. And you don't pay those guys $2M/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

His talent is so massive that it went unrecognized by every team in the NFL during the draft.

He's so talented that he's yet to do anything noteworthy, 3 years into his NFL career.

Cumberland was intriguing a few years ago. He's not anymore. We know what he is: a JAG. And you don't pay those guys $2M/yr.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=TE

6'4 249lb 4.45 40yd dash. You dont see that everyday I dont care where your drafted. Give hima good QB and you would be singing a different tune.

cumberland cant catch and sucks

Very similar to Keller in that he has size, quickness, inconsistent hands and the blocking abilities of Nate the Play 60 kid. He can hold down the fort until the rookie draft pick (I'm assuming we'll be drafting a TE in the 2-4 round area) is ready to take over.

Still don't understand a second round, $2 million tender for Cumberland or Howard. Neither will be courted by another team. At least Howard makes a little more sense.

All Pro
    $2M seems high for Cumberland, but the Jets probably think they are more or less certain to lose Keller and don't want to be left without any real experience at the position.

I don't get all the Cumberland hate though. Yes, he has flaws but he is still a young developing player who basically played for the first time last year.

He made some big plays in the passing game, has size and speed and can get deep down the seam.

Depends what kind of contract we ultimately give him, but I certainly think we could do worse for a cheap option if Keller leaves. Giving Cumberland the lowest tender (right of first refusal) would be a calculated risk, because as an undrafted FA we'd get nothing for him if he leaves.

Personally, I'd take the risk and offer the lowest tender and the right of first refusal. Unlikely anyone blows him away with an offer anyway and, if he does get an offer above the $2M a year you were considering paying for the higher tender, you let him leave. Any offer lower than that, you match.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 03-05-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Speculation, not news

Cumby is a good player, not worth 2M per year, so no way he gets a 2nd round tag, would rather pay helen

these are not the droids you are looking for
    I agree, Im shocked that he would get a second round tender. He is an atrocious blocker and an average receiver, not sure what the allure is here.

Hall Of Fame
    I can't go crazy about giving him $2MM. We guaranteed Wayne Hunter more than that AFTER he basically ruined Sanchez.

I think the Jets think that $2MM is worth it to give them some flexibility in the draft. If we lost both he and Keller then we would be pretty much forced to take a TE high in the draft or sign a FA which would be more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    One other Jets tight end to watch is Hayden Smith. A 6-foot-7, 240-pound former Australian rugby star signed last April, Smith was a raw prospect who progressed last season. On Monday, former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum discussed Smith on NFL Network.

"We could not cover this guy in practice," he said. "It would drive (Jets coach) Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We could not cover this guy. He got better and better. (He) wound up dressing for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rance-for-jets
    Tannenbaum was actually surprised that the Jets had trouble covering another TE in practice? I guess what happened in the games for the last four years was just a coincidence. Wow.

All Pro
    I think they are going to covert Cumberland into a WR which is where he belongs. He's much taller, and faster than Keller, but he can't block at all, and he should be out in space. He's worth 1mil as a project. Watch out for Hayden Smith who is coming on strong as someone that didn't know what a football was 2 years ago. Then we will sign Celek when the Eagles cut him, or Brandon Meyers, both of whom deserve 2mil.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    $2M seems high for Cumberland, but the Jets probably think they are more or less certain to lose Keller and don't want to be left without any real experience at the position.

I don't get all the Cumberland hate though. Yes, he has flaws but he is still a young developing player who basically played for the first time last year.

He made some big plays in the passing game, has size and speed and can get deep down the seam.

Depends what kind of contract we ultimately give him, but I certainly think we could do worse for a cheap option if Keller leaves. Giving Cumberland the lowest tender (right of first refusal) would be a calculated risk, because as an undrafted FA we'd get nothing for him if he leaves.

Personally, I'd take the risk and offer the lowest tender and the right of first refusal. Unlikely anyone blows him away with an offer anyway and, if he does get an offer above the $2M a year you were considering paying for the higher tender, you let him leave. Any offer lower than that, you match.
    1 year, 2mil is a good value for him. We have to remember he was mostly a WR at Illinois. He had his most extensive playing time ever at the TE position last year, so I'm going to assume he'll only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post

This guy had three years to get on the field, he should have a vet min contract.For Two million you can get a nfl TE, not a Keller but somebody that has performed on the field.

Players like Cumberland always amaze me. They do nothing but get hurt or otherwise act the consummate JAG, yet there are tons of folks blowing up their skirts with praise. What?

Ready? Cumberland SUCKS. Just the facts, folks. Trade the guy for what he's worth: a bag of balls.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    It's a sign Idzik is making his first mistake as our GM. Cumby's value is currently at around $1 mil or less not over 2. While Keller is insanely overrated Cumberland is not even close to being as good a receiver. We need all the cap space we can get.
    detjetsfan -> I agree whole heartily. i think tendering while protecting our interest gives him slightly more than I think he deserves. It isn't like he tore it up last year when Keller was out. He did ok, and he isn't a in line blocker so that dramatically lowers his earning potential until/if he learns to do so.

I would try to sign him to a 2-3 year deal worth 3-5mil in total based on performance. If he does well you can always renegotiate.

All League
    Pretty much means Keller wants more than 2 million

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    detjetsfan -> I agree whole heartily. i think tendering while protecting our interest gives him slightly more than I think he deserves. It isn't like he tore it up last year when Keller was out. He did ok, and he isn't a in line blocker so that dramatically lowers his earning potential until/if he learns to do so.

I would try to sign him to a 2-3 year deal worth 3-5mil in total based on performance. If he does well you can always renegotiate.
    By OK do you mean 12 starts, 2 catches per game for 30 yards, and a TD every 4 games started? Because that's basically the epitome of JAG.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    By OK do you mean 12 starts, 2 catches per game for 30 yards, and a TD every 4 games started? Because that's basically the epitome of JAG.
    He's not good enough to be considered a JAG. A jag is at least good enough to crack the starting line up, this guy is a backup, period!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    He's not good enough to be considered a JAG. A jag is at least good enough to crack the starting line up, this guy is a backup, period!!
    A JAG is the football equivalent of a "replacement level" player. These are players that are slightly worse than the bottom tier of starters in the league.

Cumberland is the definition of a JAG.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

He's still coming along. He missed most of the 2011 season with a bad injury. He was still probably recovering from that injury most of last year and played with a terrible QB and questionable OC.

The guy hasn't had much of a chance to develop. He's definitely a physical mismatch and plays to his workout numbers on the field. It's way too early to give up on this guy.