Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagles will release CB Nnamdi Asomugha today

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There is definitely some truth to this.

I also think the philly situation couldnt have been worse for him. Not only did they play zone which is not his strong suit, but their DC was basically an offensive line coach (a decision that IMO does not get enough scrutiny for being absolutely ridiculously stupid).
    It would be similar to Revis playing in the Dungy Tampa D...

The guy's a good Man cover corner. He cannot play the run at all. You have to realize why Asomugha was so bad there:

They had one of the smallest D-lines in the league, meaning the corners were in zone alot to support the run. He was ultimately paid like Revis, but can't play the run or zone like him and as such, suffered.

As such, his pay should be down around 4 million a season.

He would make a decent piece for this team, but outside of filling the roster, there's no reason to pay anybody above the veteran minimum until next offseason.

This year is a total loss. They don't have the cap flexibility or roster to do anything worth a crap and totally need to completely make over the coaching staff to better match reality.

Rex Ryan likes to pretend it's in the early to mid 1980's but the truth is that this is an offensive league. The Ravens just won the Super Bowl by choosing a more offensive-minded coach over Ryan.

Time to follow suit.

Somebody posted getting Manuel by trading Revis to the Falcons or Niners late in the first, and it's not a bad idea.

I still like the idea of trying to get multiple #1's in the 2014 draft, but other teams with bad rosters are going to be trying to do that, too.

I don't think its feasible this year. The first round of this draft is too crappy. The 2014 draft looks too enticing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I won't believe this is going to happen until I hear it from "a source familiar with the situation"
    LMAO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Should have traded him to San Fran for their recently acquired 2nd.
    No way the 49ers would have assumed his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Speaking of that, your team might want to take a look at Nnamdi. You have the money to do it and he fits the Pats "reclamation project" for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I really question how good he was to begin with. Because how could a CB
    with that kind of reputation fall off the map so quickly. My thinking is OAK
    was so bad that nobody bothered to throw to his side. Therefore everyone
    thought he was great, add in the fact that Davis gave him that ridiculous
    contract and you get a phony rep as the best CB
    You don't think it could be something as silly a reason as hype surrounding that absurd contract that Al Davis gave him? I'm beginning to think so.

But being fair, it also could be something as simple as coaching I would think. Not coaching a player like Aso to what he does best could be a reason as to why his play fell off so sharply. Either way, a big, huge disappointment for the Eagles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Speaking of that, your team might want to take a look at Nnamdi. You have the money to do it and he fits the Pats "reclamation project" for this year.
    I'd be all for that, especially with Dennard's situation up in the air.

The Patriots keep freeing up cap space each year (they are always proud of the fact that they cut players before they get too pricey/old) and they never land any significant free agents. I am starting to get the feeling that players no longer want to play for Bill.

That may not be an issue now because they still have Brady, but what happens when Brady leaves and all that is left is this:

We know how things went in Cleveland for Bill.

All Pro
    SIGN THIS BEA.......

oh wait this isn't 2011......

Revis could play in a Tampa 2. Would it be a relative waste of his talents? Sure. But Revis can play zone when asked and is a willing run defender.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It would be interesting to see how Revis does in the NFC.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This team gets it. If you're going to start over? Start over.
    Lurie has been a very good owner given his short time in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    I have to think this will have some effect on the market for top notch corners. And not a positive effect at that.

$10 million per year?

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I really question how good he was to begin with. Because how could a CB
    with that kind of reputation fall off the map so quickly. My thinking is OAK
    was so bad that nobody bothered to throw to his side. Therefore everyone
    thought he was great, add in the fact that Davis gave him that ridiculous
    contract and you get a phony rep as the best CB

They mis-used him just like the charges did with Cro- Cro was great his first tow years there then they switched to a zone and he was lost. Some corners can only play zone- some corners can only play man on press. Some guys like Law, Revis, joseph can play both.

Joke.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Joke.
    Yea, I got it about 2 hours later.

Yea, I got it about 2 hours later.
    Same time frame it takes for me to hear what my wife is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Wow, was Rex ever wrong about Aso. I'm sure he thought Aso was top notch. The fact is, he isn't even close.
    The entire NFL thought Aso was top notch he along with Revis are the two best CB's of the past 10 years. How can anyone blame Rex for wanting Aso? And for the record I did not want Aso I wanted to resign Cro.

i would have normally said no as the pats play a Zone, but they let Talib pretty much just cover one guy when he was brought in, Did they think he could not play zone or whether they did not have the time to teach him the system who knows. But if they want to press, picking up Aso to go along with Talib on the outside and with Dennard in the slot then Wilson and McCourty as spilt safeties is something I would like to see, Dennard, Wilson and McCourty are allon rookie deals, if Talib would sign for 8M and Aso 5M I could see it working.

But then again he is 31 some corners just fall off, Dion Sanders did.
    Last edited by patman; 03-06-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There is definitely some truth to this.

I also think the philly situation couldnt have been worse for him. Not only did they play zone which is not his strong suit, but their DC was basically an offensive line coach (a decision that IMO does not get enough scrutiny for being absolutely ridiculously stupid).
    Thank You!!!!

Coaching matters despite what some think out here.....