Thread: Chase Daniel

Chase Daniel

Since the vast majority of us are throwing sh*t at a wall and hoping something will stick, I figured I'd throw out a QB name that I haven't seen a lot around these parts.

Chase Daniel.

He's a shrimp no doubt, but has been tutored by Drew Brees for the majority of his career, he's 26, and will probably look for a new home with a potential to start.

I think that Matt Moore is going to demand too much money as the only real viable starter on the market, and Daniel would certainly come cheap. And I would much rather explore TE/S/OL depth during the draft than take a flier on a 3-5th round QB. Tebow should be gone by June, McElroy showed that he's really nothing more than a backup.

Am I crazy? Tear me apart draftniks/armchair scouts.

Daniel was supposed to be "NFL ready" coming out of Missouri.

Unfortunately for him he's behind Brees.

Not a bad idea, but that doesn't mean much since most of us will try anything at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Daniel was supposed to be "NFL ready" coming out of Missouri.

Unfortunately for him he's behind Brees.

Not a bad idea, but that doesn't mean much since most of us will try anything at this point.
    Agreed. We're going to have to bring in a QB whether it's through the draft or via free agency, so why not take a chance on a guy who's farther along than a rookie, is still in his prime, and not washed up like guys like Garrard?

Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    Since the vast majority of us are throwing sh*t at a wall and hoping something will stick, I figured I'd throw out a QB name that I haven't seen a lot around these parts.

Chase Daniel.

He's a shrimp no doubt, but has been tutored by Drew Brees for the majority of his career, he's 26, and will probably look for a new home with a potential to start.

I think that Matt Moore is going to demand too much money as the only real viable starter on the market, and Daniel would certainly come cheap. And I would much rather explore TE/S/OL depth during the draft than take a flier on a 3-5th round QB. Tebow should be gone by June, McElroy showed that he's really nothing more than a backup.

Playing behind Brees doesn't equate to "being tutored".

You are taught and groomed by coaches, you are influenced by watching those that play in front of you.

It's an interesting idea, and has just about as much potential as a lot of the other names that have been thrown out - I just don't agree with the leap in logic that because he's a Saints backup he's been magically taught how to be Brees by Brees.

Chase is Chase, and Drew is Drew.

All Pro
    I agree. I'd love to add him to the mix. I don't agree that Gerrard is washed up, but his ceiling is an average QB that's likely to miss half our games if he starts. I think Gerrard would give us one of the best backups in the NFL if someone can beat him out in camp. I say we should bring in as many guys with potential as we can so that hopefully we have a great backup instead of an average starter for probably only half the year.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Playing behind Brees doesn't equate to "being tutored".

You are taught and groomed by coaches, you are influenced by watching those that play in front of you.

It's an interesting idea, and has just about as much potential as a lot of the other names that have been thrown out - I just don't agree with the leap in logic that because he's a Saints backup he's been magically taught how to be Brees by Brees.

Chase is Chase, and Drew is Drew.
    Way to play the semantics game. Would you say that learning under Drew Brees provides more of an advantage than say learning under a guy like Matt Cassell or even a mid-level guy like Matt Hasselbeck?

I'm not putting THAT much stock into the whole Drew Brees connection, but it's something that sets him apart from the current crop of FA QBs. I never said he would magically become Brees, but by studying his work habits, progressions and all the other nuances that go into becoming a good quarterback, he's had a good TUTOR.

Way to play the semantics game. Would you say that learning under Drew Brees provides more of an advantage than say learning under a guy like Matt Cassell or even a mid-level guy like Matt Hasselbeck?

I'm not putting THAT much stock into the whole Drew Brees connection, but it's something that sets him apart from the current crop of FA QBs. I never said he would magically become Brees, but by studying his work habits, progressions and all the other nuances that go into becoming a good quarterback, he's had a good TUTOR.
    Curtis Painter still sucks.

I'm not playing a game. It's common sense... Drew Brees has nothing to do with it really.

It all comes down to Chase Daniels and his combination of talent and his aptitude for learning. If he's a good learner and has the talent to apply what he learns, then sure, being around Brees was probably good for him.

That said, you can send your kid to an Ivy League school and if they aren't a good learner, they won't come out smarter and more capable than a kid that was sent to a small college but has superior aptitude for learning.

My opinion is that a good learner, with athletic talent, is going to emerge regardless of who they play behind or are coached by, because they have the rare ability to absorb, apply and implement that knowledge.

I'd say Sanchez, for all the work he puts in, isn't a strong learner. Which is why the game always appears to quick for him. He obviously has physical talent, the problem is between his ears. I don't think it would have mattered if he played behind Peyton Manning or The Waterboy, it comes down to the learner, not the mentor.

All League
    As a Mizzou season ticket holder, I've seen Daniel extensively.

He's short, but then we all know that...he's also a gamer though. His arm is not overpowering..I would say barely NFL adequate... but he was accurate and anticipated plays well. He did however need to keep college D's off-balance by being a running threat, which isn't likely to be an asset in the NFL as he ain't a speed demon like RGIII or Kapernik.

He'd be worth a look, but in my mind he was always going to be the career back-up at the NFL level.

All League

Chase Daniel.

Congrats - this is not a dumb idea. Unless the 2nd coming of Aaron Rogers drops into the Jets lap, there is no reason not to look at low risk/high potential guys.

Assuming he is a FA, he costs almost nothing to bring into camp.

Banned

Chase Daniel.

He has a career completion percentage of 77.8% and a career QB rating of 92.1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    He has a career completion percentage of 77.8% and a career QB rating of 92.1
    Sign me up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Sign me up ...
    9 career attempts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    9 career attempts
    Indicative of a long and successful career according to the experts on JI.

All Pro
    He went to the same high school as.....
    Wait for it.....

Greg McElroy!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    9 career attempts
    68% at college. 4 points better than Sanchez at college not that it means diddly squat in the big picture.