Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could live with this (Charles Davis's) mock draft

Veteran

I could live with this (Charles Davis's) mock draft

I love the way the first 8 picks play out (and, yes, I'm the Dion Jordan camp).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...s-davis/165258

NFL Mock Draft: Early offensive tackle run

By Charles Davis |
    Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
    Published: March 5, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

PICK NO.

LUKE JOECKEL OTTEXAS A&M
    Yes, Joeckel's being challenged for the No. 1 spot, but he's still the guy at this point to supplement the Alex Smith acquisition.
    PICK NO.

ERIC FISHER OTCENTRAL MICHIGAN
    There's a big need for a pass rusher in Jacksonville -- what else is new? -- but this riser will help struggling young QB Blaine Gabbert.
    PICK NO.

SHARRIF FLOYD DTFLORIDA
    Tremendous season, tremendous NFL Scouting Combine. The Raiders get a building block who will make plays.
    PICK NO.

LANE JOHNSON OTOKLAHOMA
    Johnson's athleticism wowed at the combine. He's an excellent fit in Philly, with the expected tempo change on offense under Chip Kelly.
    PICK NO.

DEE MILLINER CBALABAMA
    Milliner quieted speed concerns at the combine. The Lions need guys to cover NFC receiver threats.
    PICK NO.

JARVIS JONES OLBGEORGIA
    Questions abound with Jones' neck, but once he clears medical hurdles, look out. This is the best edge pass rusher in the 2013 NFL Draft.
    PICK NO.

GENO SMITH QBWEST VIRGINIA
    Another fresh start in Arizona. New head coach Bruce Arians begins his tenure with a quarterback he can build around ... and win with.
    PICK NO.

CHANCE WARMACK OGALABAMA
    There's some sentiment for a quarterback or wide receiver here, but the guard from Alabama improves the pass and run games. Warmack's one of the best overall players in this draft class.
    PICK NO.

DION JORDAN DEOREGON
    After shoulder surgery, Jordan will need to get bigger and stronger, but his versatility and speed will help Gang Green in a big way.
    PICK NO.

JONATHAN COOPER OGNORTH CAROLINA
    Another top-level offensive lineman who will help a young QB get comfortable by creating space for Chris Johnson, who's hungry for another CJ2K season.
    PICK NO.

STAR LOTULELEI DTUTAH
    Lotulelei had a heart-condition scare in Indianapolis, and NFL teams will await the results of further testing. If everything checks out, the Chargers get an active, versatile front man.
    PICK NO.

CORDARRELLE PATTERSON WRTENNESSEE
    A crying need meets its match. The Dolphins lack a dynamic playmaker on the perimeter, and Mr. Patterson fills that role.
    PICK NO.

XAVIER RHODES CBFLORIDA ST.
    Rhodes is the long, big corner (6-foot-1 1/2, 210 pounds) that Tampa has been seeking to fill the hole vacated by Aqib Talib.
    PICK NO.

SHELDON RICHARDSON DTMISSOURI
    A gifted defensive tackle who can play defensive end (and was even used as a linebacker at times at Missouri). The Panthers need a playmaking DT.
    PICK NO.

BARKEVIOUS MINGO DELSU
    The Saints have a new defensive coordinator for the third time in three years. Rob Ryan will turn "KeKe" loose, making life difficult for opposing quarterbacks.
    PICK NO.

KEENAN ALLEN WRCALIFORNIA
    With the first of two first-round picks, the Rams grant Sam Bradford's request, delivering a strong, sure-handed receiver.
    PICK NO.

KENNY VACCARO SSTEXAS
    Not sure a running back will be ranked this highly. Vaccaro is a sure tackler who can cover, too. Not to mention, he offers insurance for Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark, both in their 30s.
    PICK NO.

D.J. FLUKER OTALABAMA
    The O-line overhaul continues. Fluker and Tyron Smith give the Cowboys two young bookends to build around.
    PICK NO.

ZIGGY ANSAH DEBYU
    Surprised? Well, the Giants love pass rushers -- and know how to develop them. Ansah's a project with huge potential.
    PICK NO.

TYLER EIFERT TENOTRE DAME
    Brandon Marshall was targeted at an astounding pace in 2012. It's time to get him -- and quarterback Jay Cutler -- some help in the form of a top-rated tight end.
    PICK NO.

BJOERN WERNER DEFLORIDA ST.
    The German-born defensive end will benefit greatly from playing in Mike Zimmer's defense.
    PICK NO.

