Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browns Dump PSL! Wonder if other teams follow suit

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Browns Dump PSL! Wonder if other teams follow suit

Interesting, the Cleveland Browns will no longer charge for PSL's!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wns-dump-psls/

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the Jets or Giants won't

Why would they

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Interesting, the Cleveland Browns will no longer charge for PSL's!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wns-dump-psls/
    They still have PSLs, they just added some more sections that do not require a PSL.

Plus, it is Cleveland, surprised they were even able to sell any PSLs in the first place.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Browns are allowing you to buy a one-time 10-game season ticket in PSL sections without a PSL.

Next season, if someone wants the seats you got and wants to pay the PSL, you get evicted.

No different than the Jets offering up Club seats as face value for a single year without a PSL. It's a temporary way to fill unsold seats with paying customers.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will happen for the Jets in 2025. At that point all 15 year financing is done, it will be tough to sell a PSL for a stadium that is 50-60% through its life. All PSLs will have been paid in full so no one can revolt either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Browns are allowing you to buy a one-time 10-game season ticket in PSL sections without a PSL.

Next season, if someone wants the seats you got and wants to pay the PSL, you get evicted.

No different than the Jets offering up Club seats as face value for a single year without a PSL. It's a temporary way to fill unsold seats with paying customers.

SAR I
    There seem to be an infinite number of pricing models and strategies that can be used for season and single game tickets in conjunction with PSLs. This looks to be one way to fill seats for a full season while still keeping the option open to require a PSL the following year. Not a dumb move by the Browns.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to see a PSL associated with a better deal for the ticketholder. For example, you could buy a PSL and then that would lock-in ticket prices without annual increases for a certain period (say 5 years) versus buying a single season of tickets with no PSL and having to pay a premium of say 10-20% per ticket because there's no PSL associated with it. The name of the game seems to be flexibility....but only for the team. Those of us with PSLs do not have much flexibility...in fact, we have a requirement to buy tickets each year or forfeit the PSL. Heaven help us if Woody starts selling annual season tickets with no associated PSL right next to someone who shelled out $10K for license to buy the same tickets.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    It will happen for the Jets in 2025. At that point all 15 year financing is done, it will be tough to sell a PSL for a stadium that is 50-60% through its life. All PSLs will have been paid in full so no one can revolt either.
    At which point the fans will own the seats and no PSL could be charged, the seats are all owned, there wont be any PSLs left to sell. Not getting it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They still have PSLs, they just added some more sections that do not require a PSL.

Plus, it is Cleveland, surprised they were even able to sell any PSLs in the first place.
    Cleveland may not be the most vibrant city in the US, but they have great Football fans. Despite years of futility (and losing the team to Baltimore), they continue to support their team.

Good for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

Cleveland has some of the most loyal football fans in the nfl. They never have a blackout despite not making the playoffs since BB left.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we trade Woody for the Brown's owner?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    PSL Gold

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GLD&...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    PSL Gold
    My seats surely are.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My seats surely are.

SAR I
    mine too

TJs couch in his basement plus pretzels is a terrific investment too

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My seats surely are.

SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    mine too

TJs couch in his basement plus pretzels is a terrific investment too

It was about the chart you doofs. Gold has been hammered the last few months. So touchy...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good move by the Browns the city of Cleveland deserves it. Ofcourse no one in the NFL will follow suit.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Good move by the Browns the city of Cleveland deserves it. Ofcourse no one in the NFL will follow suit.
    Good lord, please read the article.

The Browns have not "eliminated PSL's". They haven't issued refunds to PSL owners, haven't taken back the paper, haven't gone back to 1980 season ticket renewals.

All the Browns did was say a) we're not raising ticket prices and b) if you want to be a new season ticket holder we'll let you select from the good views in PSL sections too and you won't need to buy a PSL to do it.

Big whoop. The Jets have done this since 2009. It's how you get rid of a single season ticket of 10 games in seats that have no PSL buyer. Single season, no strings attached, come get some. Browns get good again, you lose those seats the moment someone commits to the PSL.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    At which point the fans will own the seats and no PSL could be charged, the seats are all owned, there wont be any PSLs left to sell. Not getting it.
    Meaning I can't see the Jets doing what the Browns did until that year. Once PSLs are paid in full any PSLs that are given back or defaulted on I could then see being sold as just season tickets without a PSL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good lord, please read the article.

The Browns have not "eliminated PSL's". They haven't issued refunds to PSL owners, haven't taken back the paper, haven't gone back to 1980 season ticket renewals.

SAR I
    Good lord, please read my post I never said that. All I said was the Browns did a nice thing for their fans.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    Meaning I can't see the Jets doing what the Browns did until that year. Once PSLs are paid in full any PSLs that are given back or defaulted on I could then see being sold as just season tickets without a PSL.
    Which with everything being equal won't happen until 2023 at MetLife. The Browns played their first game in their new stadium in 1999 which is when, I assume, they started selling PSLs. It's all about depreciation. You could look at this like financing a car. You could lease for the first 13 years (StubHub/secondary market) and then buy in the 14th year and never have to pay for a PSL.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Which with everything being equal won't happen until 2023 at MetLife. The Browns played their first game in their new stadium in 1999 which is when, I assume, they started selling PSLs. It's all about depreciation. You could look at this like financing a car. You could lease for the first 13 years (StubHub/secondary market) and then buy in the 14th year and never have to pay for a PSL.
    The fan who gets the worst PSL beating of all is the fool who pays 8% interest for 15 years and then PSLs are worthless.

20k psl at 8% interest over 15 years is an insane amount of interest. Even more so when HELOCs are 2% and tax deductable.

There are only 3 choices for a PSL person, 1. pay cash 2. take 5 year plan at lower rate 3 do 15 year plan and walk away in years 1-4 before you pay too much principal and you are still underwater.

Going the whole 15 years at 8% in insane!!!!

By year 6-8 most will be paid off even if on 15 year plan as long as PSLs dont lose too much value.