Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 542

Thread: Revis Talking 49ers/Merged Revis X 10 REvispalooza

  1. #461
    The Jets need to rebuild their offense, and fill holes at S and LB.


    But f*ck that....let's pay Revis instead. Huuuuuurrrrd.

  2. #462
    id keep him at around 12-13m a year and no holdouts for the entire length of contract

    but that wont happen

  3. #463
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Or.........


    get the picks and have 3 potential wastes. and still go 6-10.
    Orrr we hit on the picks by trusting our new GM and field a decent competitive team.

    Its the only logical way to improve this team, we need picks.

  4. #464
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    How does anyone really know how much Revis wants?

    Because Rich Cimini said so?
    Exactly and what you want doesnt mean what you will settle for....he may want 16 a year but coming of a major injury will he risk playing a year or take the 12.5 to 13 a year....id bet hed take the latter....and those who keeo saying reneogitate every two years....thats just retarded this will be his big pay day whether its 16 15 or 12 it will be for 5-6 years and big time guarenteed money.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    How does anyone really know how much Revis wants?

    Because Rich Cimini said so?
    I don't read Cimini's articles nor do I follow him on Twitter, especially with cap-related matters. If you want good cap discussion, read Jason's material at nyjetscap or overthecap.

    It's pretty clear that Revis does not want to be paid on the CB market; he wants to take the Calvin Johnson / Larry Fitzgerald model of the "non-QB superstar market" route.

    Johnson and Fitzgerald's annual salary per year average is $16 million.

    And do you have any memory of how Feinsod & Schwartz have approached Revis's contract since he was drafted?? Drafted 14th and held out in Training Camp, demanding to be paid like a top 10 pick; holds out in 2010; "considers" holding out last year. Then the crap his agents are feeding the media this year.

    I'll stick to the facts and analytics of player salaries. You guys can read your tabloid BS.

  6. #466
    Once Asomugha gets cut, this is how annual yearly salaries of the top 5 CBs in the NFL look (not including Revis):

    1) Champ Bailey -- $10.625 million average per year
    2) Brandon Carr -- $10.02 million APY
    3) Cortland Finnegan -- $10 million APY
    4) Leon Hall -- $9.75 million APY
    5) Johnathan Joseph -- $9.75 million APY

    The top 5 averages roughly $10 million/year


    Now ask yourself this:

    Is Revis, at $16 million APY, 60% better than the next cornerback in the NFL? Because that's what he's asking to be paid like. Look, I love the guy and I think he's a Hall of Famer; that being said, we can't sabotage the rest of our roster because our CB wants to get paid like he's the fifth best Quarterback in the league. It's just not feasible, guys.

  7. #467
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Once Asomugha gets cut, this is how annual yearly salaries of the top 5 CBs in the NFL look (not including Revis):

    1) Champ Bailey -- $10.625 million average per year
    2) Brandon Carr -- $10.02 million APY
    3) Cortland Finnegan -- $10 million APY
    4) Leon Hall -- $9.75 million APY
    5) Johnathan Joseph -- $9.75 million APY

    The top 5 averages roughly $10 million/year


    Now ask yourself this:

    Is Revis, at $16 million APY, 60% better than the next cornerback in the NFL? Because that's what he's asking to be paid like. Look, I love the guy and I think he's a Hall of Famer; that being said, we can't sabotage the rest of our roster because our CB wants to get paid like he's the fifth best Quarterback in the league. It's just not feasible, guys.
    MSGold from the addicts board posted his Revis plan..

    New 15 mil signning bonus

    2013 Base: the original 6 mil plus his bonuses that takes it to 9 mil
    2014 Base: 11 mil
    2015 Base: 10 mil
    2016 Base: 8 mil
    2017 Base: 6 mil

    Thats 59 mil over 5 years. 11.8 mil per year average. But ALL guaranteed for injury...ALL of it, so he WILL collect all of it no matter what. And the first 3 years (with the signing bonus pay) average 15 mil per so he can be happy psycologically. The decreasing bases protect us in the event of decline in play or career injury. AND I add back the "hold out clause" that "unguarantee" his bases for 2016 and 2017 to protect us from a typical revis "hold out" when his base salaries drop towards the end of the deal.


