Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Revis Talking 49ers/Merged Revis X 10 REvispalooza

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Unless they sign with a future SB contender.

No, seriously, after i heard that live quote from Revis regarding the 49ers and how "great and special it would be"......i mean seriously?

You and your money loving, WR shutting down ways are dead to me darrellle.
    Honestly, it goes to show how little the players believe in Sanchez. Moore saying the same thing about going to a contender? WTF... we were the contenders two seasons ago.

Oh well. They can pound salt. I didn't want Moore back anyway. Too old.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Honestly, it goes to show how little the players believe in Sanchez. Moore saying the same thing about going to a contender? WTF... we were the contenders two seasons ago.

Oh well. They can pound salt. I didn't want Moore back anyway. Too old.
    Its like that old girlfriend. You know its time to part, but you never know whats gonna fill in that void.....

Olde reliable sex on the weekends, or a shot at exotic strange on a worknight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair assesment IMO

New York Jets face hard decision regarding Darrelle Revis' future

By Albert Breer Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
    Published: March 7, 2013 at 01:05 p.m. Updated: March 7, 2013 at 06:45 p.m.

It might seem simple enough to say that Darrelle Revis is the New York Jets' best player, they should want to keep him, and if they don't, there ought to be a long line of suitors waiting to trade for him.

And if you're a headline writer or tabloid columnist in New York City, it's very easy to look at that forest, ignore the patches of dead trees, and scream from the mountaintop how new general manager John Idzik should bring this whole affair to conclusion.

If you are, here's the truth: The Revis situation is massively complicated and has provided the Jets' first-year front-office boss with a daunting initial challenge at the controls. Playing into all of this is the state of the club's roster, its salary structure, Revis' contract situation, his knee, and the value of the corner position in the NFL in 2013.

"The Jets brought this on themselves," one rival AFC personnel executive said. "Not being able to tag the player, the short-sighted contract a couple years ago -- they're here because of how they decided to do business."

In short, Idzik now has to clean up a mess he didn't create. Among the complications:

Revis is going into the final year of his deal and can't be tagged next season. He's already staged two holdouts -- and threatened another -- and has always desired to be paid at the top of the market. So if the Jets (or a team trading for him) go into 2013 without a new deal in place, they risk losing him in 2014 for nothing more than a compensatory pick.

Because of Revis' stature and the investment the Jets have made in developing and paying him, the club must get a suitable return for the cornerback. Trouble is, a team trading for Revis not only would need to amend his long-term situation financially or risk losing him, but also pour draft-pick resources into the equation. It's a lot to ask.

Revis' ACL recovery colors all of this. Yes, scores of guys have returned to full strength from knee reconstructions, but corner is the position where this type of injury typically hits hardest. So there's a catch-22 here. If you're trading for him, you can take a leap of faith, sign him, and hope he becomes what he was. Or you go the short-term route, and risk throwing draft picks away for a player who's not at full strength in 2013, which would defeat the purpose of a one-year rental.

According to a source close to Revis, the corner's preference -- despite all that's happened in the last few weeks -- is to remain a Jet. In fact, Revis was under the impression when he signed his four-year, $46 million deal with the club back in 2010 that the contract would be reworked in 2012 to secure his future. The source said the Jets and Revis haven't had a real negotiating session since 2010.

Revis' vision has been to be the Derek Jeter of the Jets and, as such, he wants to help fix what's broken in Florham Park.

The problem is he's never shown a willingness to leave a penny on the table in that effort. And the current question being asked internally by the Jets (who declined comment for this story) isn't how good Revis is, it's philosophically how much money should be tied up in a player at his position. That's tough to measure, particularly given the need to make over the roster and financial structure of the team.

"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland -- that's absurd," one NFC personnel director said, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death. You can't tie up all that money in one guy when you need help all the way around.

"If I have Champ (Bailey) or Revis, I'll pay top dollar, but I won't do something ridiculous."

Indeed, there are 28 players going into 2013 on deals averaging $12 million or more, and only one is a defensive back -- Asomugha, who's making $12 million even, and is expected to be forced to either take a pay cut or lose his job in Philly.

Conversely, there's no question how good Revis was pre-injury. One NFC personnel executive said, "He was Superman. Fantastic, rare, takes players out of the game. Last time I did (his tape), it was 'Wow'." Another NFC personnel executive added, "He has the ability to change the outcome of every game by himself."

But because of all the existing conditions, six NFL decision-makers polled for this story said they'd do what the Jets seem poised to do: deal their superstar. The NFC personnel director quoted above said he'd set the floor at two second-round picks. The first NFC exec said he'd want at least a 1 and a 3, while the second NFC exec said at least a 1 and two 3s. Meanwhile, the AFC exec said a 1 and an attached pick conditional on Revis' 2013 performance would be his minimum.

Those who know Idzik say his nature is to be deliberate and measured. So if the Jets think they can do better in late April or even the summer, when another club's doctor can get a clearer picture of Revis' knee, then the GM won't be afraid to wait, no matter how hard outside forces are pressing.

The consensus among the group polled was that the Jets need to get multiple picks back. And that's underscoring another larger reason for trading him here, which is the need to rebuild the roster.

The second NFC exec said, "It's pathetic. One guy is not their answer. They need 10-15 guys, including a quarterback. It's hard to put a number on what they need, to be honest." The first NFC exec affirmed, "That's not a very good football team. What's too bad is [if you trade Revis], the sacrificial lamb is a damn good football coach. He's gonna lose his job over this, that's the shame of it. But based on where they are, and they look like a 3-13 or 5-11 club, it makes sense to get the picks and rebuild."

In essence, in doing what's right for the club long-term, the Jets would have to cash in their top resource. In doing so, they'd tacitly admit the mismanagement of their team following consecutive AFC title game appearances in 2009 and 2010.Worse, they'd be dealing Revis in what's a less-than-ideal market for a seller.

Add it up, and you have a situation that some have tried to make so black-and-white blanketed in shades of gray. And a difficult decision, one to trade away your best player and start over, that increasingly seems to be the only one for the Jets to make.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Fair assesment IMO
    Yes, good article. My feeling is that if Idzik can't get a number 1 in return then he should hold onto Revis and just settle for a comp pick. Maybe they can unload him after a couple weeks into the season for something greater. No way should we be settling for couple third rounders -- that's pennies on the dollar and sets bad precedent for future trades.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling we might end up keeping Revis. As mentioned, since we'd be getting a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves next year, we might not get a deal that justifies the added cap hit this year, losing his services for 2013, plus I think if he hits free agency, there is a good chance he ends up back with us. I just don't see another team valuing him as highly as Rex does. I think Revis is going to be in for a rude awakening when he hits free agency. The money just isn't going to be what he thinks it should be, especially if he isn't as dominant as he was in previous seasons, or if he suffers any kind of injuries.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly have to say I feel that Tanny structured the contract properly. You have to remember at the time Revis was demanding huge money, long term. He was not coming off that position at all. As I recall there was just no way Tanny could give him the huge guaranteed signing bonus he was looking for and stay under the cap, so they settled on this contract. It protected the Jets from another holdout, and it protected Revis from being franchised. Tanny knew this day would come, and he made sure he left himself in a position to at least get value for Revis on the market if he needed to.

You also have to remember at the time of Revis' holdout, he only had one phenominal season. Up to that point under Mangini he was excellent, but he wasn't legendary until Rex came and that was only one year at the time. Revis has proven to be every bit as good since then, but if Tanny gave him the huge long term deal he wanted in 2010 and he turned out to be like Nnamdi we would be completely handcuffed in a **** show right now. It's bad enough WITH the option of getting value for Revis. Imagine if we could not move Revis at all and his play dropped off a cliff like Nnamdi.

Tanny has done alot wrong in his tenure with the Jets. His handling of Revis is not one of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    **** his feelings.

I agree you cant crap completely on a salary offer, but come on Eugene, 35 over 6 for a rookie? How dare us.

Mevi is lucky he came out a few years before the rookie cap. Hes a money whore, which is fine and understandable, but also completely disgustable to us Jets peeps.
    35 over 6 was the number they ended up at after Mike Tannenbaum got bent over his desk and cornholed by team Revis. Basically it represented a complete cave-in by our front office and it was the wrong contract for where he was picked. Yes it was a great deal for Revis and it turned out to be even better since he did not even play it out (getting "disrespected" after 3 seasons). My only point in this is that whole episode was a self inflicted wound by Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets when camp Revis declared several times that they would have accepted the slot contract of $15 million over 4.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    35 over 6 was the number they ended up at after Mike Tannenbaum got bent over his desk and cornholed by team Revis. Basically it represented a complete cave-in by our front office and it was the wrong contract for where he was picked. Yes it was a great deal for Revis and it turned out to be even better since he did not even play it out (getting "disrespected" after 3 seasons). My only point in this is that whole episode was a self inflicted wound by Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets when camp Revis declared several times that they would have accepted the slot contract of $15 million over 4.
    So camp Revis had nothing to do with it?? How come Tanny never tried that with any other 1st rd pick??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Yes, good article. My feeling is that if Idzik can't get a number 1 in return then he should hold onto Revis and just settle for a comp pick. Maybe they can unload him after a couple weeks into the season for something greater. No way should we be settling for couple third rounders -- that's pennies on the dollar and sets bad precedent for future trades.
    +1

Idzik should be patient. If they can't get a boatload for him, then keep him, but have a good offer dangling in front of Revis' nose... then let's see if he bites.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So camp Revis had nothing to do with it?? How come Tanny never tried that with any other 1st rd pick??
    Of course they had something to do with it. What they said was that if you want to lock me (Revis) down to 6 years, a top-5 contract length, then pay me. We did.

