Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis Talking 49ers/Merged Revis X 10 REvispalooza

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    People viewed Herschel Walker as an all-time great RB before he was traded. How'd that work out for the Cowboys?

I would never trade an all-time QB, but an all-time CB (that Darrell clearly is) can be expendable assuming we get the right price for him.
    No one's giving up what Minnesota gave up in the Herschel Walker trade anymore. That's why it's such a memorable trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't understand the concept of sitting out the season in protest of trading players or not making certain moves from a fans perspective. It's silly really, almost childish. I mean think about it, how does the team even know your sitting out the season? Does it even register on the Nielson rating scale? How do you Woody cares about 1 fan saying I quit as a billionaire?

Look, this whole Revis thing is out of control at this point. If you owned the company your financial responsibilities dictate that you make sure that unless you sign him to a contract - you ensure you get some value for him. If he walks away next year, he gets paid from another team and we get stuck with a back loaded contract and no draft picks coupled with the shame of trading away a sure fire first ballot HOF player. All of that sucks. Either pay him a mega contract or don't.

If I'm Woody, I try to sign him, because the fact of the matter is that we don't have a Franchise QB or any other player that commands the respect or contract that he demands. In 3 years if we happen to find a Franchise QB through trade, draft or FA then it would reasonably take 3-4 years for that player to earn a contract of that magnitude right? So sign Revis, let him get his due that I think he deserves and by the time we do get a Franchise QB in the best case scenario, Revis will be on the tale end of his contract and if we front load it easily trade-able or releas-able.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People viewed Herschel Walker as an all-time great RB before he was traded. How'd that work out for the Cowboys?

I would never trade an all-time QB, but an all-time CB (that Darrell clearly is) can be expendable assuming we get the right price for him.
    Please no anecdotal examples. Once again, teams that trade all-times players historcally have lost those trades. Fact. and its not even close

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Utter nonsense. Whether our owner makes it public or not does not impact Revis' trade value one bit. Eventually our owner or GM has to let other teams know that Revis is available and then those teams, assuming they want Revis, will make their best offer. Whether Woody makes this known on ESPN or even private calls to each team, the end result is the same.

Stop being a sheep to the media hype.
    lol really genius? You dont think if the Jets were atleast open to signing revis, now or later (or made it seem as such) they would have a better position in demands? Teams can tell the Jets " we know your not keeping him, we will give you this, take it or we will just sign him in a few months without giving up anything.." what can the Jets say? they have no leverage..
    they were dumb enough to put the no franchise tag in the contract, which would be huge leverage for us.. especially for teams concerned about his knee.. wake up and stop being so bitter your going to have to change your name..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Completely possible. Revis is under contract for this year. Any new deal could easily be structured as an extension. Even if its not, the bulk of the new money doesn't need to hit in this year. The team could create a $30m option bonus om 2014 that is guaranteed.
    Exactly, Revis received a 25 million option bonus in 2011 on top of his salary which allowed his salary to be much lower in other years on the same contract.

The problem with signing any player to a low initial payment and compensating with large signing bonuses or option bonuses is that the cap hit eventually comes home to roost.

If the Super Bowl seemed like a distinct possibility, as it did to some when Revis signed his previous contract extension, then robbing Peter to pay Paul makes sense. With the Jets journey back to the Super Bowl something akin to Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy it seems beyond foolish to sign a record breaking contract that will curtail the development of a rooster badly needing an overhaul.

To put it in perspective, paying Revis 15 million a year, if that is what he wants ... puts him on a similar payscale to Eli Manning (7 year 106.9 million).

To me it's not just about the fact that Revis is a cornerback. Even for QB's on Super Bowl calibre teams I think these record breaking contracts can stack the cards against a repeat. Drew Brees last year and Joe Flacco this year, both great quarterbacks but these contracts really tie the hands of front offices when it comes to replenish the free-agent defections which are inevitable. In turn it puts pressure on their front office to hit a home run in the draft every year with cheap rookie talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Please no anecdotal examples. Once again, teams that trade all-times players historcally have lost those trades. Fact. and its not even close
    But you can not look at it as winning the trade or losing the trade. You have to look at it like if the Jets feel they do not want to pay and put up with Revis and his contract antics for the next several years, then they want to get some compensation for him instead of watching him leave for FA and get nothing. You are never going to get "fair" value in this situation. You do it because you can something of value for Revis AND then have the ability to better your team by having more resources to allocate to other areas of the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    lol really genius? You dont think if the Jets were atleast open to signing revis, now or later (or made it seem as such) they would have a better position in demands? Teams can tell the Jets " we know your not keeping him, we will give you this, take it or we will just sign him in a few months without giving up anything.." what can the Jets say? they have no leverage..
    What proof do you have that the JEts have ZERO intention of signing Revis and that teams know this as a fact?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What proof do you have that the JEts have ZERO intention of signing Revis and that teams know this as a fact?
    Good point, but after hearing Revis on the AM yesterday regarding the 49ers, it is almost as close to a given as possible he is gone. His enthusiasm regarding joining the 49ers, while still a Jet is seriously sickening, not to mention 100% unprofessional. Bridges have been burned,and bombed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol are you seriously asking that question? our New GM 1st day on the job and our genius owner is already leaking it that he wants to trade Revis. Not "open to trading Revis" but "WIll TRADE REVIS" we have to hear from the new gm, "it wasnt me" Rex? "wasnt me" ofcourse not.. The guy who signs the checks, has let it be [B]VERY[B] clear he doesnt want to pay Revis.. and how tired he is of revis and his agent..

