Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayden Smith

Hayden Smith

Didn't see this posted, thought it was interesting...

Per Rotoworld...

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum said on NFL Network that the Jets' defense couldn't cover TE Hayden Smith in practices last season.
    Former Australian rugby star Smith spent most of 2012 on the Jets' practice squad. He could be a player to monitor in 2013 training camp, Smith's second year of organized football. "We could not cover this guy in practice," Tannenbaum said. "It would drive Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We could not cover this guy. He got better and better, wound up dressing for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers." The Jets have a hole at tight end with Dustin Keller almost certain to leave in free agency.

I know our defense isn't the best at covering TEs, but this is definitely encouraging insight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm sure having a full season under his belt will be a huge benefit to the guy.

Its still a long shot, but certainly worth keeping an eye on. If he can at least become our blocking TE who can catch a pass occasionally, it would be a successful pickup.

This guy has a lot of potential as a receiver and blocker. It may not even be possible to have him put it all together by 2013, but he could be a legitimate contributor in 2014 with his strength and athletic ability.

Jets Insider VIP
    Odd that he only dressed for 5 games if he was killing it in practice?

Or he was making huge mistakes on every other play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

Well we did have Bart Scott and Eric Smith covering him.

I would not count on this guy as Keller's replacement. He is a nice story and probably has talent and incredible athletic ability. But, he is very raw. Another training camp will help and the new TE coach is a good one. But still a long shot to be anything more than a PS player this year. At 28 hes a bit old for a raw prospect.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Soon as I hit 'enter' I knew it was coming.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I would not count on this guy as Keller's replacement. He is a nice story and probably has talent and incredible athletic ability. But, he is very raw. Another training camp will help and the new TE coach is a good one. But still a long shot to be anything more than a PS player this year. At 28 hes a bit old for a raw prospect.
    PS players and draft picks are all the Jets can afford this year.

Hall Of Fame

Especially odd given the amount of games where other TE's were injured.

I wonder which of our QBs it was who were throwing the passes to the 5th string TE. I bet it wasn't Sanchez.
    Last edited by EM31; 03-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    PS players and draft picks are all the Jets can afford this year.
    i don't understand. what else is there?

I remember reading at draftinsider recently that some Jets veterans were confused at how little playing time the younger guys were getting, especially towards the end of the year. J. White was singled out in the blurb as a guy who dominated practices but never played in games. I guess Smith was another.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    I remember reading at draftinsider recently that some Jets veterans were confused at how little playing time the younger guys were getting, especially towards the end of the year. J. White was singled out in the blurb as a guy who dominated practices but never played in games. I guess Smith was another.
    Mounting evidence of discrimination against the White man?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beercules View Post
    Didn't see this posted, thought it was interesting...

Per Rotoworld...

Former GM Mike Tannenbaum said on NFL Network that the Jets' defense couldn't cover TE Hayden Smith in practices last season.
    Former Australian rugby star Smith spent most of 2012 on the Jets' practice squad. He could be a player to monitor in 2013 training camp, Smith's second year of organized football. "We could not cover this guy in practice," Tannenbaum said. "It would drive Rex (Ryan) up a wall. We could not cover this guy. He got better and better, wound up dressing for five games, and actually caught a pass against the Chargers." The Jets have a hole at tight end with Dustin Keller almost certain to leave in free agency.

I know our defense isn't the best at covering TEs, but this is definitely encouraging insight.

...............................Impressive

All Pro

No, our D just can't cover ANY TE's.

Bingo.

Grain of salt fellas, Tannenbaum is trying to put a nice spin on things for a reason (i.e. there's a plan in place re: salary cap issues). Guy wants to have another GM job some day, at least I would imagine so.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Bingo.

Grain of salt fellas, Tannenbaum is trying to put a nice spin on things for a reason (i.e. there's a plan in place re: salary cap issues). Guy wants to have another GM job some day, at least I would imagine so.
    Definitely and I would assume he would have gotten more PT if he was that dominating in practice, but I'm not sure Mr. T would just make up the stuff about Hayden dominating in practice when it could be easily refuted by any coach orplayer that attended practice.

All Pro
    Getting open is one thing.

Catching the ball is another.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Bingo.

Bingo, I'm not buying the story because it would be the first honest thing Tannenbaum said in 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Getting open is one thing.

Catching the ball is another.

Yep, remember Johnny Lam Bam Jones...