Tanny was believing his own "Cap genius/Contracts genius" press clippings I think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I honestly have to say I feel that Tanny structured the contract properly. You have to remember at the time Revis was demanding huge money, long term. He was not coming off that position at all. As I recall there was just no way Tanny could give him the huge guaranteed signing bonus he was looking for and stay under the cap, so they settled on this contract. It protected the Jets from another holdout, and it protected Revis from being franchised. Tanny knew this day would come, and he made sure he left himself in a position to at least get value for Revis on the market if he needed to.

You also have to remember at the time of Revis' holdout, he only had one phenominal season. Up to that point under Mangini he was excellent, but he wasn't legendary until Rex came and that was only one year at the time. Revis has proven to be every bit as good since then, but if Tanny gave him the huge long term deal he wanted in 2010 and he turned out to be like Nnamdi we would be completely handcuffed in a **** show right now. It's bad enough WITH the option of getting value for Revis. Imagine if we could not move Revis at all and his play dropped off a cliff like Nnamdi.

Tanny has done alot wrong in his tenure with the Jets. His handling of Revis is not one of them.
    I could not disagree more, besides extending Sanchez, his backing down from Revis was the worse move he did. Yes- worse even that drafting Goldson.

Revis signed a six year contract as a rookie- for one more year to that 6 years he gave up the right to tag him and gave him an additional 36 mill dollars. Then to make the deal cap friendly for the 1st year he added 3 bogus years to the back end that would cause the team to take a 9 mill cap hit even if Revis walks away. I never heard of a contract being structured so in favor of the player.

As far as value for Revis, You will have to wait to see how that plays out- remember while you may get picks back your losing 10 mill of cap space that could have been used to sign FA- so how much are you realy getting?
    Last edited by patman; 03-08-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @JasonLaCanfora: Wrote this a few days back and realized I never posted link. Separating fact from fiction regarding Revis trade: http://t.co/tajsfhevxM

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora: Wrote this a few days back and realized I never posted link. Separating fact from fiction regarding Revis trade: http://t.co/tajsfhevxM
    Classic hindsight is 20 20 from Jason this time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are NOT going to re-sign Darrelle Revis. It's not going to happen. You either trade him now for whatever you can get for him, most likely a 1 and a 3 or a 2 and a 3, or you let him play for a .500 or below football team in 2013 and get a conditional 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft.

Your choice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The Jets are NOT going to re-sign Darrelle Revis. It's not going to happen. You either trade him now for whatever you can get for him, most likely a 1 and a 3 or a 2 and a 3, or you let him play for a .500 or below football team in 2013 and get a conditional 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft.

Your choice.
    I think jets their best deal with be a late first or 2nd. Plus a conditional pick in 14. This will allow teams to relax who are worrying about the knee or if they can sign him.. conditional pick- if its 49ers - 1st rounder if he stays healthy and teams makes it to sb. If its eagles obviously much less chance of them making it to sb so would not apply that with them.. Plenty of options how to scale the conditional pick wether it's 1st 2nd or 3rd. I believe we had that with farve. This allows us more picks in the much better qb class next yr.. More picks to trade up.. Lot of teams aren't looking past 2013, but jets would be smart to set themselves up for 2014 draft..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW

Per Florio on NBC Sports. Jets have an offer on the table from a team for Revis which includes a contract for Revis. Florio said Revis agents haven't been told of this offer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW

Per Florio on NBC Sports. Jets have an offer on the table from a team for Revis which includes a contract for Revis. Florio said Revis agents haven't been told of this offer.
    Revis watch 2013. Stay tuned.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW

Scanning the internet (using only the past hour feature), three teams consistently come up.

Denver
    Philadelphia
    Atlanta

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW

fascinating tidbit, thanks Cmart ... we may have a mediocre team right now but this cloak and dagger game between the Jets and Team Revis is fascinating. I like that Woody and the Jets are not talking to the media ...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW

Bryce Brown and the Eagles 2nd and 3rd round Picks in 2013.