Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis Talking 49ers/Merged Revis X 10 REvispalooza

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    lol man lay off the weed.. the proof.. Show me proof Jets have the slightest interest in signing revis??? Jets wouldt even talk to revis' agent.. didnt you hear camp revis cry about that?? teams arent stupid, they know the hole jets are in.. there was no jets "could" trade revis.. Only Jets "will" trade Revis.. The longer Jets wait the more damage Mevis can do with his mouth, making leverage worse..
    Oh look, another SOJF that believes everything the media feeds him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Revis will be lucky to get $12 mil per year. No one is paying him $15 mil. He held the most value here, no other team will see him as valuable as the jets did in Rex's system. Revis screwed himself by being such a d*ck with the holdouts and holdout threats. If a team breaks the bank and pays him big bucks, they know he has no integrity and will eventually hold out the minute his yearly salary dips below another CBs.

F*ck Mevis. We should have traded him 3 years ago.
    Yup. It doesn't even have to be another cornerback. Just has to be another defensive player. This 16 mil number is a direct result of the Mario Williams contract. Difference is Mario is a pass rusher, and teams WILL actually give them that money because they feel it is a "premier" position. The thing a team will always worry about with Revis is the second a pass rusher like Aldon Smith, J.J. Watt, or Von Miller makes a cent more than him....then you can be damn sure that he's thinking of holding out. He's selfish, and he's never going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I posted the following in the Nnamdi thread but applies here as well:

This year there are only 3 CBs scheduled to make at least 10 million dollars. Nnamdi at 15 million....LOL, which we know he will never see, Champ Bailey at 10.75 which he will probably not see that full amount as none of it is guaranteed, and Cortland Finegan at 14 million, but that is due to his contract structure which had him at only 4 million last year and then drops to 9 million next year.

So I would say there is no way Revis is going to get 16 million a year from anybody. That would be approximately 60% higher than the current highest paid CBs in the league. Revis can talk all he wants about being the highest paid defensive player, but that doesnt mean he will get it.
    Exxxxxxxactly!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice little article...nothing but the cold hard truth
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100..._writers_breer

It might seem simple enough to say that Darrelle Revis is the New York Jets' best player, and they should want to keep him, and if they don't, there ought to be a long line of suitors waiting to trade for him.

And if you're a headline writer or tabloid columnist in New York City, it's very easy to look at that forest, ignore the patches of dead trees, and scream from the mountaintop how new general manager John Idzik should bring this whole affair to conclusion.

Ready to ignore the noise?

If you are, here's the truth: The Revis situation is massively complicated and has provided the Jets' first-year front-office boss with a daunting initial challenge at the controls. Playing into all of this is the state of the club's roster, its salary structure, Revis' contract situation, his knee, and the value of the corner position in the NFL in 2013.

"The Jets brought this on themselves," one rival AFC personnel executive said. "Not being able to tag the player, the short-sighted contract a couple years ago -- they're here because of how they decided to do business."

In short, Idzik now has to clean up a mess he didn't create. Among the complications:

Revis is going into the final year of his deal and can't be tagged next season. He's already staged two holdouts, and threatened another, and has always desired to be paid at the top of the market. So if the Jets or a team trading for him go into 2013 without a new deal in place, they risk losing him in 2014 for nothing more than a compensatory pick.

Because of his stature and the investment they've made in developing and paying him, the Jets need to get a suitable return for Revis. Trouble is, then, a team trading for Revis not only would need to amend his long-term situation financially or risk losing him, but also pour draft-pick resources into the equation. It's a lot to ask.

Revis' ACL recovery colors all of this. Yes, scores of guys have returned to full strength from knee reconstructions, but corner is the position where this type of injury typically hits hardest. So there's a catch-22 here. If you're trading for him, you can take a leap of faith, sign him, and hope he becomes what he was. Or you go the short-term route, and risk throwing draft picks away for a player who's not at full strength in 2013, which would defeat the purpose of a one-year rental.

According to a source close to Revis, the corner's preference -- despite all that's happened in the last few weeks -- is to remain a Jet. In fact, Revis was under the impression when he signed his four-year, $46 million deal with the club back in 2010 that the contract would be reworked in 2012 to secure his future. The source said the Jets and Revis haven't had a real negotiating session since 2010.

Revis' vision has been to be the Derek Jeter of the Jets and, as such, he wants to help fix what's broken in Florham Park.

The problem is he's never shown a willingness to leave a penny on the table in that effort. And the question being asked by the Jets (who declined comment for this story) internally now isn't how good Revis is, it's philosophically how much money should be tied up in a player at his position. That's tough to measure, particularly given the need to make over the roster and financial structure of the team.

"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland, that's absurd," said one NFC personnel director, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death. You can't tie up all that money in one guy, when you need help all the way around.

"If I have Champ (Bailey) or Revis, I'll pay top dollar, but I won't do something ridiculous."

Indeed, there are 28 players going into 2013 on deals averaging $12 million or more, and only one is a defensive back -- Asomugha, who's making $12 million even and is expected to be forced to either take a paycut or lose his job in Philly.

Conversely, there's no question how good Revis was pre-injury. One NFC personnel executive said, "He was Superman. Fantastic, rare, takes players out of the game. Last time I did (his tape), it was 'Wow'." Another NFC personnel executive added, "He has the ability to change the outcome of every game by himself."

