Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, lemme try this.... I got a hernia B**CHES!!

Ok, lemme try this.... I got a hernia B**CHES!!

So i felt a little air pocket above my navel a few weeks back and then it went away. Yesterday while working, I felt a small hard mass just above my navel. I work in an ER so i asked my doctor buddy his opinion. He said it was probably a hernia and it was minor. He also pushed the hard mass back in so all I feel now is the air pocket (crepitus) The two of us go to CROSSFIT at the same gym and he said it wouldn't stop him from working out. He also told me to get the opinion of our Chief of Surgery. He told me it was a Supra Umbilical Hernia. He said it was small and surgery would be elective at this point. His advice was to NOT gain 30-40 lbs and breath right when I lift weight. I gotta admit, I am still kinda freaked out that I have a hernia albeit small. Anyone else ever had one or currently has one they are doing nothing about? Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    The surgery is not that bad. Especially if it is a small hernia. My friend had one done about a year ago and all he had was a little bit of soreness.

I would just get it fixed if I were you. If/when it gets bigger you will regret not getting it done.

I know with an inguinal hernia, the risk if left as is, is that the intestines that are "popping out" can get strangulated, which would be, I assume, very bad.

I had one fixed about 5-6 years ago. In and out same day, some soreness getting from a prone position to sitting up, or sitting down on the ****ter, but not a real big deal TBH.

Thanks fellas! I was thinking I might have it repaired, but I want to wait until I come back from Brazil in April. My wife bought me a speedo. I don't wanna walk around the beaches with stitches on my abdomen.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Let me get this straight: you work in an ER, your friend the doctor checked you out, but you came to the Hampur for a second opinion?

Sounds about right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The surgery is not that bad. Especially if it is a small hernia. My friend had one done about a year ago and all he had was a little bit of soreness.

I would just get it fixed if I were you. If/when it gets bigger you will regret not getting it done.
    This.

There is a likely a congenital weakness in the periotoneal wall near your umbilicus, that is why you have the hernia. Same is true of inguinal hernias, the canal the testes descend down from the abdomen does not close fully, leading to a weakness that results in your herniating the intestines upon exertion of some sort.

Get it fixed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NxYxJets View Post
    Thanks fellas! I was thinking I might have it repaired, but I want to wait until I come back from Brazil in April. My wife bought me a speedo. I don't wanna walk around the beaches with stitches on my abdomen.
    Maybe when they take one of your kidneys, you can ask the good doctor to patch up the hernia?

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    This.

There is a likely a congenital weakness in the periotoneal wall near your umbilicus, that is why you have the hernia. Same is true of inguinal hernias, the canal the testes descend down from the abdomen does not close fully, leading to a weakness that results in your herniating the intestines upon exertion of some sort.
    Get it fixed.
    Like taking a dump.

Seriously, I diagnosed one of my kids hernia's when said kid was an infant--as some kids will, this one had very bad constipation and I saw a little bubble popping out on the lower abdomen when said kid was straining.

Surgery occured 3 days later and everything has been fine since then.

_

your wife wants you to wear a speedo? In public? really? Is she European? If not, then do not trust her motives!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

That seems like a sound reason to put off surgery for a condition that could easily deteriotate if you don't get it fixed.

You are officially in the running for Hampur Top Ten.

We have now reached the point where venturing into the Hampur has become similar to speaking to one's 85 year-old relatives about their various maladies. Please, mods, for the love of all things holy, start a medical forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Let me get this straight: you work in an ER, your friend the doctor checked you out, but you came to the Hampur for a second opinion?

Sounds about right.
    I have been reading here long enough to know that there is sound advice in the Hampur.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That seems like a sound reason to put off surgery for a condition that could easily deteriotate if you don't get it fixed.

You are officially in the running for Hampur Top Ten.
    It is not emergent. I trust what the doc says. Why wouldn't he want to get paid? I am insured. He is also a fellow Jet fan might I add. Being that it isn't that serious, I think putting it off until I get back from vacation is reasonable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    We have now reached the point where venturing into the Hampur has become similar to speaking to one's 85 year-old relatives about their various maladies. Please, mods, for the love of all things holy, start a medical forum.
    Can I be mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    your wife wants you to wear a speedo? In public? really? Is she European? If not, then do not trust her motives!
    She is from Brazil. They are more speedo shorts than traditional speedos.

Can I be mod?
    It's your fault. You started all of this. (Read as John Belushi) "Oh, I have cancer."

Jets Insider VIP
    The correct title of this thread should have been 'My wife bought me a Speedo, *****es!!!'

Jets Insider VIP
    I have been reading here long enough to know that there is sound advice in the Hampur.
    The man speaks the truth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    It's your fault. You started all of this. (Read as John Belushi) "Oh, I have cancer."
    LOL, I also brought you the Hampur Hits "Gettin' Scoped, *****es!!!!!", "Going under the knife, *****es!!!!!", and "My loose tooth". I wasn't a member here when I had my own hernia fixed. The cancer thread was epic, too bad Sooth nuked it in a drunken stupor.

LOL, I also brought you the Hampur Hits "Gettin' Scoped, *****es!!!!!", "Going under the knife, *****es!!!!!", and "My loose tooth". I wasn't a member here when I had my own hernia fixed. The cancer thread was epic, too bad Sooth nuked it in a drunken stupor.
    Maybe a name change is in order, "works" ( I like the ring of that; like JT morphing into "Things"). Something like JetHippokratesofKos.