  8. #468
    Trade him.

    I'm Team Jets, not Team Revis, and trading Revis makes more sense than keeping him, unfortunately. Just does. No ifs ands or buts about it.

  9. #469
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,736
    He's becoming quickly over priced. And since he's damaged goods, you don't know if he's the same. AND since we've got a lot of other holes to fill, c-ya!

    Btw, I'd be for keeping him if there wasn't a salary cap.

  10. #470
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,924
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Trade him.

    I'm Team Jets, not Team Revis, and trading Revis makes more sense than keeping him, unfortunately. Just does. No ifs ands or buts about it.
    Make that No if's,buts or holdouts..

  11. #471
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Pay him and we will be watchin another 6-10 season next year, team has to many holes to fill.

    Move him.
    3 and 13 without him. Pay him, trade Harris, Cromartie.

  12. #472
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Yep.

    Love Revis and you cannot deny his talent.

    But this $16 million/year crap is certifiably insane. At that average per year, Revis would be the fifth highest paid....QUARTERBACK.
    It's a negotiation......You say 16 I say 11, let's settle on 13.5.

  13. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    MSGold from the addicts board posted his Revis plan..

    New 15 mil signning bonus

    2013 Base: the original 6 mil plus his bonuses that takes it to 9 mil
    2014 Base: 11 mil
    2015 Base: 10 mil
    2016 Base: 8 mil
    2017 Base: 6 mil

    Thats 59 mil over 5 years. 11.8 mil per year average. But ALL guaranteed for injury...ALL of it, so he WILL collect all of it no matter what. And the first 3 years (with the signing bonus pay) average 15 mil per so he can be happy psycologically. The decreasing bases protect us in the event of decline in play or career injury. AND I add back the "hold out clause" that "unguarantee" his bases for 2016 and 2017 to protect us from a typical revis "hold out" when his base salaries drop towards the end of the deal.

    1) Most importantly, I don't see he and his agents going for that. Sure the injury guarantee is great, but high profile players want large signing bonuses. It's a leverage mechanism that they can hold over the team. A $3 million/year prorated bonus is nothing.

    A $15 million signing bonus is nothing for a big player like that, especially when you consider his last deal had $32.5 million FULLY guaranteed, not just for injury.

    His last deal had fully guaranteed base salaries of $7.5 and $6.5 million in his first two years. Then he had an option bonus of $18 million in year two. He took him roughly $32 million in his first two years of his last deal.

    I'm sorry, but he's going to want more in the form of full guarantees (i.e. signing/workout/roster bonuses and guaranteed base salaries) early on. These deal doesn't even look more enticing than his last one, and it's been whispered that he wants to be paid on that Fitz/Megatron "non-QB superstar" level.

    2) From a Jets perspective, sure, the ACL injury isn't a death sentence like it used to be, but why on earth would the team take that risk?? Especially at a position where lateral quickness is paramount, probably the one defensive position most reliant on it. What about the (albeit small) chance he doesn't return to form this year and is merely an above average CB? It paints the front office into a corner.

  14. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    I have been swaying back and forth in my mind on what we should do.

    He's a Hall of Fame type player. He's the definition of Shut down, dominant CB you can have.

    What would you rather have? Two or 3 picks that are not absolute guarantees, or a Revis? I go with Revis.

    Pay him.
    "You can start by acting like a man!"

  15. #475
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Once Asomugha gets cut, this is how annual yearly salaries of the top 5 CBs in the NFL look (not including Revis):

    1) Champ Bailey -- $10.625 million average per year
    2) Brandon Carr -- $10.02 million APY
    3) Cortland Finnegan -- $10 million APY
    4) Leon Hall -- $9.75 million APY
    5) Johnathan Joseph -- $9.75 million APY

    The top 5 averages roughly $10 million/year


    Now ask yourself this:

    Is Revis, at $16 million APY, 60% better than the next cornerback in the NFL? Because that's what he's asking to be paid like. Look, I love the guy and I think he's a Hall of Famer; that being said, we can't sabotage the rest of our roster because our CB wants to get paid like he's the fifth best Quarterback in the league. It's just not feasible, guys.
    Your findings are heavily skewed in your favor. You can't exclude Aso's contract because he hasn't been cut yet and his contract still stands. He's set to make a little north of $15 mil. Do I think Darrelle Revis is worth more than Nnamdi? Yes. Yes I do.

