Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Cromartie

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    I don't understand why this hasn't been discussed more and if it has why we haven't heard more about it. I like Cromartie a lot and completely understand the idea of not being able to keep a high priced CB when the team is essentially going to be in a rebuilding mode. However, you have a guy like Revis who's value is low right now and Cro who's value is probably never going to be higher. Would it make sense to explore trading Cro to free up some space to sign Revis? I can't except Cro to continue to play on the same level he did last year especially when he publicly admitted how much he learned and was motivated by Revis.
    You people never cease to amaze me. You sound like Revis talking about making 6 mil, when he got all his money front loaded. Cromartie's deal pays him 8 mil a year tops. You can't just go by this year's cap number. Trade him now and take a 10mil cap hit anyway. Btw Revis wants at least 15 mil, plus he'll want it up front, and then he'll want more on the back end. Also there's the fact that Revis is going to want to test FA next year which is why he had it written into his contract.

Who is to say Revis will still be as good as he was?

I find the entire prospect of this guy not immediately begging on a one year deal for about 8 million is nuts.

He plays a speed position and has been a 4.3 guy his entire career. Everybody says his technique is flawless, but he's technically undersized and even then, 4.35 is considered on the lower end of speed.

It's why he fell to the Jets at all. Now he's coming off an ACL.

No matter how bad Cro is ever injured, you cannot take his 6'2" frame away from him.

Trading him would be ridiculous. Revis has to go. No CB is worth what he's asking. Rod Woodson in his prime wouldn't be worth that and he's probably the best CB in history.

No way would I deal Cro because if and when we trade Revis, we'd have nobody worth mentioning back there aside from Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 224B View Post
    No way would I deal Cro because if and when we trade Revis, we'd have nobody worth mentioning back there aside from Wilson.
    You understand that Cro's last year is next year anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Who is to say Revis will still be as good as he was?

I find the entire prospect of this guy not immediately begging on a one year deal for about 8 million is nuts.

He plays a speed position and has been a 4.3 guy his entire career. Everybody says his technique is flawless, but he's technically undersized and even then, 4.35 is considered on the lower end of speed.

It's why he fell to the Jets at all. Now he's coming off an ACL.

No matter how bad Cro is ever injured, you cannot take his 6'2" frame away from him.

Trading him would be ridiculous. Revis has to go. No CB is worth what he's asking. Rod Woodson in his prime wouldn't be worth that and he's probably the best CB in history.
    This is the over whelming response by smart fans and almost every analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You people never cease to amaze me. You sound like Revis talking about making 6 mil, when he got all his money front loaded. Cromartie's deal pays him 8 mil a year tops. You can't just go by this year's cap number. Trade him now and take a 10mil cap hit anyway. Btw Revis wants at least 15 mil, plus he'll want it up front, and then he'll want more on the back end. Also there's the fact that Revis is going to want to test FA next year which is why he had it written into his contract.
    $8M a year tops? His total compensation is $10.75M this year and $10.75M next year. Higher than Revis'.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 03-06-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The big trade-off with Revis is that he's gonna want a new contract every 2 years.
    A biggER contract. It's like, whatever cap increase is supposed to be for Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You understand that Cro's last year is next year anyway.
    I know that and seeing we'll be in better shape next year cap-wise and he'll have another good year under his belt, I am quite sure the Jets would lock him up and he wouldn't be nearly as costly and vocal as Revis is now.

trading cromartie

if the jets fans are thinking of trading cromartie.then who do they think would replace him.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Revis will probably be traded next week...why in the world would you want to get rid of our next best corner? Cro has played more good than bad and he really stepped it up when Revis went down with the injury....Cro is one of the best corners in the league and still young....no way the Jets will trade him...with all the moves that has and will happen, the Jets still will have a top 10 defense going into the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Now would be a great time to trade him, as you are correct, his value has never been higher.

He also is not great with his technique....his ability stems from amazing athleticism, so he is more succeptible to a drop off in performance due to age.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but if atlanta wants CB help, they have a late second round pick which is not that crazy for Cro given their "win now" situation.

Late see ...

Revis : All world CB, coming off ACL, want to be highest paid defensive player ... Every two years

Cro: All Pro CB, has never had a salary dispute

Hmmmmm

This thread belongs in dump.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    $8M a year tops? His total compensation is $10.75M this year and $10.75M next year. Higher than Revis'.
    Shut up Revis. No one is buying it anymore. Average per year of contract is all that matters.

Revis extension:

4 years

Year one (this year): 4 million base (fully guaranteed). Escalators based on play. 12 million ceiling.

Year two: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only) Escalators based on play. 13 million ceiling.

Year three: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only) Escalators based on play. 13 million ceiling.

Year four: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only). Escalators based on play. 15 million ceiling.

Holdout clause/renegotiation clause.

Injury guarantees include 4 million in year 1/4 million in any other year.

total: 4 year/53 million - 16 million guaranteed. Most escalators involve playing certain percentage of defensive snaps, reaching the playoffs, reaching the Superbowl.

Reaching and winning the Superbowl, give him the full amount of the entire contract.

Superbowl MVP, give him an additional 2 million for the remainder of his contract. (per year).

All these caveats make him focus on the individual seasons instead of looking every other year for guaranteed money. Extend him NOW before he plays with his injury.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Revis extension:

4 years

Year one (this year): 4 million base (fully guaranteed). Escalators based on play. 12 million ceiling.

Year two: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only) Escalators based on play. 13 million ceiling.

Year three: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only) Escalators based on play. 13 million ceiling.

Year four: 6 million base (guaranteed for play only). Escalators based on play. 15 million ceiling.

total: 4 year/53 million - 16 million guaranteed. Most escalators involve playing certain percentage of defensive snaps, reaching the playoffs, reaching the Superbowl.

Reaching and winning the Superbowl, give him the full amount of the entire contract.

Superbowl MVP, give him an additional 2 million for the remainder of his contract. (per year).

All these caveats make him focus on the individual seasons instead of looking every other year for guaranteed money. Extend him NOW before he plays with his injury.
    I sign on for that, but Revis would be insulted by that offer.

Because:

A. Revis brings back more value.

and

B. Woody Johnson isn't butt hurt with Cromartie's agents.

I sign on for that, but Revis would be insulted by that offer.
    He won't get much better coming off an injury like this. He also has to worry about his decline in play. What if he's never the same?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Shut up Revis. No one is buying it anymore. Average per year of contract is all that matters.
    +1 First 2 years of the Revis contract was over 16 million.. All contracts Manning,Brady,Bree's,Rogers all have low years.. Of course the mighty Mevis should never have a low year according to his worshiping fanboys..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 First 2 years of the Revis contract was over 16 million.. All contracts Manning,Brady,Bree's,Rogers all have low years.. Of course the mighty Mevis should never have a low year according to his worshiping fanboys..
    What bothers me is that the fact that he cares NOT for winning a Superbowl goes ignored.

He doesn't care about hoisting a Lombardi trophy. If he does, it's a tertiary goal at best.

All Pro
    He won't get much better coming off an injury like this. He also has to worry about his decline in play. What if he's never the same?
    No I Agree this is about what he'll end up getting, but he won't believe it until he hits free agency. It wouldn't shock me if he sits out a couple games when no one gives him what he wants. Revis bein Revis

Hall Of Fame
    Revis extension:

4 years

There is ZERO chance Revis considers that contract for even a split second. Guys like Revis do not have more than half their yearly salary as at risk, incentive driven salary. Especially considering the state that the Jets are in right now, when all the playoff and Super Bowl money would be pretty much unattainable in the near future.