ERIC REID FSLSU
    Many people have Florida safety Matt Elam rated higher -- and he's a tremendous player -- but I'm a big fan of this rover from LSU. I like his superior length against tight ends in today's game.
    PICK NO.

SYLVESTER WILLIAMS DTNORTH CAROLINA
    The Vikings pride themselves on playing strong defense, and their front four could use an infusion of youth. The big man from Chapel Hill will help.
    PICK NO.

JAMIE COLLINS OLBSOUTHERN MISS
    You might not know much about this terrific player, who blew up in Indianapolis, but he's more than a workout warrior -- he plays fast, too.
    PICK NO.

SAM MONTGOMERY DELSU
    Many people questioned Seattle's 2012 draft, but one year later, the Seahawks appear to be savants. This pick helps fortify their defensive front.
    PICK NO.

DAMONTRE MOORE DETEXAS A&M
    A tough combine might hurt his draft status, but the Packers are still seeking pressure opposite Clay Matthews.
    PICK NO.

TAVON AUSTIN WRWEST VIRGINIA
    Not only did he test through the roof in Indy, but he's that explosive in game action, too. Austin's a gamebreaker Andre Johnson would welcome with open arms.
    PICK NO.

ALEC OGLETREE ILBGEORGIA
    A top-10 talent who might slide due to off-the-field concerns. If so, Ogletree's speed will make an already great defense even better.
    PICK NO.

DESMOND TRUFANT CBWASHINGTON
    A four-year starter at Washington, Trufant does not back down. A tremendous Senior Bowl week really helped his draft stock.
    PICK NO.

ZACH ERTZ TESTANFORD
    The Falcons need pass rushers. And cover guys, too. But even if Tony Gonzalez returns for one more season, this is a need pick of a highly ranked talent.
    PICK NO.

JUSTIN HUNTER WRTENNESSEE
    Randy Moss is exiting. Mario Manningham is recovering from a knee injury. This flyer from Tennessee struggled at times last year, but he's ready to provide a true deep threat for " Optimus Prime," Colin Kaepernick.
    PICK NO.

MANTI TE'O ILBNOTRE DAME
    NOT the next Ray Lewis, but who is? Highly productive (and scrutinized), Te'o can be a solid addition to a proud defense.

How do you like this one?

9. New York Jets: Alec Ogletree, outside linebacker, Georgia

The Jets bid farewell to several defensive veterans in the past few weeks, including Eric Smith, Bart Scott and Calvin Pace. They’ll look to reload with some defensive playmakers in the draft. Ogletree’s a great place to start. A converted safety, he played both the inside and outside linebacker positions in Georgia’s 3-4 scheme, too.
    Numerous off-field concerns, including a four-game suspension at the start of the season and DUI earlier this month, could ding Ogletree’s draft stock. I think he’s a good fit in New York, if they’re willing to gamble on a guy with some red flags.
    John Idzik was in the room when the Seahawks rolled the dice on Bruce Irvin last year; I think his first pick as GM of the Jets is Ogletree this year.

30. New York Jets (via trade with Atlanta Falcons): EJ Manuel, quarterback, Florida State

Another trade! This is the beauty of a mock draft in February or March; you can do these. I’ve had Manuel listed as a first-round pick since December, and I think his stock will rise even more after his Pro Day. One of the few quarterbacks in this draft who’s played in a pro-style offense and could be effective in new read-option offenses, he’s a bit more versatile than some of the other prospects.
    He’s 6-4, 240 pounds, can move, and is an all-around wonderful kid. I know Mark Sanchez is due to make a lot of money next year, but I think Manuel could make a lot of sense in Jets green. If the Jets don’t roll the dice and take him at 9, I wouldn’t be surprised if they maneuvered a bit to get him somewhere at the end of the first round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/p...k-draft-022813

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    How do you like this one?

9. New York Jets: Alec Ogletree, outside linebacker, Georgia

The Jets bid farewell to several defensive veterans in the past few weeks, including Eric Smith, Bart Scott and Calvin Pace. They’ll look to reload with some defensive playmakers in the draft. Ogletree’s a great place to start. A converted safety, he played both the inside and outside linebacker positions in Georgia’s 3-4 scheme, too.
    Numerous off-field concerns, including a four-game suspension at the start of the season and DUI earlier this month, could ding Ogletree’s draft stock. I think he’s a good fit in New York, if they’re willing to gamble on a guy with some red flags.
    John Idzik was in the room when the Seahawks rolled the dice on Bruce Irvin last year; I think his first pick as GM of the Jets is Ogletree this year.