    How do so many Jet fans agree with Woody Johnson? Do we not complain about him every damn day about PSLs and the Tebow fiasco? Now we're just gunna jump on the TRADE REVIS bandwagon because Woody and the media say "it's necessary in order to start rebuilding". Bull sh*t. A rebuilding team would love to have a HOF Corner that's still in the prime of his career. Not only that he's the face of the franchise. You all are being swindled so hard into this mindset because we have a cheap owner that won't pay the best CB in the NFL.

  16. #476
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Your findings are heavily skewed in your favor. You can't exclude Aso's contract because he hasn't been cut yet and his contract still stands. He's set to make a little north of $15 mil. Do I think Darrelle Revis is worth more than Nnamdi? Yes. Yes I do.
    And how has the Nnamdi contract worked out for the Eagles??

    Signed in 2011, will be cut after two seasons. Does it sound like he was worth the money?

    Or how about how he got to the free agency and the Eagles in the first place... The Raiders paid him $15 million over three years during his age-27, 28, and 29 seasons, pretty much the same age Revis is right now. How'd that work out? Oh, right, they dumped him after three years because they realized how worthless it was to pay a cornerback like he's a top 5 quarterback, even if he's an All-Pro and still in his prime.

    Oh, and even if you include Nnamdi (I'm about to be cut or asked to take a paycut down to $4 million) Asomugha's current deal, at $16 million, Revis will still be requesting ~50% more then the top tier of cornerbacks in the league. Split hairs all you want between 60% and 50%, he's still not 1.5 times better than the next CB.

    Don't let your love for #24 cloud your judgment. I love him, but his soon-to-be demands will be outrageous and not financially feasible. The sooner Jets fans come to grips with that, the easier it will be to bear the loss of him.

  17. #477
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I don't read Cimini's articles nor do I follow him on Twitter, especially with cap-related matters. If you want good cap discussion, read Jason's material at nyjetscap or overthecap.

    It's pretty clear that Revis does not want to be paid on the CB market; he wants to take the Calvin Johnson / Larry Fitzgerald model of the "non-QB superstar market" route.

    Johnson and Fitzgerald's annual salary per year average is $16 million.

    And do you have any memory of how Feinsod & Schwartz have approached Revis's contract since he was drafted?? Drafted 14th and held out in Training Camp, demanding to be paid like a top 10 pick; holds out in 2010; "considers" holding out last year. Then the crap his agents are feeding the media this year.

    I'll stick to the facts and analytics of player salaries. You guys can read your tabloid BS.
    I am as down on Revis as anyone but the bolded part of your post is simply not true. Mike Tannenbaum picked him 14th and then tried to sign him to a six year deal which was the norm for top-5 picks only. Revis was always willing to sign his first deal at his slotted (14th) draft position money and that would have saved us a boatload as things turned out. We ended up giving him around $10 million more on that first deal because of the particular piece of Mike Tannenbaum stupidity.

    If we wanted to lock him up like a top-5 player then it was only reasonable for him to ask for more in that case. We wanted six years and we wanted to pay him like the #14 pick. In other words we wanted something for nothing and they shoved it up Mike T's a$$. Totally our fault.

  18. #478
    Look around the league at the top passing offenses -- the Patriots, Packers, and Saints. How do they operate?

    They spread the wealth. They operate on a "pick your poison" basis.

