Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Lattimore - Take a chance?

Question Marcus Lattimore - Take a chance?

I'm wondering where Marcus Lattimore will go in the draft. There's no doubting his talent. With a player like him I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the 1st round. Nor would I be surprised if he fell to the 4th round or later. This one is difficult to predict. At what point does his draft stock equal taking the risk?

Jets Insider VIP
    Latest I saw didn't look to promising for him as far as his draft stock. Per roto...

SPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) stands little chance of playing football during his rookie season.
    "The medicals on him are not great," said Mort. "Dr. (James) Andrews, who did the surgery, says it's one of the toughest surgeries he's ever had. ... You take Marcus Lattimore, you're taking him for 2014. Nobody wants to shoot down the inspiration for him, but the bottom line is it's going to be a long road." Expect Lattimore to be a middle- to late-round flier in April's draft. Feb 27 - 6:00 PM

Hall Of Fame
    I am not a doctor but I did not like the way his knee looked when they showed him rehabbing on NFLN.

I am sure there will be plenty of interest in him as a UDFA from many teams

If he's there at #9, you pull the trigger.

He's a risk but late in the 2nd rd after a trade down,
    makes alot of sense for the jets.

All Pro
    2nd Round? Yeah, that's going to happen... the guy totally destroyed his knee... three ligaments. I wish him the best, but he is a very very risky guy to waste ANY pick on. UDFA perhaps.

I wish Marcus Lattimore a good healthy career in the NFL...

But Why would you want as a Jet Fan a RB with 2 ACL injuries in Both Knees...

Then want to spend a High Draft Pick ...

Just to be clear, I'm asking at what point in our draft is picking Lattimore worth the risk. I'm also curious where people think he'll go overall.

A sidenote: Didn't Willis McGahee have the same injury?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wPOfTGegA

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm asking at what point in our draft is picking Lattimore worth the risk. I'm also curious where people think he'll go overall.

A sidenote: Didn't Willis McGahee have the same injury?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wPOfTGegA
    7th Round or UDFA for me ...

McGahee was equally bad with Bone going thru the Skin in that Championship Game against OHio ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    If he's there at #9, you pull the trigger.
    I can't tell you how many times I wanted to pull the trigger after the Jets picked.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    7th Round or UDFA for me ...

McGahee was equally bad with Bone going thru the Skin in that Championship Game against OHio ...
    Can't help but draw similarities in the circumstances between these two players... which is why I have a feeling Lattimore will still go in the 1st round.

Prior to his knee injury in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, McGahee was considered "a cinch top-five pick." Afterwards, McGahee was projected a late third round pick due to risk of "a long rehabilitation process". Eventually, he was selected at number 23 pick in the 2003 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. Due to the length of the rehabilitation for his knee he sat out the entire 2003 season, but subsequently had three straight 1,000 yard rushing seasons upon his return to playing.
    You can say the exact same thing about Lattimore, guaranteed Top 5 pick before the injury. McGahee still got picked in the 1st round and his injury only occurred a few months prior to the draft. Lattimore has 2 months and a decade of improvements in ligament surgeries on McGahee. I could easily see a team like the Patriots taking a flier on him with their late 1st round pick. Any team that isn't hurting for an immediate impact player from their draft might be willing to take the chance early. In the end, McGahee was still projected to be a late third round pick... that's what they are claiming for Lattimore as well. I'd take him with our 3rd easily if we missed out on Ball in the 2nd. Hell I'd take him even with selecting Ball in the 2nd.
    Last edited by southside; 03-05-2013 at 06:46 PM.

All League
    Can't help but draw similarities in the circumstances between these two players... which is why I have a feeling Lattimore will still go in the 1st round.

You can say the exact same thing about Lattimore, guaranteed Top 5 pick before the injury. McGahee still got picked in the 1st round and his injury only occurred a few months prior to the draft. Lattimore has 2 months and a decade of improvements in ligament surgeries on McGahee. I could easily see a team like the Patriots taking a flier on him with their late 1st round pick. Any team that isn't hurting for an immediate impact player from their draft might be willing to take the chance early. In the end, McGahee was still projected to be a late third round pick... that's what they are claiming for Lattimore as well. I'd take him with our 3rd easily if we missed out on Ball in the 2nd. Hell I'd take him even with selecting Ball in the 2nd.
    There might not be any healthy RB's going in the first round this year. No way he goes in the first. Maybe 4th or later for a team deep with picks...like the 49ers.

I'd not take a RB in the first round at #9 even if Lattimore were healthy.

Top two round picks have to go toward O Line and Pass Rushing DE/OLBs. In round 3 you can think about it.

All Pro

I'm sorry but this is just idiotic. Teams don't "take flyers" on their 1st round pick. Just don't. and Lattimore had a brutally bad injury for a RB... here's from he University paper... yeah, THREE ligaments in one knee...!!!

Last October, star University of South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore went down with one of the worst knee injuries the sports world has ever seen. In the days that followed, it would have been easy to think his career over—another sobering reminder that injuries are a part of football.
    Yet this one felt different. The outpouring of support began immediately. After becoming a sure lock for the early rounds of the NFL draft, Lattimore's career was supposed to end years from now following a successful, multiple-year stint in the pros.
    Believe it or not, it still can.
    At the time, however, it didn't seem fair. A 21 year-old budding superstar is not supposed to suffer one career-threatening knee injury, much less two—Lattimore tore his left ACL in 2011. He also shouldn't have to work through months of grueling rehab once, let alone twice.
    Unfortunately, that is where Lattimore stands today, as according to a report by Geoff Hobson of the Cincinnati Bengals' official website, he suffered tears of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) in his right knee on the play.

youtube.com/watch?v=v65Uy28qOkU&feature=youtu.be

Would take a shot in the 4th if we have extra picks via Revis or trade down......if not, the 5th

5th round at earliest likely undrafted. He still looks good as the RB class looks bad but you have to keep in mind this wasn't his 1st injury issue. He is going to be slow coming back and may never play again.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I wanted to pull the trigger after the Jets picked.
    Nobody thought that was funny, because what I wrote has a chance of happening.

Small chance, but it exists.

Jets Insider VIP
    No shot at first round.

He was note even as close to as talented as McGahee. Not to mention that the Bills were probably the only team dumb enough to take McGahee in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    No shot at first round.

He was note even as close to as talented as McGahee. Not to mention that the Bills were probably the only team dumb enough to take McGahee in the first.
    Woah... Buffalo wasn't the only team to have a 1st round grade on him...

Anywho, Lattimore may go in the third but probably fourth would be my guess...

3rd or 4th round reserved for Safety - 5th would be ok but there will be better options in the 2nd