Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hayden Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares what Tanny says? I mean given his history, since he said he loves Hayden he probably actually hates him.

Tanny....STFU nobody cares what you think about the Jets anymore. Hence, your current employment status.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm sure having a full season under his belt will be a huge benefit to the guy.

Its still a long shot, but certainly worth keeping an eye on. If he can at least become our blocking TE who can catch a pass occasionally, it would be a successful pickup.
    I think it would be more likely for him to be a receiving TE/Hback that has no fear of sacrificing his body for a block, or a reception. Basic run blocking is not that difficult if you're fearless, and relentless. He has great body control, athleticism, and instincts, so I see him being able to shield defenders off, fighting for position, and snatching the ball at it's highest point, and he especially has the flaw of never accepting that he has been beaten. True run blocking schemes, and pass blocking however, require years of experience working in tandem with a line so I doubt he'll ever become a true blocking TE. That stuff needs to be ingrained over the course of growing up, like hitting a baseball. You really can't learn that on the fly playing in the NFL. They can't allow TEs to miss assignments in real games, so they teach these guys to simply take out a man like a FB instead of using them as part of an orchestrated blocking scheme. We could really use a true blocking TE, switch Cumberland to more of a slot reciever, and use Rueland, and Smith, as interchangeable HBack/Fullbacks. Would be great versatility for the WCO especially down near the goal line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    name a tight end (any tight end) that the 2012 Jet defense could cover

Bart Scott, Bryan THomas, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith--- thankfully all flushed down the toilet finally

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good read

I really think its a good point that he even dressed for 9 games, having zero previous football experience.

If his learning curve is really flat and he can legitamtely compete for a starting job this season, that woudl be great for this team as we can save money at the position and have some legitimate blocking skills at the position for the first time in years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Bart Scott, Bryan THomas, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith--- thankfully all flushed down the toilet finally
    Matthew Mulligan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    ...............................Impressive

David Harris looks like he's on a morning jog there. smh

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Odd that he only dressed for 5 games if he was killing it in practice?

Or he was making huge mistakes on every other play.
    Dude he never saw a football before last year. The fact that he was able to learn enough in 6 months of practice to get on an NFL field and not make a fool of himself is rather remarkable.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are no longer old in the middle, in fact we are young almost everywhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Tim Tebow

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Tim Tebow
    Don't joke. If he moved to TE, and Hayden Smith improves even a little, we'd theoretically improve our TE situation by doing nothing other than letting our top two TEs leave via free agency......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beercules View Post
    Didn't see this posted, thought it was interesting...

Per Rotoworld...

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum said on NFL Network that the Jets' defense couldn't cover TE Hayden Smith in practices last season.
    Former Australian rugby star Smith spent most of 2012 on the Jets' practice squad. He could be a player to monitor in 2013 training camp, Smith's second year of organized football. "We could not cover this guy in practice," Tannenbaum said. "It would drive Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We could not cover this guy. He got better and better, wound up dressing for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers." The Jets have a hole at tight end with Dustin Keller almost certain to leave in free agency.

I know our defense isn't the best at covering TEs, but this is definitely encouraging insight.
    Reminds me of Pitotua

If he was even pretty good he would have been on the field, they were so depleted at wr that him catching one pass makes me believe he is not that good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Reminds me of Pitotua

If he was even pretty good he would have been on the field, they were so depleted at wr that him catching one pass makes me believe he is not that good.
    I think you need to catch up on Hayden. Dude never played football in his life until 3 years ago. And he got on the field and got 16 yds on a 3rd and 9. How many guys shoot for that moment most of thier lives and never get there. Too much too soon and he's a human penalty machine just from lack of the basics.

Been high on Hayden since day one... Got this when he got his number, but had to guess on how his name would be displayed:

'Course this one from 2009 didn't work out so well... still raises eybrows though: