Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: 4 years of subpar offense - Is it Rex, is it the OCs, is it the QBs, something else?

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,861

    4 years of subpar offense - Is it Rex, is it the OCs, is it the QBs, something else?

    In year 6 of his tenure as head coach, Rex Ryan is on his 3rd offensive coordinator and 2nd highly drafted QB. Yet, the offense continues to struggle and hasn't looked truly good since the days of a healthy Holmes, Braylon Edwards, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Tony Richardson.

    So what gives?

    Are Sanchez and Geno just not good enough? Were Schotty, Sparano, and MM all idiots? Is it something Rex is doing?

    Or, is it a constantly changing combination of things.....When Sanchez was playing well we couldn't protect him? When Geno is starting to get it he loses Decker and Nelson/Kerley really don't scare anyone?

    EDIT: I'm intentionally not starting this thread on the Strip because it will become a LOLGFY sh!tshow in about 3 seconds!

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    10,858
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    In year 6 of his tenure as head coach, Rex Ryan is on his 3rd offensive coordinator and 2nd highly drafted QB. Yet, the offense continues to struggle and hasn't looked truly good since the days of a healthy Holmes, Braylon Edwards, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Tony Richardson.

    So what gives?

    Are Sanchez and Geno just not good enough? Were Schotty, Sparano, and MM all idiots? Is it something Rex is doing?

    Or, is it a constantly changing combination of things.....When Sanchez was playing well we couldn't protect him? When Geno is starting to get it he loses Decker and Nelson/Kerley really don't scare anyone?

    EDIT: I'm intentionally not starting this thread on the Strip because it will become a LOLGFY sh!tshow in about 3 seconds!
    There all ****. Sorry thats just the way it is. do you remember even though it imploded how exciting games were when a washed up Favre was here? thats a qb we dont have one of those not even a washed up favre. Imagine just imagine if we had a rodgers a manning a rivers fck even a washed up favre again. Im sick of the sht i dont want to make anymore excuses or even argue they all sucked period.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Rex, Schotty, Soprano, Marty, Sanchez and Geno all deserve each other

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,678
    Jets, like any other team, can't rely on hitting the QB draft lottery - because it barely ever works out.

    I think whats clear at this point is that Rex and Co are never going to be able to truly develop a QB. Thats just not what he is.

    If the Jets want to stick with Rex, then they need to bring in a solid veteran QB on a big contract. And Vick doesn't count.

    Rex isn't alone in this, but he just doesn't look like the guy to be developing a QB.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,521
    I was at the game and I was beyond disgusted. We have two receivers... Decker and Kerley. Decker was hurt and that hurt our offense. And I like Kerly a lot but nobody fears him. Tired of seeing all of the other crap we put out at receiver and TE. I give Amaro the benefit of the doubt for now because he's a rook.

    But damn...our offense sucks. MM called a lousy game and he, along with Geno, cost us the game. I'm still not sure what we have in Geno but I know one thing... it's fargin' hard to win without weapons. We need a number 1 receiver to compliment Decker and Kerley.

    Damn this team makes you nauseous at times.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,287
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

    Damn this team makes you nauseous at times.
    I don't mind a loss, but when you use 40+ years of experience to evaluate a team..and your gut tells you, three games in....."not this team..not this coach...not this QB...not this year...again...."....it's a dead feeling, one I really don't care to deal with much longer.

    Had a Friend, loooong time Jet fan...give up last year. He was was done. FInito. Real anger at the whole inept organization. We all busted his chops., and got a big kick out of his "tantrum". Last week, he drove to Lambeau...as a Packers fan! We busted his chops...and laughingly waited for him to snap out of it.....we're still waiting....and I'm not laughing so hard now.

  7. #7
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,680
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I was at the game and I was beyond disgusted. We have two receivers... Decker and Kerley. Decker was hurt and that hurt our offense. And I like Kerly a lot but nobody fears him. Tired of seeing all of the other crap we put out at receiver and TE. I give Amaro the benefit of the doubt for now because he's a rook.

    But damn...our offense sucks. MM called a lousy game and he, along with Geno, cost us the game. I'm still not sure what we have in Geno but I know one thing... it's fargin' hard to win without weapons. We need a number 1 receiver to compliment Decker and Kerley.

    Damn this team makes you nauseous at times.
    This. I think it's a real bad combination. Especially MM's play calling. Horrific in the red zone.

  8. #8
    We need a real head coach who will take control of the team and know when to run the ball, when to sit Chris Johnson, when to blitz (not every play), etc.

  9. #9

    Talking Big time receivers make the difference........

    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I was at the game and I was beyond disgusted. We have two receivers... Decker and Kerley. Decker was hurt and that hurt our offense. And I like Kerly a lot but nobody fears him. Tired of seeing all of the other crap we put out at receiver and TE. I give Amaro the benefit of the doubt for now because he's a rook.

    But damn...our offense sucks. MM called a lousy game and he, along with Geno, cost us the game. I'm still not sure what we have in Geno but I know one thing... it's fargin' hard to win without weapons. We need a number 1 receiver to compliment Decker and Kerley.

    Damn this team makes you nauseous at times.
    ...
    Agree. The call by MM to run Geno into the line at 3rd and 2 was atrocious. Why have Ivory and Powell on the team if you don't run
    them in critical situations. Jets offense is extremely frustrating. 1. Can anyone coach Nelson not to hold the football out like a loaf of bread.?
    2. Why is AA out on an island with these big receivers..? the kid plays his heart out but he's not a natural CB. where is the safety help.
    3. Most important-- when we had big time receivers-- Even with Sanchez-- we won these types of games.!

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,235
    We need talent on O, and we better get some before Nick, and Brick leave.

  11. #11
    I think the answer here is that no matter how high our hopes were at the start of the season, the reality is that this is a team with a lot of flaws.

    While the "weapons" (for lack of a better term) on offense are better at only one position -- WR -- and the "better" is Decker. The rest of the WR's are either the same players as last season or marginal players just like last season. They are no better at RB, maybe worse with Ivory and CJ as #1 and #2, rather than Ivory and Powell. At this point it looks like CJ is done, and Powell is the better player. At TE, ugghhh, why do they love Cumberland so much? Start Amaro! He is a playmaker! That is why he was drafted!

    The OL is the same and only getting worse. How many years does Colon have to play before he stops committing stupid penalties? Winters? From what I've seen, DT's know the book on him. He can be beat, in an ugly way, on an inside pass rush move. It happens every single game.

    Geno. A lot of guys are counting on him and he is letting them down. While Rex seems concerned that criticism may hurt Geno's confidence, I think the opposite is true. The kid needs an ass-kicking from his HC. A Parcells' type vocal beat down and undressing. Rex needs to break out the tough love if he wants Geno to develop. Young QB's have lots of friends on the team and coaching staff, the HC should not be one of them.

    The D front 7, as everyone knows, is the best unit on the team. But they are young and as good as they are, they really need to step it up. They do not seem to make the big third down stop when needed, and where are the strip sacks?

    The DBs are a work in progress. With 2 recent first round picks and McDougle returning next year, they should get better, but right now, they are not very good.

    This is the reality of the 2014 season. Learn to accept it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    We need a real head coach who will take control of the team and know when to run the ball, when to sit Chris Johnson, when to blitz (not every play), etc.
    ....Yeah, I am really getting tired of Rex losing these type of games. Can't believe Mr. August ( Jalen Saunders) muffed that punt.... that was critical.

    Methinks if we go 6-10, Idzik needs to get a new HC.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,412
    Seemed like Marty Merkinwig was channelling his inner-Schotty last night. With less pre-snap movement of course.

  14. #14
    What's with these football threads in teh Hampur.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    In year 6 of his tenure as head coach, Rex Ryan is on his 3rd offensive coordinator and 2nd highly drafted QB. Yet, the offense continues to struggle and hasn't looked truly good since the days of a healthy Holmes, Braylon Edwards, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Tony Richardson.

    So what gives?

    Are Sanchez and Geno just not good enough? Were Schotty, Sparano, and MM all idiots? Is it something Rex is doing?

    Or, is it a constantly changing combination of things.....When Sanchez was playing well we couldn't protect him? When Geno is starting to get it he loses Decker and Nelson/Kerley really don't scare anyone?

    EDIT: I'm intentionally not starting this thread on the Strip because it will become a LOLGFY sh!tshow in about 3 seconds!

    The one constant is REX!!! Yet the Rex homers don't see it. I like Rex, but I'm just tired of a Rex coached team looking completely unprepared, undisciplined and just looking like crap week in and out. The reason this team is not taken serious is because of this. Rex talks about how good this team is going to be, yet nothing. 6 years of this is way too much.

    Rex and the entire staff needs to go. If not then this team will continue to repeat this cycle of crap.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    4,023
    LOLGFY. What a shltshow this thread is.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I don't mind a loss, but when you use 40+ years of experience to evaluate a team..and your gut tells you, three games in....."not this team..not this coach...not this QB...not this year...again...."....it's a dead feeling, one I really don't care to deal with much longer.
    Damnit, you suck. That's exactly what I was thinking after the game. I went in to this season a full Rex and co. supporter. After last week, a little doubt. Then after last night, I'm pretty sure Rex and Geno, et al, are not the ones to take the Jets to the promised land. It's the same thing, every year the past few years. Same Rex post game press conference. "I know we're better. We just have to get better" and nothing ever changes. Same with the quarterback post game - "It's my fault, I have to get better" and nothing ever changes. All around the Jets world, same song. Heard on SportsNite - Giants coach was all over the D the previous week to force turnovers. What happens? they force 3. How come the Jets D has, what, 2 turnovers all season so far? That's pathetic. Same quarterback crap. Turnovers, pick six, fumbles. We've got Tony Banks at QB the last 4 years. Unreal.

    And nothing ever changes. Same shlt. Stupid penalties, turnovers at critical times. D can't stop anyone on 3rd down. D can't force a turnover. Pathetic pass rush. I mean, it is just the same shlt, over and over and over. Mind numbing.

  18. #18

    Thumbs down Rex teams in Red Zone....

    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    The one constant is REX!!! Yet the Rex homers don't see it. I like Rex, but I'm just tired of a Rex coached team looking completely unprepared, undisciplined and just looking like crap week in and out. The reason this team is not taken serious is because of this. Rex talks about how good this team is going to be, yet nothing. 6 years of this is way too much.

    Rex and the entire staff needs to go. If not then this team will continue to repeat this cycle of crap.
    jets poor in Red Zone again--
    ....the Jets' one TD in six trips into the red zone "That's completely awful," said Smith.

    Not just awful but statistically one of the worst games in franchise history. In the last 50 seasons, dating to 1965, we've had only three one-touchdown red zone games in six drives: against New England in 1983 (1 TD, 4 FGs) and in 2008 at Buffalo (1 TD, 4 FGs) and tonight (1 TD, 3 FGs). The 16 points is the lowest total in that half century with at least six RZ drives.

  19. #19
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,680
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think the answer here is that no matter how high our hopes were at the start of the season, the reality is that this is a team with a lot of flaws.

    While the "weapons" (for lack of a better term) on offense are better at only one position -- WR -- and the "better" is Decker. The rest of the WR's are either the same players as last season or marginal players just like last season. They are no better at RB, maybe worse with Ivory and CJ as #1 and #2, rather than Ivory and Powell. At this point it looks like CJ is done, and Powell is the better player. At TE, ugghhh, why do they love Cumberland so much? Start Amaro! He is a playmaker! That is why he was drafted!

    The OL is the same and only getting worse. How many years does Colon have to play before he stops committing stupid penalties? Winters? From what I've seen, DT's know the book on him. He can be beat, in an ugly way, on an inside pass rush move. It happens every single game.

    Geno. A lot of guys are counting on him and he is letting them down. While Rex seems concerned that criticism may hurt Geno's confidence, I think the opposite is true. The kid needs an ass-kicking from his HC. A Parcells' type vocal beat down and undressing. Rex needs to break out the tough love if he wants Geno to develop. Young QB's have lots of friends on the team and coaching staff, the HC should not be one of them.

    The D front 7, as everyone knows, is the best unit on the team. But they are young and as good as they are, they really need to step it up. They do not seem to make the big third down stop when needed, and where are the strip sacks?

    The DBs are a work in progress. With 2 recent first round picks and McDougle returning next year, they should get better, but right now, they are not very good.

    This is the reality of the 2014 season. Learn to accept it.
    What we got here is a buncha Lollygaggers.


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    What we got here is a buncha Lollygaggers.

    Ironically, I think a blow up by the HC is exactly what this team needs. Rex needs to put the fear of God in them. In one of the Giants SB years, they were playing poorly early and after a game Parcells grabbed a garbage can and dumped it in the middle of the locker room and going on a tirade telling the players that they were just like the refuse on the floor "garbage", and he stormed off. They played well from the that point through a SB win. LT joked with BP after the game that they they did pretty well for "garbage".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us