30. New York Jets (via trade with Atlanta Falcons): EJ Manuel, quarterback, Florida State

Another trade! This is the beauty of a mock draft in February or March; you can do these. I’ve had Manuel listed as a first-round pick since December, and I think his stock will rise even more after his Pro Day. One of the few quarterbacks in this draft who’s played in a pro-style offense and could be effective in new read-option offenses, he’s a bit more versatile than some of the other prospects.
    He’s 6-4, 240 pounds, can move, and is an all-around wonderful kid. I know Mark Sanchez is due to make a lot of money next year, but I think Manuel could make a lot of sense in Jets green. If the Jets don’t roll the dice and take him at 9, I wouldn’t be surprised if they maneuvered a bit to get him somewhere at the end of the first round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/p...k-draft-022813
    Hate the second pick. First one I can live with, albeit the fact that he's slated to go lower right now because of his off the field issues. I'd rather two different picks altogether.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Hate the second pick. First one I can live with, albeit the fact that he's slated to go lower right now because of his off the field issues. I'd rather two different picks altogether.
    This.

_

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Ogletree at 9 just isn't doing it for me, but I suppose a trade down is a tall order with this draft. A team jumping back into the bottom of the first to take Manuel wouldn't surprise me, just not sure I want it to be the Jets -- love the potential, but they better be damn sure about this kid if they're going to use "multiple" draft picks to get him.

Hall Of Fame
    I happen to think all the players could become good pros but I just don't like the scenarios and how they would fit with the Jets.

Jordan is a potential Maybin and that would basically be his role. Ogletree is a great talent but IMO is best suited in a 4-3. And EJ is not a first round pick IMO. His stock is soaring and somebody will reach for him bc they need a QB. I just hope we are not the team to do it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Ogletree at 9 just isn't doing it for me, but I suppose a trade down is a tall order with this draft. A team jumping back into the bottom of the first to take Manuel wouldn't surprise me, just not sure I want it to be the Jets -- love the potential, but they better be damn sure about this kid if they're going to use "multiple" draft picks to get him.
    They were damn sure about Sanchez (who every expert had as the number 2 QB and a top 10 pick that year) and look how much Jets Nation hates him now?

Emanuel isn't even a consensus first rounder.

This "damn sure" thing only works out if the QB works out.

If it doesn't work out--Idzik will be called "f*cking Idzik" in 3.2 years (well, if he gives him a contract extension ).

_

I'm not a fan of the Jordan pick. I keep hearing good all around player with some pass rushing ability. I don't want Calvin Pace or ryan Thomas version 2. I want a guy that gets after the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Jordan pick. I keep hearing good all around player with some pass rushing ability. I don't want Calvin Pace or ryan Thomas version 2. I want a guy that gets after the QB.
    Depends who you listen to/believe..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    They were damn sure about Sanchez (who every expert had as the number 2 QB and a top 10 pick that year) and look how much Jets Nation hates him now?

_
    I'm not sure this is accurate. Cimini claims there were many Jet scouts who preferred Josh Freeman, so it was not a unanimous decision.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not sure this is accurate. Cimini claims there were many Jet scouts who preferred Josh Freeman, so it was not a unanimous decision.
    No, I didn't mean the Jets brass--I'm talking about all the draft experts leading up to the draft. Stafford was almost unanimously number 1 and Sanchez was almost unanimously number 2--that some in the Jets FO may have preferred Freeman does not change that.

Clearly Sanchez was thought of as a top or one of the top QBs that year--clearly a first rounder and by all accounts a clear top 10 pick. Revisionist history does not change that.

We obvioulsy felt "damn sure" about him and we moved up with multiple picks to get him.

And we failed.

Moving up again and giving up multiple picks--into the late first round--for a guy no one has as a first rounder and no one can come to a consensus on is just repeating history.

And you know what they say when you repeat history hoping for a different outcome?

_

If we draft EJ in the first round, then I am done being a Jets fan. This is coming from a senior at FSU.

All Pro
    Oh man. That's bad.

I like Manuel but nowhere near the 1st round. I'd rather pick Barkley at 9 and I'm not in love with that idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Oh man. That's bad.

I like Manuel but nowhere near the 1st round. I'd rather pick Barkley at 9 and I'm not in love with that idea either.
    I think Manuel would be a real steal in the 3rd round after we address two major needs in rounds 1 and 2 (OLB/G/RB/S), but in the 2nd round I do not like the pick.

