Thread: THIS is part of the problem... Re-Sign...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

THIS is part of the problem... Re-Sign...

NOW! Blast me if you want but why am I reading that we are deciding on 2nd round and 1st round tenders with player like Howard and Cumberland?

Why are we not signing them to 3-4 year deals and the 2-3 million that we will be guaranteeing these players THIS YEAR be used in the form of 5-7 million dollar guaranteed part of there deals to make that middle class core of a team...

Say what you want about the players but my overall point is lock up young, and cheapER than we could later on, this is why a James Ihedigbo has been successful elsewhere but were just out priced for us at the time of FA...

Brad Smith is another example of mismanagement is salary time and price...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MiseryLovesCompany99 View Post
    NOW! Blast me if you want but why am I reading that we are deciding on 2nd round and 1st round tenders with player like Howard and Cumberland?

Why are we not signing them to 3-4 year deals and the 2-3 million that we will be guaranteeing these players THIS YEAR be used in the form of 5-7 million dollar guaranteed part of there deals to make that middle class core of a team...

Say what you want about the players but my overall point is lock up young, and cheapER than we could later on, this is why a James Ihedigbo has been successful elsewhere but were just out priced for us at the time of FA...

agreed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    why wouldn't the player want to test the market?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it is a matter of players thinking they can get more so they test the market but this gives the team a way to get something in case the player is right. It also lets the league set the market for the guy so you don't over pay. It backfires if he would have accepted less in the first place but I assume the team made a low offer to see if he would bite.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Were the Jets priced out of James Ihedigbo or did they simply let him go? I dont' think Dig ever got more than the league minimum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ihedigbo successful?

He has been on teams that have had success, but he is backup and ST player, the same he was for us. Did he even start for NE when they had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ihedigbo is a special teams player that offers little else, and Brad Smith was grossly over paid by the Bills.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad Smith was vastly overpaid for his value by the Buffalo Bills

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Brad Smith was vastly overpaid for his value by the Buffalo Bills
    Exactly correct and for all the love "digs" gets on this board, he has in no way "been successful" as a player. His teams have had success and he contributes on special teams and i guess in dime packages, but there is a reason he keeps winding up on new teams every year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    IRonically, Dig and Smith are two perfect examples of guys that were properly let go.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ihedigbo successful?

He has been on teams that have had success, but he is backup and ST player, the same he was for us. Did he even start for NE
    Yes. And that's a big reason why:

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    when they had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith is another example of mismanagement is salary time and price...
    Honestly Both ihedigbo and brad smith did little for us and almost nothing for the teams they went to afterward.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Howard and Cumberland are examples of stop gaps. They can be retained in 2013 cheaply (and the tenders are being used just to make sure they're back) BUT the Jets have no plans to commit to either player long term.

The team has enough holes to fill this off season that they're willing to bring back a couple guys at relatively low starters salaries with plans to find better replacements in 2014 and beyond.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think I agree with the general sentiment of the post, but also agree that Ihedigbo and Smith (to a lesser extent) are bad examples.

I'd take a shot on a cheap 3-4 year deal on Howard. I think he can play RT and, at worst, back up as a swing tackle, in the NFL.

Cumberland I think is a fine number 2 tight end for a pass-heavy/spread team with a big-time quarterback. Not sure he's a good long term fit for the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I actually think I agree with the general sentiment of the post, but also agree that Ihedigbo and Smith (to a lesser extent) are bad examples.

I'd take a shot on a cheap 3-4 year deal on Howard. I think he can play RT and, at worst, back up as a swing tackle, in the NFL.

Cumberland I think is a fine number 2 tight end for a pass-heavy/spread team with a big-time quarterback. Not sure he's a good long term fit for the Jets.
    Tackles get paid big money in the NFL, If I was Howard I would not sign a long term deal for 3 years unless it was for 10 mill. with at least 4 as a SB. If he becomes a average RT after this season with the ability to slide to LT for a couple of games a year he will easily get 5 mill a year as a FA.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    With this philosophy of wanting to give long term deals instead of giving 1st or 2nd round tenders we would be stuck with Maybin right now eating up cap space. That's why you don't do that unless the player is already great or a solidified starter for the next 4-5 years.