I didnt say zero interest, if Revis does a 10 360's and suddenly says " i will give the jets a hometown discount" (try not to laugh) woody maybe would have a change of heart.. He is not going to go for that, and who would trust he wouldnt hold out in 2 years if he did? not woody..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol are you seriously asking that question? our New GM 1st day on the job and our genius owner is already leaking it that he wants to trade Revis. Not "open to trading Revis" but "WIll TRADE REVIS" we have to hear from the new gm, "it wasnt me" Rex? "wasnt me" ofcourse not.. The guy who signs the checks, has let it be [B]VERY[B] clear he doesnt want to pay Revis.. and how tired he is of revis and his agent..

I didnt say zero interest, if Revis does a 10 360's and suddenly says " i will give the jets a hometown discount" (try not to laugh) woody maybe would have a change of heart.. He is not going to go for that, and who would trust he wouldnt hold out in 2 years if he did? not woody..
    Again, you bring no proof to the table. The Jets are 100 percent open to trade Revis. They let everyone know that they are open to trading revis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If Jets had not made this public and then made a quick trade to the Niners for 2 2nd round picks, guys like you would be crying "why didn't they let every team know so they can get teams bidding against each other."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, you bring no proof to the table. The Jets are 100 percent open to trade Revis. They let everyone know that they are open to trading revis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If Jets had not made this public and then made a quick trade to the Niners for 2 2nd round picks, guys like you would be crying "why didn't they let every team know so they can get teams bidding against each other."
    lol man lay off the weed.. the proof.. Show me proof Jets have the slightest interest in signing revis??? Jets wouldt even talk to revis' agent.. didnt you hear camp revis cry about that?? teams arent stupid, they know the hole jets are in.. there was no jets "could" trade revis.. Only Jets "will" trade Revis.. The longer Jets wait the more damage Mevis can do with his mouth, making leverage worse..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is as good as gone people. Also, understand that we aren't getting a lot back for him. We are at an extreme disadvantage across the board here. We have zero leverage, Revis is injured, and teams don't want to pay him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    Revis is as good as gone people. Also, understand that we aren't getting a lot back for him. We are at an extreme disadvantage across the board here. We have zero leverage, Revis is injured, and teams don't want to pay him.
    If teams don't want to pay him, he'll veto the trade...simple as that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    If teams don't want to pay him, he'll veto the trade...simple as that.

Not challenging you here. Don't have the info. Can Revis veto a trade? Is that in his contract or the CBA?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Not challenging you here. Don't have the info. Can Revis veto a trade? Is that in his contract or the CBA?
    Almost certain it was a provision in his band-aid contract he signed before the 2011 season. like 80% sure on this, but someone can confirm...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    he can refuse to sign an extension with the team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis will be lucky to get $12 mil per year. No one is paying him $15 mil. He held the most value here, no other team will see him as valuable as the jets did in Rex's system. Revis screwed himself by being such a d*ck with the holdouts and holdout threats. If a team breaks the bank and pays him big bucks, they know he has no integrity and will eventually hold out the minute his yearly salary dips below another CBs.

F*ck Mevis. We should have traded him 3 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol man lay off the weed.. the proof.. Show me proof Jets have the slightest interest in signing revis??? Jets wouldt even talk to revis' agent.. didnt you hear camp revis cry about that?? teams arent stupid, they know the hole jets are in.. there was no jets "could" trade revis.. Only Jets "will" trade Revis.. The longer Jets wait the more damage Mevis can do with his mouth, making leverage worse..
    Revis won't hurt his trade value because it hurts him in the long run too.

This is part of the reason why I have liked what Idzik has done. He is remaining coy and saying nothing. Revis is doing all the talking and is hurting himself in the process. What team will pay him that amount of money just so he can holdout and want more?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Revis will be lucky to get $12 mil per year. No one is paying him $15 mil. He held the most value here, no other team will see him as valuable as the jets did in Rex's system. Revis screwed himself by being such a d*ck with the holdouts and holdout threats. If a team breaks the bank and pays him big bucks, they know he has no integrity and will eventually hold out the minute his yearly salary dips below another CBs.

F*ck Mevis. We should have traded him 3 years ago.
    I posted the following in the Nnamdi thread but applies here as well:

This year there are only 3 CBs scheduled to make at least 10 million dollars. Nnamdi at 15 million....LOL, which we know he will never see, Champ Bailey at 10.75 which he will probably not see that full amount as none of it is guaranteed, and Cortland Finegan at 14 million, but that is due to his contract structure which had him at only 4 million last year and then drops to 9 million next year.

So I would say there is no way Revis is going to get 16 million a year from anybody. That would be approximately 60% higher than the current highest paid CBs in the league. Revis can talk all he wants about being the highest paid defensive player, but that doesnt mean he will get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best move right now for the Jets is probably to trade him at the deadline in October. By then, Revis will have proven whether he is back to full power and other teams/contenders will have a better idea for what they need. They can also get picks for next year's draft which can't be worse than this draft.