@ESPNNewYork: McShay's new mock draft: Mingo to #Jets. http://t.co/tXQXFEv32g @RichCimini #NYJets #NFL

All Pro
    I love the way the first 8 picks play out (and, yes, I'm the Dion Jordan camp).
    Really? You could live with getting your player of choice in a 1 round mock draft? Insane! ...how about buffalo getting the best all around player in the draft and Mia scoring Patterson? Care to comment since you can live with this draft?

Whenever I see things like "I could live with this draft" or "Check this out"... it's the same thing... today's selection from the OLB Rolodex.

Can't wait to see the reactions when we don't pick any of them in rnd 1.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Really? You could live with getting your player of choice in a 1 round mock draft? Insane! ...how about buffalo getting the best all around player in the draft and Mia scoring Patterson? Care to comment since you can live with this draft?

Whenever I see things like "I could live with this draft" or "Check this out"... it's the same thing... today's selection from the OLB Rolodex.

Can't wait to see the reactions when we don't pick any of them in rnd 1.
    Bro, it's a subjective exercise. Quit getting so offended every time someone advocates for a position that you disagree with. We get it, you're in favor of going with an OG and last year you were pounding the table for a WR in round 1. And, yeah, I'm pulling for an OLB, which is where I'm seeing the most value (and the greater likelihood, I might add), sorry you don't agree. Time will tell whose opinion and prediction are correct.

As for your calling me out for not commenting on the Bills and Phins picks, I guess I've accepted that they'll probably end up taking a good player with the freakin 8th and 12th picks in this draft, so I'm not going to let that affect my opinion of the Jets' draft picks. But let me know if you find a mock that has either team taking a Denard Robinson or Colin Klein with those picks. And, c'mon, the Jets are rebuilding so I'm not stressing about what other teams are doing right now.
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 03-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.

All Pro
    Bro, it's a subjective exercise. Quit getting so offended every time someone advocates for a position that you disagree with. We get it, you're in favor of going with an OG and last year you were pounding the table for a WR in round 1. And, yeah, I'm pulling for an OLB, which is where I'm seeing the most value (and the greater likelihood, I might add), sorry you don't agree. Time will tell whose opinion and prediction are correct, but it sure as hell won't be solved on this board.

As for your calling me out for not commenting on the Bills and Phins picks, I guess I've accepted that they'll probably end up taking a good player with the freakin 8th and 12th picks in this draft, so I'm not going to let that affect my opinion of the Jets' draft picks. But let me know if you find a mock that has either team taking a Denard Robinson or Colin Klein with those picks. And, c'mon, the Jets are rebuilding so I'm not stressing about what other teams are doing right now.
    Couple things.

I appreciate you being a good sport about all this, but I actually don't know who i want this year. Well, I do, but Floyd is not happening for a litany of reasons... but the top end of this draft is a damn mess. What's to like? OG, I guess? If ever there as a year to trade right out of the first...

And this temperamental thing I do about OLB is a yearly affair. It's the least understood position by fans, yet the most heavy jerked off to. Effective pass rushers come from all levels of the draft.

D. Moore is the only guy worth taking at #9, and thats assuming Rex & Co. have a conversation with the man about what happened this offseason. He's the only one that will naturally do what we want him to do, (as opposed praying the others can adapt)

Bro, it's a subjective exercise. Quit getting so offended every time someone advocates for a position that you disagree with. We get it, you're in favor of going with an OG and last year you were pounding the table for a WR in round 1. And, yeah, I'm pulling for an OLB, which is where I'm seeing the most value (and the greater likelihood, I might add), sorry you don't agree. Time will tell whose opinion and prediction are correct.

It is not as bad as him picking Ogeltree for the pats

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Couple things.

I appreciate you being a good sport about all this, but I actually don't know who i want this year. Well, I do, but Floyd is not happening for a litany of reasons... but the top end of this draft is a damn mess. What's to like? OG, I guess? If ever there as a year to trade right out of the first...

And this temperamental thing I do about OLB is a yearly affair. It's the least understood position by fans, yet the most heavy jerked off to. Effective pass rushers come from all levels of the draft.

D. Moore is the only guy worth taking at #9, and thats assuming Rex & Co. have a conversation with the man about what happened this offseason. He's the only one that will naturally do what we want him to do, (as opposed praying the others can adapt)
    No worries, I appreciate your passion. For the record, I'm not against going with Cooper or Warmack in the first, and that would indeed be the safer route to go (and theres certainly something to be said for that) but i guess where we disagree is that effective pass rushers can be found later in the draft. That's my feeling with OGs, whereas elite pass rushers seem harder to come by after round 1.