Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idzik Speaks On Tebow

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik Speaks On Tebow

Take this article for what it's worth. Figured it's an off-season update.

Jets GM says Tebow could start
    NESN

Updated Mar 5, 2013 12:16 PM ET

If the only reason the New York Jets acquired Tim Tebow was to have him be a publicity draw, then it only makes sense that the team would like to get a few more rounds out of the dog-and-pony show before releasing or trading the backup quarterback.

Jets general manager John Idzik left that possibility open this week, saying on a conference call with Jets fans Monday that Tebow will remain in contention for the quarterback job that he never seemed to have a chance at before.

“Tim, as you know, is currently on our roster,” Idzik said. “What we’re doing is we’re trying to increase competition at [quarterback], so we’re going to let the competition play out. We’re going to see who we’re able to bring on board and let it play out this offseason and into training camp. So, I think that’ll be healthy for all concerned, including Tim.”

While most league sources — and anyone watching the Jets last season, either up-close or from afar — would say that Tebow is certain to be released or traded before next season, Idzik sounded like he was sticking to the script the Jets handed out when they first acquired Tebow last year. Tebow never really contended for the starting job in 2012, with coach Rex Ryan opting to stick with Mark Sanchez through some rough patches or go with third-stringer Greg McElroy when Sanchez was benched.

The Jets are likely trying to get some value back in a trade for Tebow, and management may be hoping that a little patience — and talking up Tebow behind the scenes — could help them pull off a trade rather than just having to release Tebow before next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade him or keep him, but I wouldn't release him. It might be interesting to if/how Marty Mornhinweg would use him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Trade him or keep him, but I wouldn't release him. It might be interesting to if/how Marty Mornhinweg would use him.
    That's about where I am as well.

BTW, love the fat jet sig! Great logo

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    The WCO is probably the worst offense you could put Tebow in. His accuracy is abysmal.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    BTW, love the fat jet sig! Great logo
    Big cans have something to be said for them as well

Ljr

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe no one is giving them the time of day on a trade for Tebow ... because no one wants him. Thus, they are going to let him at least compete in a fair competition for the starting QB job (since we will most definitely have an open competition). I don't see what the big deal is and why people have to read so much into it. The Jets don't have a trade offer on the table and rather than just releasing him they are going to actually give him a chance at the starting QB job unless a team offers a trade for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, talk about a stretch.

All he said is that he is currently on the roster and they want competition at every position.

To say that Idzik is saying Tebow can start is silly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL at Journalism these days:

Title of article is "Jets GM says Tebow Could start", actual quote "“Tim, as you know, is currently on our roster,” Idzik said. “What we’re doing is we’re trying to increase competition at [quarterback], so we’re going to let the competition play out. We’re going to see who we’re able to bring on board and let it play out this offseason and into training camp. So, I think that’ll be healthy for all concerned, including Tim.”

Inb4 some SOJF starts screaming that Idzik is a moron based on the title of the Article rather than the substance of Idzik's statement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Maybe no one is giving them the time of day on a trade for Tebow ... because no one wants him. Thus, they are going to let him at least compete in a fair competition for the starting QB job (since we will most definitely have an open competition). I don't see what the big deal is and why people have to read so much into it. The Jets don't have a trade offer on the table and rather than just releasing him they are going to actually give him a chance at the starting QB job unless a team offers a trade for him.
    But why pay him 2.58 million to do so? Makes no sense to keep him just because you couldnt trade him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Tebow is going to turn into Montana,or Manning, or Brady, but if we are going to keep him (I agree, trade him or keep him), let him try and play the fxxxing position. Tell him to lay off the weights, drop some lbs, and prepare to try out at the qb position. Let's see what this guy can do for once and for all. No gimmicks, no punt protection, no split out as a stupid decoy.

I'd rather him start over Sanchez any day. At least there'd be some fight in him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Wow, talk about a stretch.

All he said is that he is currently on the roster and they want competition at every position.

To say that Idzik is saying Tebow can start is silly.
    Aren't those the same thing?

If there is an open competition, anybody can win the starting job.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Aren't those the same thing?

If there is an open competition, anybody can win the starting job.
    So what you are saying that the Jets and every team COULD field a team of PS players, they all compete so....

No, it's not the same thing. Not anyone can win a job, even if they say it's open competition. Key was currently on the roster. Says it all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    I don't think Tebow is going to turn into Montana,or Manning, or Brady, but if we are going to keep him (I agree, trade him or keep him), let him try and play the fxxxing position. Tell him to lay off the weights, drop some lbs, and prepare to try out at the qb position. Let's see what this guy can do for once and for all. No gimmicks, no punt protection, no split out as a stupid decoy.

I'd rather him start over Sanchez any day. At least there'd be some fight in him.
    He did try and play the position and he was awful in camp/practice. Did you hear Revis yesterday? He was asked if he thought the Jets could win with Sanchez, he didn't hesitate and say "yes if he gets some help." He was then asked if he thought Tebow could start in the NFL, he laughed.

How BAD must Tebow be if that is Revis' response to those two qusetions?

Idzik's statement is standard GM BS.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm seriously considering throwing a giant party when we cut this clown because it will mean I'll never hear him mentioned with the Jets in the same sentence ever again. It's completely hilarious that journalists are still writing articles about this doofus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm so happy this thread was started. I've been missing the Tebow fanboys, and this should pull them all out of hiding despite there being nothing of substance in the original post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So what you are saying that the Jets and every team COULD field a team of PS players, they all compete so....

No, it's not the same thing. Not anyone can win a job, even if they say it's open competition. Key was currently on the roster. Says it all.
    No. Tebow is not a PS player. He is a backup getting paid millions. He will be treated differently.

And I do agree with you. The comment about him being "currently" on the roster is a bit of a hint. I think he will be gone one way or another.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. Tebow is not a PS player. He is a backup getting paid millions. He will be treated differently.

And I do agree with you. The comment about him being "currently" on the roster is a bit of a hint. I think he will be gone one way or another.
    Give it time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if Tim is capable of being a middle of the pack starter (which he likely isn't), you have to get rid of him. Too much of a sideshow.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Whats he going to say, we're trying to dump him?

Or that he has no chance in hell of playing QB that's why we've brought in and will continue to bring in whatever is left out there?

He is no better than a PS player, he was in on a handful of plays last season and no one needs to see any more from him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahhahahhaahhahahahhahaha that is what I said all along we didn't know what the new GM would do but tebow at least deserves to be in the competition that he did not have a chance to last season.

This is the season suckchez needs to worry about because he will have competition for once in his career.