    Patriots receiving corps -- 2012
    Welker -- 118 receptions, 1354 yds, 6 TDs
    Lloyd -- 74 receptions, 911 yds, 4 TDs
    Gronkowski -- 55 receptions, 790 yds, 11 TDs (missed 5 games as well)
    Hernandez -- 51 receptions, 483 yards, 5 TDs (missed 6 games)

    Packers receiving corps -- 2012
    Randall Cobb -- 80 receptions, 954 yds, 8 TDs
    James Jones -- 64 receptions, 784 yds, 14 TDs
    Jermichael Finley -- 61 receptions, 667 yds, 2 TDs
    Jordy Nelson -- 49 receptions, 745 yds, 7 TDs (missed 4 games)
    Greg Jennings -- 36 receptions, 366 yds, 4 TDs (missed 8 games, not on team next year)

    Saints receiving corps -- 2012
    Jimmy Graham -- 85 receptions, 982 yds, 9 TDs
    Marques Colston -- 83 receptions, 1154 yds, 10 TDs
    Darren Sproles -- 75 receptions, 667 yds, 7 TDs
    Lance Moore -- 65 receptions, 1041 yds, 6 TDs


    What do they all have in common? Each team has 4 (or more) receiving options that put up 60+ catches in a season (when healthy). Sure, it's great to have Revis against a team like Houston or Detroit that pretty much has only one receiving threat, but Revis's value isn't as high against the potent passing attacks. They'll acknowledge whoever Revis is on, ignore that guy, and then exploit mismatches on other parts of the field.

    That's not to diminish Revis. He's a flawless player. That being said, these high-powered passing attacks (you can even include Denver in this too) will just pick apart other players. Oh, our #1 receiver is shut down? Let's just exploit the defense with our #2, 3, and 4 options or merely run the ball if they only put 6 in the box.

  19. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I am as down on Revis as anyone but the bolded part of your post is simply not true. Mike Tannenbaum picked him 14th and then tried to sign him to a six year deal which was the norm for top-5 picks only. Revis was always willing to sign his first deal at his slotted (14th) draft position money and that would have saved us a boatload as things turned out. We ended up giving him around $10 million more on that first deal because of the particular piece of Mike Tannenbaum stupidity.

    If we wanted to lock him up like a top-5 player then it was only reasonable for him to ask for more in that case. We wanted six years and we wanted to pay him like the #14 pick. In other words we wanted something for nothing and they shoved it up Mike T's a$$. Totally our fault.
    His deal voided into a 4 year deal based on playing time incentives, then it had "buy-back" options for year 5 and 6. That didn't matter because Revis and his agents knew that they'd be talking about a new contract before year 5-6 came about.

  20. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    And how has the Nnamdi contract worked out for the Eagles??

    Signed in 2011, will be cut after two seasons. Does it sound like he was worth the money?

    Or how about how he got to the free agency and the Eagles in the first place... The Raiders paid him $15 million over three years during his age-27, 28, and 29 seasons, pretty much the same age Revis is right now. How'd that work out? Oh, right, they dumped him after three years because they realized how worthless it was to pay a cornerback like he's a top 5 quarterback, even if he's an All-Pro and still in his prime.

    Oh, and even if you include Nnamdi (I'm about to be cut or asked to take a paycut down to $4 million) Asomugha's current deal, at $16 million, Revis will still be requesting ~50% more then the top tier of cornerbacks in the league. Split hairs all you want between 60% and 50%, he's still not 1.5 times better than the next CB.

    Don't let your love for #24 cloud your judgment. I love him, but his soon-to-be demands will be outrageous and not financially feasible. The sooner Jets fans come to grips with that, the easier it will be to bear the loss of him.
    Yeaaa I would not compare Revis to Nnamdi. I could write a page on why not to compare them but I'll spare you because I trust your football acumen is high enough not to compare those two players. I see Revis as a special player whom you really can't compare to anyone. As much as I think he is greedy and difficult and overly demanding, he really is that special. I'm not opposed to trading the guy just please get fair value. Oh yea Champ Bailey had some of his best years past the ripe age of 33...

    Bailey is someone you put in the conversation when talking Revis. Please leave the ****ing Nnamdi character out of Revis discussions thanks.

    I'm open to doing whatever benefits the Jets the most and costs them the least. If trading Revis for multiple early picks or signing him to a reasonable deal long term is the solution so be it. As long as it's a value decision and not and knee jerk reaction from a new GM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us