But because of all the existing conditions, six NFL decision-makers polled for this story said they'd do what the Jets seem poised to do, and deal their superstar. The NFC personnel director quoted above said he'd set the floor at two second-round picks. The first NFC exec said he'd want at least a 1 and a 3, the second NFC exec said at least a 1 and two 3s, while the AFC exec said a 1 and an attached pick conditional on Revis' 2013 performance would be his minimum.

Those who know Idzik say his nature is to be deliberate and measured. So if the Jets think they can do better in late April or even the summer, when another club's doctor can get a clearer picture of Revis' knee, then the GM won't be afraid to wait, no matter how hard outside forces are pressing.

The consensus among the group polled was that the Jets need to get multiple picks back. And that's underscoring another larger reason for trading him here, which is the need to rebuild the roster.

The second NFC exec said, "It's pathetic. One guy is not their answer. They need 10-15 guys, including a quarterback. It's hard to put a number on what they need, to be honest." The first NFC exec affirmed, "That's not a very good football team. What's too bad is [if you trade Revis], the sacrificial lamb is a damn good football coach. He's gonna lose his job over this, that's the shame of it. But based on where they are, and they look like a 3-13 or 5-11 club, it makes sense to get the picks and rebuild."

In essence, in doing what's right for the club long-term, the Jets would have to cash in their top resource. In doing so, they'd tacitly admit the mismanagement of their team following consecutive AFC title game appearances in 2009 and 2010.

Worse, they'd be dealing Revis in what's a less-than-ideal market for a seller. Add it up, and you have a situation that some have tried to make so black-and-white blanketed in shades of gray.

And a difficult decision, one to trade away your best player and start over, that increasingly seems to be the only one for the Jets to make.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    People viewed Herschel Walker as an all-time great RB before he was traded. How'd that work out for the Cowboys?

I would never trade an all-time QB, but an all-time CB (that Darrell clearly is) can be expendable assuming we get the right price for him.
    Not in the NFL he wasn't?? He had one good 1,500 season and was traded.. In his NFL career he had just 2 1,000+ seasons.. His Rep was made in the USFL..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis' vision has been to be the Derek Jeter of the Jets and, as such, he wants to help fix what's broken in Florham Park.
    LOL.

When was the last time Derek Jeter held his team hostage and had his contract preclude them from being competitive.

Seriously sick of reading this. The Jets roster stinks. Sinking that much money into a Corner back screws up any team other than those that have been run so awesomely that their roster reeks of talent in the positions that matter like the Niners or Giants.......Revis in that case is worth it as a one year rental because he probably flips them over the top.

Problem is that he's coming off an ACL repair. Meaning he's only worth what he's asking to himself.

This has been beaten to death. Trading Revis and getting a return on him is a brilliant move provided you get the draft picks and/or talent needed to rebuild the Jets for the long haul. As it stands, this roster stinks and the owner's retention of the head coach has helped clear the air.

That's all there is to it. If the head coach is presumably gone after what appears to be a lost season due to how terrible the roster is, then maybe we can see this guy actually build a winner.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep Revis.

I have been swaying back and forth in my mind on what we should do.

He's a Hall of Fame type player. He's the definition of Shut down, dominant CB you can have.

What would you rather have? Two or 3 picks that are not absolute guarantees, or a Revis? I go with Revis.

Pay him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Revis

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade him and move this thread to the Reis mass merge thread.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pay him and we will be watchin another 6-10 season next year, team has to many holes to fill.

Move him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Self-importance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

He's a Hall of Fame type player. He's the definition of Shut down, dominant CB you can have.

What would you rather have? Two or 3 picks that are not absolute guarantees, or a Revis? I go with Revis.

Pay him.
    Possibly.

So you're willing to say F it - let's make him the highest paid player on the defensive side of the ball... and then have him threaten to hold out in two years when someone signs a bigger deal?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay him.
    MODS..please change name of thread to

AGAINST THE EXPERTS.... HERE STANDS SBIII

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Save Ferris!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Pay him and we will be watchin another 6-10 season next year, team has to many holes to fill.

Move him.
    Or.........

get the picks and have 3 potential wastes. and still go 6-10.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    MODS..please change name of thread to

AGAINST THE EXPERTS.... HERE STANDS SBIII
    I have to give him credit, he's tackling the topic nobody seems to want to right now...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Trade Revis
    Yep.

Love Revis and you cannot deny his talent.

But this $16 million/year crap is certifiably insane. At that average per year, Revis would be the fifth highest paid....QUARTERBACK.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Yep.

Love Revis and you cannot deny his talent.

But this $16 million/year crap is certifiably insane. At that average per year, Revis would be the fifth highest paid....QUARTERBACK.
    How does anyone really know how much Revis wants?

Because Rich Cimini said so?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can not afford him at this point, trade him get what we can and hope we get 2 solid affordable starters. If Rex can develop this young defensive front line, then the need for shut down corners is reduced.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or.........

get the picks and have 3 potential wastes. and still go 6-10.
    this post is so narrow-minded and ill-informed, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you've never watched an iota of professional football in your life.

Oh jeez, i just noticed you scribed the OP as well. I guess we can add downs syndrome to the equation too.