Jets GM says Tebow could start
Updated Mar 5, 2013 12:16 PM ET
If the only reason the New York Jets acquired Tim Tebow was to have him be a publicity draw, then it only makes sense that the team would like to get a few more rounds out of the dog-and-pony show before releasing or trading the backup quarterback.
Jets general manager John Idzik left that possibility open this week, saying on a conference call with Jets fans Monday that Tebow will remain in contention for the quarterback job that he never seemed to have a chance at before.
“Tim, as you know, is currently on our roster,” Idzik said. “What we’re doing is we’re trying to increase competition at [quarterback], so we’re going to let the competition play out. We’re going to see who we’re able to bring on board and let it play out this offseason and into training camp. So, I think that’ll be healthy for all concerned, including Tim.”
While most league sources — and anyone watching the Jets last season, either up-close or from afar — would say that Tebow is certain to be released or traded before next season, Idzik sounded like he was sticking to the script the Jets handed out when they first acquired Tebow last year. Tebow never really contended for the starting job in 2012, with coach Rex Ryan opting to stick with Mark Sanchez through some rough patches or go with third-stringer Greg McElroy when Sanchez was benched.
The Jets are likely trying to get some value back in a trade for Tebow, and management may be hoping that a little patience — and talking up Tebow behind the scenes — could help them pull off a trade rather than just having to release Tebow before next season.